Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Then you'll need to define what you mean by "outside".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

al-azad posted:

What if there are multiple universes?

Then there would be one universe in sections separated by some mechanism other than distance.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is a wicked long shot, but I remember playing a flash point and click adventure game I want to say post-Viridian Room era that had 3D graphics. You couldn't move around freely but you could click to transition between areas. I can only remember a very few things about it

- The main character was referred to as a "Walky"
- There were three creepy-rear end women with sunglasses that guided you doing... whatever you were doing
- One of them was the subject of a bullshit puzzle where you have to click above a hole you normally jump down because she's using some sort of cloaking device, and unless you just KNOW to click that spot and make her appear, you can just never progress.
- There's some kind of drink or drug you can take that just makes your character flip poo poo and run around the map while weird music plays, and one of the sunglasses women makes fun of you for being a lightweight
- The ending involved taking a train somewhere else, then getting in a hot tub with the three sunglasses women, but since the graphics were old they just sat there grimacing at you and it was creepy as poo poo.

I don't remember it being a GOOD game, but I really want to know if it was real, or if I had some kind of fever dream because what the gently caress :psyduck:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nothing. Because if there was anything outside the universe, it would be inside the universe.

That's... not how it works.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Help me goons. Playing Elite: Dangerous lately has made me remember a space combat game I played with a joystick back in the 90s. I want to say early to mid 90s, Windows or Dos based, CD ROM. Details are fuzzy, but I know it's not a Wing Commander game. I think there were two human factions fighting each other, and halfway through the game you are forced to make a choice to remain on the side you've been on or join your old friends who have rebelled. I don't actually know if it's a choice you could make or if the game just makes it seem like it could be a choice. I think the game had early cg style cutscenes that told the story.

I looked through the list of space games on Wikipedia and didn't see anything familiar.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Was it independence war

https://www.gog.com/game/independence_war_deluxe

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I don't think so. Unfortunately I can't get enough of a story summary to be sure. But I think there was a plot line where some of your friends switched sides and you could either join them or be forced to fight them. Though again I don't remember if you actually had a choice or not. I don't think I remember flying capital ships though, I'm pretty sure it was fighter based.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DrNutt posted:

Help me goons. Playing Elite: Dangerous lately has made me remember a space combat game I played with a joystick back in the 90s. I want to say early to mid 90s, Windows or Dos based, CD ROM. Details are fuzzy, but I know it's not a Wing Commander game. I think there were two human factions fighting each other, and halfway through the game you are forced to make a choice to remain on the side you've been on or join your old friends who have rebelled. I don't actually know if it's a choice you could make or if the game just makes it seem like it could be a choice. I think the game had early cg style cutscenes that told the story.

I looked through the list of space games on Wikipedia and didn't see anything familiar.

I know you said it wasn't Wing Commander, but you're straight up describing the plot to Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, which came out in '94.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keru posted:

I know you said it wasn't Wing Commander, but you're straight up describing the plot to Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, which came out in '94.

Yeah, I'm sure there were a ton of similarities. This game seemed like sort of a knockoff. It didn't have FMV though and I would have remembered Luke Skywalker and Gimli. I am pretty sure it had ugly proto cg graphic cutscenes instead of FMV with real actors. I also think it was some sort of pack in for our computer or something because I don't remember having a box for it.

God I'm terrible at this.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I don't think so. Unfortunately I can't get enough of a story summary to be sure. But I think there was a plot line where some of your friends switched sides and you could either join them or be forced to fight them. Though again I don't remember if you actually had a choice or not. I don't think I remember flying capital ships though, I'm pretty sure it was fighter based.
Sounds like TIE fighter to me, the Star Destroyer you're on defects from the empire and you're forced to fight your own squadmates.

But that's probably too easy...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Martian posted:

Sounds like TIE fighter to me, the Star Destroyer you're on defects from the empire and you're forced to fight your own squadmates.

But that's probably too easy...

Yeah no I did have Tie Fighter but I had the floppy version. This game was distinctly different.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Star Crusader?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Crusader

e: there's even a Let's Play (i haven't watched it)

Martian fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 14, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I actually think it was a game called Forced Alliance. I remember it had a really terribad explosive decompression death animation when you died where your face started expanding. I found the intro on YouTube but not much else.

Nope, not that. But if the explosive decompression scene helps anyone remember, you saw your ship cockpit glass start cracking and your head would expand like a balloon. I think it cut away before your head exploded. I remember thinking it was a cool game over screen at the time.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 14, 2018

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DrNutt posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about and I even looked up its cutscenes a few years ago, but of course the name escapes me. I'll try to remember. And yes, the head pop death was cool.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Or I could read this post which identifies the game. :downs:

e: head pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgzn199IsU&t=155s

Shine fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 15, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shine posted:

Or I could read this post which identifies the game. :downs:

e: head pop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgzn199IsU&t=155s

Holy poo poo that IS it! Yes! Thank you!

e:Thanks Martian. I was delirious with sleep deprivation because of my rear end in a top hat cats when I looked at your post the first time and didn't think that was it. You were absolutely correct.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 15, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First person horror game (I know, I narrowed it down to a thousand titles) that came out a few years ago. It had a fixed perspective sort of like Myst where you move around on rails and can look around the environment. Kind of a colorful game with a simplistic art style, closer to a Telltale game than Amnesia. You were a girl exploring a house and a weirdo in an Alice, Sweet Alice mask is stalking you. I only remember one scare where the rail-movement has you come up to a mirror and perfectly frames the villain behind you which really scared John Wolfe, a youtuber who is normally "this is dumb who cares" about screamcam horror games.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I believe there was this one game where you built pre-WW1 and up to WW1 era warships for various countries to their specifications. Can someone enlighten me as to the name?

