Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

Back to the topic of Demon's Souls, I was watching LobosJr emulator run, and I didn't realize that when False King Allant does his ground-pound/shockwave move, you can hit him and interrupt it. I thought you just had to get out range and wait until he does it.
It becomes a much less tedious fight when you realise this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Still looking for an invader to let me kill them so I don't have to go into NG+ to get the DBS. SL55 NA, ComradePhelix on PSN

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm working on creating a server emulator for DeS - do any of you have the EU version of the game and are available for some testing tomorrow?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm on EU and I'm available depending on what "tomorrow" means.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Right now, before the servers go down. Are you in #fromgoons on irc?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's a shortcut to the 2-2 boss so I'll just use a stone right now in case something stupid happens on the way *immediately miss the first jump down and die*

*Then miss the drop again*

Annddd a third time

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

feelix posted:

Still looking for an invader to let me kill them so I don't have to go into NG+ to get the DBS. SL55 NA, ComradePhelix on PSN
I'm in NG+, but I'm at SL69, in NA. Dunno if that puts me in range to connect, but let me know where you're trying to invade at, and I'll head there.

ymgve posted:

Right now, before the servers go down. Are you in #fromgoons on irc?

Link to the FromSoft Goons Discord: https://discord.gg/rcP4rnW

EDIT: I'll say that I'm duping items for improving weapons with no effort, but if it works like in Dark Souls, I can try dropping consumables/stacked items to pick up.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 27, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Glad world tedency has been largely white, the executioner hood makes invading feel delightfully evil.
Last night I invaded a few more jerks, got invaded like, three goddamn times, and summoned a bud to fight the False King.
Pretty good way to end my final online run. :unsmith:

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Broke a bunch of peoples poo poo with the scraping spear one last time, you'll be missed old friend.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Heartbroke they're shuttering it for good. It's just not the same without that multiplayer component. Hell, fighting people as the Old Monk was so much fun.

Hopefully this means a remaster might be on the horizon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Servers are pretty active ATM, invaded, got invaded, got summoned, got several OM sessions. So if you wanna boot it up one last time you'll probably find something to do.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Looks like the servers went down a few hours early. :saddowns:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:rip: :(

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

HONKER24 posted:

The US went down right at the time the message said at logging in- 3AM EST. Don't know about other regions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

HONKER24 posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
My test server emulator is up, though population is mostly zero. If you want to help testing, change your PS3 DNS settings to 212.71.239.147 before booting up the game.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ymgve posted:

My test server emulator is up, though population is mostly zero. If you want to help testing, change your PS3 DNS settings to 212.71.239.147 before booting up the game.

How do you actually do that?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

xanthan posted:

How do you actually do that?

You can set the DNS if you pick "manual" in the PS3 network setup.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ymgve posted:

You can set the DNS if you pick "manual" in the PS3 network setup.

Cool, thanks. Here's hoping it works out. Will try it when I get home.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is that still EU only? I'd be glad to test out any NA custom server that goes up, assuming I'm around whenever it happens.

Hope it works out!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

esperterra posted:

Is that still EU only? I'd be glad to test out any NA custom server that goes up, assuming I'm around whenever it happens.

Hope it works out!

It's for all regions (Well, I'm missing a little bit of information to get it working for JP yet, so would love for someone with that version try to connect) but seems like multiplayer won't work between regions. Everything else is shared, though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This was a few hours after the servers went down, but I finally got this rare but useless item on my magick character.

:toot:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah the tutorial demon looks like bad clay, but the rest is really really solid. It was made only one year before Dark Souls after all.

I wonder why Sony can't license DeS to Steam and take the majority cut. That's just idle curiosity though. I'm sure there's some dumb reason why I can't give them my money.

For the exact same reason that Nintendo won't license Mario and Zelda games to Steam. They explicitly do not want IP they own on PC.

I feel like we're talking in circles here because I'm pretty sure we just explained this.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

...! posted:

For the exact same reason that Nintendo won't license Mario and Zelda games to Steam. They explicitly do not want IP they own on PC.

I feel like we're talking in circles here because I'm pretty sure we just explained this.

You obviously really enjoy educating everyone about this point so I don't know why you're complaining that people keep asking the question.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also Demon's Souls isn't loving Mario or Zelda and Sony isn't trying to sell PS3s anymore. If they ever remaster it for PS4 they'd be idiots not to have a third party steam port done as well, because they aren't getting Mario or Zelda sales numbers from DS remastered. And there's also a pretty big difference between owning the rights to an IP versus creating it and developing it in house.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

DrNutt posted:

Also Demon's Souls isn't loving Mario or Zelda and Sony isn't trying to sell PS3s anymore. If they ever remaster it for PS4 they'd be idiots not to have a third party steam port done as well, because they aren't getting Mario or Zelda sales numbers from DS remastered. And there's also a pretty big difference between owning the rights to an IP versus creating it and developing it in house.

Counterpoint: They'd be idiots to set the precedent of porting a Sony game to a non-Sony platform. Sony and Nintendo consoles have the value that they do in no small part because of the first- and second-party games that are exclusive to those consoles. The main reason that Microsoft has started putting Xbone games on PC is because the Windows platform needs active support more than the Xbox does right now.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

gtrmp posted:

The main reason that Microsoft has started putting Xbone games on PC is because the Windows platform needs active support more than the Xbox does right now.
Uhhhh I’d really question your conclusion on this, like wow. The Xbox platform needs all the help it can get, but nobody is buying them so nobody is buying the games so they HAVE to put them on PC.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I would say things like cross play that they're doing with windows ten is actually more of an effort to boost Xbox.

