Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Same, but Iron Man. I love that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, or Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Banzai Run could be super cool, but I just don’t know if it has a high enough replay factor...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Still no update on my TNA cab. Startin' to get a tad annoyed.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Same, but Iron Man. I love that game.

This is my second favorite fan game for sure.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh god, only one table? Simpsons Pinball Party. It's *really* hard to choose between that and Addams Family for me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zombie Squared posted:

If you could buy only one table, what would it be?

I know there are a lot of dudes who are rich enough to own multiple tables in this thread, but if you could have only one, what would it be?
One of:
Circus Voltaire
Star Trek: TNG
Twilight Zone
The Shadow
Lord of the Rings

I'd want something with decently deep rules and plenty of toys, and an attractive cabinet/backglass.

RS chat:

Personally I think putting regular chromed legs on Road Show significantly improves its exterior looks. The blue becomes a bit overpowering with blue legs as well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Finally got a chance to play the new Star Wars, not sure if its nostalgia or an inherent bias, but I like it. Played super fast and I liked that there were plenty of options for shots.

I'd probably pick that table to have right now to own.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'd also go with Cirqus Voltaire. It's got a great mix of quick-and-easy achievements and longer-term difficult achievements to get to the wizard mode, and each achievement requires unique objectives (unlike, say, Twilight Zone, where the achievements are playing modes, and while the modes themselves are different, the method of starting them is always the same), so building up to the wizard mode doesn't feel like a slog. The art is great, and the heavy use of purple-green-orange in its color palette, which are secondary to the traditional red-yellow-blue primary colors, gives it a slightly offsetting atmosphere, which is perfect for its hosed-up circus theme. The only thing I really don't like about it is the stupid kangaroo-hopping video mode.

I would have given it to Medieval Madness, but I've never played a physical table that didn't suffer from unavoidable straight-down-the-middle syndrome after a castle gate shot. That's just not acceptable for a shot that is so fundamental to the game's design and progression. The metal plate that leads into the castle gate really should have been one way, dumping the ball into the moat after a castle shot, and then to a kickout.

Wizard of Oz would probably also be high on my list, from the little bit I played of it. Seemed like a lot going on that could keep me entertained for a long time, but I didn't really get to know the ruleset very well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Simpsons Pinball Party owns bones, would probably be my pick out of the real-life tables I've played.

I need to try some more physical tables next time I'm somewhere with a good scene.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I would get Scared Stiff. That or Centaur.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

codenameFANGIO posted:

I would get Scared Stiff. That or Centaur.

Doesn't scared stiff get boring because its a bit simple? Although I love everything about it otherwise.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If I ever get the space (and can find them at a non-insane price here in Australia) I want a Rollergames for the song and the way it plays with its balls, a World Cup Soccer for the goal keeper gimmick, and a Firepower II solely because the sounds it makes are quintessentially "pinball" to me.

Hell yes there are better games with deeper rule-sets that would appeal over the longer term, but those 3 will always be on the list.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Doesn't scared stiff get boring because its a bit simple? Although I love everything about it otherwise.

It is definitely in the easier side but it’s got Elvira and bad sex jokes and the Stiff In The Coffin. It’s so dumb and fun and satisfying to play. I could play it forever. Also I won’t consider the table truly completed until I light up all the stuff on the spider dial (which I will never do)

my other choice Centaur is tough but fair and it is about a half-man, half-motorcycle and the theme feels like a particularly badass issue of Heavy Metal, down to the mostly black and white scheme with strategic bits of color. It’s so drat cool.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

speaking of cool euro 80’s sci-fi comic book pinball Embryon is one of the coolest loving tables i have ever seen in my life

https://youtu.be/pv07yvkEjuU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Zombie Squared posted:

If you could buy only one table, what would it be?

I know there are a lot of dudes who are rich enough to own multiple tables in this thread, but if you could have only one, what would it be?

Whoa Nellie, so that I could film it being office space'd.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Just took delivery of my Iron Maiden and it’s definitely in the running for my one game for home. I know it’s early to make that call but this is the most loaded pro I’ve ever seen and it shoots like a demon. If anybody is in northern indiana I’m throwing a launch party at the brewery it’s going to live at on May 11th.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, I definitely know what my dad would say if I asked him the question of what table he would want if he could only ever own one (disregarding the part where we only own a beat-up Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man because it was dirt cheap because we got a discount as a favor) - Scared Stiff. Man, he loves that table. He was bummed the hell out when we were at the Pinball Hall of Fame because it was currently turned off and didn't get repaired while we were there.