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 16, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm trying to remember an old third person action RPG style game (something in the style like Kingdoms of Amalur). It was janky, probably pretty bad, and very bland in a fantasy setting and I can't remember anything about the story. I just remember as a teenager playing it and thinking it was like the fantasy version of Tomb Raider, although that's probably giving the game more credit than it is due. Honestly the only two things I can really remember are:

1) It involved Dragon's pretty heavily. I think you either turned into one occasionally, or maybe just rode on.
2) It had very long and linear maps. It felt like a large game, or at least I remember it being so, but it was very on rails.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

nessin posted:

I'm trying to remember an old third person action RPG style game (something in the style like Kingdoms of Amalur). It was janky, probably pretty bad, and very bland in a fantasy setting and I can't remember anything about the story. I just remember as a teenager playing it and thinking it was like the fantasy version of Tomb Raider, although that's probably giving the game more credit than it is due. Honestly the only two things I can really remember are:

1) It involved Dragon's pretty heavily. I think you either turned into one occasionally, or maybe just rode on.
2) It had very long and linear maps. It felt like a large game, or at least I remember it being so, but it was very on rails.
Drakan: Order of the Flame perhaps? Although I don’t know how linear it was.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MMAgCh posted:

Drakan: Order of the Flame perhaps? Although I don’t know how linear it was.

Most levels were these sprawling caverns or fields, with a single exit somewhere. So pretty linear.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's also Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm for generic fantasy games that no one remember.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HereticMIND posted:

I believe there was this one game where you built pre-WW1 and up to WW1 era warships for various countries to their specifications. Can someone enlighten me as to the name?

If it was an exceptionally grognardy game with minimal graphics, you're probably thinking of Rule the Waves: http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-rule-the-waves/

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

al-azad posted:

First person horror game (I know, I narrowed it down to a thousand titles) that came out a few years ago. It had a fixed perspective sort of like Myst where you move around on rails and can look around the environment. Kind of a colorful game with a simplistic art style, closer to a Telltale game than Amnesia. You were a girl exploring a house and a weirdo in an Alice, Sweet Alice mask is stalking you. I only remember one scare where the rail-movement has you come up to a mirror and perfectly frames the villain behind you which really scared John Wolfe, a youtuber who is normally "this is dumb who cares" about screamcam horror games.

Dead Secret?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Perestroika posted:

If it was an exceptionally grognardy game with minimal graphics, you're probably thinking of Rule the Waves: http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-rule-the-waves/

Yes! Thank you! That’s the one!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I figured I'd go ahead and post some examples of games that seemed to have disappeared off the face of the Earth that I had encounters with as a kid, just in case anyone else was thinking about them:

Galleons, a top down ship to ship (old timey ships) combat game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4X-BAqlFo

Cyberdogs, a top down action game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcsTmcyq_w

Laser Light, a laser based puzzle game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOQfCpD1Ms

Terminal Velocity, polygonal sci-fi action flight game for DOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5x7Bhxl5U

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep. Now I can finish that LP.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

nessin posted:

Long shot, but maybe I of the Dragon?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Another long shot—Dragon Valor on PS1.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Trying to remember a game I think was for PS2. The combat was like turn based 1vs1 giant walking steampunk tanks firing shells at each other.

It was ring of red, thanks!

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 17, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

lwoodio posted:

Trying to remember a game I think was for PS2. The combat was like turn based 1vs1 giant walking steampunk tanks firing shells at each other.

Ring of Red, interesting idea but bad execution.

e: one funny thing in the Ring of Red lore is that the walking tanks were super useless anywhere except Japan because of its unique terrain or something like that

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 17, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'm trying to remember a game that was a free doujin PC shmup in which you gained powerups by picking up the pieces of your destroyed enemies. All of the characters were made up of pretty simple objects like squares, rectangles, and triangles and so your ship would eventually look like a giant mass of shapes with no rhyme or reason.

I believe the creator of this game also came out with some other free PC shmups and that this game inspired a sequel for WiiWare. I've been scouring but can't come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that was a free doujin PC shmup in which you gained powerups by picking up the pieces of your destroyed enemies. All of the characters were made up of pretty simple objects like squares, rectangles, and triangles and so your ship would eventually look like a giant mass of shapes with no rhyme or reason.

I believe the creator of this game also came out with some other free PC shmups and that this game inspired a sequel for WiiWare. I've been scouring but can't come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated!
TUMIKI Fighters?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Here's an interesting one: can anyone tell me what game the chick in my avatar is from? Some unknown goon bought it years ago and I still have no idea who she is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Google's best guess: lady

Thanks, Google.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

That's correct, and that helped me find the Wii followup, which was a disc release not a digital one:

Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

...! posted:

Here's an interesting one: can anyone tell me what game the chick in my avatar is from? Some unknown goon bought it years ago and I still have no idea who she is.

How do you know it's from a game?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

For the opposite type of system, look up Warning Forever, a free PC shmup. You fight boss after boss, with more and more poo poo being tacked onto the bosses. One nest feature is that you can shoot the boss' weapons and limbs off. Target the joint connecting a leg to the core and you'll destroy that whole leg. It was a fun time waster when I was like 17.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Wasn't there a very similar looking game that let you design the bosses? And another game similar to that one, but with more traditional graphics (and more part variety)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

al-azad posted:

How do you know it's from a game?

I don't. But since the custom text says something about trophies, it's a fair assumption. I wish I knew which goon bought it so I could ask them.

• Locked thread