Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fedule posted:

Thank you all for reading.

And thank you for Let's Playing. It's been a long, strange, nostalgic trip.

Back when I bought my Vita, this was one of the first games I picked up for it. But before I started playing it, I found out it was a sequel to 999, so I decided to check and see if there was an LP for that game which had been completed. As it happens, there wasn't a completed one, but Dragonatrix had just started hers, so I started following that. And then I realized that it was gonna be a long time before she finished, so I ended up buying and playing through 999 on my own and loved the hell out of it, then played through VLR and loved the hell out of that, too. And then when this LP started, I started following along, just so I could see other people's reactions to the story.

Also, you all have no idea how goddamn hard it was for me to restrain myself from commenting on poo poo because I didn't want to inadvertently spoil anything that hadn't been shown yet.

So anyway, thanks again for all your hard work, Fedule. It was worth seeing this through to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Fedule posted:

The scenes that we're about to see were added to the game very late in development - so late, in fact, that there was no time to record the Japanese VO. But it wasn't too late for Aksys! Accordingly, the voiceover links from here on out are in English only. Sorry, people who were listening in Japanese.

Specifically this scene was added after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake which happened very late in development. Apparently the team didn't feel comfortable releasing a game with such a bleak ending in the wake of that disaster, so they added this scene to make it more hopeful.

I won't link the interview in question because it also has ZTD spoilers but Uchikoshi has said he actually regrets adding voices to this scene for the English version, and that he regrets putting it in a place in the timeline that makes it seem like a real follow up to the Phi end. He sees it purely as a metafiction bonus scene that "has no connection to the chronology of the official storyline. The official story of VLR ended with young Sigma witnessing the explosion of the antimatter reactors from the Crash Keys base on April 13, 2029."

So bear that in mind as you go on to enjoy the ZTD Let's Play that I'm confident some brave soul will start soon. Or better yet when you play it yourselves!

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I can’t believe this is over, literally can’t believe it. Except the story clearly isn’t over, so it’s kind of like it isn’t. Very appropriate.

Great LP.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, you all have no idea how goddamn hard it was for me to restrain myself from commenting on poo poo because I didn't want to inadvertently spoil anything that hadn't been shown yet.

Yeah. For a while early on I contented myself with leaning into people's wild theories, not saying stuff of my own but supporting their logic or lack thereof. But it was too tempting to start doing winks so I had to pull back entirely.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm a little sad that my flowchart files got corrupted so I couldn't have a complete one ready before the LP ended.

Anyway, thanks for making me buy VLR, Fedule. Uh, four years ago.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

You know, of the whole ending this is one part that has confused the gently caress out of me since the game came out. How does Schrodinger's Cat create time travel? This really should have had even some pseudo bullshit explanation on how this is even suppose to work.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

mateo360 posted:

You know, of the whole ending this is one part that has confused the gently caress out of me since the game came out. How does Schrodinger's Cat create time travel? This really should have had even some pseudo bullshit explanation on how this is even suppose to work.

I think they just mean it's how they'll avoid a paradox with two of the same body running around. Obviously there's not enough detail to even guess at specifics but I can see how those would be related. The travel itself is left without even a hint of explanation, presumably Akane's keeping that for herself.

---

I can't believe it's loving over.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

mateo360 posted:

My first thought was maybe Akane could make an extra timeline, where the whole facility and experiment is recreated as a fakeout, like in 999, and they're actually still in the past in some desert with the lunar eclipse going on instead of looking at hosed-up Earth. ...but that doesn't work, because her and Tenmyouji have still gotta be old!

So my next thought is, Akane got cornered by an angry Clover and Alice and just told them "uhhh, I can totally fix it with Schroedinger's Cat, let me get back to you" just to shut them up and make them go away without axe murdering her.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Back in the dark days before ZTD came out I did actually have an answer to this question that I was pretty satisfied with, but it's awkward to talk about now that there's a third game that I don't want to spoil complicating things.

edit:

Bifauxnen posted:

My first thought was maybe Akane could make an extra timeline, where the whole facility and experiment is recreated as a fakeout, like in 999, and they're actually still in the past in some desert with the lunar eclipse going on instead of looking at hosed-up Earth. ...but that doesn't work, because her and Tenmyouji have still gotta be old!

