Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I did exactly that with Wandows and Fusion, so I can't imagine Linux being any different.

You might not imagine it, but it does require pretty tight integration with the guest operating system, and the guest operating system has to be OK with having hardware switched out from under it potentially on every boot, which historically X11 is not a big fan of to put it mildly. That's why you should definitely Google around and talk to the sales team before purchasing the thing, because it probably is not going to be just as easy as selecting the Boot Camp partition and pressing go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve noticed that since the last os update my 2011 MacBook Pro makes the boot chime whenever I turn it on, whether it’s muted or not. Previously it only made the sound if the volume was turned up. Is there a way to silence it again? I’m on high Sierra.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty easy, just type this into Terminal:

code:
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80
if you decide you want to bring it back:

code:
sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume
Funny, I thought High Sierra disabled startup sounds by default..

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This probably doesn't exist, but is there something that will make it require a certain key/combo/hot corner to dismiss the screen saver?

I can turn on "require password" but would prefer not to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Is there a way to either separate trackpad and mouse scrolling or flip the scrolling direction when a USB device is plugged in or unplugged? Since this is a company laptop, I can't install anything on it, but I might be able to run a script or something if that'll work.

Nothing?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

hooah posted:

Nothing?

There’s a program that will allow you to set scroll directions for the trackpad and a mouse wheel independently called Scroll Reverser, though I’m not sure if you can install it based on your post. Worth a shot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

smax posted:

There’s a program that will allow you to set scroll directions for the trackpad and a mouse wheel independently called Scroll Reverser, though I’m not sure if you can install it based on your post. Worth a shot.

Seems this might do the trick. I'd seen the name when Googling around, but I figured it was something that required installation, but it seems to run in-place. Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Potential good news for OS X gamers (both of you) and CAD folks:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/vulkan-is-coming-to-macos-ios-but-no-thanks-to-apple/

https://www.khronos.org/news/press/vulkan-applications-enabled-on-apple-platforms

Anything that lets devs use something other than Apple's moribund, unoptimized OpenGL 4.1 stack (and they're not going to Metal in droves either) is welcome..

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
While pulling data off an old hard drive I found a couple audiobooks that are split up by chapter into mp3 files. Is there any free software to merge these all into a single file that I could add to my Audiobooks section of iTunes, with chapter marks and whatnot?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

While pulling data off an old hard drive I found a couple audiobooks that are split up by chapter into mp3 files. Is there any free software to merge these all into a single file that I could add to my Audiobooks section of iTunes, with chapter marks and whatnot?

Chapter marks are out without a bunch of work afaik but you can just concatenate them with ffmpeg with two terminal commands. You can also do this with audacity, which takes way longer.

Join together is another program that does this for like five bucks. Not sure if it’s updated recently but it used to be great.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Does anyone know of a way to switch from macOS f-key behaviour to standard f-key behaviour on a per-app basis? I use the f-keys a lot in Windows so I'd like them to be standard in Remote Desktop, but prefer them to be volume/brightness/etc everywhere else.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Does anyone know of a way to switch from macOS f-key behaviour to standard f-key behaviour on a per-app basis? I use the f-keys a lot in Windows so I'd like them to be standard in Remote Desktop, but prefer them to be volume/brightness/etc everywhere else.

That is totally doable and I have it set for multiple applications. Now this is on a TouchBar system with High Sierra, but I'd guess the settings would work on non-touchbar as well. I'm going in to the office tomorrow and can poke around on my lab machine if it doesn't.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nope, does not appear on non-TB :/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Nope, does not appear on non-TB :/

Hmmm. Well, poo poo.

Fluor is an open source app that looks to do what you want. But you have to build it yourself. Last update was 3 months ago.

https://github.com/Pyroh/Fluor

However it is available through brew, so that can make it easier to install.

code:
brew cask install fluor
If all else fails, I guess you can try this (per Apple), but this looks to be applied globally.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204436

If you prefer the top row of keys to always behave as standard function keys without holding the Fn key:
* Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
* Click Keyboard.
* Click the Keyboard tab if it's not already highlighted.
* Select "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ohey, Fluor works. I found that before in an old blog post but it was sold for $0.99 on the App Store but it was no longer available. Neat that it's available free now. Thanks.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 28, 2018

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Is there a preferable solution between Tuxera and Paragon NTFS? Those seem to be the two paid options in the NTFS write market.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GobiasIndustries posted:

I had this problem a while back. I ended up using JoinTogether because it was real simple to have automator do all the manual labour for me and I could run 12 instances of the app at once to breeze through all the audiobooks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Try joining this Slack team and ask, they know their MP3 like the back of their hand. Or download the app and see if it has native support for what you want.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Any Automator users left? I'm trying to make a quick application to copy some files into a user's ~/Library/Preferences folder. It's a multi-user machine in a lab and they need to reset some preferences.

Is there a way to copy to the specific user's home folder who runs the app? I can't seem to just supply a '~/' path -- it wants a static path as input.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Variables > Locations > Home / User Library / User Preferences whichever

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Audiobook update: Apparently back in 2012 I purchased an app called Audiobook Builder for OSX which does exactly what I was looking for! At some point I apparently hid it for some reason so it didn't show up in my purchased list (the reason I found it was because I thought I used to have such a program at one point so I dug into my account purchase history to check). Anyway it joined all the mp3 files into one single audiobook file that is now on my phone and i was able to tag it and add cover art and all that good stuff.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I just bought a Mac Mini off ebay for a home theatre computer. The dude said he wiped it prior to sale but my preference would be to wipe it again as soon as I get it. Reading online it seems like I don't need a CD or anything to reinstall OSX or whatever its called, is that right or should I try and track something down before I plug this thing in?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

1500quidporsche posted:

I just bought a Mac Mini off ebay for a home theatre computer. The dude said he wiped it prior to sale but my preference would be to wipe it again as soon as I get it. Reading online it seems like I don't need a CD or anything to reinstall OSX or whatever its called, is that right or should I try and track something down before I plug this thing in?