In my case, it's a tough question. I can either make a rational choice, or a sentimental one. The rational choice is Lord of the Rings or Simpsons Pinball Party, tending towards the former, because they have stupidly deep rulesheets with modes that you might not be able to reach in years of home play. The sentimental one? X-Files. I never even have watched the show, but for some reason, I absolutely love that table, and I'm the only person I know that even considers that game to be noteworthy in a positive way.

I actually spent the last time I went to the Pinball Hall of Fame playing the poo poo out of their X-Files in my hunt for Blood, the wizard mode. I actually ended up managing it and putting a high score on the board - at #3 on the board with about 20 million. I contend that the default high scores on X-Files are way, way too high, and would love to know if there is somebody out there that actually can score GC+ level scores on that game.

Sidenote: It really annoys me that the IPDB rulesheet for X-Files has a lot of wrong stuff. Like, either there is some other version of the ROM out there that acts differently, or it's just full of weird things that I have never seen (there is no skill shot in the game, for one, and the choice of the detective is actually crucial to which multiball you want to focus on, as it gives you bonuses that make the multiballs easier to reach, which isn't mentioned at all). But what *really* annoys me is that I know drat well I've written a more accurate rulesheet for X-Files, but now I can't track it down anymore. I think I might have to recreate it at some point.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Just got to play Iron Maiden this afternoon for the first time. A bowling alley near me literally unboxed theirs two days ago. It's an incredibly fun and intuitive table. Definitely worthy of all the hype and easily my favorite of the new Sterns. it blows Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, and Kiss out of the water in my opinion. Metallica is pretty good, but Iron Maiden is my new instant favorite

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Discendo Vox posted:

Whoa Nellie, so that I could film it being office space'd.

I am unclear on what you have against

Whoa Nellie: Big Juicy Melons

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Deviant posted:

I am unclear on what you have against

Whoa Nellie: Big Juicy Melons

Maybe he just wants to be the next Gallagher?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In a related question: my wife FINALLY gave me the thumbs up to shop for a table. My budget is probably up to 5-6 grand, or possibly more if I can make a compelling argument why (like, for instance, this table is an investment).

My position thus far is basically "it won't drop in value, so it is basically having a couple grand in savings sitting in the basement in the form of pinball table rather than rotting in our savings account". I now need to find a table that will make this assertion somewhat close to true.

So, what in yalls educated opinions is the best dollar-for-entertainment value table, on a table that will hold its value for as long as I own it? My personal favorites are basically the standards: MM, Cirqus Voltaire, WOZ, TZ, GOT, Simpsons PP, Monster Bash, and so on. These of course are also all of the most expensive tables, especially older ones that have been refurbished. I'd also like to not buy retail to avoid taxes. I'm open to just about anything.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I can’t recommend buying any table as an investment. Anything that is fun and climbs above $6500 is a candidate for a remake. Maybe $2k you can sort of make an argument for without it being an outright lie.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bewbies posted:

In a related question: my wife FINALLY gave me the thumbs up to shop for a table. My budget is probably up to 5-6 grand, or possibly more if I can make a compelling argument why (like, for instance, this table is an investment).

My position thus far is basically "it won't drop in value, so it is basically having a couple grand in savings sitting in the basement in the form of pinball table rather than rotting in our savings account". I now need to find a table that will make this assertion somewhat close to true.

So, what in yalls educated opinions is the best dollar-for-entertainment value table, on a table that will hold its value for as long as I own it? My personal favorites are basically the standards: MM, Cirqus Voltaire, WOZ, TZ, GOT, Simpsons PP, Monster Bash, and so on. These of course are also all of the most expensive tables, especially older ones that have been refurbished. I'd also like to not buy retail to avoid taxes. I'm open to just about anything.

As far as not losing value - it's kinda sorta true, but 100% only if you're buying used. Which isn't that bad a thing at all. No surprises with lovely build quality etc. If you're buying new in box it's pretty much the classic driving a new car off the lot scenario.

I'd also anecdotally say it's probably more true for lower end DMD games. The Demolition Man and Johnny Mnemonics of the world. Frankly, those are also two of the best fun for your dollar tables in my book. The themes themselves are just stupid as poo poo. Depends how well you're able to look past that.

Would stay away from Monster Bash for now. It's definitely on the remake docket. It's not like AFM and MM originals became free when the remakes came out, but if you're concerned about holding value it could be an issue.

