Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Trip report from ten minutes of play: it's the Moog you always wanted but could never afford. It looks like a Moog, plays like a Moog and was a tenth of the price. 350 euros purchased a lot of nice sounds in this thing. Everyone should have one. It feels nice and solid, even though it's pretty light. Tonight is going to be spent patching this into the 0-Coast and getting experimental.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
ugh if i go to 12u it gon be full awful quick if i go for that drat D

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

drat it Plavski I was hoping you'd say it's terrible and not worth the money. I honestly think stuff like the D, Mom32, DFAM, 0-coast, etc are kind of the perfect thing for me. I love the idea of modular, but honestly buying individual modules is mostly too expensive for me and results in really terrible analysis paralysis, so I can't see myself ever having much more than my Cell 90... but these semi-modular things scratch the itch perfectly for me.

Speaking of, anybody messed around with a Plankton Electronics Ants!?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Alas, it's really fun and really cheap. A chicken in every pot, a Moog in every Eurorack!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After looking at the videos I realized I probably have to get a Minibrute 2. Actually maybe I need a 2S.

God, Arturia. Just take my money already :qq:/:homebrew:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'd love to see a new groovebox/sequencer soon. I've heard some flimsy rumors about a redesigned Circuit and have been holding out until post-NAMM to get one.

toadee posted:

So wait, I'm confused. Originally I read it as the RackBrute would fit a Eurorack case around/on top of your Minibrute2, but is it actually a Minibrute2 without the keys? Keys are like a death sentence for me. I have no idea why people insist on putting them on everything they sell, especially if they don't offer a desk/rack version. What the gently caress am I gonna do with 14 different 2-4 octave keyboards?
It looks like a 3U and a 6U case, so there will be a couple different ways you could configure a "stack".

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Know Such Peace posted:

I'd love to see a new groovebox/sequencer soon. I've heard some flimsy rumors about a redesigned Circuit and have been holding out until post-NAMM to get one.

Have you played with the Deluge?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

so I can't see myself ever having much more than my Cell 90...
mine was all i needed til i took it onstage and had to gently caress with other hardware to make poo poo happen, i went 6u to get echo and performance control in my rack (and a 2nd vco why not), and now i am lookin to expand to 12u because my music 8 just 4 ears anymore, and LZX gear needs a lot of support modules

i mostly plan 2 leave 6u by the tv and vidmixer in the studio, and keep my current 6u setup cuz holy poo poo its finally got enough function gens

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

mine was all i needed til i took it onstage and had to gently caress with other hardware to make poo poo happen, i went 6u to get echo and performance control in my rack (and a 2nd vco why not), and now i am lookin to expand to 12u because my music 8 just 4 ears anymore, and LZX gear needs a lot of support modules

i mostly plan 2 leave 6u by the tv and vidmixer in the studio, and keep my current 6u setup cuz holy poo poo its finally got enough function gens

I hear you on that... I think if I did stuff live I'd definitely feel like I'm limited with just 90hp, but I don't, and end up feeling like I don't use anything in there as much as I expected. I may just get a D and ditch my Braids, replace it with some more utility modules... so many plans that I really don't have money for.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I only over go play at noise shows or synth meets but yea not having delay/reverb somewhere easy to grab sucks. I usually when stuff through the A4k or OTO boxes for fx.
I picked up an Erica DSP but haven't found a spot for it just yet. Don't want to get too crazy with fx in the modular, just doesn't fit how I want to use it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Plavski posted:

Have you played with the Deluge?
I have not. It looks nice, but I'm looking for something portable and more tactile than my iPad. I'd really love to see a Push-style device that works in iOS. If Ableton Live isn't going mobile anytime soon, I'd love to see Korg pick up the slack and make a high-end Gadget controller.

Fake edit: For some reason, I thought the Deluge was huge. I'll need to look into it some more.

Real Edit: Ok. The Deluge is pretty much a Circuit Pro, which is exactly what I was looking for. I love what I've seen of the shift/zoom workflow. Samples with time-stretching is a huge bonus.

Device-wide recording/re-sampling: :vince:

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 16, 2018

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
ahhhh gently caress i didn't know the behringer model d was gonna be eurorack compatible! now i'm gonna have to buy one...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Given how cheap other Eurorack-ready semimodular/modular synths (Behringer-D, M-32/DFaM, Minibrute 2/2S, etc) are, is there any reason to like the Roland/Malekko System 500?

I see the appeal of getting specific modules but at 2 large for a complete lunchbox it seems way overpriced unless you look at it as a collection of modules and a case that you could buy individually and not a complete monosynth.

