Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
they give you a gun and a map so you're set

the most important buttons to learn are in the loading screen thing and they'll tell you which keys to press to complain to your commanding sperglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thief posted:

they give you a gun and a map so you're set

the most important buttons to learn are in the loading screen thing and they'll tell you which keys to press to complain to your commanding sperglord

I’d love to poo poo post but Thief always has me covered already.

No but really, Squad is kinda like Red Orchestra style grit, with better in-game tools for communication and organization. It’s not hard to get into, but especially when you are new it’s easy to get a beating if your squad leader sucks. Just weather the bad roubds and have patience, it’ll come around.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 8, 2018

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Things I wish someone had told me when I was new:

Rebinding the map key to Tab and the map zoom key to ~ (scoreboard to M). And then use the poo poo out of that map.

Play Medic a lot and follow your squad lead around. Don't even worry about shooting, just learn how to keep yourself alive and pick up your teammates for a while.

When you're calling in contacts, only use bearings in local. Your bearing is only useful for the dudes directly around you anyway. For squad talk, just say "he's south of xyz." where xyz is some other reference point everyone instantly knows their position relative to. "Contacts south of train station, coming from the east." would be perfect.

Stop it with that "enemies on my body!" crap that everyone does. It's not quite useless, but it's pretty close. Also nearly as useless is giving exact map grid coordinates. Both require someone pulling up the map and staring at it to figure out your poo poo.

edit: Last thing, be proud & call out your kills. It's helpful for the rest of the squad to know where enemies are dying and how well the fight is going.

Fender fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Charisma + Microphone => Good_Squad. imo 90% of the fun in this game is just keeping a nice conversation going throughout the round, regardless of how well or poorly the match is going for your team.
Great tips. What I do is ScrollDown to open/close the map, and ScrollUp to zoom the map. I love it.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'll probably be on in three or four hours if anyone wants in, and will probably be squad leading. Hopefully the server queue's won't be as bad as they've been the last few nights. This disco's been up for a while but not many people use it -

https://discord.gg/0uFJ3HEgdwubcZzL

Map awareness is key. Having surround sound is also really important. Combine those two things together and you'll be pinpointing enemies without ever seeing them.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
I think they're currently getting post scriptum caught up with some of the newer engine features and subsequent bugs worked out, as they released a close alpha for a bunch of streamers recently.
People who make other people watch them play video games used to be the biggest rear end holes as kids, but I digress.

But anyway they seem to have a good armor model with localized damage, aircraft etc. I'd imaging they're trying to get as much v10 in atm as possible before release

Hell Let Loose is currently taking preorders again 30$ to get in their early access bid. I won't lie I resurrected a dead broken link they never purged from google and preordered it about a month ago, but now it's nice to know I'm actually receiving it lol.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Post Scriptum with 80 players will be phenomenal.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I'm sure nobody cares but enough pubbies were asking me if I had a Twitch stream that I decided to make an account there today for streaming Squad shenanigans. I figure you people can hate-jerk or whatever. Here's the link: https://www.twitch.tv/3four8

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a post scriptum invite for kickstarting squad or something, how nice. Can not wait to try this poo poo out, looks goddamn amazing. New thread title should be:

"Post Scriptum: ARMA and Red Orchestra had a baby"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they aren't the same dev are they?

i hope not because Post Scriptum looks like it might be worth checking out and i think Squad kind fizzled out before reaching its true potential

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thief posted:

they aren't the same dev are they?

i hope not because Post Scriptum looks like it might be worth checking out and i think Squad kind fizzled out before reaching its true potential

I have no idea but watched some youtubes of it and it looked great.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
PS are separate devs, I believe they are paying the Squad devs to use their framework and deliver ongoing support. It looks like it could be good, although I’m not sure what it really offers that Squad does not.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

PS are separate devs, I believe they are paying the Squad devs to use their framework and deliver ongoing support. It looks like it could be good, although I’m not sure what it really offers that Squad does not.
World War 2 plus they are going to have tanks. If you don't care about the setting, it probably doesn't offer much for you. From the bit of video I have seen, it looks like the maps encourage more close in urban combat, but we will see.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Then again, they have a mechanic where you drink from your canteen to recover stamina faster. Make of that what you will.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mahler posted:

Then again, they have a mechanic where you drink from your canteen to recover stamina faster. Make of that what you will.

