Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wooooo Temple

Hoot hoot

All this Wichita hype and it causes just enough dick tripping to drop the American to a one-bid league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

man what a delight it is to finally encounter a genuinely lovely wisconsin team

t:mad:t

:suicide:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The American's looking ready to dominate the NIT

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think every Virginia fan's hopes for a 1 seed are tempered by an overwhelming fear of losing that opening game. If not, they haven't followed Virginia sports for long enough.

I just don't want to be in Michigan State's bracket again. Really getting sick of that

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Ungratek posted:

I just don't want to be in Michigan State's bracket again. Really getting sick of that

Not losing a key player right before the tournament to a freak injury or medical condition would also be nice.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Valley's Curse continues!! First Creighton now Wichita!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sad Drake is not still inexplicably leading the corpse of the MVC

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao

Duke lost to St. Johns

lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn about to be top 10 lol

Is anybody buying this? I expect them to be a popular pick to get bounced in the S16 by basically any team that has played meaningful basketball in less than a decade.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State might be on the inside of the bubble with today's win over Notre Dame. But they only have one comfortable game the rest of the year: BC in Raleigh. Need to find at least two more wins the rest of the way, with a lot of coinflip games to go.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is anybody buying this? I expect them to be a popular pick to get bounced in the S16 by basically any team that has played meaningful basketball in less than a decade.

Auburn hits threes and the offensive boards, plus they have a very good coach. I wouldn't want them in Virginia's bracket.

elentar fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 4, 2018

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So did anything come from the NCAA violations massacre over the summer aside from Pitino getting canned? I thought Pearl and Auburn were in deep poo poo?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They shoot very well and pick up rebounds; but yes, they can beat anybody and could easily lose to anybody. Pearl has Auburn beating anybody right now.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lmao

Duke lost to St. Johns

lmao

Duke's a young team that plays down to the level of their competition so I fully expect them to beat UNC on Thursday and then lose to Georgia Tech right after

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
That's Dubs third win over a top 25 this year and we've gotten zero love. We've got some sass this year and will be a really fun 9th/10th seed if the bottom doesn't fall out the rest of the way.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/960179507217940481?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

Lmao

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vols up to 15 in the newest poll. :hellyeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Vols up to 15 in the newest poll. :hellyeah:

As someone who doesn't watch much college basketball outside march these two posts back to back confused the hell out of me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

As someone who doesn't watch much college basketball outside march these two posts back to back confused the hell out of me.

You and me both buddy

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

not listed: the sixth ranked team in the nation

edit: or the seventh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I haven't looked real close at ESPN's BPI but I would think in simple terms what they mean is, what's the likelihood of a team winning most of their remaining games and also taking their conference tournament? If either Tennessee or Auburn take the SECT and only drop a game or two otherwise, they're in very solid shape. Likewise if Duke recovers to blitz the rest of their schedule bar a game or two and takes the ACCT, then they're probably going to get that nod even with the St. John's loss. Probably the Big XII is just too balanced, with no one at a high enough peak, to put up 1-seed numbers in conference.

DC Murderverse posted:

I also think it might be underestimating Cincy, but they still have to go to SMU, Houston, and Wichita State, plus beat Wichita in Cincy. And they'll likely need to run all but one of those plus the American Tournament to have any shot.

If Texas Tech survives the next three weeks with anywhere near a 1-seed profile, I will be supremely impressed. Other than maybe the next one at home to Iowa State, there's just no gimme games in conference.

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 5, 2018

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: /\/\/\ yeah what he said

DC Murderverse posted:

That was yesterday before the rankings came out (are you talking about Cincy or TT? both? couldn't tell if your comment was an either/or) and I think the numbers are based on projected W-L through end of season. Not sure what he based THOSE predictions off of, but it also explains why Tennessee is a higher percentage than Auburn for example, who has a tougher schedule than we do down the stretch.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
edit: ignore my bad post

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Joey Freshwater posted:

e: /\/\/\ yeah what he said

That was yesterday before the rankings came out (are you talking about Cincy or TT? both? couldn't tell if your comment was an either/or) and I think the numbers are based on projected W-L through end of season. Not sure what he based THOSE predictions off of, but it also explains why Tennessee is a higher percentage than Auburn for example, who has a tougher schedule than we do down the stretch.

it was about both of them, but i wasn't being entirely sincere. I think Cincy's schedule is winnable (though I think they'll drop that last game to WSU) but they're ranked that high more because of momentum than anything.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Interesting...

