Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hearts are a special event thing that you get from running Call to Love.

Rubies are the game's premium currency that you will occasionally find while playing and which give fairly minor rewards on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Now that you can reset excavations for free just save rubies for time skipping when you're unlocking spell tiers.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What does resetting excavation do anyway? Will it destroy the treasures I've found?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
No, those stick around forever, but sometimes you need to excavate for faction coins to get some builds started. If you've gone too deep to reasonably afford more excavations when you need them then you need to reset. Early on, try to save excavations until you need them, unless you're about to reincarnate in which case go nuts.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, resetting just resets the price of excavating for free? In that case, couldn’t I just reset infinitely to get all the artifacts and infinite faction coins?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ariong posted:

So, resetting just resets the price of excavating for free? In that case, couldn’t I just reset infinitely to get all the artifacts and infinite faction coins?

The number of excavations required to get a free reset increases the more you reset.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
On top of that, the free excavations decimate your production during a run until you abdicate, so you'd want to reset then immediately abdicate thereby losing all of the faction coins. Artifacts also aren't just a random chance, there are prerequisites before they'll even show up (that's the "eligible artifacts" thing)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The number of excavations required to get a free reset increases the more you reset.

Oh, so what should I be looking for when I'm deciding whether it's time to reset?

garfield hentai posted:

On top of that, the free excavations decimate your production during a run until you abdicate

Wait, what? IN what way?

quote:

Artifacts also aren't just a random chance, there are prerequisites before they'll even show up (that's the "eligible artifacts" thing)

What are the prerequisites? How do I get more eligible artifacts?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Ariong posted:

Oh, so what should I be looking for when I'm deciding whether it's time to reset?

When you get a bit deeper into the game, you'll start to use builds that need a good chunk of faction coins to get off the ground (early neutral faction stuff mostly from what I can remember). Ideally you do just enough excavations to get what you need and you'll be okay without having to reset at all unless you go nuts chasing after an artifact.

quote:

Wait, what? IN what way?

It cuts your production down by 90% until you abdicate. Once you get into it a bit though you'll be abdicating all the drat time.

quote:

What are the prerequisites? How do I get more eligible artifacts?

Play as x faction, play within certain hours, have at least x hours as this faction, cast x spell enough and your chance of getting it is x minutes / 100000%, etc. Early progression ones are set at given numbers of excavations but the later ones are a lot more obtuse. Just use a guide honestly.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Numberwang posted:

NGU new patch is bugged. I even tried restarting browser w/ Empty Cache & Hard Reload.

It's saying Auto Merge is bought, and will allow me to buy Loot Filter ,multiple times, even though it's already unlocked.

Auto merge still doesn't work, and spending exp on loot filter does nothing.

fixed it about 30 mins iafter. you should be on .351 now

What, did you think I'd make a patch bug freethe first time? :v:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, okay. It turns out that you need to do 2000 excavations to reset them. I have 44. O_O So I guess that won't be a thing for a while.

Also, that's yet another thing I didn't know. Getting this game to provide information about its systems is like pulling teeth!

EDIT: Are some factions just worse than others? I've currently hit a wall with the last one I hadn't tried, Angels. Seems like your big moneymaker is to get enough mana regen to have God's Hand and Call to Love on at all times, but I'm not making anywhere near as much as I did with Undead and it's assistant boost power.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 15, 2018

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Did some of the Ascension maluses get lowered in the last year or so? I just got back into this and am plowing through the walls I was hitting from when I last played.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ariong posted:

EDIT: Are some factions just worse than others?

Every faction has a time where it shines, the game changes wildly at certain points that can change a faction from complete garbage to the #1 in a single reincarnation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cinara posted:

Every faction has a time where it shines, the game changes wildly at certain points that can change a faction from complete garbage to the #1 in a single reincarnation.

