Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

He comes off as undeservedly smug and I hope this will make them negative money.

Guests are complaining about the state of the park!

Edit: I haven't checked in on parkitect in a while. Is it still a ways off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It's nearing the end of beta actually, biggest thing still missing is scenario campaigns, and they mentioned they've outsourced and have some (widely believed to be Silverett) designing/building scenario maps for them.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

39 chumps.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
$250 minimum wtf

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Harminoff posted:

$250 minimum wtf

and that doesn't even get you the loving game you are paying them to build.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

the whole deal looks like some boomer gently caress heard the word "crowdfunding" once and rushed off to collect his jackpot

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Harminoff posted:

$250 minimum wtf

- At least $750: Investor perk as outlined above, and a discount of 25% off the street price of the game at launch valid for a purchase of 1 unit of RollerCoaster Tycoon Nintendo Switch;

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

cubicle gangster posted:

- At least $750: Investor perk as outlined above, and a discount of 25% off the street price of the game at launch valid for a purchase of 1 unit of RollerCoaster Tycoon Nintendo Switch;

Hahahaha you don't even get the game if you give them money. Has anybody in Atari even heard about why people crowdfund games?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cubicle gangster posted:

What the gently caress? Why not just make it $800 investment and get the game for free, that would be effectively the same thing income-wise but vastly more appealing

Also I bet top dollar those 39 investors are Atari execs chipping in to "get the ball rolling"

(and they probably claimed it back on expenses)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What the gently caress? Why not just make it $800 investment and get the game for free, that would be effectively the same thing income-wise but vastly more appealing

Also I bet top dollar those 39 investors are Atari execs chipping in to "get the ball rolling"

(and they probably claimed it back on expenses)

It's probably like 20 old people going "well i'll be damned, this looks like a sound investment"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's not so much crowdfunding as microinvesting. But anyone dumb enough to invest in Atari deserves what they (don't) get.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Do you get any microreturns on your microinvestment?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Guys, you're all idiots.

As someone who backed Project CARS for around $30 early on its development mistaking it for a crowd funding campaign and subsequently ignored various PayPal payment emails, I funded my entire summer Steam Sale purchase with that money, okay? I got, like, a hundred bucks over the course of two or three years, okay? This is a solid investment, okay? I didn't even get Project CARS after investing but I got a coupon equivalent to the value I invested, okay?

I'm dumping my life savings of bitcoin into this!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Wooper posted:

Do you get any microreturns on your microinvestment?

Well, if it actually turns a profit, yes, It says you get a commensurate share of 50% of net profits (I assume they mean net net, which means gently caress you), up to 150% of your original investment. And there's some other terms, too.

But this is a fool's investment.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The best part is that you'r not investing into an atari product, but an atari game partners product for which atari can revoke atari game partner's license to distribute it at any time, voiding the profit sharing thing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The moment the crowdsharing parts end, Atari would go "Oh the game partner's license is cancelled".

https://gonintendo.com/stories/300705-atari-bringing-rollercoaster-tycoon-to-switch-no-matter-what-the

It's coming out even when the crowdfunding attempt fails

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Started a new Planet Coaster scenario/map.

I think I did something weird though as when I hit the play button 3000 people all flooded in before I really had anything done other than scenery. It was a lot of scenery though. But now my park is VERY CROWDED and there's like 3 rides.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hi. We're Atari. We made good games about fifty years ago. Please give us money.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

COMRADES posted:

Started a new Planet Coaster scenario/map.

I think I did something weird though as when I hit the play button 3000 people all flooded in before I really had anything done other than scenery. It was a lot of scenery though. But now my park is VERY CROWDED and there's like 3 rides.

they rly like scenery

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Hi. We're "Atari". "We" made good games about fifty years ago. Please give us money.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

THE BAR posted:

Hi. We're Atari. We made good games about fifty years ago. Please give us money.

It's like looking at an old ford add

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

THE BAR posted:

Hi. We're Infogrames, we live inside the corpse of Atari, please don't remember that we're actually just some French publisher that have already failed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Parkitect Beta 3 is out. Changelog here if anyone besides me actually cares about the game. :v:

Decided to give it a go and instead of trying most of the new stuff I instead cracked open the sandbox and built a pretty old-fashioned Wooden Rollercoaster, based loosely on the Cyclone from the long gone Palisades Park (not to be confused with a couple other, more famous, "Cyclone" coasters).

