Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Platystemon posted:

War Emergency Power engaged

A bit late, but this look like the flame trails from the aircraft on the original Ultraman series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Didn’t see this posted here yet.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Looks like an IL-2 Sturmovik, paint it green and drob bombs on Proudboy marches.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blind Rasputin posted:

Didn’t see this posted here yet.

:golfclap:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kinda jealous of how excited you all are about Falcon 9.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are we still able to make Saturn 5's?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm sure we could but it'd be way more expensive than just developing a new superhuge giant fuckoff rocket.

That said I'd love to see what government/industry could come up with on a billion-dollar-a-shot budget.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's called SLS. If it's not up to 1b per launch it probably hasn't launched yet.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I really doubt it. The tooling probably doesn't exist anymore and it was subcontracted out all to hell and a bunch of those subcontractors probably don't exist anymore.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Yeah, you can't exactly call to Grumman to build another lunar lander.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You picked one of the few that still exists.

Edit: Tooling is long gone, but the plans are still archived.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Plans doesn't mean poo poo though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aerospace is not typically a "Mass" manufacturing environment, there's still a lot of hand fitting and product specific knowledge required to put one together. A lot of which doesn't get documented. The prints for the LM are just a starting point.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

MRC48B posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aerospace is not typically a "Mass" manufacturing environment, there's still a lot of hand fitting and product specific knowledge required to put one together. A lot of which doesn't get documented. The prints for the LM are just a starting point.

Yeah, I know NASA is super anal about plans, but there has got to be a ton of tacit knowledge that didn't get copied down. That knowledge is now buried deep in cobwebs of the brains of 75+ year olds or 6 feet under.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Someday, Inshallah

spacecraft will be a commodity product, punched out by minimum wage robots and synths manufacturing processes,

but until that day, it takes a lot of skill, the nuances of which do not get recorded.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

When I was at NASA they said they will be using the SLS by 2019 with plans by 20-21 to be moving mass harder than a Saturn V farther away. I highly doubt it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

When I was at NASA they said they will be using the SLS by 2019 with plans by 20-21 to be moving mass harder than a Saturn V farther away. I highly doubt it.

Well, the boss can't exactly get upon stage, take a pull of vodka, and say, "Astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore. We gonna get defunded into nothing but a clearinghouse for buying MIC rockets and funneling contracts for commercial satellites to donors, because Republicans are terrified we might study climate change, and doing great things would involve raising taxes."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Yeah, I know NASA is super anal about plans, but there has got to be a ton of tacit knowledge that didn't get copied down. That knowledge is now buried deep in cobwebs of the brains of 75+ year olds or 6 feet under.

They had to go to a museum to take an Apollo umbilical apart so they could see exactly how it attached to the service module.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MRC48B posted:

There's also a bunch of entirely mundane off-the-shelf components, or custom parts that use those parts, that aren't available any more. Think of all the little switches and latches and valves, most of the companies that made those specific items either aren't around or don't make those parts any more. Not to mention more specialized industrial items like computers and electrical components. And everything is interconnected, so it's not like you can just swap the main guidance computer for an iPhone. Eventually you would be changing so many components that you're really designing a new rocket that's vaguely Saturn V-shaped.

Much like how the modern 737 exists. :v:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Much like how the modern 737 exists. :v:

And like the 737, the originals would be cooler anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

They had to go to a museum to take an Apollo umbilical apart so they could see exactly how it attached to the service module.

Yeah...the Air Force has been pulling parts from museums. Probably the Navy and Marines, too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Yeah...the Air Force has been pulling parts from museums. Probably the Navy and Marines, too.

There was a story a couple of years ago about how the Marines had to pull a landing gear strut or something off a Hornet on the USS Midway museum.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Kinda jealous of how excited you all are about Falcon 9.

Growing up, my two favorite things were space exploration and military history. Watching the Falcon Heavy made me nostalgic in a way I didn't think was possible.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

There's a MiR core module at a museum in the Wisconsin Dells (it was originally supposed to use a new core every five years before they decided to just sell the spares) . Apparently on several occasions they bought back odds and ends to send up as things failed.

Makes a ton of sense really, why build new if you don't have to

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
In all honesty, the only real reason to build more Saturn Vs would be "because it's loving awesome." The Saturn V was the pinnacle of rocket technology in 1967. I would really hope we could come up with something better 50 years later.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MRC48B posted:

This. I work on the B-52, and while we still have all (most) of the original plans in dusty yellowing binders, we can barely get replacement parts for things made 20 years ago let alone 60. It goes beyond a company not making part X anymore or trashing the tooling, the whole technology might have been discontinued 40 years ago (vacuum tubes, purely mechanical switching and control equipment). Its also likely the company that made it has been gone for 30 years or been bought out a dozen times.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xenoborg posted:

This. I work on the B-52, and while we still have all (most) of the original plans in dusty yellowing binders, we can barely get replacement parts for things made 20 years ago let alone 60. It goes beyond a company not making part X anymore or trashing the tooling, the whole technology might have been discontinued 40 years ago (vacuum tubes, purely mechanical switching and control equipment). Its also likely the company that made it has been gone for 30 years or been bought out a dozen times.

This but with forgings. A bunch of safety and fatigue critical parts designed 50+ years ago have horrible yield rates with forgings these days so they now buy similar material in bar stock and machine it from a solid block. Of course this takes a lot of testing and buy in from stakeholders so they come at hilarious prices.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I saw this and am now fully behind a pointless military parade

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did forging get less good or did machining just push it out of most production techinques?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Hatter posted:

I work at a National Lab and this poo poo happens in science more than you'd think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

In all honesty, the only real reason to build more Saturn Vs would be "because it's loving awesome." The Saturn V was the pinnacle of rocket technology in 1967. I would really hope we could come up with something better 50 years later.

With that kind of budget, sure. And Falcon Heavy will deliver much more bang for the buck; but the Saturn V is still twice as powerful.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

give me this in high res pls

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waroduce posted:

this is what google came up with, an improvement imho

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

^^^ Is that real or a photoshop?

Waroduce posted:

https://twitter.com/padouche/status/888669416682074112

HIghest I can find.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Not real, paint like that might mess up the radar.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Plinkey posted:

Not real, paint like that might mess up the radar.

Aw :(

Not like anyone would allow such fun to happen nowadays anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If it involves the Air Force and the concept of levity, you can be sure it's 100% fake.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

One of the things that blew me away at NASA was that all of the control rooms and computers they used to make the Saturn V and moon landing happen combined are probably still not as powerful as the phone I had in my pocket, yet they pulled it off. I’m reading the Three Body Problem right now (which is fantastic) and there’s a part where they use an army of 30 million soldiers with flags to recreate a motherboard for calculus computations. The human mind is just loving cool.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
A-10s are cool.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c4c_1518036584

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

those loving bullet holes

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Designed to take down massed formation of WARPAC tanks, used to shoot up lovely SUVs in the middle of nowhere.