Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Roy wasn't in smash not even Onmi would care about him

He's such a giant lukewarm bowl of nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

cheetah7071 posted:

I never played smash.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

I never played smash.

If he wasn't in smash nobody nobody would have cared enough about FE6's characters or story to start the conversations that led you to thinking about how you could improve it

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I would still think Roy is better than Marth, if only because a fire sword is cooler than a fancy sword.

Marth is the absolute most bland.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

But without Roy, we wouldn't have known about Lyn

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

My favorite thing about Roy in Smash is he was explicitly based on early concept art showing him as more energetic and then sakurai played thegame and went "oh"

quote:

Sakurai: On that topic, Narihiro said in his interview that “Sakurai was angry,” but…I wasn’t that angry (laughs).

Interviewer: The direction the character was going in changed two or three times, and his outfit was also changed three times—or so I’ve heard.

Sakurai: When I first heard a description of Roy’s character, I felt he was a bit more energetic, had a bit more strength inside of him. So, in comparison to Marth, whose sword is stronger at the tip, I made Roy’s sword stronger near the hilt, which I felt made them feel very different. But I played Binding Blade, and he’s really not like that at all!
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Roy is not my boy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a grudging respect for Roy, but I confess it is mostly out of admiration for the great Mr. Sakurai, who has done so much for us.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Pretty sure that was Leif, not Sigurd.

Yeah you are right and that would have been even better because Leif is cooler.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

1) mario
2) zelda
3) pokemon
4) fire emblem

fates outsold kirby's 3ds games, there's more fire emblem games released than there are donkey kong games, heroes is making bank. maybe swap zelda and pokemon but that isnt really material to this discussion

Awakening just barely outsold Triple Deluxe during a time where fuckall else was out for 3DS and Fates was two different games.

Donkey Kong Country Returns alone nearly outsold every single Fire Emblem game combined that had been released up to that point in the history of both franchises.

Fire Emblem is big and I think Nintendo definitely wants it to fill a niche they didn’t really have before but I think you are also hyperbolizing just how successful it is.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I really hope we get some information on FE Switch at E3

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

cheetah7071 posted:

If he wasn't in smash nobody nobody would have cared enough about FE6's characters or story to start the conversations that led you to thinking about how you could improve it

That also isn't how it happened, FE6 just happened to be my first FE.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I kind of wanted the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei game to be like Devil Survivor: tactical positioning with turn based battles when you engage with the enemy

And Fire Emblem characters battling SMT demons

That’s what I thought it was going to be, that first reveal trailer was a massive letdown.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
luckily it turned out to be a very good game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

okay I guess there would be one roy fan even if he wasn't in smash

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Awakening just barely outsold Triple Deluxe during a time where fuckall else was out for 3DS and Fates was two different games.

Donkey Kong Country Returns alone nearly outsold every single Fire Emblem game combined that had been released up to that point in the history of both franchises.

Fire Emblem is big and I think Nintendo definitely wants it to fill a niche they didn’t really have before but I think you are also hyperbolizing just how successful it is.

Donkey Kong and Kirby didn't have DLC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I’m pretty sure most FE fans remember Roy for his terrible promotion time combined with mediocre bases/growths and a 20 use unique weapon. Infamy counts, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roy isnt even the worst lord who meets all those condititions

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Endorph posted:

He provided the base outline and then they completely changed it, rendering the whole exercise almost completely pointless. Valla didn't exist in his original draft, Hinoka didn't exist, Kagerou was one of the royals, the plot was just one continuous thing with no route split.

And the thing is you can really tell nearly all of those things even in the finished product. Hinoka gets literally nothing to do, one story's worth of plot is split across the three routes, Valla is incredibly shoehorned, so on.
Man, I was so disappointed in Hinoka's lack of presence. Firey tomboy character might make this boring rear end HONOUR family interesting! Nope, she's introduced and that's it. Though it would have been worse with Titty Ninja, who is like the other ninjas, but with big titties.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Tommy pickles voice killed it for me

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tae posted:

The Tommy pickles voice killed it for me

Nah Peri has Tommy Pickles voice, Hinoka has Buttercup.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

womb with a view posted:

Man, I was so disappointed in Hinoka's lack of presence. Firey tomboy character might make this boring rear end HONOUR family interesting! Nope, she's introduced and that's it. Though it would have been worse with Titty Ninja, who is like the other ninjas, but with big titties.
honestly hinoka isn't even a fiery tomboy. she's just really boring. kagerou at least has some kind of personality traits even if it's just 'is kind of serious' and 'likes to paint'

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I enjoyed Camilla making GBS threads on Hinoka constantly for all of Conquest.

