Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have a guy named Persistent, who won't let me change his name. #Persist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lexorin posted:

I like how in all the co-op missions I've done, I routinely kill far fewer mobs than anyone else and yet always come in first place for points. I assume because I'm the only one doing the side quest things and picking up the rainbow orb thingies in between waves.

Any tips for MP so I'm not a liability?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Drop barriers around the drills and hit up those blue circles and pick up those boxes. Keep putting up barriers when others break and if you are too weak, try to distract them to group up and toss explosives at them or try for backstabs, because you won't hurt them. Man the heavy machine gun.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

If you're more than about 2 levels under the monster level you will do fuckall damage but you can still instagib with backstabs and your fences will still be perfectly effective. You can also contribute by grabbing optional objective boxes.

You automatically get a little wormhole generator that places a mine looking thing that you or anyone else on your team can warp to at any time, with a brief cooldown. Warp to other people's generators via the map.

During downtime run over to the red-shaded areas on the map and grab the rainbow orbs there, those are bonus Iris points.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have a guy named Persistent, who won't let me change his name. #Persist

What's up with that guy? He is the guy you recover in the post game mission with the fire wanderers but what is he a reference to? He sounds familiar. Maybe he'll become more important later.

poptart_fairy posted:

- The goal of MP is to defend the drill and gather enough Iris energy to get an S rank aka filling the bar in the bottom right of the screen. Anything else is secondary.

- All common special zombies are vulnerable/weakened by backstabs and are particularly important for Bombers and Armored enemies.

- You do NOT keep any resources gathered in MP and are shared so don't sweat it if someone comes and loots something you were looting.

- Whenever the drill is boosted, it makes a loud whirring noise and the energy bar at the bottom right of the screen turns gold/orange. The drill should ALWAYS be boosted, if it's not clear any enemies around it then walk up to it and press A to boost.

- Every player in multi has a warp gadget in their inventory. Placing it down lets every single player warp to it by selecting the location in their idroid, so place yours down somewhere safe. Ideally, you'll have someone placing theirs near the drill and other people placing theirs close to the red zones on the map for easy side missions but if no one puts theirs down, place yours wherever is more convenient for you.

- Zones marked red in the map are "crystalized areas" and spawn Iris crystals every once in a while, at least once per wave. You can go pick them up while doing side missions. For Normal and Easy difficulties you can easily drill enough energy for S rank but in Hard mode you will need to be diligent about collecting this extra energy.

- Whenever you are in the third wave, it's not a bad idea to approach the drill and use the support menu to call in backup. Interceptor spawns static defenses, Ammo resupply spawns a bench that refills all ammo for up to two players and Walker support spawns a pair of walkers (or a big walker) that you can use. All of these are really powerful abilities so use them if you need them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Figure out where materials and chests are and hoover them up before the first wave so you have them for later. Also run up to the ring where the digger will drop and hit the button to make it show up so that you get your minimap. It won't start digging right away when you do this, there's no reason not to.

Bring fences, put them in the path of zombies but try to avoid putting them inside the red circle around the digger because anything in there will be blown up when the wave ends. After you've dropped your fences you can probably build more with the resources on the map so it's not like you're throwing mats away doing this. You can rebuild your ammo too.

Backstab detonators so you can loot their corpses. If you don't have enough strength to instant kill them yet at least lure them away from supply boxes so they don't blow them up. Also backstab armored guys and bombers. Or shoot out bombers' legs to make them blow up around other zombies, but not your fences.

When you do sub missions (the blue circles) it puts the materials for their stated reward in the group box. So use them. If it gives you the mats for mounted guns or something make them (if you have the recipe for it)! Leave one of your inventory slots free for this, so that you don't have to throw away something to carry them.

Interact with the digger and make it speed up every round. If it takes any damage you'll have to do it again. You can get some other stuff from the digger too, like walker gears. Save those for the last round imo. But do use them, pubbies ignore them all the time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Det_no posted:

What's up with that guy? He is the guy you recover in the post game mission with the fire wanderers but what is he a reference to? He sounds familiar. Maybe he'll become more important later.