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/960560476970274817

The thread has some details on the rules and setup and whatnot, too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

I haven't looked real close at ESPN's BPI but I would think in simple terms what they mean is, what's the likelihood of a team winning most of their remaining games and also taking their conference tournament? If either Tennessee or Auburn take the SECT and only drop a game or two otherwise, they're in very solid shape. Likewise if Duke recovers to blitz the rest of their schedule bar a game or two and takes the ACCT, then they're probably going to get that nod even with the St. John's loss. Probably the Big XII is just too balanced, with no one at a high enough peak, to put up 1-seed numbers in conference.

I also think it might be underestimating Cincy, but they still have to go to SMU, Houston, and Wichita State, plus beat Wichita in Cincy. And they'll likely need to run all but one of those plus the American Tournament to have any shot.

If Texas Tech survives the next three weeks with anywhere near a 1-seed profile, I will be supremely impressed. Other than maybe the next one at home to Iowa State, there's just no gimme games in conference.

I believe Cincy is still, along with Virginia, the only teams not to have lost to an unranked team this season.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech needs to finish 6-2 or better to win the Big XII regular season, then win the Big XII tourney to wind up in a #1 slot. Maaaaay be able to get a 1 seed only doing one of those things (winning the reg season or winning the tourney), but they'd need to look drat impressive doing it (ex: 7-1 to win the conference, lose in the tourney championship). Reason being that Tech will not get the same benefit of doubt that someone like Kansas or Duke would.

The way the schedule lines up, it's possible.

ISU handed TTU a perplexing loss in Ames, but we get them at home this week. OU at home, Kansas at home, TCU at home. Road games to KSU, Baylor, OSU, and WVU.

I think WVU beats us in Morgantown, but if TTU protects home court and plays like they did against TCU against all the other teams on the road, it's possible for sure.

Ranking the games remaining by difficulty:

1. @ WVU
    2. vs KU
    3. vs OU
    4. @ KSU
    5. @ OSU
    6. vs TCU
    7. @ Baylor
    8. vs ISU

(note: no Big XII game is a gimme)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In a top 25 matchup, higher ranked #15 Tennessee will take on #24 Kentucky tonight at 6pm CST

I never thought I'd be able to say that :v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

In a top 25 matchup, higher ranked #15 Tennessee will take on #24 Kentucky tonight at 6pm CST

I never thought I'd be able to say that :v:

Did this never happen in the Bruce Pearl years, maybe one of the years UK was down?

Also watch out, they'll be angry after losing to Missouri :v:

e: Huh it apparently never did happen after looking. Kentucky was bad during the early Pearl years and the only week they were ranked was a week where UT wasn't. Then they were both good in Pearl's second to last year, but Kentucky was better, and in the last year by the time they met Pearl's team had kind of tanked.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 6, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Grittybeard posted:

Did this never happen in the Bruce Pearl years, maybe one of the years UK was down?

I thought the Pearl years were before Calipari came to UK and so they sucked then?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pubic works project posted:

I thought the Pearl years were before Calipari came to UK and so they sucked then?

Yeah Cal got there two years before Pearl got ousted, then Cal immediately turned things around. I'd forgotten how not good they were for a while there pre-Calipari.

Like I knew they weren't as good as Kentucky fans would demand, but I'd forgotten they were unranked not good if that makes sense.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Grittybeard posted:

e: Huh it apparently never did happen after looking. Kentucky was bad during the early Pearl years and the only week they were ranked was a week where UT wasn't. Then they were both good in Pearl's second to last year, but Kentucky was better, and in the last year by the time they met Pearl's team had kind of tanked.

An unranked Kentucky beat #3 Tennessee in 2008. That's the last time UT has come into Rupp as the higher ranked team. Their last win there was 2006, and they've only won 4 total.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Xavier's JP Macura just looks like a Duke player. Probably another reason why I hate him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern's done and probably doesn't even have a chance to make the NIT, but Bryant McIntosh just completely eviscerated Michigan and I'm glad he's not going out like a chump.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Xavier's JP Macura just looks like a Duke player. Probably another reason why I hate him.

It seems like he's been at Xavier for an eternity too

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

He's a huge rear end in a top hat in the best way possible.

I'm a Xavier fan.

He's Grayson Allen with blonde hair, and without the habit of tripping people.

I'd also say he doesn't cry nearly as much, but my perspective is obviously skewed.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The only Musketeers it is ok to not hate are Bluiett and David West.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

PotatoJudge posted:

The only Musketeers it is ok to not hate are Bluiett and David West.

I still don't like Bluiett because he should have stayed in-state after he eliminated Butler from consideration (cuz of Stevens leaving).

But I love David West.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Nevada has a tough stretch of games coming up that will determine the regular season MWC champ.

UNLV
SDSU
@Boise State
@Utah State

Gonna be a fun finish to the regular season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The best Xavier guy was that enormous beefy boy a few years back. Stainbrook.

• Locked thread