Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Laslow posted:

Jot this little nugget down, wall street: It's obviously Itanium 3.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.

A huge percentage of corporate server farms are busy running .Net or Java stuff at this point.

If Qualcomm is banking on people rewriting or developing middleware to allow generic software to run on ARM chips, why not a new ISA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Xae posted:

A huge percentage of corporate server farms are busy running .Net or Java stuff at this point.

If Qualcomm is banking on people rewriting or developing middleware to allow generic software to run on ARM chips, why not a new ISA?

If you were to design an architecture to be unsuitable for most business workloads you would have to try very hard to be worse than Itanium is.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

movax posted:

but I’m wondering what the next IP core to get laid down is

If it were up to me, fpga. Or, if that seems to complex for the benefit, several general-purpose compression/decompression cores. Like hardware zlib.

A big part of the reason game load times aren't better between SATA and NVMe is because they're CPU-bound, and a big reason they're CPU-bound seems to be decompression.

For decompression, 8-core CPUs can handle only like 600 MB/s of compressed data, while a hardware core should be able to handle the full 7 GB/s of a PCIe 4 NVMe SSD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Decompression is the least of an issue. I'd be surprised, if games use bog-standard compression algorithms these days. Audio and video is compressed with adequate codecs, gamedata is in god knows what shape. Latter usually has to be processed during load, that's what's limiting load times.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Decompression is the least of an issue. I'd be surprised, if games use bog-standard compression algorithms these days. Audio and video is compressed with adequate codecs, gamedata is in god knows what shape. Latter usually has to be processed during load, that's what's limiting load times.

When I was figuring that bit out, I took a look at Skyrim. The file format they use generally consists of mostly zlib compressed data. Audio doesn't usually need up front decompression, so that's not relevant to load times, and textures were usually S3 compressed images that were then also zlib compressed in the pack file. (S3 and friends are designed to be stream-decompresed inside the gpu, so they're not actually very good compression overall and zlib can improve upon them for storage on disk.)

Glancing around, this seems to be commonplace in modern games: more modern BC7 texture compression, then further compressed with standard zlib on disk.

Taking decompression load off CPU would be a big help. With many existing games, you're right that there'd still be a lot of other processing going on, but that's something that's subject to optimization if the developers want to.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

movax posted:

That was an interesting (and honestly entertaining) derail to read waiting in line for the Victoria Peak tram but let’s say it’s run its course and cherish these page numbers forever.

Topic chat: after writing off say 10% of chip area for test/debug stuff, what percentage is actually still OG x86 stuff now that we’ve got area eaten for video decode/encode and other functions? Have we lost die area to ISPs yet? With all the SIMD extensions getting a dedicated DSP a la Hexagon is not likely but I’m wondering what the next IP core to get laid down is. Video will continue forever, mobile style ISP I doubt unless there’s a serious push to get into mobile (lol), audio isn’t that demanding and it’s on the PCH, PCIe RC is a first-class citizen in CPU land...

well, they'll likely dump some "ai core" -- read: fancy DSP -- and if they are smart they'll combine the uncore junk into one nice semi-programmable image/video/ai processor

i actually think a proper hexagon style DSP is more likely esp after EMIB becomes mainstream and keller does his magic with SOC and fabric

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

crazypenguin posted:

When I was figuring that bit out, I took a look at Skyrim. The file format they use generally consists of mostly zlib compressed data. Audio doesn't usually need up front decompression, so that's not relevant to load times, and textures were usually S3 compressed images that were then also zlib compressed in the pack file. (S3 and friends are designed to be stream-decompresed inside the gpu, so they're not actually very good compression overall and zlib can improve upon them for storage on disk.)

Glancing around, this seems to be commonplace in modern games: more modern BC7 texture compression, then further compressed with standard zlib on disk.

Taking decompression load off CPU would be a big help. With many existing games, you're right that there'd still be a lot of other processing going on, but that's something that's subject to optimization if the developers want to.

zlib is fundamentally not optimized for either speed or compression ratio but for ease of programming. for speed you can hit ram speed with something like LZ4 or zstd, or have a much better ratio with LZMA

there's an entire company (basis) built around fast and not lovely compression b/c it matters for mobile games

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

zlib is fundamentally not optimized for either speed or compression ratio but for ease of programming. for speed you can hit ram speed with something like LZ4 or zstd

The first part is true, there's worthwhile stuff that's more than 4 times faster than zlib. But I'm really quite sure it's not near ram speed, not at all.

