Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

euphronius posted:

I mean do you want to go on for posts and posts about the nature of the talking eagles .

I will admit you are correct to move on however my point stands .

If we take what we know about bald eagles and scale it up to a giant eagle, roughly how big would a big dump from the rear end of Gwaihir or Landroval be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

extra stout posted:

If we take what we know about bald eagles and scale it up to a giant eagle, roughly how big would a big dump from the rear end of Gwaihir or Landroval be?
I bet it could kill a goblin, at least. An uruk, maybe not.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My roommate calls me the windlord

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sassassin posted:

Wow Bongo Bill really blowing all our minds with this one.

Sometimes obvious things bear repeating.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Alright, here we go. Big wall of text about Boorman's doomed LOTR script ahead, stitched together from a couple sources:

Hey, thanks for posting this. I wonder if this script seemed as mad at the time as it does now...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
When did the new thread title come up? It's really good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

When did the new thread title come up? It's really good.

The Fault in Our Istari

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2CnLUSfWQ

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fRCXDsiKsA&t=37s

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Drug or Tolkien Elf?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol, "Elf. Nerdanel, wife of Feanor, is popular in "Silmarillion" fan fiction"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Porque no los dos?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kriegshammer, bitch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which part of the Silmarillion sounds most like a big fish story?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Which part of the Silmarillion sounds most like a big fish story?

Idk what this means but Melkor giving up his position as the most powerful angel so he can rule over/infuse into Arda is very 'big fish in small pond'

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A big fish story is the one that got away, a tall tale that grows in the telling and retelling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Perhaps the prophecy that Huan will meet his death fighting the greatest wolf to ever live, and the succession of wolf candidates.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was going to say Fingolfin fighting Morgoth in single combat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
War of Wrath easily. Sketchy as gently caress, who on earth is the source for this text? Can't be Earendil because he immediately fucks off to become a star after it happens.

e: I picked up Arda Reconstructed lately and I've been meaning to go through it together with Sil & HoME to see if I can work towards an in-universe "documentary hypothesis" of the Sil that might explain a few quirks, like its persistent claim that Gil-galad was Fingon's rightful heir when the overall plot shows pretty openly that it was Turgon.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 18, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

War of Wrath easily. Sketchy as gently caress, who on earth is the source for this text? Can't be Earendil because he immediately fucks off to become a star after it happens.

Presumably Elrond. I mean, it would take real cheek to just make up stuff about Earendil if you were anybody else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Presumably Elrond. I mean, it would take real cheek to just make up stuff about Earendil if you were anybody else.

I think it's safe to say that Elrond is the compiler of the final texts that B.B. translated from the elvish, but I can't see him as being the primary source for this material given that he was probably no more than a toddler at the time, and surely was not anywhere near Earendil during the battle in any case.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bilbo probably talked to a lot of elves during his time in Rivendell, maybe he took what ol' loremaster Elrond told him and got some secondary, maybe primary, sources from other folk there?

Do we know if any elf at Rivendell was alive during the first age? Glorfindel?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There could have been tons of no name elves there who came from the west.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Glorfindel is also a great potential candidate as a source because he died (forget when), went back to Mandos / valinor, then came.back to ME, so potentially conversed with the valar.

Also Gandalf or the other Istari could theoretically be sources.

Edit: looked it up, Glorfy died in the escape from Gondolin and returned in the second age as a sort of advance scout for the Istari.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 18, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

my bony fealty posted:

Bilbo probably talked to a lot of elves during his time in Rivendell, maybe he took what ol' loremaster Elrond told him and got some secondary, maybe primary, sources from other folk there?

Do we know if any elf at Rivendell was alive during the first age? Glorfindel?

