Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

May I ask any good places to re-learn a lot of the technical aspects of photography, including modern digital and what is can do? Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop and forgot so much about aperture, focal lengths, etc (and modern ISO possibilities are insane to me). Thanks from the old guy. :corsair:

I had Understanding Exposure recommended to me and it was hugely helpful, plus it translates some concepts from old school film to modern digitals: https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Fourth-Photographs-Camera/dp/1607748509

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

I believe there's a single remaining camera store in the entire city of SF. One question about the X100F: how does the "hybrid" viewfinder work? Does it just overlay info or can it actually display what's coming from the sensor? I can't find a good description of it anywhere.

BTW I got my X100F at Fireside Camera on Chestnut.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I plunked down for a Fujifilm X100F.

Lulu confused by Classic Chrome

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
overexpose to get rokit metered properly, otherwise the camera will underexpose and he will just be a blob

slightly more technical explanation:
Modern cameras calculate exposure by measuring and averaging the entire scene, and expects all scenes to average out to a middle grey (18% grey), and that usually works out just fine. When you have something that is not, then the camera gets confused, and adjusts. An example is when you are shooting snow, the actual scene is almost entirely white, but the camera is expecting a middle grey, and so it will adjust so the scene averages middle grey and your snow looks grey.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Lulu confused by Classic Chrome

Lulu! by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM posted:

overexpose to get rokit metered properly, otherwise the camera will underexpose and he will just be a blob

Rokit, a handsome lad by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Yeah I've only been able to get good shots of him with lots of direct light. Thanks for that info, how digital handles situations like that are completely knew to me! :D

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Does Fuji let you turn off AE and use the touchscreen to pick your metering point? I assume that's a standard feature on everything but I never really thought about it.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Does Fuji let you turn off AE and use the touchscreen to pick your metering point? I assume that's a standard feature on everything but I never really thought about it.

On the XT-1, there is no touch screen. Instead there is a dial for point, center weighted, and total exposure, and buttons that permit AE and focus locking independent of the shutter. I believe the newer models have a little joystick.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

The x100f doesn't have a touch screen but a little joystick that you can do this so yes and I assume so on their other cameras. I focused on Rokit's eyes on that second photos doing just that.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Well, the GX9 got announced annnnndddd....

What a hot loving disappointment.

Panasonic has been knocking them out of the park recently with the GH5, GH5s, and G9, so I had high hopes for their update to the top end of the rangefinder line, instead we get:

1. Same viewfinder from the gx85 (it's biggest weakness) but articulating (woo)
2. Still no mic jack, this is their most aggressively non-video camera
3. Still no weather sealing, even on this top end rangefinder

So what do you get over a gx-85?
16->20 mp (both with no low pass filter)
Improved in camera processing, better dynamic range
L Monochrome D
Grain effect
Bluetooth

Of those, I care about the improved dynamic range, Bluetooth, and L Monochrome D but not nearly enough to shell out 1k.

Panasonic has basically stated with this camera that rangefinder cameras are midmarket cameras and they see no need to put the latest and greatest into that format.

Disappointing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm not well enough versed in lens physics to know if this question is monumentally stupid or just mildly stupid: Is there any possibility on an attachable macro lens for the x100f being made?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Macro filter is something you screw into your lens filter thread, they wary in quality. Simple cheap ones are just one lens, I think good recommended one is Raynox DCR-250. Haven't personally used those so someone probably knows better.

Fake edit: X100 doesn't have filter thread :pwn: need adapter for that...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Macro filter is something you screw into your lens filter thread, they wary in quality. Simple cheap ones are just one lens, I think good recommended one is Raynox DCR-250. Haven't personally used those so someone probably knows better.

It does have a thread?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It does have a thread?

It has a thread that you can attach an adapter to to get a normal thread. You couldn't screw a close up filter on the male thread present because it would be backwards.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

8th-snype posted:

It has a thread that you can attach an adapter to to get a normal thread. You couldn't screw a close up filter on the male thread present because it would be backwards.

Ahhh ok, thanks for the clarification.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you buy one of the cheap X100F lens hoods off amazon or ebay they usually come with the filter adapter. You take a piece off the camera how it is out of the box and put the other one on. Bonus is you get a lens hood as well.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

8th-snype posted:

The 18mm is the worse performing prime Fuji makes, I've owned two copies and the corners were terrible. For roughly the same amount you can get an 18-55 which is a way better 18mm lens than the prime.
Dangit really? I was considering this lens because it's pancake-y but also with an aperture ring and I want something I can carry around in my purse.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Most point and shoots with retractable lens have the same design. I still has the adopter piece for my G9.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

GEMorris posted:

Well, the GX9 got announced annnnndddd....