Xbox is doing pretty badly that they just kind of lump it together with windows ten pcs now so it doesn't look as bad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

gtrmp posted:

Counterpoint: They'd be idiots to set the precedent of porting a Sony game to a non-Sony platform. Sony and Nintendo consoles have the value that they do in no small part because of the first- and second-party games that are exclusive to those consoles. The main reason that Microsoft has started putting Xbone games on PC is because the Windows platform needs active support more than the Xbox does right now.

They'd be idiots to get more sales? No one is buying a PS4 for remastered Demon's Souls like 5 years into the console's life cycle.

Again, it's not really setting precedent because it's not a Sony developed game, it's From's game. Sony wasn't involved in Development, they just have the rights to the ip.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes Sony owns the IP which means they get to say when something that uses it gets made and for what platforms. It's not about how many people would buy a PS4 just for a Demon's Souls remake it's about how many people who were already thinking about it it would push over the edge.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Akuma posted:

Uhhhh I’d really question your conclusion on this, like wow. The Xbox platform needs all the help it can get, but nobody is buying them so nobody is buying the games so they HAVE to put them on PC.

The Xbox One isn't doing as well as the 360 did, especially when compared to the PS4, but it's still doing well enough to justify its continued existence. The Xbone's ~40% market share isn't a failure by any means, and that puts it about on par with where the PS3 was proportionally to the 360 for most of its lifespan (but with more actual units sold). But sales of PCs across the board have cratered year after year, as the casual market shifts to tablets and smartphones, and fewer PCs sold means fewer copies of Windows sold. The only significant exceptions to the trend are the gaming market and the dedicated professional market, and the latter generally has a much higher rate of Mac/Linux usage than the norm. In the long term, the Xbox has better chances for expanding or at least retaining its audience than the Windows PC does - neither is going to go away completely, but Windows needs MS's direct support much more than the Xbox does. Targeting the ever-reliable "core gamer" market by cross-pollinating the Xbox and Windows marketplaces makes sense, even if the actual implementation on the existing Windows Store isn't exactly stellar.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes Sony owns the IP which means they get to say when something that uses it gets made and for what platforms. It's not about how many people would buy a PS4 just for a Demon's Souls remake it's about how many people who were already thinking about it it would push over the edge.

Also, keep in mind that Sony would give Valve a cut of around 30% of every copy of DeS sold on Steam, whereas they don't have to give away that cut when they sell games on their own platforms. Considering how many PC gamers also own a PS4, it's not out of the question that a Sony game coming out on both PS4 and Steam could sell more copies than if it'd only come out on PS4 but not actually make Sony more money than it would have if it was PS4-exclusive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't understand why some people vehemently refuse to believe that demon's souls won't come to pc

they're more likely to sit on the ip and never use it again than they are to put it out on another platform. that happens a lot

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't understand why some people vehemently refuse to believe that demon's souls won't come to pc

they're more likely to sit on the ip and never use it again than they are to put it out on another platform. that happens a lot

I don't think that at all, what I do think is that it's dumb as heck for companies to sit on old ips and do nothing with them, when there would be plenty of people willing to throw 30-40 bucks at them for a quick and dirty pc port. Hell, Souls fans are clearly not even the type to care about port quality because Durante will just magic away any dumb port issues anyhow.

I can totally believe that being coded for the PS3 architecture makes it too costly and time consuming to be worth it though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they get way more money from you buying a game on their platform than they do elsewhere and they get even more if you buy their box

if it actually made more money to do it the way you want them to, console publishers would have done it by now. ms kind of did with halo but obviously that didn't get much for them so they stopped by 3

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Platform exclusives add perceived value to that platform. Putting a former platform exclusive on another platform undermines the value of exclusivity to the platform and, by association, the value of the platform itself. (Why buy a Sony console specifically for that one Sony-published game that you really want if they're porting their games over to a non-Sony platform that you already own?) Sony isn't making decisions based on the money they might make off of a single game, they're making decisions based on the value of the PlayStation brand as a whole.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

they get way more money from you buying a game on their platform than they do elsewhere and they get even more if you buy their box

if it actually made more money to do it the way you want them to, console publishers would have done it by now. ms kind of did with halo but obviously that didn't get much for them so they stopped by 3

Another possibility is that pc gamers didn't think halo was a good game but console players did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Manatee Cannon posted:

gtrmp posted:

Platform exclusives add perceived value to that platform. Putting a former platform exclusive on another platform undermines the value of exclusivity to the platform and, by association, the value of the platform itself. (Why buy a Sony console specifically for that one Sony-published game that you really want if they're porting their games over to a non-Sony platform that you already own?) Sony isn't making decisions based on the money they might make off of a single game, they're making decisions based on the value of the PlayStation brand as a whole.

"Perceived Value" isn't cash money and just lmao if you think something like Demon's Souls sold enough PS3s for it to make Sony more money than had they also released it on PC.

And that's not even getting into the fact that we are talking about some type of hypothetical "remastered" version 9 years later.

The souls game have a pretty hardcore niche audience but it's not like, Mario or Zelda, or even Master Chief (before 343 ran that poo poo into the ground).

By hanging on to the Demon's Souls IP and doing nothing with it they are gaining nothing, especially since it's a defunct franchise and From went on to make a ton of multiplat sequels in all but name.

• Locked thread