Looking at the Xeon on https://quixdb.github.io/squash-benchmark and digging around it looks like you can get 4 GB/s out of 25 GB/s of theoretical memory bandwidth (and I'd guess about 20 GB/s of practical) with a fast LZ4 algorithm on all 4 cores. (Don't put too much stock in the 'copy' numbers on that page, I don't think they have really tried to make that actually efficient, it's just a point of comparison.)

Anyway, I picked zlib mostly because (a) I know there are games that use it and (b) I know fpga cores exist that can eat it at GB/s, so it can definitely be accelerated in hardware.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As was leaked earlier in that document that showed the new X399 compatibility, the bizarro Kaby Lake X CPUs (7640X and 7740X) are officially end of life.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12701/intel-announces-eol-plan-for-kaby-lakex-processors

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cygni posted:

As was leaked earlier in that document that showed the new X399 compatibility, the bizarro Kaby Lake X CPUs (7640X and 7740X) are officially end of life.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12701/intel-announces-eol-plan-for-kaby-lakex-processors

They never had a chance. Poor little ones.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Z390 + 8 core Coffee Lake Refresh (Whiskey Lake?) in Q3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12711/german-it-distributor-publishes-amd-intel-roadmaps-z490-z390-8core-cfl-in-q4

e: actually looking at the super light, hard to see chart, it looks like Z390 in Q3 and 8 Core in Q4.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 3, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Nice! I was waiting for an 8 core to upgrade from my 4770.

eames
May 9, 2009

14nm++++++++ launching in Q4 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looking forward to non-soldered 8-core Intels that go critical and burn a hole through your motherboard the moment you touch the multiplier.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.techspot.com/news/74447-eight-new-spectre-variants-affecting-intel-chips-discovered.html

More and more spectre variants.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

repiv posted:

Looking forward to non-soldered 8-core Intels that go critical and burn a hole through your motherboard the moment you touch the multiplier.

Yeah, I'm already resigning myself to actually delidding this one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

Z390 + 8 core Coffee Lake Refresh (Whiskey Lake?) in Q3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12711/german-it-distributor-publishes-amd-intel-roadmaps-z490-z390-8core-cfl-in-q4

e: actually looking at the super light, hard to see chart, it looks like Z390 in Q3 and 8 Core in Q4.
Do we still think AMD are saving 2800X for this?

An AMD 490 might explain why we only got the Hero tier of ASUS's Crosshair motherboards and not anything higher.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

it's like they could use a excellent thermally conductive bonding material for this

but it'd reduce profit per unit by $1.23 so they won't

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's like they could use a excellent thermally conductive bonding material for this
To be completely fair, soldering the spreader to the die is somewhat complex and AMD has a bunch of cool patents for it.

Intel is also able to cut a lot more corners by not soldering than just the TIM. You really see it in some of their 14nm processors.

The TIM is also more reliable than solder in theory, but in reality we see almost no reports of damage to soldered IHS besides in the LN2 community which is super niche.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 3, 2018

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Is there any technical reason for them to not use liquid metal like every other delid-relid overclockers have been doing?

Possible LM flowing to the wrong place? or is it not that good of a long term solution?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Gamers Nexus had a video on that topic which amounted to "if they were going to go that far, they may as well solder". I think part of the issue is liquid metal could be shaken free of where it's supposed to be during transit.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xae posted:

As mentioned Itanium is a turd that depended on magical compilers that were never going to exist.

Also, AArch64 effectively is a new ISA. It's quite different from classic 32 bit ARM for performance reasons (no predication, no integrated barrel shifter). What do you propose having in a new ISA that's better? Even if you don't want to pay ARM royalties, there's RISC-V already.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So no HEDT refresh in 2018? There were rumors of soldered Skylake-X a while ago.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

feedmegin posted:

As mentioned Itanium is a turd that depended on magical compilers that were never going to exist.

