Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

poptart_fairy posted:

copper and lead is limited.

craft the basic version of the gun and you get a full mag for free. The green ar is dirt cheap to make and you can bank 30 rounds a pop. Plus you can get half the materials back taking them apart or just send them off on your exploration team for lead scavenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, no poo poo? Time to get my craft on in that case.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fifteen minutes is just too long, it’s too much, with no check point and no way to restock supplies, I made it to 7 minutes but loving rear end in a top hat got a lucky shot in and took me from half health to death because these fuckers just surround you and gently caress you you’re out of grenades and molotovs and other poo poo you might need to defend your position and you get way too many injuries that take forever to heal with the necessary medication
It’s not like I can grind either because I’m not finding like more blueprints or gear I can craft

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is

Calaveron posted:

Fifteen minutes is just too long, it’s too much, with no check point and no way to restock supplies, I made it to 7 minutes but loving rear end in a top hat got a lucky shot in and took me from half health to death because these fuckers just surround you and gently caress you you’re out of grenades and molotovs and other poo poo you might need to defend your position and you get way too many injuries that take forever to heal with the necessary medication
It’s not like I can grind either because I’m not finding like more blueprints or gear I can craft
The extract the weapon mission? Just stay behind the big rock and put some fences up, the mortars won’t hit anything except wanderers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Akuma posted:

Is
The extract the weapon mission? Just stay behind the big rock and put some fences up, the mortars won’t hit anything except wanderers.

I mean you have all 8 mortar bullets and fences are so delicate. I feel like there’s something I’m missing
Also I’m running short on food and water, why won’t the game spawn more animal detection things, and why can’t I do normal missions all of a sudden?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

I mean you have all 8 mortar bullets and fences are so delicate. I feel like there’s something I’m missing
Also I’m running short on food and water, why won’t the game spawn more animal detection things, and why can’t I do normal missions all of a sudden?
Are you staying back behind the rock, near the digger? I meant the enemy mortars, not the ones in the base to the side.

You should have an assortment of barricades to use, hopefully you’ve upgraded your spear (if you’re using it) to have the square button attack because that’s probably key.

Like the 15 minute duration is a little intimidating but there’s usually time between waves to recuperate.

You’ve been “strengthening” your gear, yeah?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Put wooden watchtowers under the portals btw

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Akuma posted:

Is

The mortars aren't even showing up for Calaveron yet.

Calaveron posted:

You should have access to goat cages at base by now.

But really sounds like you're leaning hard on actively killing wanderers, rather than constructing objects or tools to slow them down. Yes, you do need to actively get in there and kill things, but aside from lots of fences/barriers of different types - make use of your 20 crystals. Not only will it draw their attention (if they haven't noticed you first) taking pressure off your fences, but they'll clump up, making your molotovs/grenades/flame arrows more efficient. Things like fences should be more for stragglers that break away from the lures. Prioritize the clumps, then scrap the wanderers off your fences with melee when near, and use the guns to plink others off fences when they are far.

Also, are you being careful with your tools? Molotovs on water is a bad idea. Are you polishing half burned wanderers with other resources, or letting damage defense units like barbwire fences finish them off? Are you stacking molotovs/Flame Arrows on the same targets? You can let a half dead wanderer reach the digger. Worry more about plugging holes than finishing for an S rank - there is no rank. Digger health is therefore a resource. Let it take some of the stress off in finishing 1 or 2 that slip through instead of breaking your pacing.

It really comes down to you effectively using some gadgets, over being a more a more aggressive death machine.

When a bunch of Mortar NPCs pop up, just fall back. The digger is sheltered, and because of the map design, those mortars will do a lot of work thinning the wanderers for you. If you're down on resources by min 10 or earlier, you're still fine. Keep cool.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 16, 2018

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Calaveron posted:

You would probably find some useful item and gear recipes if you go back through all the ruins you've previously been to to get the crate that is only available after you've completed whichever mission the ruin is tied to. Just find a guide for each ruin too make sure you got all the crates. There should also be plenty of mats for arrows and bullets in each ruin.

MP also drops gear pretty regularly if you're s-ranking so you can grind a bit if you want. The tab farthest to the right in the weapon / gear crafting menu shows all the broken gear you've collected in mp. Once these are crafted they're usually better than a recipe version of the same item because they come with perks.