Yeah, but you can play for a whole year before Undead become good.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah it's less that any are worse or better, it's that over time the systems and options available to you shift it around so the best answer tends to change a lot. Like I was doing a ton of dwarf/fairy stuff but now it's all faceless all the time.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

In R0-R46 it's pretty much all Elf, all the time. Elf lineage, elf alignment, dwelves, elf mercenaries... and I think the only challenges worth doing before mercenaries are elf 1 (and fairy 1).

Meanwhile, A2 is a giant boring slog (I'm at R107) and I'm glad I can work on the G00f Not-a-wiki website makeover to keep me interested in the game at all.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In R0 I thought it was around:

Angels: My first one and pretty cool but very active

Elf: Great for Faction Coins, extremely active

Fairies: Just ok

Goblins: Same

Undead: Absolute slog, might as well not play the game

Demons: Pretty OP, as far as starting Factions go

Titans: Incredible profits

Druids: Almost worse than the Undead, takes absolutely forever to get all the Factions coins but once you do they're pretty sweet

Faceless: If those are the last you pick, absolute broken, you'll be swimming in Gems

Drows & Dwarves: Both of these unlocked pretty late into R0 so I can't tell who's better but they both insanely lucrative, I'm genuinely wondering how the ones that'll come after will manage to outdo these

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The game in R0 is vastly differnet from the game in R16 which is again different from, say R42 to r73 to R110, it's one of the really nice things about RG

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merijn posted:

In R0-R46 it's pretty much all Elf, all the time. Elf lineage, elf alignment, dwelves, elf mercenaries... and I think the only challenges worth doing before mercenaries are elf 1 (and fairy 1).

Meanwhile, A2 is a giant boring slog (I'm at R107) and I'm glad I can work on the G00f Not-a-wiki website makeover to keep me interested in the game at all.

That being said, A2 is definitely endgame right now and there's not a ton going on, so yes it's a brutal slog (R109 for almost a month at this point), though I've been trying out various things and not just prod-grinding

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Now wait a goddamn second

I did the first Undead Challenge but the bonus only applies if I'm playing as Undead!?

This is utter, absolute and complete bullshit

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuringa posted:

I did the first Undead Challenge but the bonus only applies if I'm playing as Undead!?

IIRC, tier 1 challenge rewards are for that faction, tier 2 are for a different faction, and tier 3 are for all factions? It's been a while since I touched RG.

Orry
Apr 5, 2011
You need to have completed challenge 1 to do challenge 2, so it's not a complete waste.

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018

Kyrosiris posted:

IIRC, tier 1 challenge rewards are for that faction, tier 2 are for a different faction, and tier 3 are for all factions? It's been a while since I touched RG.

For the "Vanilla" factions, that's correct:

Challenge 1 rewards = That faction
Challenge 2 rewards = a different faction
Challenge 3 rewards = All factions and unlocks a bonus to the challenge faction's spell Once you get to mercenary, and eventually lineages, this means it applies to more than just it's base faction

Once you get into the neutral factions, it's

Challenge 1 & 2 rewards = Different factions
Challenge 3 rewards = That faction
Challege 4 = All factions plus a bonus to the challenge faction's spell.

The prestige factions have either 5 or 6 for Dragons And since I'm in A2 I don't currently have access to those challenges to figure out how they apply to different base factions, but I believe it is one for each base faction, plus one that applies to all base factions (still requires the specific prestige faction), one that applies to all factions with a bonus unlock for that specific prestige faction's spell.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A2 is so boring I want my mercs back drat it these numbers suck several asses and I want all the colours back too

oh well, getting all the event bonuses was a piece of piss and I guess once it's over I'll look into those new artifact thingers

Samuringa posted:

Later there's a faction that gets every challenge bonus at once and it is amazing. Game just doesn't want to blow your mind entirely just yet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samuringa posted:

Both of these unlocked pretty late into R0 so I can't tell who's better but they both insanely lucrative, I'm genuinely wondering how the ones that'll come after will manage to outdo these
My friend, imagine if you could pick your upgrades from among those of every faction.