Maybe Galadriel came visiting one day, who knows.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm gonna pretend that Tolkien intended to repurpose Ælfwine/Eriol and the Lost Tales story-telling framework into "here's how Bilbo learned all these elf myths"

drink deeply of the limpë, Bilbo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The thing is, unlike the Bragollach and Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the account of the War of Wrath is quite fragmentary and brief. It doesn’t even get its own chapter in the published Quenta but is appended to the Tale of Earendil. A lot more time is spent on what happened after the Battle was won than on the fighting itself. The narrator even mentions that the campaign of the Valar is poorly documented because the elves of Beleriand wound up having little enough to do with it — one rather gets the impression that the exile princes showed up too late to take much part. So I don’t think our source can be someone who got the Valar’s side of the story like Glorfindel. It may be that it’s just the story Elrond knew growing up. It spends the most detail on the aspects of the war that pertained to his father and his erstwhile guardians, Maglor and Maedhros.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

The thing is, unlike the Bragollach and Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the account of the War of Wrath is quite fragmentary and brief. It doesn’t even get its own chapter in the published Quenta but is appended to the Tale of Earendil. A lot more time is spent on what happened after the Battle was won than on the fighting itself. The narrator even mentions that the campaign of the Valar is poorly documented because the elves of Beleriand wound up having little enough to do with it — one rather gets the impression that the exile princes showed up too late to take much part. So I don’t think our source can be someone who got the Valar’s side of the story like Glorfindel. It may be that it’s just the story Elrond knew growing up. It spends the most detail on the aspects of the war that pertained to his father and his erstwhile guardians, Maglor and Maedhros.

Yup. It reads like a simplified version told to a child, which is why Elrond is the most likely source.

Glorfy tells kid Elrond: "Your dad was a big fancy hero and saved everyone. Then he went to a farm in the sky. See him? That's him there. Your mom too."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also your second and third dads robbed god and then committed suicide in agonies of guilt at their own moral collapse. Sleep well

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

A big fish story is the one that got away, a tall tale that grows in the telling and retelling.

Ancalagon was the size of a small horse.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

Ancalagon was the size of a small horse.

This. No dragon is breaking mountains when it died and you know that after one the storytellers just kept adding mountains. Probably just an actual horse that was particularly feisty.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

Also your second and third dads robbed god and then committed suicide in agonies of guilt at their own moral collapse. Sleep well

:vince:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

VanSandman posted:

Maybe Galadriel came visiting one day, who knows.

Well, she is Arwen's granny.

Going back to Boorman's LotR, there's a PDF of the script linked at http://cinetropolis.net/the-great-unmade-john-boormans-the-lord-of-the-rings/

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tbh that script kicks even more rear end than I expected

e: “An ORC TRUMPETEER is struck by arrows. Blood gushes out of the trumpet, and rains upon the orcs. This whips them into a lustful frenzy.”

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 29, 2018

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, I hadn't had a chance to read it before posting that link but my god it's cheered my commute up mightily.

quote:

BILBO is flushed and happy, but suddenly he sweeps around and he finds himself in GANDALF's arms, who leads him in a giddy twisting dance. He looks deep into BILBO's eyes and everything else becomes excluded, a confused whirl of colour, a blur of trees, lanterns, stars.

:swoon:

The kabuki catch-up play is loving amazing. There's no way it could ever live up to what I imagine, but Sauron swinging onto the stage like Tarzan and Saruman flipping his fake beard up to make long blonde hair to vamp Gandalf with made me laugh out loud on the train. I love this lovely script, though to be fair I'd probably hate (most of) it if it had ever made it to the screen.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yup. It reads like a simplified version told to a child, which is why Elrond is the most likely source.

Glorfy tells kid Elrond: "Your dad was a big fancy hero and saved everyone. Then he went to a farm in the sky. See him? That's him there. Your mom too."

I feel that way about the Hobbit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm still going strong with Tolkien professor lotr podcast. Episode 46. We just got to bree. It completely and utterly owns. (I skip the LOTRO stuff).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

I'm still going strong with Tolkien professor lotr podcast. Episode 46. We just got to bree. It completely and utterly owns. (I skip the LOTRO stuff).

I’ve been listening to his History of Middle-earth stuff instead. Treason of Isengard at the moment. It’s p good, I had never really paid attention to some of this early material like the bitchin’ early draft of “Earendil was a mariner” where he kills Ungoliant and flies off to the sun goddess(?) to become some kind of lightning deity, or his first attempt at writing Saruman’s appeal to Gandalf which is way creepier and subtler than the published version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I should listen to that too