Also, AArch64 effectively is a new ISA. It's quite different from classic 32 bit ARM for performance reasons (no predication, no integrated barrel shifter). What do you propose having in a new ISA that's better? Even if you don't want to pay ARM royalties, there's RISC-V already.

bring back i860

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can't wait to see someone try and get that 8 core working on some rando z170 and the subsequent building fire

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Elon Musk confirmed that Jim Keller was going to work on a server architecture.

quote:

Romit Jitendra Shah - Nomura Instinet

Okay. Okay. As a follow-up, could you just comment on Jim Keller's departure? A highly respected chip architect. What does it say, if anything, about the development of Tesla's custom silicon and autopilot? Thank you.

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Well, Jim's a great guy, and there's sort of a career he wanted to pursue for a long time which is to kind of redesign how server architecture works. Something that I find a little bit interesting, but it's something that Jim – it's been a sort of personal dream that Jim's to do and that's why he went to Intel.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4169027-tesla-tsla-q1-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

mewse
May 2, 2006

A radical new server architecture could be wicked cool but being intel it will be infinifabric something-or-other with slightly faster x86

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

iAPX 432 rides again

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

iAPX 432 rides again

Don't stop, I'm almost there! :flashfap:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mewse posted:

A radical new server architecture could be wicked cool but being intel it will be infinifabric something-or-other with slightly faster x86

Keller wants in on those Optane DIMMs

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

HP The Machine only not a Meg Whitman boondoggle

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
As long as the Pentium 4's horrifyingly awful netburst architecture never returns from the black pit of hell, then we good Intel.

Netbust was fuckin' stupid.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Vanagoon posted:

As long as the Pentium 4's horrifyingly awful netburst architecture never returns from the black pit of hell, then we good Intel.

Netbust was fuckin' stupid.

maybe with emib and 10nm it will be good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

coke posted:

Is there any technical reason for them to not use liquid metal like every other delid-relid overclockers have been doing?

Possible LM flowing to the wrong place? or is it not that good of a long term solution?

Many reasons:
1. One gram of Conductonaut costs ~$16 retail. Intel would need *tons* of the poo poo.
2. Tons of liquid metal needs to be stored. No matter where you're assembling the chips, the local overseeing authorities are going to want to know that stew of heavy metals (Conductonaut evidently uses a mix of tin, gallium, and indium) is well-stored.
3. Gallium and indium are heavy metals. You could have the best safety and anti-exposure protocols in place, you're still going to be exposing workers to potential harm from long-term exposure.
4. When the end-user puts liquid metal TIM on their CPU, the CPU stays stationary and the end-user takes their time. When a factory worker is putting LM TIM on a CPU, they have quotas to reach, and said CPUs are then tossed around in handling and shipping.

Honestly, what Intel *needs* to do is expand their existing and rather unnecessary-at-the-moment "overclockers insurance" to cover delidding so long as the end-user 1) uses a certified tool, and 2) submits a photograph to Intel showing no damage to the CPU from the process with the model/serial number clearly visible. *Intel* should then supply the end-user with a perfectly-machined shim to allow bare-core cooling.

And if you think they'll ever do anything like that, boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Or Intel could use some other TIM that's still safe but better than whatever crap they currently use. Or they could solder the drat heatspreader on. There's many options here

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I was under the impression that the problem was the die-to-heatspreader clearance, rather than the TIM itself? Couldn’t Intel tighten up their clearances and/or use a different method of attaching the IHS to the chip package?

When I delidded my 4790K, I just used whatever compound I had left over, but removing the old glue and sanding the edges of the IHS until it sat right on top of the chip itself gave me a 20 degree improvement under load.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Or design a better shim so CPUs don't even need a heatspreader.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lDDQD posted:

Or design a better shim so CPUs don't even need a heatspreader.

Or spec heatsinks to work on a naked die/package: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Question that maybe some folks in this thread could answer. I've been looking at setting up a server on the cheap and came across this motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182967&cm_re=dual_xeon_motherboard-_-13-182-967-_-Product

It seems like a great deal, but I noticed it takes RDIMMs. Do I have to use registered memory with this board? Could I use unregistered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VostokProgram posted:

It seems like a great deal, but I noticed it takes RDIMMs. Do I have to use registered memory with this board?

Nope, you can also use LRDIMMs!

quote:

Could I use unregistered?

Nope!

"Workstation" boards usually support UDIMMs and sometimes support RDIMMs. Server boards usually support RDIMMs and sometimes LRDIMMs. Look for an X99 board if you want to use UDIMMs.