If you're not able to do normal difficulty right now, it's probably because the normal missions you were doing before were dailies / weeklies and you haven't officially unlocked the normal difficulty mp. I can't remember if it is level or story gated. E: Normal mode MP is story gated ... TO THE CHAPTER YOU'RE STUCK ON

Calaveron posted:

I went into this with 6 chainlink fences, 6 iron watchtowers, 6 sandbag footholds, 2 machine gun emplacements, 60 9mm bullets, 30 arrows, and 30 fire arrows. Filling the space in front of the objective with 14 tightly-packed, 1k+ hp defense units should slow everything down for a good 9 minutes or more, and leaves you with 4 units in reserve to patch holes.

Plop a machine gun down on one of the watchtowers and use it to take out Bombers. Use fire arrows, molotovs, and grenades to clear big groups stacking up on your defenses. Never let the Bombers get close to your defenses. Ever.

When the Mortars fire their exploding shells you can knock them away with a 2-handed weapon.

titties fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 16, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I can’t edit my base, so I can’t change the development teams, I don’t know where my goat cages went to, never found blueprints to machine gun emplacements or those wooden tower things, animals have stopped spawning so I’m starting to run dry

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Akuma posted:

Is

Literally do this once the Mortars come out. They'll shell their own guys and as long as you stay out if sight, friendly fire will be very prevelent. It got real tense for me at the last 3 minutes as I was very low on health and out of grenades and mollies.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I’m into the post game now and have zero animal cages. I guess I’m real bad at missing crates.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Calaveron posted:

I can’t edit my base, so I can’t change the development teams, I don’t know where my goat cages went to, never found blueprints to machine gun emplacements or those wooden tower things, animals have stopped spawning so I’m starting to run dry

I used three fences to block the driller and that was really the only defense. It helped to be pro-active on that fight and kill them as they fall out of the portal. Bombers are really easy to backstab as they get up. Fire Arrows are great for groups and if you use heavy arrows, don't forget to pick them up again.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Akuma posted:

I’m into the post game now and have zero animal cages. I guess I’m real bad at missing crates.

Yeah, that happened to me, too. The goat cages are the only ones available from the overworld - they're on the other side of the hill from Transporter 7

The others you get from the first few base digs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just unlocked the hydro farm and that fixed the food problem forever. I now have everything again and that is boring.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ok so three mortars spawned and no more enemies so I’m just waiting for the clock to count down while my controller goes apeshit vibrating

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean I got it but that was a terribly designed mission. Either keep the volume of enemies but cut the timer drastically shorter or keep it the same but reduce the number of enemies. As it is it took loving around with enemy AI to even have a chance of beating it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's doing a really poor job of training you to camp the portals. You're not meant to be reacting to the hordes when they hit your defenses - they're meant to be hosed up before they even get there.

15 minutes was too big a jump from the previous one though, I'll agree there.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
It's almost certainly the toughest mission in the story, especially since as Calaveron experienced you can go into it with extremely limited resources. It should have at least been broken up into three five-minute waves.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I beat the mission but still can't do normal difficulty coop

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hmm not sure I want this tactical bow after all
Ten titanium and carbon fiber for each repair. :stonk:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I like the bow for resource runs and sneaking missions but I just can't use it effectively in defences. So I stuck to the spear for its sweet spinning dash attack. Until today when I got a broken blade chopper and gave heavy weapons a try and hoo boy, that special attack can destroy an entire spawn's worth of wanderers at once if you time it right.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I like the bow for resource runs and sneaking missions but I just can't use it effectively in defences.

Fire arrows are ridiculously effective in defence.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Lone Badger posted:

Fire are ridiculously effective in defence.

Moreso arrows due to penetration but let’s be real here

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Calaveron posted:

I know you already beat the mission but you can find the machine gun emplacement recipe in a crate a little south of transporter 10. Here is a list of blueprint locations organized by which point in the story brings you closest to the chest.

As far as the Normal difficulty multiplayer, you have to complete chapter 19 to unlock them. I thought chapter 19 was the 15-minute base defense but I must have gotten them mixed up, the wiki says it's a single-player iris energy drill mission.