Yep, it was pretty much this. Akane and Tenmyouji being old isn't a problem because they know how to create androids that are indistinguishable from humans. They can even have it both ways; the version on the moon happens with androids programmed to believe they're Clover and Alice, the version in the past happens with android duplicates of everyone else.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 6, 2018

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

mateo360 posted:

My guess: as long as it's impossible for an observer to prove that there are two of you running around(making the cat both alive and dead, metaphorically) you can continue to exist in that reality.

I haven't played ZTD yet but this one's been covered by a lot of other time-travel stories, so...

NRVNQSR posted:

Yep, it was pretty much this. Akane and Tenmyouji being old isn't a problem because they know how to create androids that are indistinguishable from humans. They can even have it both ways; the version on the moon happens with androids programmed to believe they're Clover and Alice, the version in the past happens with android duplicates of everyone else.

Then it turns out the Radical-6 outbreak never happened and they were just pranking some robots. :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Then Harrison Ford is called out of retirement to hunt down Not Alice and Not Clover. All these rabbit puns will be lost like tears in rain.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
IT

IS

DONE!

Have a smoked kipper Fedule you are finally back for breakfast :dukedog:

mateo360 posted:

Personally, I think it has to do with their clothing.
You know the Emperor's New Clothes?

Check out Schrodinger's Clothes!

It would explain everything by not explaining anything at all. :shepface:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It would certainly explain Alice's Magic Gold Titty Ring.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Congratulations Fedule, you did it! I enjoyed re-experiencing this game with all of you over the last 5 years.

Hopefully most people will go on and play ZTD for themselves, as at the very least it does provide closure to the story. But if some mad soul does undertake an LP I'll be here to follow along.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Zakrelo posted:

Picked up Zero Time Dilemma while it was on sale. Can't wait to play it in 3 years when this LP finishes.

A mere 1 year later and i'm ready! Thanks for all your work, Fedule.

NRVNQSR posted:

I won't link the interview in question because it also has ZTD spoilers but Uchikoshi has said he actually regrets adding voices to this scene for the English version, and that he regrets putting it in a place in the timeline that makes it seem like a real follow up to the Phi end. He sees it purely as a metafiction bonus scene that "has no connection to the chronology of the official storyline. The official story of VLR ended with young Sigma witnessing the explosion of the antimatter reactors from the Crash Keys base on April 13, 2029."

So bear that in mind as you go on to enjoy the ZTD Let's Play that I'm confident some brave soul will start soon. Or better yet when you play it yourselves!

Now to Soporil away that last update so I can properly experience Zero Time Dilemma.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You put in a fuckload of work into this LP, and it deserves to be appreciated. Thank you Fedule.

You put absolutely no work into this post, and it deserves to be appreciated. Thank you Waffleman.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Fedule posted:

Yes. I've been administering Soporil whenever he...gets restless.

Is that safe?

Eh.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Seriously, thanks Fedule. Gonna miss having this thread in my bookmarks :unsmith:

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Well, I guess now's as good a time as any to get the series. Thank you Fedule.

I will go play ZTD, but I will also eagerly wait to see if someone makes an LP. The second best part of these games is the discourse with other fans, after all.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Congrats on finishing this LP, Fedule. I'm so glad you managed to make it to the end.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The fact that Junpei's basically considered Akane a lost cause is just another kick in the balls for him. The man can't catch a break.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Thank you, Fedule. I bought this game years ago because of this LP, and it was well worth it.

Congratulations on completing this titanic undertaking.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So after finishing this LP I've binged on ZTD... I don't know how to adequately explain my feelings which are the equivalent of nodding sagely while throwing a table across the room.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think we can say with certainty at this point: being Junpei is suffering.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh man Uchikoshi why you gotta tease us like that with that you-know-who at the end there. I was all :stare: once I realized the implication.

