Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Anyone have any general (or specific) guidelines for getting poo poo off the ground a bit faster or just efficiently using every turn to eliminate some of the tedium? At this point I’m not adverse to using mods, if there are any that help.

If you're playing R&F you can use Magnus to accelerate things with super chops and cheap settlers. Leaning on trade routes to get new cities up and running helps a lot, but that's at the tail end of the early game, especially since R&F pushed back trade route bonuses.

Personally I find that Civ 6 is about the best in the series for making the early game interesting and varied, but it's probably the worst since Civ 3 at making different civs feel different, especially early on. I find there's a lot of room to adapt to different starts, but outside of a few standouts your early game is not going to change much based on your civ choice. I haven't checked out any new civ mods but you might want to look there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I love the early game of Civ and hate the late game. Early game exploring is the best , and barbarians being a concern while still trying to land grab for resources. Early war also feels the best because it's more about tactics and numbers than tech, but late game I find the tech plays a much larger role as people find themselves on various branches of the tech tree.

1UpT is my favorite change because it makes terrain much more important and allows for natural map defenses in the early and mid game.

I think my biggest complaint about Civ 6 is wonders needing specific tiles and generally feeling less strong than Civ 5. Far too many are just passive bonuses that would want to stack and not enough super effects you can't make up in any other way. I get that people didn't like that about Civ 5, but I enjoyed that things like "library catapult rush" was an strat and generally I find because of the terrain requirements, it's less viable to plan around a wonder being your key strat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Straight White Shark posted:

If you're playing R&F you can use Magnus to accelerate things with super chops and cheap settlers. Leaning on trade routes to get new cities up and running helps a lot, but that's at the tail end of the early game, especially since R&F pushed back trade route bonuses.

Personally I find that Civ 6 is about the best in the series for making the early game interesting and varied, but it's probably the worst since Civ 3 at making different civs feel different, especially early on. I find there's a lot of room to adapt to different starts, but outside of a few standouts your early game is not going to change much based on your civ choice. I haven't checked out any new civ mods but you might want to look there.

I feel like too many Civs have a "when you go to war you get..." ability which to me is boring. Civ5 managed to make them feel a lot more different to each other.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Taear posted:

I feel like too many Civs have a "when you go to war you get..." ability which to me is boring. Civ5 managed to make them feel a lot more different to each other.
Aren't a lot of them only for specific types of war too?

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
You say all the Civs are the same, but my irrational hatred of Robert the Bruce, begs to differ. I haven't had one game where we were not hostile to each other (or I later killed him off completely- warmonger penalties be damned). Hope you like playing golf in Hell Robert.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

highmodulus posted:

You say all the Civs are the same, but my irrational hatred of Robert the Bruce, begs to differ. I haven't had one game where we were not hostile to each other (or I later killed him off completely- warmonger penalties be damned). Hope you like playing golf in Hell Robert.

Right, but playing as Robert the Bruce is going to be basically indistinguishable from most of the other civs because all of his stuff is minor and/or situational and/or takes forever to get into the game. That's my point, Civ 6 does a good job of changing up the experience based on your surroundings, like what civs you're near, but most civs aren't interesting or unique to play as.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Seems like the R&F civs are better balanced out of the gate, so you just aren't stomping with them like certain launch day Civs pre-nerfing.

I find Poundmaker to play pretty unique FTW. I think its my favorite of the new Civs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Civ 6 doesn't have anything even remotely like Civ 5 Venice, and that's a drat tragedy.

Also Civ 5 had way more fun and interesting modded civs, like the Militaires Sans Frontieres and all the Madokas. Civ 6 modding hasn't quite gotten there yet.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 5, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

highmodulus posted:

I find Poundmaker to play pretty unique FTW. I think its my favorite of the new Civs.

Poundmaker was the first one I jumped into as well. The scooping up tiles within three spaces when a trader moves into them can be nice, but occasionally you'll be annoyed as the game seems to randomly path around resources that it seeming has no reason to avoid.

Their unique scout is pretty nice and since you usually want to get a scout or two, having ones that immediate start being able to zip through forests is pretty helpful.

Their unique building is pretty nice, though does require some favorable RNG to get it in a setup where you're also not blocking other things.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This is new, isn't it?
Ed Beach discusses the developer vision from this point?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Some good things in here:

-Dutch Poulder’s will be able to be built next to Hills (fixing my only problem with playing as Dutch!)
-UI tweaks for loyalty / alliance visibility for tech tree progress
-City States getting beefier defenses & production boost to walls (earlier walls?) to keep them alive

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

highmodulus posted:

Seems like the R&F civs are better balanced out of the gate, so you just aren't stomping with them like certain launch day Civs pre-nerfing.

