Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

terre packet posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Glad I could help! Let me know if you ever want me to look over your parts :)

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone have experience with "Mikes Lessons?" I took up drumming a few months back, and I really like his free stuff on youtube, but not sure if his lessons are worth $30/mo.

I'll be taking in person lessons in 6 months when the field season at work is over, but until then I want something more than my copy of stick control.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

App13 posted:

Anyone have experience with "Mikes Lessons?" I took up drumming a few months back, and I really like his free stuff on youtube, but not sure if his lessons are worth $30/mo.

I'll be taking in person lessons in 6 months when the field season at work is over, but until then I want something more than my copy of stick control.

It's preference, but I recommend Stephen's Drum Shed; he's been more consistent over time (which is prolly cuz he took ten months off of gigging to focus on his teaching/website)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

I’m a new drummer and have started playing with a band that is getting ready for our first show. We have a set list that we’ve practiced enough to where I pretty much remember what I do on the drums for every song. I’d like to improve on this and learn drum notation so I can write down the beats and song structure and stop relying entirely on memory. Is there a book that can show me how to do that?

Every once in a while I'll forget how I'm 'supposed' to notate a certain thing (cross stick VS rimshot, etc) and have ended up referring to this PDF a lot. It seems to have an example of just about everything and seems pretty accurate from what I can tell:
http://web.mit.edu/merolish/Public/drums.pdf

Kryopsis posted:

As I wrote before in the thread, I'm a beginner drummer.

I've been trying to learn how to play 'London Calling' and while I can currently play the four different grooves as well as transition between them, I'm having trouble figuring out the number of measures for each.
Halp!

I look at Rock Band videos to transcribe drum charts all the time, they're usually close enough to at least get a good foundation before trying to figure out where all the ghosts and ruffs and stuff are. You could look through this vid to at least see where the patterns change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdL4N8STtsc

I could probably bang out some sheet music based on this in a few hours if you still need it (excessive segno'ing is a pet peeve of mine).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm toying with the idea of getting a new acoustic kit. Since I'm no longer 20 years old, I have no desire to have 457 toms and cymbals. I really like the single rack tom, two floor tom config but it seems that most 5 piece kits are still using two rack toms.

Is there a name to the two floor tom configuration that I could search for or do you usually need a custom kit for that?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I'd call that 1 up 2 down. Though not sure how common that is.

Edit - do you actually want bigger sizes of floor toms? If not you could buy a 2 up kit and a tom mount stand and just move the larger rack tom to the right.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 29, 2018

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Something like this actually

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS525WFC-BM

I just find that with lower sounding toms work better when playing blues or rock.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

That kit would probably be the way to go, usually you have to get a 4 piece and add another floor tom or get a 6 piece and take off a rack.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

That'll do, but if you really want the lower sounding toms, find 16 and 18 inch floors vs the 14 and 16.

There's nothing wrong with NOT having an 18inch floor Tom, however I prefer using bigger drums and tuning them up "higher" to get the full sound, vs using "smaller" drums and tuning them lower. There's so many different ways, and preferred sounds.

16 and 18 floors with a 24" bass is what I do. Die cast hoops that I put on a cheap Mapex Pro M. Boomy with a lot of attack.

But the sizes of your above link are perfectly versatile and fine. I prefer to use bigger drums and tune them at the higher end of their "sweet spot" so it's still a huge sound, but not "dead" from the toms being tuned too low.

e: To get an 18 that usually means being a shell pack with like a 13 and 16, and then find an 18 somewhere.

Also for content here's Dave Lombardo making them all look stupid. Combining perfect technical precision with total punk energy. Pretty drat unique, especially considering his age. Healthy, smart motherfucker. This is a drum video for those who don't like metal too! :)

https://youtu.be/3ivOfkqFmxg

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 30, 2018

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

I finally got my e-kit hooked up to a computer. I'm pretty stoked to not be practicing to the stock Yamaha sounds anymore. As a side note, the Intel NUC is basically perfect to mount to an e-kit, and it's cheaper than the Mimic, and then you can just run whatever DAW/VST you like.

I asked in the VST thread but I'll ask here too. Do any of you have preferred VSTs for drum sounds? What about saturation/distortion? I have no idea how to process/mix drums.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

blorpy posted:

I finally got my e-kit hooked up to a computer. I'm pretty stoked to not be practicing to the stock Yamaha sounds anymore. As a side note, the Intel NUC is basically perfect to mount to an e-kit, and it's cheaper than the Mimic, and then you can just run whatever DAW/VST you like.

