Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wonder if this is the first time a full slate of games in the sweet sixteen hasn't featured a 1 or 2 seed. I know the tournament overall isn't as upset-heavy as it has been in prior ones, but I can't think of one where there wasn't at least one 1 or 2 hanging on in an entire half of the bracket while everything else turned to chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

kayakyakr posted:

KSU's chances are predicated on the health of forward Dean Wade, who is coming back from a foot injury. If he can go for a large part of the game, they have a chance against Kentucky.

Yeah. Hopefully Dean Wade is healthy and can play well tonight. Barry Brown is also gonna have to be good. It would help if Xavier Sneed didn't miss a bunch of 3s as well (either by making 3s or just not shooting them). Would also own if some combo of the other players go off tonight, but this is hard to guess who will, if any.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

In the interview yesterday I got the strong impression Cal doesn't know or care who Dean Wade is. When asked about the importance of his health he just said it's all about focusing on how his team performs.

Not that he's wrong.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kiimo posted:

In the interview yesterday I got the strong impression Cal doesn't know or care who Dean Wade is. When asked about the importance of his health he just said it's all about focusing on how his team performs.

Not that he's wrong.

I'd lean toward the latter. The team's been pretty good about using game plans of "shut down this one person and have everyone else beat us if needed" in the past, when they thought it was the best approach. Could be some coach speak, too. (I haven't seen the interview, just pulling from history here.)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Sounds like Haas is going to try to go for Purdue tomorrow, having had their engineers develop an NCAA approved elbow brace. Big if he can play.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
After all 4 higher seeds win today, this is going to become a pretty depressing tournament.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

After all 4 higher seeds win today, this is going to become a pretty depressing tournament.

Nah, it's going to alternate.

All of the higher seeds will win today giving us Kentucky vs Nevada, Gonzaga vs Michigan, then all the lower seeds will win tomorrow giving us Clemson vs Cuse and Tech vs WVU.

Then it'll swap again and all the lower seeds will win on Saturday and all the higher seeds will win on Sunday giving us a final 4 of Nevada vs Gonzaga, and Clemson vs TTU.

Finally, the higher seeds will win out the tournament.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So you've got the higher low seeds winning today, following by the lower high seeds tomorrow, which leads to the lower high low seeds and the higher low high seeds winning in the Elite 8, resulting in a scenario where the higher low high low seeds are facing the higher high low high seeds in the Final Four, confirm?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Clemson's "big" is 6'9 230.

Udoka is going to eat him on live television.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/MatthewBain_/status/976906036048203776?s=19

Eventually poor Drake will be allowed to keep a good coach for more than one season

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

kiimo posted:

Clemson's "big" is 6'9 230.

Udoka is going to eat him on live television.

Just wait until Mark Donnal checks in off the bench and goes ham

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's gonna be ham.

I don't think people realize Udoka is an agile 7 foot 280 pound dude.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

kiimo posted:

He's gonna be ham.

I don't think people realize Udoka is an agile 7 foot 280 pound dude.

Maybe you don't understand that Mark Donnal has the strength of ten men and the desire to fight for a rebound of .25 or so

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Dammit, kiimo, you're jinxing us to hell and back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't believe in jinxes I believe in perimeter defense.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

I'd lean toward the latter. The team's been pretty good about using game plans of "shut down this one person and have everyone else beat us if needed" in the past, when they thought it was the best approach. Could be some coach speak, too. (I haven't seen the interview, just pulling from history here.)

I think Cal finally believes in this team and wants them to keep the confidence rolling.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tadashi posted:

I think Cal finally believes in this team and wants them to keep the confidence rolling.

too bad the bad Kentucky team showed up tonight rather than the good one

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

uncurable mlady posted:

too bad the bad Kentucky team showed up tonight rather than the good one

So who is coming back next year I have to think some of these guys stay.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

vikingstrike posted:

I think Knox is the only real deal on the team, I think he goes. Gabriel might go. Alexander and Washington stay, i think?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
So even in the face of the looming Duke championship we can all band together and laugh at Gonzaga, right?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

vikingstrike posted:

Shai and Knox are the only ones projected in any mock drafts at this point. Others may go anyway, or transfer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/joerexrode/status/977035347325579264?s=21

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
All of those teams will get crushed in the championship, but it's going to be a fun couple of days pretending like they have a chance before this season ends like all the other seasons.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

All of those teams will get crushed in the championship, but it's going to be a fun couple of days pretending like they have a chance before this season ends like all the other seasons.

you'll be eating those words when the other final four game is West Virginia/Clemson

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

k-state has their own cute old person to do battle against the loyola nun

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsVoice/status/977042274554019840

https://twitter.com/KStateMBB/status/977038580592857088

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Shai and Knox are the only ones projected in any mock drafts at this point. Others may go anyway, or transfer. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'd like to see some guys back on the team a year older and with a good shooter. They can rebound and play some d but they seem really immature on the court in terms of beating themselves.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Michigan looks really really good!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Adun posted:

Michigan looks really really good!

Yeah it looks like it'll be Michigan in the final. They're locked the gently caress in and Beilein is a legit coach.

Of course yesterday we were all saying Kentucky has an easy path to the final so :shrug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Or Michigan could look like complete rear end tomorrow and fire up a ton of bricks. If this tournament has hammered home any points about college basketball it’s that kids are inconsistent from game to game.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I don't think anyone left can beat Duke but I hate Duke so I'm going to pretend Syracuse is taking them out tonight

edit; I mean anyone on the Michigan side of the bracket, Villanova could definitely beat them, but also would then be unbeatable.

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Dare to dream, friend

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kansas can beat anyone if their shots are falling, they're loaded with upperclassmen guards and actually have a big who can bang with Bagley.

edit: oh I get it now

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
UConn brought in Dan Hurley from URI after getting rid of Kevin Ollie. They narrowly beat out Pitt, who barely even has a team of which to speak.

Love that the Huskies have sacrificed their National Championship program in order to preserve their sunk cost fallacy, otherwise known as UConn football, in The American.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
This is the only year I'm sort of rooting for Kansas, because out of the three powerhouses that have the best chances, at least their last championship came before Villanueve's and Duke's

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm super excited this year. KU is looking good. And I never would've expected to see KState in the Elite 8, I've got a lot of happy friends this year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/jamersaurus/status/977324126783361024?s=21

HARDAWAY

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

I am cautiously optimistic that we get back to the tournament next year. Going to be awesome.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eagerly awaiting the Pulp Fiction remake where Jules is played by Sister Jean and Brett is played by John Beilein

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

N: Duke hosed

V: gently caress Duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
N: gently caress Duke

V: gently caress Duke