Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Ahhh corporate IT. You guys aren't infallible, corporate IT is what gave me, a developer working with 100mil+ row datasets in-memory, a Surface Book with an i5 and 8GB of RAM.

We bought each developer whatever they want when they start and then every 2-3 years after that.

If you break your development environment it's your responsibility to fix.

And poo poo there wasn't even an IT department, I was just the only developer that knew anything about anything non-programming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Pivo posted:

Ahhh corporate IT. You guys aren't infallible, corporate IT is what gave me, a developer working with 100mil+ row datasets in-memory, a Surface Book with an i5 and 8GB of RAM.

I will have you know that I am very smart and attractive, which is course why I use macs.

but for real, I am just trying to find some sort of solution to this issue, I just recently started here and I am far and away the most knowledgeable person about macs and their use in an enterprise environment. It's been 6 years since anyone with any background in macs has worked here and we have a few hundred mac users, all of whom have local admin rights because of reasons. Also doing this while trying to reverse years of history between IT and everyone else fighting a sort of cold war because most people within IT here have refused to attempt to work with other departments, instead of dictating poo poo and talking down to everyone. If I came off as dismissive I didn't intend to, just trying to find a way to make everything work and maintain various requires compliance stuff.

I found a third party driver for HP printers that some people have had success with on High Sierra. I have a fixed the smb issues with high sierra 10.13.2 on the image I am building so thats not an issue at the moment, just have the weird HP xshow thing to try and figure out.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Pivo posted:

Speaking of developers, you guys ever hear of LaunchControl? http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/
It's a GUI for manipulating launchd. It's so much better than manually editing plists. Well worth the 12 CAD or whatever it was, if you touch launchd at all. Not only did I easily set up my processes the way I wanted, I found that I had tons of old things registered with launchd that didn't exist anymore or were very deprecated and failing.

well I have now, christ that seems useful.

Makes me want to share an admin script library for a shitload of useful things, but I can't remember where I found it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

funmanguy posted:

I will have you know that I am very smart and attractive, which is course why I use macs.

:smug: Macs are better for graphics design :smug:

*doesn't know how to deal with fonts going between windows/mac*

*can't figure out why 1300x900 image is so dang tiny on 5k iMac screen*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*gets every single colour looking hosed up*

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Pivo posted:

Speaking of developers, you guys ever hear of LaunchControl? http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/
It's a GUI for manipulating launchd. It's so much better than manually editing plists. Well worth the 12 CAD or whatever it was, if you touch launchd at all. Not only did I easily set up my processes the way I wanted, I found that I had tons of old things registered with launchd that didn't exist anymore or were very deprecated and failing.

I never quite understood what launchd or launch services d were, and was kind of hoping that link would clear it up. But I still don't know... It looks like a plist editor but how does that tie into launchd?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nude posted:

I never quite understood what launchd or launch services d were, and was kind of hoping that link would clear it up. But I still don't know... It looks like a plist editor but how does that tie into launchd?

launchd is like a mix of a daemon controller and crontab

Or if you're not a nix guy, think of it as a mix of Windows Services and Task Scheduler. crontab is deprecated on macOS, you're supposed to use launchd, and that's what I needed it for, to set up a regularly running task.

The wiki entry's not bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

*carefully calibrates color using Pantone kit*

*installs f.lux*

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.13.3 is out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also, Security Update 2018-001 for El Capitan, Sierra.

No notes on it yet, hopefully it's those Meltdown/Spectre fixes..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Pivo posted:

launchd is like a mix of a daemon controller and crontab

Or if you're not a nix guy, think of it as a mix of Windows Services and Task Scheduler. crontab is deprecated on macOS, you're supposed to use launchd, and that's what I needed it for, to set up a regularly running task.

The wiki entry's not bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd

Sorry I'm still not quite clear on one thing. From my understanding, launchd is an automated services for your computer. So you might use it if you wanted to delete some files in a folder every day at 9:00pm. I assume 3rd party applications can and do use it for the same reasons as well? Like Safari, iTunes, etc. I guess I'm asking if I see launchd or launchservicesd taking up a lot on my Activity Monitor one reason could be in fact because of a current application I have open that's using it right?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nude posted:

I assume 3rd party applications can and do use it for the same reasons as well? Like Safari, iTunes, etc. I guess I'm asking if I see launchd or launchservicesd taking up a lot on my Activity Monitor one reason could be in fact because of a current application I have open that's using it right?