What a hot loving disappointment.

Panasonic has been knocking them out of the park recently with the GH5, GH5s, and G9, so I had high hopes for their update to the top end of the rangefinder line, instead we get:

1. Same viewfinder from the gx85 (it's biggest weakness) but articulating (woo)
3. Still no weather sealing, even on this top end rangefinder

So what do you get over a gx-85?
16->20 mp (both with no low pass filter)
Improved in camera processing, better dynamic range
L Monochrome D
Grain effect
Bluetooth

Of those, I care about the improved dynamic range, Bluetooth, and L Monochrome D but not nearly enough to shell out 1k.

Panasonic has basically stated with this camera that rangefinder cameras are midmarket cameras and they see no need to put the latest and greatest into that format.

Disappointing.

That's disappointing, I was hoping it would have weather sealing. Guess I'll wait for the E-M5 MK3

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

curried lamb of God posted:

That's disappointing, I was hoping it would have weather sealing. Guess I'll wait for the E-M5 MK3

I mean, the G85 is a really great camera in that price range, as long as you're happy with DSLR styling. I still think that's the best all around camera value.

I just want a real top of the line m43 camera in the rangefinder style.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The GX85, which is still a great affordable camera, is available on Black Friday level clearance again from Adorama (check Slickdeals), if you sell the lenses on eBay and count the Adorama $100 gift card, you'll get the body for around $250, which is a steal. This is the deal I wish I had jumped on at Christmas but ended up getting mine without the extra lens and gift card because I waited too long.

Just fwiw if anyone was on the fence about buying babby's first mirorrless interchangable lens camera.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 14, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GEMorris posted:

God dammit. I'm not a vlogger, I'm one of the last humans on this planets that aren't vlogging, but I still would like to have a proper mic to record video with, in a rangefinder style body. I suppose Panasonic don't want to cannibalize their own sales, but what's wrong with selling camera A instead of camera B when the alternative is Fujifilm?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ola posted:

God dammit. I'm not a vlogger, I'm one of the last humans on this planets that aren't vlogging, but I still would like to have a proper mic to record video with, in a rangefinder style body. I suppose Panasonic don't want to cannibalize their own sales, but what's wrong with selling camera A instead of camera B when the alternative is Fujifilm?

Well the Fuji XA2/3 don't have mike input either, and they are the only Fuji bodies with selfie screen you can do vlogging on. GoPro 5/6 uses to an ugly audio adopter box for external audio but at least you have mike option. I just don't think the Japanese are very competitive when it comes to internet stuff.

You can also record audio on your phone separately and sync in Premiere every time which is a pain.

I wish I don't own so many cameras already that gx85 is a great deal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Well the Fuji XA2/3 don't have mike input either, and they are the only Fuji bodies with selfie screen you can do vlogging on. GoPro 5/6 uses to an ugly audio adopter box for external audio but at least you have mike option. I just don't think the Japanese are very competitive when it comes to internet stuff.

You can also record audio on your phone separately and sync in Premiere every time which is a pain.

I wish I don't own so many cameras already that gx85 is a great deal.

The X-E3 has a mic input, but no selfie screen. As I said I don't vlog, but I still think anything but a fold out + tilting screen is a bit of a waste. I'd also like IBIS and excellent pocketability. So at least I can save a bunch of money this time around!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ola posted:

The X-E3 has a mic input, but no selfie screen. As I said I don't vlog, but I still think anything but a fold out + tilting screen is a bit of a waste. I'd also like IBIS and excellent pocketability. So at least I can save a bunch of money this time around!

I have the XE1 with the ST1 mike. Its too heavy to use one handed. Look just get the gopro, the IS is amazing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Look just get the gopro, the IS is amazing.

It falls a bit short on the specs interchangeable lens and 4/3 or larger sensor. I guess what I want is a rangefinder E-M5.

e: preferably priced and sized like the GX85 and with Fujifilm look and feel to the stills TIA

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah if you want to vlog with m43, you need to get the g85, it checks all the boxes.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
What's the recommended babbys first mirrorless? A5100?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lulu! by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Rokit, a handsome lad by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Yeah I've only been able to get good shots of him with lots of direct light. Thanks for that info, how digital handles situations like that are completely knew to me! :D

The main thing to realise about digital vs negative film is that your latitude for exposure is reversed. With negative film, you can pull detail out of massively blown highlights but deep shadows are dead to you (because the negative is empty at that point). With digital it's the other way around. You can very often rescue detail from hugely underexposed parts of the scene but if any highlights are clipping, then you probably can't save them.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

E2M2 posted:

What's the recommended babbys first mirrorless? A5100?