Plug it in and hold Command+R while it starts up. If you get into Internet Recovery you don't need anything else to clean install.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Only 2010 and up yeah? Internet Recovery is an EFI thing on "newer" Macs (2010, 2011 etc), not sure if it was patched into the older ones.

And I thought it was Cmd-Opt-R... Cmd-R boots the recovery partition off disk, not off the net, which is fine but not if you don't trust the bits on the drive (which is super paranoid IMO).

Pivo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 3, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pivo posted:

Only 2010 and up yeah? Internet Recovery is an EFI thing on "newer" Macs (2010, 2011 etc), not sure if it was patched into the older ones.

And I thought it was Cmd-Opt-R... Cmd-R boots the recovery partition off disk, not off the net, which is fine but not if you don't trust the bits on the drive (which is super paranoid IMO).

It will automatically do the right thing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Uh. Well, no. If you boot recovery off your disk, that's different than Internet Recovery. It is an EFI feature that is present on Minis that shipped in mid 2010 and onwards, and it will install the version of OS X that came with the machine rather than the one on the recovery partition. These are important differences.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Quicksilver has been slowly making GBS threads the bed for me for the past few versions and my loyalty towards it waning.

What are the best comparable launcher programs on the market? Alfred? Launchbar?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Entropy238 posted:

Quicksilver has been slowly making GBS threads the bed for me for the past few versions and my loyalty towards it waning.

What are the best comparable launcher programs on the market? Alfred? Launchbar?

If you just want a launcher, then honestly, spotlight search does it well enough.

Nothing really does the item-verb-object piping that makes Quicksilver so special and not just another quick-search launcher.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pivo posted:

Uh. Well, no. If you boot recovery off your disk, that's different than Internet Recovery. It is an EFI feature that is present on Minis that shipped in mid 2010 and onwards, and it will install the version of OS X that came with the machine rather than the one on the recovery partition. These are important differences.

Unless 10.12.4 or later was installed on the machine, in which case Internet Recovery will download and install the newest compatible version of macOS.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

If you just want a launcher, then honestly, spotlight search does it well enough.

Nothing really does the item-verb-object piping that makes Quicksilver so special and not just another quick-search launcher.

I’ll give it a try - I’ve found that spotlight’s predictions aren’t really that great.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Entropy238 posted:

I’ll give it a try - I’ve found that spotlight’s predictions aren’t really that great.

I loved Quicksilver back in the day but I've been using Alfred for years and can't live without it now. If you just want a basic app launcher I honestly don't know that the free Alfred is much better than spotlight, fuzzy find and custom web searches may be the only benefits but I haven't kept up with new spotlight features. The powerpack though has so many useful features -- 1password integration, snippet manager, workflows, clipboard history, hotkeys. I just checked and on average I invoke Alfred over 30 times per day.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
New Mac user here. I found out Mac can't use NTFS external harddrives without installing a bunch of stuff, so I formated it to exFAT. Am I doing this right? I don't ever see me needing to use the drive on an older Mac, but I definitely will have to connect it to PC sometimes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

nervana posted:

I formated it to exFAT. Am I doing this right?

yup

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get Paragon NTFS and never worry about that stuff again

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get Paragon NTFS and never worry about that stuff again

Is this better than using exFAT?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

There is no advantage to using NTFS + a macOS NTFS driver for an external drive vs. just using exFAT.

NTFS is only a disadvantage, since permissions and security are tied to user accounts on a specific Windows machine / domain. NTFS supports transparent encryption on Windows but you won't be using that I imagine.

If you have a choice over the file system of the external drive, exFAT is the clear winner. If you need to read and write to a Windows system drive that you cannot format from a Mac, an NTFS driver like Paragon is a good compromise.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lawen posted:

I loved Quicksilver back in the day but I've been using Alfred for years and can't live without it now. If you just want a basic app launcher I honestly don't know that the free Alfred is much better than spotlight, fuzzy find and custom web searches may be the only benefits but I haven't kept up with new spotlight features. The powerpack though has so many useful features -- 1password integration, snippet manager, workflows, clipboard history, hotkeys. I just checked and on average I invoke Alfred over 30 times per day.

Tippis posted:

Alfred has turned out pretty good. It seems to be designed more for normies than Quicksilver was. Don't think I'd have much use for the additional Workflows features because I never really spend much time hoking around the files on my computer.

Also discovered the Vimmy Safari extension which brings Chrome's Vimium functionality to safari. Browsing the web with your keyboard is great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nervana posted:

New Mac user here. I found out Mac can't use NTFS external harddrives without installing a bunch of stuff, so I formated it to exFAT. Am I doing this right? I don't ever see me needing to use the drive on an older Mac, but I definitely will have to connect it to PC sometimes.

Wait, do we still live in that weird state where exfat formatted in MacOS doesn’t work with windows but the opposite is works perfectly?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

Wait, do we still live in that weird state where exfat formatted in MacOS doesn’t work with windows but the opposite is works perfectly?

It’s always (for the past several years) worked fine for me both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

It’s always (for the past several years) worked fine for me both ways.

Same.