That’s... that’s rad.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Post Scriptum getting a showoff stream right now if anyone is interested. Multiple channels on twitch. It looks pretty good.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

v11 is out, and the game is back to being good.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Player tags are gone which is still making me double-take before firing on enemies on the desert "tan vs tan" maps.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

TOW missiles were a mistake.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
This game is still hampered by the fact you can't PuG and expect a decent experience most of the time. They have added layer after layer after layer of complexity and the knowledge and skill floor required to be half decent at SL is just too high. Half the squad leads don't know wtf is going on at all.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
V11 is very good, my FPS have been completely stabil and the new red dot on the AK-74 are amazing.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

MikeC posted:

This game is still hampered by the fact you can't PuG and expect a decent experience most of the time. They have added layer after layer after layer of complexity and the knowledge and skill floor required to be half decent at SL is just too high. Half the squad leads don't know wtf is going on at all.

This has not been my experience. My experience is that as a Squad Leader PUGGING you will get a squad full of random idiots and its hard to make anything work. Game definately best played with a premade squad though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

MikeC posted:

Half the squad leads don't know wtf is going on at all.

please enjoy this completely unedited gameplay footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdMLHOSa3A

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The base game is good but round after round it's complete loving dumbass squadleaders sinking the team because they think driving a truck full of friendlies right into occupied points at the beginning of the round trying to be greedy delta dans pulling off some grand plan then everyone's dead and all the logis are missing in action and the round basically is over within a minute.

When you got a team full of SLs that talk and build fobs and don't put the team in a situation where 40 people are spawning in a garage with two exits covered by machine guns and RPGs, game's brilliant.

No joke one of the best squadleaders I have had recently was like a 12 year old kid (he was responsive to the situation on the ground and made sure to always build a fob before the next big attack) and the worst are dudes that sound like fatass pogues trying to leverage their marine corps fueler experience into the game and had the tactical genius of "spawn here and shoot at bads until you die, then do it again". People need to start figuring out the way to win is not to capture points but to destroy radios.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 8, 2018

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat I haven't played in a long, long time. Game is looking great, sounds great, loving the queue system for joining. Finally a loving FPS with a decent server browser.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Justin Tyme posted:

No joke one of the best squadleaders I have had recently was like a 12 year old kid (he was responsive to the situation on the ground and made sure to always build a fob before the next big attack) and the worst are dudes that sound like fatass pogues trying to leverage their marine corps fueler experience into the game and had the tactical genius of "spawn here and shoot at bads until you die, then do it again". People need to start figuring out the way to win is not to capture points but to destroy radios.

The worst is when a point is being overrun, so what's the best thing to do? Ah, yes, run in the exact opposite direction of the enemy over open ground. Somehow the SL gets across the road safely, and then he says to the folks trailing "Oh yeah, smoke out before you cross", and then an APC comes out and blows everyone to pieces.

He then proceeds to complain nobody's with him to make a new rally point, and everyone repeatedly dies because the old rally point's been overrun.

MikeC posted:

It's very easy to be a decent and effective SL. You might not be able to fully make use of everything available, but putting people in the right place and getting guns pointed the right way is often good enough.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Post Scriptum servers will be up for preorders from 8am GMT tomorrow.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

deported to Canada posted:

Post Scriptum servers will be up for preorders from 8am GMT tomorrow.

I've got Arma 3 for my modern warfare fix, so I never picked up squad, but Post Scriptum looks fantastic, is there going to be any goon presence/discord for it?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

I've got Arma 3 for my modern warfare fix, so I never picked up squad, but Post Scriptum looks fantastic, is there going to be any goon presence/discord for it?

I see you've joined the discord already. It's pretty dead but maybe PS will bring some life into it. I just dl'ed it and will be playing on US servers throughout the day and evening.

https://discord.gg/0uFJ3HEgdwubcZzL

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I watched it a bit during the big streamer event they had a few weeks ago , it looks really good and plays good

I'll probably pick it up for sure if there are lots of people to play with

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Tanks combat is awesome.

