Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

darthbob88 posted:

Not likely; from a quick Wikipedia, each 16" gun weighed on the order of 260,000 pounds, while a C-5 has a maximum payload of 285,000 pounds. I expect with some absurdly clever over-engineering you might be able to get a single gun firing down the centerline, A-10 fashion, but that's about it, and probably still impossible.

I would hate to see what the recoil does to the airframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A quarter million pounds each?! Holy poo poo! Okay, nevermind.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Platystemon posted:

Open the rear cargo door and make it a 16" recoilless rifle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mortabis posted:

I kinda miss grover these days, can't really explain why.

You're using a weapons system he helped design ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The bad news is that a quarter million pounds rolling down the length of your plane is going to wreck its balance.

The good news is that it’s going almost 20 mph (8 m⁄s), so it won’t be inside the ship for long.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mllaneza posted:

Yes, bad posting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Platystemon posted:

Even if you got that managed (such as with the recoilless idea below), 16" shells mass around a ton each IIRC. Having that much mass going from the back of your plane to and out the front seems like it would do some really screwy things to your center of gravity, and thus the flight system.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Could you fire it on takeoff for a kind of makeshift JATO?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Not likely; from a quick Wikipedia, each 16" gun weighed on the order of 260,000 pounds, while a C-5 has a maximum payload of 285,000 pounds. I expect with some absurdly clever over-engineering you might be able to get a single gun firing down the centerline, A-10 fashion, but that's about it, and probably still impossible.

Use the Stratolaunch, which has a 550,000 lb payload. Plus you could probably fit a turret in the middle wing between the fuselages.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

So the C-5 can carry the gun and one shot. Two if you omit the loading mechanism.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Wikipedia numbers are kinda sketchy, but it looks like a 747-8 could maybe carry one 16" tube and a couple rounds, at least. Might have to sacrifice most of the fuel capacity, though.

Gnoman posted:

Even if you got that managed (such as with the recoilless idea below), 16" shells mass around a ton each IIRC. Having that much mass going from the back of your plane to and out the front seems like it would do some really screwy things to your center of gravity, and thus the flight system.

Assuming recoilless, would the shell not unass itself fast enough to be equivalent to dropping a 2000-pound bomb/cruise missile? The big thing with a recoilless rifle is that is shoots an equal mass (or at least energy, some use a rocket nozzle on the back to accelerate the gas) out the back, so it should be fine. Kinda hard to mount on a plane, though, because the backblast would be ... not good. See the scene in True Lies with the RPG in the van.

I think it was this thread where I learned that, but an RPG is a recoilless gun (smoothbore) that gets the rocket a safe distance from your face before the rocket motor lights off. Like so:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

mllaneza posted:

I thought he was a cook?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd be more worried about the concussion from the gun. A plane isn't made out of foot-thick armored steel plates.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I'd be more worried about the concussion from the gun. A plane isn't made out of foot-thick armored steel plates.

IIRC the Germans tried doing a single-shot 14 inch/35.5cm recoilless gun on a bomber for attacking shipping, and the muzzle and backblasts wrecked the airframe when they tested it. They abandoned the project in favor of further developing guided glide bombs.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Mortabis posted:

We need to arrange some kind of cage match between Grover and Mr. Crustacean on the topic of which is better: Airborne Lasers or the "People's" "Republic" of China.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mortabis posted:

People were less on edge with each other then, or so it seemed.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC the Germans tried doing a single-shot 14 inch/35.5cm recoilless gun on a bomber for attacking shipping, and the muzzle and backblasts wrecked the airframe when they tested it.

Not nearly as impressive, but the US had a version of the B-25 with a 75mm gun in the nose. It worked but didn't have sufficient rate of fire or terminal effectiveness.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not nearly as impressive, but the US had a version of the B-25 with a 75mm gun in the nose. It worked but didn't have sufficient rate of fire or terminal effectiveness.

Made a shockingly effective AA platform, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5je-xA3r1fI

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sperglord Actual posted:

It's kinda amazing how much the French 75 got around. About the only thing it didn't get evolved/modified into was a naval gun, though apparently at one point in WWII a 75mm pack howitzer was mounted on a PT boatm and found unsatisfactory due to the low rate of fire.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Wasn't there a Choose Your Own Adventure type comedy story about a CIA analyst spending most of his time on office politics?

Soviet hoagies with a giant mickey mouse painted on the side.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Re. 'Bomber with a gun poking out the belly', I give you Pave Gat: :black101:
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7d0_1287303302

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Regular Brain : 16" Gun mount on plane.
Galaxy Brain : 16" Recoiless gun mount.
Universe Brain : 16" Gyrojet gun mount. :science:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Deptfordx posted:

Regular Brain : 16" Gun mount on plane.
Galaxy Brain : 16" Recoiless gun mount.
Universe Brain : 16" Gyrojet gun mount. :science:

Still not thinking big enough. 16" Metal Storm mount, aerial shotgun from hell.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I mean, yeah, you could put a 16-inch gun in a C-5, but then you have to feed it. Are there even any 16-inch shells remaining in inventory in a fireable condition? I assume making new bagged charges would be simple enough. And, most importantly, you would have to screen extra carefully for homosexual aircrew, because according to the Navy they emit gay sabotage waves that cause 16-inch guns to blow up spontaneously.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sperglord Actual posted:

It looked bonkers.

One of the problems though is that the gun had to be manually loaded by the navigator each and every time.

The Germans came up with something better, fielding a lightened version of the 7.5 cm Pak 40 AT gun on the Junkers 88 and Henschel Hs 129. While the resulting cannon - called Bordkanone 7,5 - on the Henschel was highly effective in use (it featured a hydraulic recoil-dampening system as well as an autoloader system, with 12 rounds in a rotary magazine), the platform flying it (B-3) was not produced in meaningful numbers.