Of the ones on your list - I'd have a hard time picturing WOZ losing it's value in part due to fewer of them being made. And having been out for a while you might find a decent enough deal on one. More anecdotal "evidence" but I was able to sell my TSPP for $500 more than my wife paid for it roughly three years down the road. Of course a chunk of that just paid for the things I did to it, but there was still a couple hundred in sweet sweet pinball profit there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Lord of the Rings is probably not in the remake queue, due to licensing stuff.
Spiderman got past that by retheming from Sam Raimi Spiderman to comic book Spider Man, but I don't really see that happening for Lord of the Rings.

I'm of the opinion that if you get it at the right price, you'll never regret the purchase.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
There's going to be an Iron Maiden table at my league place tonight. I probably won't pick it but I don't know what my three teammates' plans are going to be. The arcade owner posted the rule set so everyone could brush up on the new table, and I thought I'd share it here in case any one is going to a release party or just wants to live vicariously through an instruction manual.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/iron-maiden/pro/IM%20Backstage%20Pass%20Rules.pdf

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

cosmicjim posted:

I can’t recommend buying any table as an investment. Anything that is fun and climbs above $6500 is a candidate for a remake. Maybe $2k you can sort of make an argument for without it being an outright lie.

Yeah I meant that..facetiously, I'm not actually expecting to make money on this enterprise but that doesn't mean I can't convince my wife we might.

I'm looking hard at some less-prominent early DMD games...I'm pretty indifferent to theme, but I do want something vaguely similar to a modern stern table just for practice sake.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The danger of all modern tables, is these companies could remake any of them at any given moment. Modern sterns will also start eventually flooding the market when these pinball bars close down or existing businesses run out of room and start selling off the older ones. As soon as used one starts costing as much as a new stern, stern will remake it. WoZ is not off the table, either. Who would have thought MM, AFM, and MB would have gotten remakes less than ten years ago?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
WOZ might actually be my #1 choice, except that it seems to have a LOT of maintenance issues and I'm definitely not comfortable dealing with fancier electronical poo poo like that.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone near Kalamazoo should come check out pinball at the zoo this weekend. I’ll have a few games there.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Anyone near Kalamazoo should come check out pinball at the zoo this weekend. I’ll have a few games there.

I will be there on Saturday.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My suggestion is to go with a modern Stern if you like any of their tables. Not much maintenance involved and they'll retain a good chunk of their value as long as you take care of it.

Issue with a table like TZ is that you'll spend half the time working on it. Take it from someone who has one. Something needs tweaking every loving week on it. You're dealing with 30 year old boards and a machine that has been hacked together in a bowling alley where you'll never know what you'll find.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Speaking of which - this came up on facebook the other day.

If you do have a Twilight Zone - keep it the Hell away from this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQykpfU21k

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tony Phillips posted:

Speaking of which - this came up on facebook the other day.

If you do have a Twilight Zone - keep it the Hell away from this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQykpfU21k

He has a few genuinely cool things in there, like the Mystic Seer, eyeballs and The Power pyramid, but everything else either looks really cheap or just doesn't loving belong. Like why The Doors and Robbie the Robot?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

don't touch the-...

I've seen some "decked out" pins that look like toy cabinets. Stop gluing poo poo in there, and knock it off with the purple LEDs!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The gumballs are the only good add-on I see people use on that machine.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I liked the robot, but I'm a tacky person.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

cosmicjim posted:

I liked the robot, but I'm a tacky person.
It's from my favorite TZ episode but he should've somehow made it bark out these various insults and constantly demand hot chocolate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eYGgjG1foI

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The best TZ mod is a black and white DMD. I put one in my Creature and it’s 1000000x better than a color DMD.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

The best TZ mod is a black and white DMD. I put one in my Creature and it’s 1000000x better than a color DMD.

In searching for what a black and white DMD would look like, I came across this project to convert the entire Twilight Zone table to black and white!

https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/single-post/2018/01/03/Update-to-Our-Black-and-White-Twilight-Zone-Pinball-Machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Doggles posted:

In searching for what a black and white DMD would look like, I came across this project to convert the entire Twilight Zone table to black and white!

https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/single-post/2018/01/03/Update-to-Our-Black-and-White-Twilight-Zone-Pinball-Machine

That project sat for a long rear end time but like that page says - they started back up on it in January.

Their Pinside thread about it gets updated as they go.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-and-white-tz-coming-soon