Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I don't think you understand what I said. Try again

that's definitely the fault of the person reading the message and not the person who wrote it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Neurosis posted:

agreed. i hope there's some context missing that suggests it's a joke.

i was at a wedding yesterday and someone i was introduced to was ethnic chinese, worked in negotiations between chinese and western corporations , and had an educational background in political science. i asked her if she was concerned about what seemed to be burgeoning authoritarianism (i am aware raising politics when first meeting someone is usually verboten but i hate small talk and nothing i said was incendiary). she became immediately defensive, demanding to know if i could speak mandarin, then asking where i got my information from and scoffing at western news services and academic journals as clearly biased know-nothing outlets (contra state-run media i suppose). she also claimed when i mentioned that weird social credit thing and surveillance being set up that western nations are exactly the same in terms of being surveillance states, because facebook knows what products we like or something.

i've run into this attitude a fair bit now from those of a chinese background; even chinese whose families fled oppression in china, or who are ethnically chinese but come from families that have been in the chinese populations of, say, singapore or malaysia for centuries, are ardent defenders of china and swallow chinese gov stuff uncritically. the strong cultural ties and cohesion these experiences suggest is quite striking to me, since my anecdotal experiences have been people from other backgrounds and outside their countries of origin tend to be much more variable in terms of attitudes to their governments.

A lot of young arabs get this way about Dubai. Suggest that perhaps their big moment has some dark undertones and they get defensive. People want to believe they are the good guys.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Testikles posted:

A lot of young arabs get this way about Dubai. Suggest that perhaps their big moment has some dark undertones and they get defensive. People want to believe they are the good guys.

Americans tend to be universally negative about other countries and think nothing of insulting them while making small talk.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Testikles posted:

People want to believe they are the good guys.

Mitchell and Webb with Chinese Characteristics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Caganer posted:

that's definitely the fault of the person reading the message and not the person who wrote it

Yes, it is.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Americans tend to be universally negative about other countries and think nothing of insulting them while making small talk.

This is true I suppose. I don't live in the US so I can't argue for or against.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Caganer posted:

Im cucked for zuck

hes running

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well if you travel to other countries as an American you'll get people who will go negative on you about America, and at least for me it's hard not to become defensive even if their criticisms are grounded in truth.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump praising this is gross by any metric, it's the exact opposite of what a Democratically-elected leader should be doing.
trump is the least democratically-minded president we've had in quite a while. i'm sure he doesn't fully believe what he's saying but he still shouldn't have any benefit of the doubt

Neurosis posted:

agreed. i hope there's some context missing that suggests it's a joke.

i was at a wedding yesterday and someone i was introduced to was ethnic chinese, worked in negotiations between chinese and western corporations , and had an educational background in political science. i asked her if she was concerned about what seemed to be burgeoning authoritarianism (i am aware raising politics when first meeting someone is usually verboten but i hate small talk and nothing i said was incendiary). she became immediately defensive, demanding to know if i could speak mandarin, then asking where i got my information from and scoffing at western news services and academic journals as clearly biased know-nothing outlets (contra state-run media i suppose). she also claimed when i mentioned that weird social credit thing and surveillance being set up that western nations are exactly the same in terms of being surveillance states, because facebook knows what products we like or something.

i've run into this attitude a fair bit now from those of a chinese background; even chinese whose families fled oppression in china, or who are ethnically chinese but come from families that have been in the chinese populations of, say, singapore or malaysia for centuries, are ardent defenders of china and swallow chinese gov stuff uncritically. the strong cultural ties and cohesion these experiences suggest is quite striking to me, since my anecdotal experiences have been people from other backgrounds and outside their countries of origin tend to be much more variable in terms of attitudes to their governments.
it's only one person, but my ex is super cynical about chinese politics, as well as politics in general. i figured that as long as economic growth directly affects the chinese way of life, people won't give a poo poo about what's going on at the top. i guess it's not

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

It was a joke people, some of you need to relax and just enjoy hell universe occasionally

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Why would anyone invite any of you guys to a wedding? Jesus

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump praising this is gross by any metric, it's the exact opposite of what a Democratically-elected leader should be doing.

8-Bit, really. You know better than this.

Did you forget that the media is full of borderline-autistic jackals who wouldn't know a joke if they looked in the mirror?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tallgeese posted:

Did you forget that the media is full of borderline-autistic jackals who wouldn't know a joke if they looked in the mirror?

It's just a prank bro!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
ITT right wing morons are so baffled by a jay leno style joke they need to reassure each other of their worldview

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
*Asks a random Turk about the Armenian genocide at the grocery store*

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Kak posted:

*Asks a random Turk about the Armenian genocide at the grocery store*

Lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

im very glad that anime is now exploring the bleeding edge of 15th century political philosophy such as "what if you dont have a good king?"