Of course, the thing looked thoroughly ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWHLMIxfUw

Also, there was a prototype Ju 88 that used the Tigers' 88mm cannon, although that did not catch on (for pretty self-evident reasons).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Hs 129 was also notoriously under-engined even before the addition of a comically large gun.

It does make coming out of on top of a dogfight in War Thunder while using one immensely satisfying, however. :dong:

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

This is a 75mm cannon? How does it achieve that rate of fire on a fighter?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CIGNX posted:

e2: Not every aircraft flew with the 75, but if it did:

By still having machineguns/20mm autocannon.

I don't know for sure, but I'd wager that the practice with the 75mm was MGs with tracers converging at POI for the 75. So you'd strafe a target with tracers and when you get convergence from the wing guns, you'd be on target for the 75.

e: Think spotting rifles / ranging machine guns.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 11, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

CIGNX posted:

There were several variants, one had the 30mm Mk103 in a pod about where the 75mm was. Most likely that’s the one in the video given the rate of fire. Supposedly with its tungsten ammo the penetration was comparable to the the GAU-8, just with a massively lower fire rate (also they probably didn’t issue it much at all since tungsten was in pretty short supply). The 75mm always came off as a novelty to me, sure it was devastating when it hit but I doubt there were more than a handful of pilots who were any good with it consistently.

The Hs-129 also had really lovely engines, being stuck with Pre-War French engines from the occupation since other priorities kept scooping up everything better.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 11, 2018

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Preechr posted:

I mean, yeah, you could put a 16-inch gun in a C-5, but then you have to feed it. Are there even any 16-inch shells remaining in inventory in a fireable condition?
There weren't any in 1989, I don't know why there'd be any now.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mazz posted:

The Hs-129 also had really lovely engines, being stuck with Pre-War French engines from the occupation since other priorities kept scooping up everything better.

Which is really regrettable, since the thing was pretty effective in the eastern theater. It was designed from the start though to not use strategically important engines, this was one of the reasons the thing was built in the first place.

It was well suited for the role, since it essentially dealt with the Stukas' main problem when fitted for AT roles..limited ammunition. I imagine that this thing with a couple of Jumos would be pretty formidable.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 11, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dante80 posted:

Which is really regrettable, since the thing was pretty effective in the eastern theater.

:thunk:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

O_O

Not a Nazi fan, I'm talking about the weapon man (as compared to its rivals, the Ju88 and Ju87 in that role)..

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mazz posted:

The 75mm always came off as a novelty to me, sure it was devastating when it hit but I doubt there were more than a handful of pilots who were any good with it consistently.

I was under the impression that the 75 on those B-25s were for naval attack against bulk freight transports. Air dropped torpedoes are expensive and skip bombing, although effective, took a lot of practice. Meanwhile, making a dozen slow strafing runs on a dilapidated freighter going 8 knots is relatively trivial and probably sufficient to make it sit in the nearest friendly port for 6 months (late war maybe years?) waiting for parts.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The Italians designed and extensively tested a 102mm gun installed in a Piaggio P.108.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Murgos posted:

I was under the impression that the 75 on those B-25s were for naval attack against bulk freight transports. Air dropped torpedoes are expensive and skip bombing, although effective, took a lot of practice. Meanwhile, making a dozen slow strafing runs on a dilapidated freighter going 8 knots is relatively trivial and probably sufficient to make it sit in the nearest friendly port for 6 months (late war maybe years?) waiting for parts.

I was talking more about the German 75 used against tanks as referenced. Hitting a boat sized target that is relatively static is probably a lot easier in practice than hitting a T-34, especially with a bunch of 37mm and other poo poo flying in your direction. There were likely some pilots who got exceptionally good with it but I feel like that wouldn’t be the norm. Could always be wrong tho.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Arglebargle III posted:

Wasn't there a Choose Your Own Adventure type comedy story about a CIA analyst spending most of his time on office politics?

I don't recall a CYOA version but that does sound like the CIA-created Hunt for the Red October parody. Pretty sure I heard about that from this thread tho.

Arglebargle III posted:

I WANT TO BELIEVE that the Russian chemical sensors worked but it wouldn't be the first time that Russian scientists insisted a nonsense device was working for political reasons.

I'm more interested in the purported wake detection capabilities. Reminds me a little of how the Polynesians were apparently able to discern the location of distant islands based on ocean swell patterns. Everything about SOKS is questionable and would make for an nerd-interesting Mythbusters episode.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Dante80 posted:

O_O

Not a Nazi fan, I'm talking about the weapon man (as compared to its rivals, the Ju88 and Ju87 in that role)..

Glad to hear you're not a nazi fan and just lament a slight reduction in Nazi KDR for some unrelated technical interest in the application of deadly force by Nazis

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Sausages posted:

I'm more interested in the purported wake detection capabilities. Reminds me a little of how the Polynesians were apparently able to discern the location of distant islands based on ocean swell patterns. Everything about SOKS is questionable and would make for an nerd-interesting Mythbusters episode.
The Soviets made comments in the late 70s toward the effect that they believed they would soon have satellites capable of monitoring submarines. I think these were presumed to be by measuring deflections of the ocean caused by moving submarines. There have also been fairly persistent rumors of US spy satellites that are capable of “seeing though” even very deep water.

My guess is that there is probably some truth to both of these but that the real world mitigates the effectiveness these systems or that there are inexpensive effective countermeasures.

Otherwise countries all over the world wouldn’t still be spending vast amounts of treasure and effort maintaining fleets of obsolete submarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news, BD posted two new videos yesterday. One for a new auto navigation system on SpotMini, and another with Atlas actually jogging outdoors..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9kWX_KXus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjSohj-Iclc