(and yes that gets obsoleted later on too)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
NGU: Thanks for the auto merge.

One thing, i think it needs to be clearer what the 'auto' things do and don't do while offline.

For example, auto advance doesn't seem to work at all while offline but you would probably expect it to.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You don't get any drops while offline afaik.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

You don't get any drops while offline afaik.

You dont get any adventure mode offline period.

Basically, you should only go offline if you've spent the half hour opening up all the attacks/defences and have all your energy/magic gathered and dumped in your highest aug.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NGU: Awful Sheet v3.1.1 is out

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XtLtY3LdxuEvsUKeS5opN3gYpLo_PfqxqJA3l_mF14/edit#gid=282434329

As always let me know of any issues.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The logic of the new "Bar XP for 10k in goal" calculation seems off. Shouldn't there only be a value here if adding the 10k cap would push you over your ideal time? Right now, it looks like it is being used all the time, vastly changing the recommended ratio between Cap/Power from the previous version of the sheet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
NGU: A giant green seed has eaten my Money Pit cooldown for the 20th time. Whatever this is, the implementation feels real lovely after the first couple times.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Toshimo posted:

NGU: A giant green seed has eaten my Money Pit cooldown for the 20th time. Whatever this is, the implementation feels real lovely after the first couple times.

Yeah, it relates to the feature you get after you beat the second Titan, but the fact that you can get seeds as low as like a billion gold is kind of a buzzkill.

If, like pixaal has suggested in discord, there was an invisible counter and you got those seeds eventually it wouldn't be as bad, but drat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klungar posted:

The logic of the new "Bar XP for 10k in goal" calculation seems off. Shouldn't there only be a value here if adding the 10k cap would push you over your ideal time? Right now, it looks like it is being used all the time, vastly changing the recommended ratio between Cap/Power from the previous version of the sheet.

Yes that is the entire point, you effectively need to purchase additional bars to maintain your current time. It assumes you are currently balanced. If you only need say half an Energy Per Bar level to increase it, it only takes into account half the XP cost.

It's not taking your current time into account because it is irreverent. (It'd make the calculation way more complicated to effectively do the same thing) the sheet is already picking up some noticeable lag so performance is a concern.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, it relates to the feature you get after you beat the second Titan, but the fact that you can get seeds as low as like a billion gold is kind of a buzzkill.

If, like pixaal has suggested in discord, there was an invisible counter and you got those seeds eventually it wouldn't be as bad, but drat.

It does a great job of making you wonder just what are seeds and want to find out. Ideally this counter shouldn't be invisible. Ideally the feature's button would show up as ???? once you got the first seed. On the screen you'd only see "You don't know why but you are saving a bunch of seeds. They seem important. You have 18 Seeds."

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a save bug in NGU? It's started eating exp when I spend it, but not saving the features; I've lost a full 100k of energy upgrades without noticing it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

NGU: Is there any reason for me to keep ahold of my forest gear now i've got a full set of cave gear?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kin posted:

NGU: Is there any reason for me to keep ahold of my forest gear now i've got a full set of cave gear?

Pendant, yes. The rest, only if you want to max it to 100 for the set bonus.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Pendant, yes. The rest, only if you want to max it to 100 for the set bonus.

BTW, the set bonus is worth ~1000xp

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a save bug in NGU? It's started eating exp when I spend it, but not saving the features; I've lost a full 100k of energy upgrades without noticing it.

Online save is every 20 minutes, before closing you should hit the save buttons. both online and manual backup, because a backup is always a good idea. Also you get 200AP for making a manual save at least once a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

RG: With some patience, fast clicking (undead), and careful use of Lara Crypt, I've gotten 8 of the 10 new artifacts, burning a lucky super-tiny number on the druid artifact.

Hourglass I can largely grind out at my convenience, but allow me to say gently caress the conditions for the elf artifact.