I really lusted after it for, like, a year after it came out but it seems to have kinda flopped (idk, maybe it’s successful for eurorack?) and been swiftly outcompeted by a few synths that have come since for way less money. I suppose I could say the same thing about the Model-1m? Am I wrong about either of these?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I broke down and pre-ordered the D. huehuehue

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

what do you guys who use pedals with your synths use to power them? i haven't paid attention to pedals for awhile, wondering if there's something better or easier than my old 1spot adapter.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The appeal is it sounds like a Roland System100, nothing else sounds like it, basically. The Osc and filter architecture is quite different from the Moog stuff and definitely different from the Arturia stuff, so, it's gonna have it's own unique character. It will have that 'classic Roland sound'.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Know Such Peace posted:

I have not. It looks nice, but I'm looking for something portable and more tactile than my iPad. I'd really love to see a Push-style device that works in iOS. If Ableton Live isn't going mobile anytime soon, I'd love to see Korg pick up the slack and make a high-end Gadget controller.

Fake edit: For some reason, I thought the Deluge was huge. I'll need to look into it some more.

Real Edit: Ok. The Deluge is pretty much a Circuit Pro, which is exactly what I was looking for. I love what I've seen of the shift/zoom workflow. Samples with time-stretching is a huge bonus.

Device-wide recording/re-sampling: :vince:

It's pretty much what I wanted the OP-1 to be, but wasn't. It's too expensive for me though as it has no natural place in my rig. Wish it did, as it's a lovely, admirable piece of boutique kit.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

what do you guys who use pedals with your synths use to power them? i haven't paid attention to pedals for awhile, wondering if there's something better or easier than my old 1spot adapter.
I use one of these powerplants: https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm?ref=search_prv_9 It's pretty nice and pretty cheap.

Admiral Crackbar
Jan 4, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

You can get a multi-output power supply for pedals if you happen to be powering more than one of them. Some of them claim to regulate the power to eliminate 'noise' although that's probably mostly just to scam guitarists into spending exorbitant amounts on what's basically a power board for pedals. But if you just have the one then use your adapter, no point fixing what isn't broke.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Trig Discipline posted:

As someone who hasn't owned a hardware synth in forever, it really seems to me like there's just a flood of really neat-looking devices coming out at lower price points, way more than I can remember ten years ago or so. Is this some sort of golden age of mini synths, or have I just been oblivious until recently?

I think Eurorack and smaller companies like Arturia finally kicked the big manufacturers in the pants to start making things with knobs again. The big companies needed to overcome the design pain point of "design a new analog synthesizer on a board" and I'm sure sales slumps in the areas of Microkorgs, Ultranovas and such were enough to convince these companies they needed to do something. Also patch points are a great way to avoid menu diving and the the big companies see people aren't reluctant to have those on their gear either.

Or put another way, once the bigs realized people would pony up thousands of dollars for a eurorack rig, they realized maybe some knobs would help.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I put together an arp pattern, some drums on the Digitakt and patched the Moog and 0-Coast together through my Zoom pedal. I then tweaked knobs for 5 minutes. This is the result, unlistenable as it may be!

https://soundcloud.com/hugehand/five-minute-no-coast-moog-thing

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Plavski posted:

I put together an arp pattern, some drums on the Digitakt and patched the Moog and 0-Coast together through my Zoom pedal. I then tweaked knobs for 5 minutes. This is the result, unlistenable as it may be!

https://soundcloud.com/hugehand/five-minute-no-coast-moog-thing

There are some super interesting sounds in there and I didn't even find it that unlistenable with the beat behind it. But could you maybe take a break from gushing about the Behringer Model D because I don't have the money to buy one right now and that is probably not enough to stop me.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Given how cheap other Eurorack-ready semimodular/modular synths (Behringer-D, M-32/DFaM, Minibrute 2/2S, etc) are, is there any reason to like the Roland/Malekko System 500?

I see the appeal of getting specific modules but at 2 large for a complete lunchbox it seems way overpriced unless you look at it as a collection of modules and a case that you could buy individually and not a complete monosynth.

I really lusted after it for, like, a year after it came out but it seems to have kinda flopped (idk, maybe it’s successful for eurorack?) and been swiftly outcompeted by a few synths that have come since for way less money. I suppose I could say the same thing about the Model-1m? Am I wrong about either of these?

I liked the concept but not the execution, layout wise. The combination of euro height + sliders + jackfield on top and bottom was just too much. I would've been much more interested if they made it a little wider and did jacks off to one side or something. Nothing wrong with the sound, I think they really did a good job coping the Roland modular functionality. The 540 especially offers a LOT for the hp but just too cramped for my tastes.
The system whole plus the roland chassis I think is one for collectors. Unless you absolutely want one as "an instrument," there no compelling reason for it, imo.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
gently caress me

the s2 with an 84hp row sitting on top (new brutes are the same width of the keystep which is the same width as a rack so probably 84) is my ideal for modular and im seriously thinking about selling my ms20 mini for a setup like that

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

gently caress me

the s2 with an 84hp row sitting on top (new brutes are the same width of the keystep which is the same width as a rack so probably 84) is my ideal for modular and im seriously thinking about selling my ms20 mini for a setup like that
remember how you said this day would never come? i can still hear it repeating in my echophon :allears:

:getin:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I finally decided to pull the trigger or a hardware synth thing and I went with a Novation Circuit after much consideration. I got a used one off eBay but I think it might be borked. It sounds like there's a bit crusher and reverb effect on the drum samples and it persists through loading of the factory defaults on the Novation Component editor. It's on the latest firmware. Anyone got any ideas? May just send it back and eat the cost of shipping.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I finally decided to pull the trigger or a hardware synth thing and I went with a Novation Circuit after much consideration. I got a used one off eBay but I think it might be borked. It sounds like there's a bit crusher and reverb effect on the drum samples and it persists through loading of the factory defaults on the Novation Component editor. It's on the latest firmware. Anyone got any ideas? May just send it back and eat the cost of shipping.

Is anything lit up on the FX page?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Can you add more reverb?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfwTq7MjuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUQKHvmRb4

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
That's probably the best compact rack design I've seen. Even a hobbyist can probably get in modular now.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

gently caress the MicroMonsta is lush af. The arpeggiator is amazing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Plavski posted:

Is anything lit up on the FX page?

I don't have it front of me right this second but I remember the FX there was some stuff light up on the FX page.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I don't have it front of me right this second but I remember the FX there was some stuff light up on the FX page.

If you check the FX page, you might see lights under the macro encoders at the top. They indicate how much effect each channel has. The drums are the right most encoders on the FX page, 5-8. Your drum tracks might have FX put on them that you might have to reset. To change them, press a button on the top (delay) or bottom (reverb) rows and adjust the encoders.

You might also preview the samples in the components editor and see if they just sound effected by default.

Also, are you using a new session, or an old one that was there when you got it? Try from a blank session.

You might also want to get a different sound pack to change all the samples and session data. I'd highly recommend the Red Means Recording pack; I love it and have made loads of great pieces with it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Plavski posted:

If you check the FX page, you might see lights under the macro encoders at the top. They indicate how much effect each channel has. The drums are the right most encoders on the FX page, 5-8. Your drum tracks might have FX put on them that you might have to reset. To change them, press a button on the top (delay) or bottom (reverb) rows and adjust the encoders.

You might also preview the samples in the components editor and see if they just sound effected by default.

Also, are you using a new session, or an old one that was there when you got it? Try from a blank session.

You might also want to get a different sound pack to change all the samples and session data. I'd highly recommend the Red Means Recording pack; I love it and have made loads of great pieces with it.

I've tried it on a blank session and the samples sound like they're supposed to on the editor page. I'll check out that sample pack when I get a chance.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

If it sounds fine on a blank session then everything is perfect. You were just using a session where the previous owner had applied FX to the drum parts. Either delete the session, or embrace the discovered randomness and make something cool!

I'd also recommend BoBeats' tutorial series on the Circuit

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhS_pcpmMmT_VH3ilDKPFjvHJSHZdFKEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAZ-KGsLn4

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Plavski posted:

If it sounds fine on a blank session then everything is perfect. You were just using a session where the previous owner had applied FX to the drum parts. Either delete the session, or embrace the discovered randomness and make something cool!

I'd also recommend BoBeats' tutorial series on the Circuit

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhS_pcpmMmT_VH3ilDKPFjvHJSHZdFKEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAZ-KGsLn4

Unfortunately I was on a blank session. Super frustrated because I was looking forward to this. That's on me for getting a used unit.

BoBeats is great. His praise is largely the reason I went with a Circuit in the first place.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Unfortunately I was on a blank session. Super frustrated because I was looking forward to this. That's on me for getting a used unit.

BoBeats is great. His praise is largely the reason I went with a Circuit in the first place.

If you're still having the problem, could you make a video so we can see what is happening? Have you tried contacting Novation support? From what I understand, they're very helpful. Your box might well still be under warranty if it's faulty.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Plavski posted:

If you're still having the problem, could you make a video so we can see what is happening? Have you tried contacting Novation support? From what I understand, they're very helpful. Your box might well still be under warranty if it's faulty.

Ok, I recorded a quick phone video, here's an unlisted Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqGDuiPrEmU

This is from the "Peak Sample Pack" provided by Novation in the Components Editor. That is a fresh download to the Circuit without any knob twiddling. I doubt it will still be under warranty. I think I'll just send it back. I've been in contact with the seller and they've been very reasonable.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 17, 2018

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Korg leaks:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1197859-korg-prologue.html

Two models - 49 keys/8 voices, 61 keys/16 voices

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1197868-korg-volca-mix.html

Volca mixer, 4 channels

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mixer looks great for a little electrobusking rig :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
You know what would be cool, if they kept the sequencer on the mixer and let it do like volume and filter automation, with interpolation this time. I mean in techno you have only so many patterns of fade ins and outs etc. So you could punch in a basic track and focus completely on tweaking. It could even come with preset basic patterns and songs.