E: also you've been mentioning problems finding food. At this point you should probably have at least some potato and corn growing at your base. Meat can be had at just about any clear area. Even if there are no animal detected side missions, some of the clear areas have 3 or 4 different sets of animals in them. Just check dfferent ones until you find wolves or goats or asses or sheep or whatever. Scoop up gerbils and hedgehogs at transporter sites. Also keep an ear out for birds, they are all over the place.

titties fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 16, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So how long does cooked meat last before rotting? I can't figure out if it's raw meat or cooked meals giving me my kitchen waste.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

titties posted:

I know you already beat the mission but you can find the machine gun emplacement recipe in a crate a little south of transporter 10. Here is a list of blueprint locations organized by which point in the story brings you closest to the chest.

As far as the Normal difficulty multiplayer, you have to complete chapter 19 to unlock them. I thought chapter 19 was the 15-minute base defense but I must have gotten them mixed up, the wiki says it's a single-player iris energy drill mission.

E: also you've been mentioning problems finding food. At this point you should probably have at least some potato and corn growing at your base. Meat can be had at just about any clear area. Even if there are no animal detected side missions, some of the clear areas have 3 or 4 different sets of animals in them. Just check dfferent ones until you find wolves or goats or asses or sheep or whatever. Scoop up gerbils and hedgehogs at transporter sites. Also keep an ear out for birds, they are all over the place.

The problem was that you lose access to your base stuff until after the weapon extraction mission, also o never found corn to create the farm

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

poptart_fairy posted:

So how long does cooked meat last before rotting? I can't figure out if it's raw meat or cooked meals giving me my kitchen waste.
I have yet to find cooked meat spoil. I still have soup from two weeks ago. I think the Preservative tag is on all prepared food.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

poptart_fairy posted:

Hmm not sure I want this tactical bow after all
Ten titanium and carbon fiber for each repair. :stonk:

This gets way cheaper once your get your base dev team up to reduce repair costs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

I have yet to find cooked meat spoil. I still have soup from two weeks ago. I think the Preservative tag is on all prepared food.

Kitchen Waste is absolutely from cooked food though, probably just from grilled meat. Stews probably maybe don’t spoil

Seal team 10
Mar 2, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
You need bottles to hold water. Not milk though

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Milk is pretty much the only food I've seen spoil, beware. I guess we can't just Rimworld ourselves up a fridge.

... Then again, given the stuff that happens in Rimworld, I don't think I want to go down that road in the Fox Engine.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Everything without the preservative tag rots if you give it enough time. Raw foods turn into a "spoiled thing". Cooked foods and spoiled foods rot into kitchen scraps. Different foods rot at different speeds. However, it isn't that (for example) raw meat rots in a day if you don't use it. Instead, each interval of time rots ONE item in the stack. Have one each of six different kinds of meat? They'll all rot away at once. Six pieces of one kind of meat? They'll rot away one a time.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I fell hard off this game once I reached Africa. Not being able to edit your base, followed by me getting killed from mortars, an enemy that I didn't even realise existed until I pretty much instantly died while losing about an hour of opening boxes feels like a game that doesn't value my time.

The Campaign feels so bad and archaic to me

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TheBlandName posted:

Everything without the preservative tag rots if you give it enough time. Raw foods turn into a "spoiled thing". Cooked foods and spoiled foods rot into kitchen scraps. Different foods rot at different speeds. However, it isn't that (for example) raw meat rots in a day if you don't use it. Instead, each interval of time rots ONE item in the stack. Have one each of six different kinds of meat? They'll all rot away at once. Six pieces of one kind of meat? They'll rot away one a time.
Milk spoils far faster than any other item. It seems to follow its own rules and instead of some fixed time between expiration, it almost cascades without constant drinking.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Nothing like chugging a goat-hot carton of milk on a steamy Afghan afternoon

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Calaveron posted:

Nothing like chugging a goat-hot carton of milk on a steamy Afghan afternoon
While doing marathons and heavy lifting each day.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gods I would have loved a more in depth survival-esque RPG thing about maintaining a balanced diet and not overextending

"Captain. You haven't been bulking up enough to make serious gains. Consider eating even with the Hunger Meter at maximum for better gains"

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
"Captain, it appears your caloric intake is far surpassing what you burn off in a day, consider skipping that sixth gerbil"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
This game would be raking in cash hand over fist if the devs added a battle royale mode but it's Konami.

• Locked thread