There needs to be an individual post goldmine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
everyone here remembers that the USA didn't have presidential term limits until 1951, right?

like Xi is definitely dictator for life and everything don't get me wrong, i'm just pointing out that donny t is more dumb than horrific because we actively did already 'try' no term limits for 175 years and the consensus was 'nah'

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Coolguye posted:

everyone here remembers that the USA didn't have presidential term limits until 1951, right?

like Xi is definitely dictator for life and everything don't get me wrong, i'm just pointing out that donny t is more dumb than horrific because we actively did already 'try' no term limits for 175 years and the consensus was 'nah'

yeah and all of our presidents up until fdr managed to obey the norm set by george washington, and we made it a formal rule after that fucker violated it.

i suspect there will be a lot of rules made after Lord of Piss leaves office

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I don't really get Americans' obsession with term limits. Like, if you're willing to accept that the leader should be the one the people pick, and people like them enough to vote them into office again and again, why not? And it's not like it seems to stop would be dictators (Xi, Putin, etc.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i mean it's pretty reductionist to say that only americans are obsessed with term limits since at least 4 of the people shouting about it loudest itt responded to being called american like it was a slur with 'im not american', but term limits are there to keep people from co-opting the political machine entirely, which is exactly what unlimited term leaders tend to do simply because they've been around it longer. the argument that the people will always vote in their best interest presumes that all parties have equal access to the people, which has never been true ever.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't really get Americans' obsession with term limits. Like, if you're willing to accept that the leader should be the one the people pick, and people like them enough to vote them into office again and again, why not? And it's not like it seems to stop would be dictators (Xi, Putin, etc.)

They don't want to turn into fascist states like Canada (who has no term limits)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i mean it's pretty reductionist to say that only americans are obsessed with term limits since at least 4 of the people shouting about it loudest itt responded to being called american like it was a slur with 'im not american', but term limits are there to keep people from co-opting the political machine entirely, which is exactly what unlimited term leaders tend to do simply because they've been around it longer. the argument that the people will always vote in their best interest presumes that all parties have equal access to the people, which has never been true ever.

That makes perfect sense, thank you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Blistex posted:

They don't want to turn into fascist states like Canada (who has no term limits)

Yeah I know, I'm Canadian, which is partly why I always think the arguments of "should congressmen have term limits?? sheriffs? judges??" confusing.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tallgeese posted:

This is always the fallback claim of scoundrels when they been exposed or confronted by truth. "It was a joke". Your racist mewling is obvious.

GORILLA BASTARD fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 4, 2018

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Drumpft wasn't joking when he said maybe we should try that. Stop defending Trump; bootlickers.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Why does Zuckerberg look photoshopped in this picture? Like, his shoes have no shadow or reflection like the lady beside him and the guy behind him.

The giveaway is that their smiling. No one smiles in China.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

it would be pretty silly to have term limits in a system headed by the Queen of England

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rutibex posted:

it would be pretty silly to have term limits in a system headed by the Queen of England

It's only headed by the Queen if she's on Canadian soil, otherwise it's headed by the Governor General.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

It's only headed by the Queen if she's on Canadian soil, otherwise it's headed by the Governor General.

our senators are also appointed for life, like medieval lords

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Blistex posted:

There needs to be an individual post goldmine.

Even though I was the one burned, it is a very good post

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Blistex posted:

Canada is a Parliamentarian system. Prime ministers are way less powerful and imo more accountable. Assuming you're not talking about the governor general anyway since that position doesn't govern much

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

borderline-autistic jackals who wouldn't know a joke if they looked in the mirror?

Please, you no sign post, eh seņor?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 5, 2018

naem
May 29, 2011

Coolguye posted:

does everyone remember that America was created by Native American genocide and enslaved Africans

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Big Beef City posted:

Please, you no sign post, eh seņor?

:owned:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Coolguye posted:

You're missing the real difference by a mile.
No term limits still implies terms, which still implies elections every four years.
You can see maybe how "president for life" is a totally different thing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

naem posted:

does everyone remember that America was created by Native American genocide and enslaved Africans

i'm a graduate of betsy devos's education system so: no

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neurosis posted:

Canada is a Parliamentarian system. Prime ministers are way less powerful and imo more accountable. Assuming you're not talking about the governor general anyway since that position doesn't govern much

The way that Adrienne Clarkson was blowing through taxpayer money, you'd think she held the real reigns of power.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grape posted:

You're missing the real difference by a mile.
No term limits still implies terms, which still implies elections every four years.
You can see maybe how "president for life" is a totally different thing.

dude

reread my post and try again

hint: i'm not commenting on china at all and donny t specifically said we should try no term limits and people were calling it horrifying that he would say such a thing

hint2: i am calling donny t a stupid man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Coolguye posted:

I'd argue that what happened wasn't so much consensus, as it was the Republicans ramming the 22nd through as revenge against FDR.

• Locked thread