I asked in the VST thread but I'll ask here too. Do any of you have preferred VSTs for drum sounds? What about saturation/distortion? I have no idea how to process/mix drums.

Holy poo poo I didn't know that was possible. The mimic is like, 5k and I had been looking into it. Do you mind telling me details about the setup or link to the thread?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know that was possible. The mimic is like, 5k and I had been looking into it. Do you mind telling me details about the setup or link to the thread?

I haven't posted about the setup but I'm happy to talk about it.

You still need some kind of brain to generate MIDI events from. I'm upgrading from the Yamaha 9xx series brain so I just use that.

The Intel NUC has everything except RAM and SSD. You can put together a working 7th gen NUC for $600-$800 right now depending on how much RAM and storage you want. I went with 16GB and 500GB just to be safe. The NUC is tiny, you can velcro it to the bottom of the drum brain or get creative with other mounting ideas.

You could run this mostly headless if you wanted but I decided it's helpful to have a screen. Gechic makes portable displays, some with a touchscreen. This is another $300-$400. I ended up going with a 15" touchscreen. It's kind of like having an iPad connected to the computer. I keep mine on the music stand near the kit. I also bought a wireless keyboard + trackpad. You'll most likely want to add an external USB soundcard. I'm not sure if you can do ASIO on the NUC's built in sound system.

Once you have all that, the kit is just a regular MIDI device. You can get a free VST host and then run one of the drum sound VSTs. You can get Steven Slate Drums if you want to be just like the Mimic. Otherwise it looks like there's Superior Drummer, EZDrummer, BFD, Addictive Drums and I'm sure others to choose from.

It looks like the Mimic Pro is only $2200 so this isn't that much cheaper, especially if you also need to buy an ekit brain. But it's also a lot more expandable since you can install other VSTs. I'm sure the dedicated display/interface on the Mimic is nicer to use but if you add a touchscreen to the NUC it shouldn't be too much worse.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have the redBox now, which is ok but I've outgrown it. My only concern with the Mimic is that if it fails, there won't be anymore updates or even if its successful there will just be a newer model released every few years. I like the idea of the NUC better because I can get more storage and upgrade the some of the hardware without buying a whole new unit.

I've tried connecting to the brain to my Macbook but its cumbersome. I'm guess you've just installed Windows 10 on the NUC?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

fartzone_42069 posted:

There's nothing wrong with NOT having an 18inch floor Tom, however I prefer using bigger drums and tuning them up "higher" to get the full sound, vs using "smaller" drums and tuning them lower. There's so many different ways, and preferred sounds.

I'm looking to do something like this, as I also prefer lower sounds in general. I'm still playing on a Tama Imperialstar I got a few years ago and it's got 10", 12" toms 14" floor, with a 20" bass. At least I'd like to move the 12" over one, get a 14" tom and add a 16" floor. I just play as a hobby so I'm cool with finding cheap used shells and just working with the heads/tuning to get them sounding decent. Is there a better place to find used instruments like that besides trawling Craigslist / garage sales?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Not sure if this is the right place, but I have been frequenting pawn shops lately looking for random music gear and recently got the idea that I would like to add hand drums of some sort to my studio. Sometimes I get percussion patterns in my head and would like to hand drum them out to use in a track or just as a starting point. I obviously don't need anything special, but also don't really know what I am looking for. I have always loved the sound of hand drums whether it be bongos or a tabla and definitely want to keep expanding my collection of instruments so would appreciate any thoughts or advice when browsing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

MrSargent posted:

Not sure if this is the right place, but I have been frequenting pawn shops lately looking for random music gear and recently got the idea that I would like to add hand drums of some sort to my studio. Sometimes I get percussion patterns in my head and would like to hand drum them out to use in a track or just as a starting point. I obviously don't need anything special, but also don't really know what I am looking for. I have always loved the sound of hand drums whether it be bongos or a tabla and definitely want to keep expanding my collection of instruments so would appreciate any thoughts or advice when browsing.

The most common hand drum I see used for beginners is the djembe. You can get bass notes, tone notes (mid-range drum sound) or slaps (high pitched slapping sound) depending on how and where you hit the drum, so it's good for working out (crunchy, earthy sounding) drum beats.

To that point, you can also do the same sort of thing with congas. These are usually performed using a group of two or even three differently pitched congas, but you could also play one and get those same three tones out of it.

Bongos would probably be sort of tough to use as a beginner; the People's Court and Jump On It parts people recognize actually require a bit more know-how and technique to sound good as opposed to a djembe or conga. Same goes for tabla - I've never had a chance to mess around with it but I hear it's kind of tough to get good with.