Panasonic Gx 85 or an Olypus E-M10 (Mark I or II). The A5100 is a decent camera but you get a ton more quality of life features with the MFT cameras and the lenses are a bit cheaper.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This sounds neat, I’m sure it’ll come down to consumer cameras by the time I’m dead:

https://www.43rumors.com/wow-panasonic-develops-industrys-first-8k-high-resolution-global-shutter-sensor/

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone has any experience with the Zeiss Tuit lenses for Fuji X cameras?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Animal posted:

Anyone has any experience with the Zeiss Tuit lenses for Fuji X cameras?

I had both the 35 and the 12 a long time ago.

I also had a Samsung/Rokinon 12 and remember being more impressed by it than the Zeiss. I also ended up getting and loving a Fuji 23 f/1.4 around the same time as Zeiss 35, so I just didn’t use it much.

Put it to you another way: you’re the first person in a couple years I’ve read who has asked about the Zeiss Touits, which tells me what I think is definitely true: there are better options by Fuji/Rokinon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah when I researched the Fuji platform a few years ago I think the consensus around the web was that in focal lengths that were roughly equivalent to Fuji offerings, there weren't any strong reasons to go with the Zeiss stuff.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Popelmon posted:

Panasonic Gx 85 or an Olypus E-M10 (Mark I or II). The A5100 is a decent camera but you get a ton more quality of life features with the MFT cameras and the lenses are a bit cheaper.

Theres like a $100 price difference between the two(GX85 is $100 mroe), but Amazon has a package with another lens too?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N01SEUP/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2VQJTH4Y3ZH3I&colid=127FIN7D90K2V&psc=1

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 15, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

E2M2 posted:

Theres like a $100 price difference between the two(GX85 is $100 mroe), but Amazon has a package with another lens too?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N01SEUP/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2VQJTH4Y3ZH3I&colid=127FIN7D90K2V&psc=1

Scroll back a slight bit, check Slickdeals, Adorama has the gx85 with an extra lens AND a $100 gift card for less than $600

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 15, 2018

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

GEMorris posted:

Scroll back a slight bit, check Slickdeals, Adorama has the g85 with an extra lens AND a $100 gift card for less than $600

Oh sick, thanks!

edit: welp bought

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 15, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I did a bunch of hemming and hawing over the Zeiss 32mm pretty recently and ended up going with the fuji 35mm f/1.4 but mostly for purely subjective reasons apart from price. Also I was a bit more comfortable with the Fuji considering I've already owned one and know that it's good enough for my intended use.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So the X-H1 is out (and with the leaked specs, to the surprise of absolutely no-one except the terminally pedantic), and it's £1,699.00/$1899. IMO this camera is basically a crop competitor to the A7whatever/A9 or in DSLR land a 7D2 killer competitor :v:, so 1900 bucks initial price isn't out of line and compared to other systems' flagship cameras it's chump change.

Granted, it's more than an X-T2, but they fixed every point of criticism (yes, both of them) that I still had about Fuji after using the X-Pro2 and X-T1 for a while, so after having gotten an X-T1 instead of X-T2 to complement the X-Pro2 while waiting, the X-H1 is on my immediate purchase list. Besides finally having IBIS like every mirrorless camera should in 2018 (yay IS for every lens ranging from Fuji primes to weird-rear end manual glass), I'm particularly looking forward to :ducksiren: the motherfucking Canon/Nikon-style AF-ON button :ducksiren: which was the one thing still holding back previous Fuji cameras from being usable as serious wildlife/sport cameras.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 15, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

I'm particularly looking forward to :ducksiren: the motherfucking Canon/Nikon-style AF-ON button :ducksiren: which was the one thing still holding back previous Fuji cameras from being usable as serious wildlife/sport cameras.

Does Fuji have many lenses that could be used for sports? I know they have some really nice primes in the 50-90mm range but I've never seen like a 70-200 f/2.8 on their mount. Maybe I've missed it.

E: oh they've got a 50-140 f/2.8. I didn't know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Does Fuji have many lenses that could be used for sports? I know they have some really nice primes in the 50-90mm range but I've never seen like a 70-200 f/2.8 on their mount. Maybe I've missed it.

E: oh they've got a 50-140 f/2.8. I didn't know that
Also a 200 f/2 is coming, but will probably be hideously expensive.