Yes, third party applications do use launchd. Yes, a third party application may have installed a user agent or created a scheduled task that is failing poorly. Check Console.app for log spam, or use the trial version of LaunchControl to see if you can't find any obvious culprits.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Binary Badger posted:

Also, Security Update 2018-001 for El Capitan, Sierra.

No notes on it yet, hopefully it's those Meltdown/Spectre fixes..

At a glance it looks like it addresses meltdown and various other kernel vulnerabilities for 10.11 and 12, thank loving christ.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Updated to the latest macOS and nothing exploded yet.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

Pivo posted:

Yes, third party applications do use launchd. Yes, a third party application may have installed a user agent or created a scheduled task that is failing poorly. Check Console.app for log spam, or use the trial version of LaunchControl to see if you can't find any obvious culprits.

Thanks, that clears it right up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, Security Update 2018 for El Capitan and Sierra do address Meltdown.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208465

Spectre wasn't mentioned?!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, Security Update 2018 for El Capitan and Sierra do address Meltdown.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208465

Spectre wasn't mentioned?!

Spectre fix is still kind of a mess for all platforms from what I'm seeing.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/22/intel_spectre_fix_linux/ (that cites just linux, but this affects all using Intels microcode patch)

Also, one Spectre CVE can be addressed by the kernel, the other Spectre CVE has to be addressed on an app by app basis.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 23, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No idea if this is the right place for this, if not please shovel hot coals into my anus.

I have a list of book titles in Excel for Mac followed by their year, like My Tank is Fight (2006). I want it to sort alphabetically while ignoring "the" at the beginning of titles, so The Scarlet Letter would be sorted under "s." Is there no simple way to achieve this?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

No idea if this is the right place for this, if not please shovel hot coals into my anus.

I have a list of book titles in Excel for Mac followed by their year, like My Tank is Fight (2006). I want it to sort alphabetically while ignoring "the" at the beginning of titles, so The Scarlet Letter would be sorted under "s." Is there no simple way to achieve this?

Make a new column with this formula:

code:
=IF(LEFT(A2,2)="A ",RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-2),IF(LEFT(A2,3)= "An ",RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-3),IF(LEFT(A2,4)="The ",RIGHT(A2, LEN(A2)-4),A2)))
Change any reference from "A" to whatever column letter you want

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hmm, that puts the second item of column A into the new column. The sheet is 1,182 rows long, if it matters.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

For future reference, the Excel thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163&perpage=40

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hmm, that puts the second item of column A into the new column. The sheet is 1,182 rows long, if it matters.

Idk sorry I stole it from a stackoverflow ripoff site lol and tried it in empty sheet and it worked.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks I was looking for this, didn't expect it to be in the poopsock cavern.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Does APFS support Fusion drives yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Nope.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is definitely going to be a stupid question but since I've used a mac with a trackpad for over a decade, gently caress it I'm flying blind here. I'm switching to a mouse . I was used to pinching the trackpad to open the apps menu or whatever that screen was, and the rest of the swipe gestures to switch screens (two fingers up, then left or right, etc). How do I map these to mouse buttons or keyboard combos?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

So what happens when you try to upgrade one to High Sierra? Does it not let you or just convert to regular HD only?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is definitely going to be a stupid question but since I've used a mac with a trackpad for over a decade, gently caress it I'm flying blind here. I'm switching to a mouse . I was used to pinching the trackpad to open the apps menu or whatever that screen was, and the rest of the swipe gestures to switch screens (two fingers up, then left or right, etc). How do I map these to mouse buttons or keyboard combos?