I do like how Uchikoshi is just taking the idea of quantum superposition as applied to human observation and just rolling with it as far as he can. It's easy to think "how could Sigma possibly succeed when he already experienced the future where he failed", except, what if he didn't? What if Sigma actually succeeded and this whole AB Project was just an elaborate ruse to fool his younger self into believing that he had failed, thus ensuring that the future is saved. Everyone in the facility are robots, the articles and other documentation describing the event are fabrications, and Sigma and Phi themselves were inoculated with some drug that mimics the effects of Radical-6 without it actually being the virus. Or maybe that's all just a fanciful dream and everything we just saw happened exactly as everyone says it did.

Or maybe both of those scenarios are simultaneously true. Would you be able to tell the difference, if all you had to go by was your own sense of awareness?

Of course I say all this not having played ZTD, so who knows what nonsense Uchikoshi came up with to follow up on this mess :v:

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Fedule...Thank you. :shobon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Onmi posted:

So after finishing this LP I've binged on ZTD... I don't know how to adequately explain my feelings which are the equivalent of nodding sagely while throwing a table across the room.
:allears:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Hell of a ride. Thank you, Fedule!

Onmi posted:

I got drat close to throwing more than a table on occasion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fedule posted:

And...Akane?

She's just like him. Not the Akane I knew.

She must have seen some pretty awful things over the years.
Hell, she might not even be human anymore.

[Music fades out]

She's not anywhere...

As much as I think the romance in 999 was awkward, it was worth it for the bittersweet payoff here. I really like this moment.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As much as I think the romance in 999 was awkward, it was worth it for the bittersweet payoff here. I really like this moment.

:agreed:

this part was just so depressing, but so good

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh man Uchikoshi why you gotta tease us like that with that you-know-who at the end there. I was all :stare: once I realized the implication.

This is probably a good time to mention that there's an LP of Ever17 in the archives as well, though the translation is a little infamous.

And of course congratulations Fedule, you've finally suffered through the entirety of your 250-week VLR sentence. Enjoy your freedom!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

After 999 and VLR, there was a Q&A session to clear up a few things. (I assume there's one for ZTD too) Do they still exist somewhere?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
...I can't believe it's over. Thanks, Fedule, this was a (very, very long) treat.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

MightyPretenders posted:

After 999 and VLR, there was a Q&A session to clear up a few things. (I assume there's one for ZTD too) Do they still exist somewhere?

Fedule posted:

If you still have any questions about the plot, there's a good chance they're one of the 93 that were posed to Uchikoshi (and Ben Bateman, the localisation editor) in an interactive Q&A session following the game's English release. There's a lot of great, interesting and funny stuff in there, and some of it may have even not been completely forgotten about in the years it took them to make the sequel happen.

Bolded for emphasis. You're welcome.

Kanfy posted:

This is probably a good time to mention that there's an LP of Ever17 in the archives as well, though the translation is a little infamous.

Exactly what am I in for? What is the problem with the translation?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Huh, so there is an explanation after all. I guess I'd better play/read those other Uchikoshi games.

Onmi posted:

It was more like hysterical laughter on my end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Solitair posted:

Huh, so there is an explanation after all. I guess I'd better play/read those other Uchikoshi games.

It was more like hysterical laughter on my end.

Well, see, for me the fundamental issue was ZTD's entire... 'game' the narrative one, not the overall one. I'm trying to be vague so no spoilers, but the narrative concept behind what goes on, annoyed the piss out of me, where I felt VLR and 999 have consistent themes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

(Akane-as-)Zero is a great villain.

Zero knows you're going to win eventually, so what do they do? Make sure that they share your victory conditions, and bring in another bad guy so they can arrange to secretly be on the same side as you.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, Fedule, for a really good job LP-ing this gem. I am one of the people who picked it up for myself after a few months of the LP and loved it to bits, but still kept coming back to see the reactions of others.

Onmi posted:

Sounds about right, yeah. It's... difficult to describe.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
oh so that was a maybe reference to another game of his?

I have so much to say about that that I cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Finishing this game when it came out REALLY sucked, learning there wasn't going to be a sequel to answer... any of it...

and then. A miracle.

• Locked thread