Isn't he on the list with the !secret kojima message! the internet has been flipping out about

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

lets hang out posted:

Isn't he on the list with the !secret kojima message! the internet has been flipping out about

No that's just this list and people pretending it's some sekrit code sticking it to the MAN http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Wandering_Mother_Base_Soldiers

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So, what's up with the Not-Africa map clearly missing a teleporter? I think it must've been removed at the last second, since the existing ones are still labelled 1-4 and 6-8. Probably at that obvious looking base near the mansion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, what's up with the Not-Africa map clearly missing a teleporter? I think it must've been removed at the last second, since the existing ones are still labelled 1-4 and 6-8. Probably at that obvious looking base near the mansion.

The missing teleporter is the one next to Sahelanthropus, it doesn't appear on the map for some reason but you can still use it after that mission.

edit: Oh wait it actually is marked on the map, it's just really close to the other one so it doesn't appear if you're zoomed out. Never mind.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have gone two days without getting a single rescue mission, it's driving me crazy. All I get are containers washing up 24/7

E. Apparently the way to do it is to sleep in a tent for entire days to let the quests reset until you get a distress mission.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 1, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll push further in the story before MP I think. The level difference made me feel daft even if I can contrubute other ways.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is Base Level 2 as high as it goes? It feels kinda weird to just have two levels of it, but I figured if there was another upgrade it wouldn't be gated behind MP and I've already done all the main story quests including post-game (unless there is base stuff gated behind doing a lot of base defenses or going after those special bosses)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ixjuvin posted:

You automatically get a little wormhole generator that places a mine looking thing that you or anyone else on your team can warp to at any time, with a brief cooldown. Warp to other people's generators via the map.
You mean that only you can teleport to your spot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Popular assumption is that further upgrades are going to come in an update or as part of an event

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One hour to go for drilling. I hope it isn't that fourth tier lunch room. I need that tent or gatling gun blueprint. The tier above the heavy gun needs a range buff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone making good use of the CQC skills? I'm just poking everything with a spear and that seems to do the job well enough.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

poptart_fairy posted:

Is anyone making good use of the CQC skills? I'm just poking everything with a spear and that seems to do the job well enough.

Throw is good for cliff throwing or general "move plz" purposes, stomp is good for when you have enemies on the ground for some reason, and the Leg Sweep is good for knockdowns.

The move "CQC Counter" hasn't really floored enemies from how I used it. Still not sure if I should when I could just Leg Sweep.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The throw is great, it leaves zombies realing for a second which gives you time to safely hit them in the head with something or even just walk around behind them and backstab. Punishes the lategame variety of zombie who can block for doing that too.

Parries can knock the helmet off of armored guys as well as a backstab. Also if you parry when a zombie is trying to run and fall on you you flip them around and hurl them away in a hilarious way.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 2, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

widespread posted:

Throw is good for cliff throwing or general "move plz" purposes, stomp is good for when you have enemies on the ground for some reason, and the Leg Sweep is good for knockdowns.

The move "CQC Counter" hasn't really floored enemies from how I used it. Still not sure if I should when I could just Leg Sweep.

The counter is great against those fast jumpy zombies, if they try that poo poo they just get judo thrown.

I'm finally trying multiplayer and I guess it's already too late? I've been sitting in matchmaking for the last ten minutes and nothing. Maybe I should change my matchmaking area? I currently have it set to North America, perhaps one of the specific US regions would be better?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

CQC utility really comes down to whether you want to win, or whether you would rather :smug:.

https://gfycat.com/VapidOfficialAntipodesgreenparakeet

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kiggles posted:

CQC utility really comes down to whether you want to win, or whether you would rather :smug:.

https://gfycat.com/VapidOfficialAntipodesgreenparakeet

Oh cool, MadWorld 2

Seal team 10
Mar 2, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Wheres the Puerve Armement insignia

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do not go over the population limit while expecting people to die in expeditions. They are incredibly good at staying alive with nothing to back them up and they are the poo poo personnel. My camp is now bottomed out on morale despite still making more resources. That one unhappy camper is pissing everyone off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do not go over the population limit while expecting people to die in expeditions. They are incredibly good at staying alive with nothing to back them up and they are the poo poo personnel. My camp is now bottomed out on morale despite still making more resources. That one unhappy camper is pissing everyone off.