That was good.

Then in Rev they spend 3 support conversations talking about sewing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
kagero's 'likes to paint' thing is really awkward for a Fire Emblem Quirk because she's only confident enough to show off her weird abstract stuff (that the player doesn't get to see) to people she already likes, so it's basically locked in as an 'A Support Thing' rather than something that can start a chain or be referred to off-handedly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a lot of pretty good designs were wasted on the writing of fates

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

There are some better designed generic NPCs in it than a ton of playable characters

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hinoka might be boring as hell but she have wonderful taste in retainers

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

rinkah :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Hinoka might be boring as hell but she have wonderful taste in retainers

Who were her retainers?

Like the only ones I remember are Kagerou who I think is Ryoma's? And then Severa, Inigo and Owain.

That was always weird to me actually. Those three characters have already killed a God (twice if you count Future Past, three times if you count Apotheosis Anna) by the time they get into Fatesverse and yet they're somehow weaker than the Royals?

What?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Nohr royal family felt a lot more like a family then the Hoshido royals.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Who were her retainers?

setsuna and azama

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Natural 20 posted:

Who were her retainers?

Like the only ones I remember are Kagerou who I think is Ryoma's? And then Severa, Inigo and Owain.

That was always weird to me actually. Those three characters have already killed a God (twice if you count Future Past, three times if you count Apotheosis Anna) by the time they get into Fatesverse and yet they're somehow weaker than the Royals?

What?

Storyline wise, they're not. Xander/Laslow's support has Xander complain that he knew Laslow was sandbagging during their first match and Xander still only won by a hair, and in Chapter 12 Laslow is able to fend off Ryoma's attack without much issue.

Well Odin might be worse because he respecced into a mage but his support with Leo has Leo talking about how Odin accomplished task after impossible task (including complete nonsense that Leo made up just to get the weird newcomer off his back) so he's still plenty competent.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Endorph posted:

honestly hinoka isn't even a fiery tomboy. she's just really boring. kagerou at least has some kind of personality traits even if it's just 'is kind of serious' and 'likes to paint'

Yeah once you actually meet her you realise she's nothing but I think she was set up to be the tomboy of the group. I'm honestly surprised at how many people seem to love Ryouma, I barely remember anything about him except, is honourable head of the family, wears lobster.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I want

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

womb with a view posted:

Yeah once you actually meet her you realise she's nothing but I think she was set up to be the tomboy of the group. I'm honestly surprised at how many people seem to love Ryouma, I barely remember anything about him except, is honourable head of the family, wears lobster.

I can't think of a single personality trait in Ryoma. I remember him as a massive bag of stats with a really good sword who seemed unable to do a normal hit because he'd either crit or trigger a skill every time, but I'm trying really hard to think of a personality and failing, leading me to think that there just was nothing there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think ryoma was generic good guy but for some reason I seem to recall that they might have done something bad in the past

Or maybe I'm just thinking of when hoshido stole what's her name from nohr, I can't really remember the plot of fates that well

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what I remember of ryoma is that he's a bad dad

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Manatee Cannon posted:

setsuna and azama

Ah yes! Those memorable characters who I totally don't just know as inheritance fodder in Heroes.

How could I ever have forgotten them!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hunt11 posted:

The Nohr royal family felt a lot more like a family then the Hoshido royals.

Which is funny, considering that Hoshido is portrayed as a glowing country of light and happiness and Nohr is a dark hellhole full of shitheads. That and the Nohrian royals are all half-siblings at best who are all various spawnings of their evil father screwing a ton of concubines while the Hoshidan royals are all a biological family unit where the only outsiders are Azura and Corrin.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't think of a single personality trait in Ryoma. I remember him as a massive bag of stats with a really good sword who seemed unable to do a normal hit because he'd either crit or trigger a skill every time, but I'm trying really hard to think of a personality and failing, leading me to think that there just was nothing there.

He had a personality, it was just that his personality is incredibly generic Honor McHonorman. He's never shown to suffer human failings like being conflicted or being confused or distraught. He pretty much crowds out the rest of the Hoshidan royals except for Takumi because none of them really have a reason to get a word in edgewise because Big Brother Ryoma Is Always Right.

This Honor McHonorman personality is especially funny in Conquest when he tries to get you to rejoin Hoshido by denying you access to medicine to save your dying little sister without skipping a beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

How the heck did that happen? Seems like a weird place to have been introduced.