3 of us in a Cromwell took out a Panther by driving up to it's rear end and hitting it, and moving quicker than they could move their turret and kiting it.

Loved it.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Had a mobile spawn point circling around the objective last night stopping every minute or so to let people spawn until a random guy tk's the driver and takes the truck right into the objective still being held by Germans. Ruined the rest of the game. Sad.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Post Scriptum is good, but it'll probably be a lot better when there's servers with regulars that know how to play.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Post Scriptum is good, but it'll probably be a lot better when there's servers with regulars that know how to play.

Yeah and servers with regular playerbase and admins that ban fuckheads. I’m loving it so far though.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
This game really reminds me of WW2 Online. I put thousands of hours into that when I was a kid and am excited to waste a bunch of time on this as well. My only qualm now is that you some times end up running like insanely far, cause the map is gigantic. I know that is kind of a side-effect of a bad logistics company or poor mobile spawn planning, but it still sucks when you run 10 minutes or so. I'm excited for the game but it definitely is going to benefit with patching. At the moment maps won't rotate so everyone has to leave the server. Also, my textures seem fudged up and look terrible no matter what setting I put.

I was lucky enough to be an MG34 in the right place at the right time and mowed down an entire brit squad in one magazine. They were lined up in a perfect line, I wish I captured it on vid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Uncle Spriggly posted:

This game really reminds me of WW2 Online. I put thousands of hours into that when I was a kid and am excited to waste a bunch of time on this as well. My only qualm now is that you some times end up running like insanely far, cause the map is gigantic. I know that is kind of a side-effect of a bad logistics company or poor mobile spawn planning, but it still sucks when you run 10 minutes or so. I'm excited for the game but it definitely is going to benefit with patching. At the moment maps won't rotate so everyone has to leave the server. Also, my textures seem fudged up and look terrible no matter what setting I put.

I was lucky enough to be an MG34 in the right place at the right time and mowed down an entire brit squad in one magazine. They were lined up in a perfect line, I wish I captured it on vid.

It's crazy just how much it feels like an updated WW2O, yeah. Just had a game come down on time, ~30 tickets on the Airborne to 50 on the SS, we won on the final point (forget the map unfortunately, last point is something Bridge.) The way the net slowly tightens as more and more people encircle a point from the attacking team feels a lot like extented WW2O fights and was super fun.

Unfortunately on the technical side the game is a bit of a mess, for me anyway. Grass pops in for a long time after you load in the map, on each spawn even, eventually around 30 minutes it finally just stayed loaded. AA is abysmal, which makes spotting people in hedges a treat. Textures sometimes never load full LOD, especially soldiers uniforms and ground.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Orv posted:

It's crazy just how much it feels like an updated WW2O, yeah. Just had a game come down on time, ~30 tickets on the Airborne to 50 on the SS, we won on the final point (forget the map unfortunately, last point is something Bridge.) The way the net slowly tightens as more and more people encircle a point from the attacking team feels a lot like extented WW2O fights and was super fun.

Unfortunately on the technical side the game is a bit of a mess, for me anyway. Grass pops in for a long time after you load in the map, on each spawn even, eventually around 30 minutes it finally just stayed loaded. AA is abysmal, which makes spotting people in hedges a treat. Textures sometimes never load full LOD, especially soldiers uniforms and ground.

I have definitely been getting a lot of WW2OL vibes as I sneak through the hedgerows with a PIAT on unsuspecting tanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying PS so far but there are definitely some performance issues. Had to turn down some settings and still textures don't always load quite right.

That's all stuff that should hopefully be sorted out by release, the basic gameplay is fantastic. Mouse aim feels a little off, but I may just need to tweak sensitivity some more.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm definitely having some sort of technical issue because the game looks absolutely awful (like running the game at a non-native res before competent built in scaling was a thing awful) and is completely unplayable both because I can't see poo poo and it chugs constantly. Squad runs and looks amazing on my machine (GTX980) with most of the settings maxed, so I know it's not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I had to turn everything down to medium to get the frame rates playable, so it pretty much looks like WW2OL.

It's fun, but the maps need some work and capture points need moved to more interesting locations that already exist on a lot of them.