There are some that are quite different. I think I just prefer mods that are all the time. Like I'm feeling quite different when I play as Germany but that doesn't carry over if I'm Persia.
Germany's ability is just always on. The same goes for Korea. But Persia or Scotland aren't.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What was ultimately wrong with Beyond Earth that made it suck so much? I never bothered buying it because of all the negativity surrounding it but I'm curious.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I thought it was good. It wasn’t terrible, but more like an expansion for Civ5. It had its moments and I loved the atmosphere.

A lot of the features were not seen to fully balanced completion.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Shortest Path posted:

What was ultimately wrong with Beyond Earth that made it suck so much? I never bothered buying it because of all the negativity surrounding it but I'm curious.

Another Civ game the AI has no idea how to play. A game about exploring a strange new world and transhumanism. You'll actually spend your time fighting aliens who are indistinguishable from barbarians, and setting destinations for trade routes. The transhumanism is just a switch for deciding if you want robot units, alien units, or hover units.

If you're curious, there's a demo for Rising Tide (they made an expansion which added more features the AI has no idea how to use, and the ability to hybrid between the three flavours of transhuman units), you can see if you get bored of it before the demo ends like I did.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Borsche69 posted:

I prefer being able to move 1 stack of units instead of 100 individual units. I think the combat system can definitely be improved (some way to let the stack attack as a whole so you're using combined arms) but these carpets of death are way worse than stacks ever were.

Stack attack was an option in civ4 though.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Civ 6 is my first civ game, that being said I do find that all the issues mentioned are also very true.

Early game it's slow going and same-same. Mid game it's a steamroll and late game is a joke. I'm on deity diff, small map vs 8 AI.

Picking Korea, Australia and Germany are easy mode. Rome is slightly less easy.

Culture victories for me are seemingly accidental when going for domination and sitting around trying to grind out a science victory is boring :-/

Religion is just...bad and really a crapshoot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Another Civ game the AI has no idea how to play. A game about exploring a strange new world and transhumanism. You'll actually spend your time fighting aliens who are indistinguishable from barbarians, and setting destinations for trade routes. The transhumanism is just a switch for deciding if you want robot units, alien units, or hover units.

If you're curious, there's a demo for Rising Tide (they made an expansion which added more features the AI has no idea how to use, and the ability to hybrid between the three flavours of transhuman units), you can see if you get bored of it before the demo ends like I did.
Since the transhumanism is 90% from tech you always end up with hybrid units and hybrid cities no matter what anyway.

Also while some people think the tech web was neat I found it terrible. It's a confusing overwhelming mess with no clear direction of any kind and feels mostly just thrown together randomly. But at least you could set trade routes to repeat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I really enjoyed BE, and found the Alien Barbarians much more engaging than the Barbarians in Civ, though they improved that a lot in Civ 6.

I appreciated how your units evolved and that was a game where spies worked well. A fellow goon even flipped one of my cities in multiplayer.

The AI was pretty terrible though and the Civs were very bland and boring compared to Alpha Centauri; which is where most of the game's hate comes from. People wanted a straight up remake of AC in HD with some tweaks and got something closer to a total conversion for Civ 5 that tried some new things. I never played the expansion that much but really enjoyed the base game. It was good once you accepted that it wasn't AC or Civ 5 and was trying to do it's own thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Stack attack was an option in civ4 though.

yeah but it autoattacked in order of success rate, meaning that your siege units generally went dead last :downs:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
BE "worked", to a point, as a chill sandbox experience. But it just wasn't terribly interesting or engaging. If you felt like mindlessly clicking on things and watching numbers go up, well, it could do a decent enough job of that, but that was about it.

A lot of the same criticisms can be leveled at Civ 6, but crucially, the optimization puzzles Civ 6 delivers are a lot more interesting. Sometimes Civ 6 feels less like I'm competing with other civs and more like I'm playing a puzzle game with myself, but the puzzles are interesting enough that I'm OK with that. And the AI is juust competent enough to provide some pressure if you're playing on the higher difficulties, at least if you're not abusing the most overpowered civs. Which is a marked contrast from BE on both counts.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
BE's gameplay was functional but unexciting. There was a satellite mechanic, and poison gas you could learn to breathe if you picked the alien bodymodding transhumans, but everything else could easily have been a civ V mod. The flavor text also left something to be desired. There was some neat stuff in the civpedia, but the tech and wonder quotes were uninspired. Civs also boiled down to a bunch of well-intentioned meganations, designed to be diffusive enough that all of them could pick any path.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I did like how one of the victories in BE was to bring the earths population to the new planet, or to invade them with your army of robots. I really liked the far future tech, and someday hope Civ will have a game where you start out at stone age but end in some star treky kind of future. Like the Empire Earth RTS game.