Seriously, I'm sending bleeding, concussed soldiers with dysentery out to fetch wood like it's Darkest Dungeon and the dudes still manage to drag their mangled corpses back to base. Just die already.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Do you use your own resources from the single player campaign in coop or are you given stuff to work with?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Both.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Seriously, I'm sending bleeding, concussed soldiers with dysentery out to fetch wood like it's Darkest Dungeon and the dudes still manage to drag their mangled corpses back to base. Just die already.
I have been getting new people anyway since something got flagged in the game and now everyone I pick up is above garbage.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You realize of course you're only making them stronger and filling them with vengeful spite like Venom Snake and Kaz.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Carmant posted:

Do you use your own resources from the single player campaign in coop or are you given stuff to work with?

You use the defenses and such that you make outside of the game, but in terms of crafting you only use what you got inside of the match, and those materials are lost at then end of the match.

Quicksilver6 posted:

You realize of course you're only making them stronger and filling them with vengeful spite like Venom Snake and Kaz.

Played like a drat bassoon

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Got to do a bit of multiplayer at last (had to resort to joining a reddit discord for matchmaking) and it's really quite fun. I just wish it wasn't going to be dead in about a week due to the combination of poor reception and lack of real variety. The speed at which you get new equipment even when you're S-ranking hard missions is also bafflingly slow.

I also tried to do the first post-game boss and it KICKED MY rear end. I think I'm still too low level for it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I fought that boss again with all Legendary gear and he took off almost half my health in one hit. It also has a fast follow up, so if you get in melee range, he will kill you in two hits. I'll wait until I can upgrade Legendary gear. Level 50.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Scalding Coffee posted:

I fought that boss again with all Legendary gear and he took off almost half my health in one hit. It also has a fast follow up, so if you get in melee range, he will kill you in two hits. I'll wait until I can upgrade Legendary gear. Level 50.

Do you know if it has a particular weakspot I'm supposed to be shooting at or something? My problem wasn't so much surviving (I'm playing Jaeger so I'm never close to it anyways and his ranged attack has a pretty slow windup) as much as simply running out of ammo eventually.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I really want this game to turn into the tacticool of Monster Hunter that I had hoped Peace Walker might have accomplished.

Given the general limitation on resources it would probably be a lot more engaging than the rocket/resupply loop of boss fights in PW.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Infinity Gaia posted:

Do you know if it has a particular weakspot I'm supposed to be shooting at or something? My problem wasn't so much surviving (I'm playing Jaeger so I'm never close to it anyways and his ranged attack has a pretty slow windup) as much as simply running out of ammo eventually.
I am thinking it is behind his head, maybe his tail, but I am underleveled and doing jack for damage to find out. I am trying to plant explosives and see if I can stun or test its resistances.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

shoot big mouth in his big mouth

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Feed big mouth a barrel.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the feedback guys. Lot more to this game than I thought there'd be.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Game still fun.

Really impressed with how versatile the Fox Engine is in terms of patching. The devs have been doing a lot of serverside tweaks/balance passes on an almost daily basis vs. other games where you can expect anywhere from a 3-20gig patch to fix 1 single issue.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it ever possible to carry multiple back weapons? The Trench shovel is never coming off my hip, but choosing between a spear and bow drives me mad.

Also I love all the dangly belts and poo poo keeping your items on the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Is it ever possible to carry multiple back weapons? The Trench shovel is never coming off my hip, but choosing between a spear and bow drives me mad.

Also I love all the dangly belts and poo poo keeping your items on the character.

Unfortunately not, it sucks. I generally content myself with using the bow for exploration and the spear for base defense.

• Locked thread