Kinda a stupid question because it is under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and ALSO under System Preferences > Mission Control > Keyboard & Mouse Shortcuts.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bob Morales posted:

So what happens when you try to upgrade one to High Sierra? Does it not let you or just convert to regular HD only?
It doesn't change anything. It leaves the current setup alone.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Pivo posted:

Not a stupid question at all. It is under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and or under System Preferences > Mission Control > Keyboard & Mouse Shortcuts.

ftfy

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

That's the issue. Upgrading Mac OS fucks up a lot of stuff. Hey this program doesn't even work anymore! Windows shares aren't working now! The printer broke! Some random other thing quit working! We only have 3 Macs, 2 on El Cap and 1 on Sierra (it's newer than the other two), and we're not spending all day troubleshooting their bullshit. When the last marketing director left we got all new staff and I should have forced the fuckers to all use Windows. Two of the people we have now can barely use a Mac in the first place. It's bad enough working out Outlook issues (use webmail, it works in that!)

It was a total nightmare at the last place I worked with developers. poo poo half of those guys are still running Mavericks.

I thought you were being a dick until I got to the bolded part. We got snowed on that deal a couple of times. I NEED A MACBOOK. Yeah sure. And then 200 calls because they are completely lost and can't install Visio.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GobiasIndustries posted:

You should be able to pinch your mouse! :3:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

You should be able to pinch your mouse! :3:

Yeah but I don't want to hurt it :ohdear:

Pivo posted:

Kinda a stupid question because it is under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts and ALSO under System Preferences > Mission Control > Keyboard & Mouse Shortcuts.

And thank you for the response! I'd love a wireless trackpad but a bluetooth mouse is like a quarter of the price so :shrug: I'll get used to it.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My first time playing with Samba. I've set up Samba on my Pi, and am trying to access it through OS X. I don't know if this issue is OS X related or Samba related.

1. In Finder - Shared, I see my raspberrypi and a folder called films that I've setup. However, clicking on the films folder shows nothing. If I double click it it says "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Films” can’t be found."
2. If I use Connect to Server, put in smb://192.168.1.123 it tells me that I'm attempting to connect to the server, I tell it to connect as Guest, press connect, it shows me Films as a volume to mount, I select it and it says "There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.123"

In smb.conf I have

code:
[Films]
comment = Films
path = /media/usb1/films
Browseable = yes
Writeable = Yes
Guest ok = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
read only = no
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just to go and post this in the Pi thread.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Granite Octopus posted:

Duck duck go is quite good these days and even has first party support in Safari. Try it for a few days maybe? They also aren’t in the business of selling your personal info.

Alternatively, I have a bunch of Chrome “profiles” set up for a bunch of different services (Facebook, YouTube etc) so they all get their own little ghetto. Then I just do my normal browsing in Safari with all the DNT stuff enabled.

i use duckduckgo as my default but there are times where if you're looking for something remotely niche it'll throw a wobbly and not show you stuff that's pretty much at the top of any google results page. the image search also sucks poo poo compared to google's. for these reasons i still keep a google bookmark floating around

the chrome profiles thing is a good shout tho. might try using firefox container tabs also

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sad Panda posted:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just to go and post this in the Pi thread.

Probably best to ask the Pi thread, but I’d suggest connecting as the “pi” user instead of guest.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Generic Monk posted:

i use duckduckgo as my default but there are times where if you're looking for something remotely niche it'll throw a wobbly and not show you stuff that's pretty much at the top of any google results page. the image search also sucks poo poo compared to google's. for these reasons i still keep a google bookmark floating around

If you prepend !goog or !img to your DDG search, it’ll send you to google and GIS respectively. I find it more convenient than separate tabs and there are commands like these for many different sites.

https://duckduckgo.com/bang

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
You know what would be amazing.

If I could have chrome sync its tabs to iCloud just like Safari under OSX so that I could open them on my phone and vice versa.

I just cant move myself away from Chrome on OSX as I am tied to it on Windows as well, as horrible as it sounds I would almost take a safari for Windows at this point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

insidius posted:

I would almost take a safari for Windows at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1viD56zkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

I should have pointed out I would take it if done less poorly than last time.

As it is I have gone back to chrome for now and will just live without the ability to open
tabs on my portable devices. Tis a sad day.