Though the best Civ spin off is Colonization. I really love creating supply chains to both improve your colonies and made mad bux back home. Fighting a war of independence is fun too. The one that was a reskin of Civ4 was solid, but the classic Dos one is by far the best.

Man, Governors are just the best. They can really help make a city really useful. Stick the guy who upgrades to not using up a pop to create a settler in a high production city early on and just spam settlers. The government district is also great. Why wouldn't you chose the one that gives you a new worker when you found a city? Though i'm surprised there isn't a military one. No one improves unit production or gives free promotions. The Castellan is good for defense though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

yeah but it autoattacked in order of success rate, meaning that your siege units generally went dead last :downs:

You could crtl+click to select all units of the same type and then stack-attack with those first, then the rest of the stack.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I agree governors are amazing, but I kind of feel like Magnus has the same problem as tradition in Civ V- I’m not seeing a reason not to pick him as my first choice once I realized how insane the superchop boost is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

BE's gameplay was functional but unexciting. There was a satellite mechanic, and poison gas you could learn to breathe if you picked the alien bodymodding transhumans, but everything else could easily have been a civ V mod. The flavor text also left something to be desired. There was some neat stuff in the civpedia, but the tech and wonder quotes were uninspired. Civs also boiled down to a bunch of well-intentioned meganations, designed to be diffusive enough that all of them could pick any path.

I still think the tech web was BE's best innovation, though I can understand why they didn't bring it over to 6. It's not very intuitive for a new player. Likewise the espionage system, I think BE had the best implementation in the Civ series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magil Zeal posted:

You could crtl+click to select all units of the same type and then stack-attack with those first, then the rest of the stack.

i guess, but in my experience, if you're advancing at a regular rate and not savescumming the random seed, your main offensive cluster probably won't number more than 15 or 20 at any given time, just balancing losses vs reinforcements. maybe twice that if you have a two-tier tech advantage (riflemen/cavalry vs maceman/longbows). at that point, you might as well just rclick that many times yknow?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Still getting a lot of accidental cultural victories even on Emperor. Generally one spy is enough to protect against most espionage since enemies focus on the capital so all my others are out stealing great works for want of anything better to do. Still fun as hell, but having a sprawling empire feels like a real hassle in the late game when I know I don't care about a newly conquered city enough to micromanage its overlapping industrial zone bonuses or adjacencies.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Firaxis has announced a new patch
There's nothing exciting in there, I was going to just link the interesting stuff but it all feels like tiny alterations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

quote:

Removed the Flirtatious and Curmudgeon agendas.

Come on. Those were hilarious.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why did they remove those agendas so quickly? Was it a joke that accidentally was left in?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Why did they remove those agendas so quickly? Was it a joke that accidentally was left in?

Guess they didn't expect such a negative reaction. Personally I thought they were amusing and not that intrusive.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It's not like the rest of agenda system isn't pretty annoying anyway.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Things of note:

-You actually have a decent chance of getting to place polders now
-Apparently Amphibious was bugged all along?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I actually liked the sex based agendas. -6 isn't overly difficult to overcome, and +6 was a nice boost. I felt that those agendas added more variety to the game than one would expect them to.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Seems like the nerf to Vicky's ability was unwarranted. Doesn't the tooltip still say it works for conquered cities? I understand it was exploitable for free cities but that's a problem with free cities.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also Free Cities basically being barbarians is apparently a design choice they're doubling down on. :lol:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Human Crouton posted:

I actually liked the sex based agendas. -6 isn't overly difficult to overcome, and +6 was a nice boost. I felt that those agendas added more variety to the game than one would expect them to.

:agreed:

Those two were unironically the best designed agendas in the game IMO. I think consistency is the absolute most important part of an agenda and would much rather have a 100% arbitrary agenda that you can't do anything about over an agenda that offers the illusion of choice. Most of the hidden agendas ultimately boil down to "hates you if you're doing well" or "hates you if you're doing poorly." If you're getting bitched at for doing lovely, there's nothing you can do about it; if you're getting bitched at for doing too well, it's not like you're going to handicap yourself to placate Gandhi or whoever. And like you say, +/- 6 really hits the sweet spot for being noticeable but not overwhelming.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

My inner 11-year-old is never going to let the Cree live down that they named one of their cities this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

Well sure, you gotta manage some aspects of it. But normally you'd bombard with siege, then go in with whatever had the highest attack chance. Still very easy to do with two control+clicks plus much more enjoyable then moving a carpet of units.