You may also want to look into a doumbek (like a tiny djembe) or even a cajon. If you're not familiar, it's a box that you sit on rigged up with snares, so you can palm the front center of it for a bass sound or tap the top front for a snare sound. Then you can start to get crazy by adding in heel knocks with your feet on the sides and poo poo like that.

Hope that helps!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

timp posted:

The most common hand drum I see used for beginners is the djembe. You can get bass notes, tone notes (mid-range drum sound) or slaps (high pitched slapping sound) depending on how and where you hit the drum, so it's good for working out (crunchy, earthy sounding) drum beats.

To that point, you can also do the same sort of thing with congas. These are usually performed using a group of two or even three differently pitched congas, but you could also play one and get those same three tones out of it.

Bongos would probably be sort of tough to use as a beginner; the People's Court and Jump On It parts people recognize actually require a bit more know-how and technique to sound good as opposed to a djembe or conga. Same goes for tabla - I've never had a chance to mess around with it but I hear it's kind of tough to get good with.

You may also want to look into a doumbek (like a tiny djembe) or even a cajon. If you're not familiar, it's a box that you sit on rigged up with snares, so you can palm the front center of it for a bass sound or tap the top front for a snare sound. Then you can start to get crazy by adding in heel knocks with your feet on the sides and poo poo like that.

Hope that helps!

This absolutely helps and thanks so much for taking the time to share all of that information. It sounds like the djembe is exactly what I am looking for in terms of a beginning percussion instrument with a good tonal range. I have seen cajons before and they are really interesting but might be something I look at later.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

[quote="Takes No Damage" Is there a better place to find used instruments like that besides trawling Craigslist / garage sales?
[/quote]

Not really. Basically you profit from people having a mid life crisis and buying guitars and drums and stuff and then barely touch them. That's where you get a deal.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Also. Am I a genius? Lol. I just thought of.this because I need a bigger pad that can handle two bass drum beaters. But I bought this is a portable jam-with-friends elec set so whatever.

Here. 20 second video.

https://youtu.be/QbQbV2Qcv6Q

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 18, 2018

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

Hope that helps!

Just saw this video today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

fartzone_42069 posted:

Also. Am I a genius? Lol.

Not until you can do it with a consistent rhythm :smuggo:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Just got myself a starter bodhrán, would anyone happen to have a good beginner's learning resource?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

♫ I've got it bad got it bad got it baaaaaaaaaaaad... i'm hot fo' teacher... ♫

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

♫ I've got it bad got it bad got it baaaaaaaaaaaad... i'm hot fo' teacher... ♫

Cocaine is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwhQs0Dozk

a HELL of a drug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbanpC_K62M
:catdrugs:
(the ride cymbal diddles make me angry that I can't do them as fast)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

wtf
Maybe I was too stoned to see it back then but does he have four bass drums tied together?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bonzo posted:

wtf
Maybe I was too stoned to see it back then but does he have four bass drums tied together?

dude that's not even close to as weird as he got with his kicks

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?273453-A-Study-of-Alex-Van-Halen-s-Bass-Drums

^^^ go look at the pictures in there

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*regular brain* blanket forts

*exploding brain* pillow forts

*galaxy brain* bass drum forts

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's time to play 'Alex Van Halen OR several idling Harley-Davidsons?'!!!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BAD: Drum tech for Neil Peart
WORSE: Drum tech for Terry Bozzio
WORST: Drum tech for Alex Van Halen

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

It's time to play 'Alex Van Halen OR several idling Harley-Davidsons?'!!!

To be entirely fair, isn't the Hot for Teacher intro meant to sound like an idling motor?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's a con-dom album with several tracks that just sound like he left his car running, if u want car idling music

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Bonzo posted:

If you're still thinking about doing this, Superior Drummer turns out to be pretty great. It comes with quite a lot of drum sounds and you can apply a bunch of effects (compression/EQ/distortion etc) inside SD. It's also at least somewhat designed with e-kits in mind.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blorpy posted:

If you're still thinking about doing this, Superior Drummer turns out to be pretty great. It comes with quite a lot of drum sounds and you can apply a bunch of effects (compression/EQ/distortion etc) inside SD. It's also at least somewhat designed with e-kits in mind.

How's latency with the Nuc setup? I've tried my TD-9 through a computer into EZDrummer but it didn't feel as snappy as I'd like.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Gym Leader Barack posted:

How's latency with the Nuc setup? I've tried my TD-9 through a computer into EZDrummer but it didn't feel as snappy as I'd like.