Palisades Park's Cyclone, demolished when the park closed for good in 1971

Had to do a lot of the supports by hand since the default woodie supports don't like track running under other track for long lengths. Its pretty compact which is nice and has respectable stats. I really wish I could've made that first drop a nicer, smooth 45 degree S-bend instead of the 90s but sadly Parkitect still doesn't allow 45 degree sloping curves. I thought that was gonna be part of Beta 3 (since more track options on slopes were included), but I guess not yet.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I do care but I'm not very much not into early access.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Parkitect Beta 3 is out. Changelog here if anyone besides me actually cares about the game. :v:

Decided to give it a go and instead of trying most of the new stuff I instead cracked open the sandbox and built a pretty old-fashioned Wooden Rollercoaster, based loosely on the Cyclone from the long gone Palisades Park (not to be confused with a couple other, more famous, "Cyclone" coasters).

Isn't that the Bumbly Beach starter coaster?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Orv posted:

Isn't that the Bumbly Beach starter coaster?

Similar but not quite. That one has that small 90° branch off, remember?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah Bumbly's Big Dipper is an "Out and Back" style woodie, and also modeled after a coaster with a similar name at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Mine is the type with a smaller footprint that wraps around itself, I dunno the proper nickname for that kind, I just call them Cyclones.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah yeah. Finally I am free of the terrible burden of roller coaster knowledge. :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not as long as the menu music can still actively be recalled at will.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shiiiiiiit.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

*chunka chunka chunka chunka*
*rumble rumble rumble*
"Wheeeeeeee"
*festive music, children laughing*

Never forget.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

being able to dictate which main menu background reel you liked is a big plus in OpenRCT's favor

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

While tinking with an "old fashioned" park and looking at old photos I was struck by inspiration I made a terrible thing:

Since Parkitect doesn't have guide rails for the boat hire (unlike RCT) it barely works. Its downright awful, really. However, it did inspire me to make a similar, no mods ride for this month's Build off Challenge.

Its less terrible, but still not great. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 8, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello all. I made a realistic styled dark ride / coaster.

It's called Quantum Vortex, has 4 inversions and 3200 feet of track in a compact space. Also uses the train swap feature.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1304306954

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Welp Jurassic World Evolution has now become a must buy for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6sCpfVQCbc

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, uh, does this mean Frontier is killing Planet Coaster?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IAmTheRad posted:

So, uh, does this mean Frontier is killing Planet Coaster?

I don't think so, their focus is obviously not on PC at the moment, but I'm sure they got more content on the way for it.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

whens the planet coaster jurassic park theming dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

New DLC coming next week. Looks like a Hollywood themed "Studios Pack"!

Also some new free feature updates including hotels / management. Although the most exciting is the "triggered color on objects" and "triggered time of day" on rides.

In pure Frontier style, they have released 0 screens of any of this poo poo.

https://www.planetcoaster.com/en-gb/news/studios-pack-dlc-coming-27-march?utm_source=email&utm_medium=crm&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=pcstudiosdlc posted:

On March 27, 2018 we are releasing the action-packed Studios Pack for you to get creative with. The newest paid content pack is specifically catered for those who want to bring that glitzy Hollywood glamour to their park. With new props, stunts, animatronics and special effects to boot, you'll be able to breath new life into those park center pieces. The content pack contains three new rides; the Big Screen Tour bringing guests face-to-face with your cinematic spectacles. Re-Motion ride has an adjustable robotic arm holding the seats which allow the seats to be moved freely in all directions! And finally Horror Heights; scream in terror in this classic multi-drop tower!

Set the stage and thrill your guests with new static and animated building attachments, props, vehicles, character animatronics, placeable special effects and more! Don't forget about what goes on behind the stage: new wall set, construction props and metropolis wall tiles together with Planet Coaster’s existing themes will allow you to build those far-from-glamourous... but essential backlots.

In addition to the paid content, we are releasing a small free update to all players which includes: hotels; get your guests to stick around for longer; eagerly awaited path tunnelling, allowing you to place a path-shaped holes in terrain; as well as triggerable flexi-colour on objects; and triggerable time of day in the ride camera - night becomes day in a flash!

The Planet Coaster Studios Pack is completely optional for you to purchase – you can get it from Steam or the Frontier Store for £7.99 ($10.99, €10.99). Please note that you need to have the Planet Coaster base game in order to download and play this extra content.

Absorb the glitz of the silver screen, behind the scenes to centre stage with the Studios Pack, coming 27 March!