Still trying to decide how I feel about that. I am using ASIO4ALL with a relatively small buffer, which helps. It seems like there's less latency if SD is hosted by a DAW of some sort, rather than standalone, but I'm not sure. I think it's just enough latency that you start wondering "wait, was that latency?" but only once in a while. Seems mostly just a little distracting.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

That having been said, I've also thought about how I would mic up my setup so that I could capture the physical stick on e-kit and the SD sounds, so that I could do latency measurements between Yamaha brain and SD. So it obviously bothers me at least a little :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I'm just now getting around to watching this and it loving owns, thanks for sharing. Honestly I assumed it would just be some guy who's good at the cajon so I put it off, but this is actually right up my alley and is very much my poo poo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every once in a while I fall down a Youtube rabbit hole of suggested music videos. Sometimes it's 80s, sometimes 90s, Motown, metal, whatever. Today was grindcore :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3pSBOkHsE

I seem to top out around 160bpm for what I can even attempt to play consistently so watching 30 minutes of this is :stare: Those loving ride diddles man. Also what the hell kind of cymbal is that in the foreground? I don't know what I would ever do with one but I kind of want one now...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Also what the hell kind of cymbal is that in the foreground? I don't know what I would ever do with one but I kind of want one now...

A 17 or 19" Sabian Holy China

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's a good resource for learning heel-up bass technique? I'm practicing a song that has some 32nd note bass doubles that I can't actually double bass for because there's also hi-hat involved, and the day after being in the studio I'm noticing some slight knee pain. So my goal is to reduce the stress I'm putting on my leg while working up speed for quick double hits, which as I understand it is heel-up's thing. Right now I play heel down and just kind of thunk my whole leg down on the pedal, which is probably not ideal at any speed. It's Buckcherry's Rescue Me, for the morbidly curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

What's a good resource for learning heel-up bass technique? I'm practicing a song that has some 32nd note bass doubles that I can't actually double bass for because there's also hi-hat involved, and the day after being in the studio I'm noticing some slight knee pain. So my goal is to reduce the stress I'm putting on my leg while working up speed for quick double hits, which as I understand it is heel-up's thing. Right now I play heel down and just kind of thunk my whole leg down on the pedal, which is probably not ideal at any speed. It's Buckcherry's Rescue Me, for the morbidly curious.

I'm sitting here trying to explain it, but it's really something that's so much easier to demonstrate in person. I've never played heel-down. And you're exactly right, that leg thunking is what's causing the knee pain. Most likely you need to set your throne a bit higher. And then set the tension tighter on your pedal. It's impossible to play fast if the pedal's spring isn't set tight enough so the pedal can snap back into striking position again for each hit. Put your heel up high and just start striking hard quarter notes, with your foot right in the center of the pedal. Adjust your throne height as you go. Eventually you'll find a position where you're not lifting your leg so much and using all thigh muscle. Basically, you'll find a sweet spot where the workload is equally spread between all your leg muscles. Also you'll probably want to try moving the throne back and forth as you do that too. Another thing besides the pedal tension is the adjustment where the footboard sits at a steeper angle. I do that. You hit and kinda barely let off the pedal as it bounces back and then you hit again. At first it may feel like you're just hovering your leg in the air. It take a lot of fine tuning to get the pedal and throne in order, and then it just may be awkward at first. DEFINITELY do good leg-stretches before hand. But, what you're doing already is lifting your whole leg, thunking it back down, so kinda wasting energy.

A lot of adjustments may be needed, but you're hurting yourself by playing heel-down. You'll be happy about it in the end! :)

I looked through some videos. This is the only one I could find that has a good view of the feets. It's an extreme example of what I'm talking about. The throne is too high. And so was I. Really bad drumming. Mentally woof. Leaning forward like that is a no-go! Embarrassing! Sad! But it does show what I'm doing with my feet. My right calf muscle could rival Arnold's lol. I'm more about hitting the bass drum really hard rather than really fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUtpwCFG2M

As far as an actual resource. I'm not sure. Just gotta practice that! :)

e: This thread is way too slow!! Where are the drummers? Here's a video to save face that shows I actually kinda know how to play the drums! See how my thigh is basically parallel to the floor here? That's my preferred height. Dunno why I was sitting so high in the other video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Vlw8kcnzs

e2: Also recording video of yourself drumming is crucial. You can't truly "hear" and see what you're doing as you're playing. A video will show if you're doing any funny business (like my leaning forward). There's so many things to look for, from your drum-faces, to how your arms/wrists are positioned to avoid injury, posture, etc... Such a great review. Sometimes you get to play drums and there happens to be a mirror around but then you're looking in the mirror all stupid like. So anyway. Record yourself and take notes!

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 26, 2018