Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Maybe your orbital stations can launch more fighters than the Planet can because you don't have to worry about clearing the gravity well with each piddly fighter.

e: Update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay, nice to see this game go on! And the engine was.. Never great when it came to space stuff. Or even planetary assaults - also there's the arbitrary # of task forces you can have engage in a single combat.. You can have a hundred TF's in blockade, only have ten show up to a fight, have no control which ten.. You are playing this insanely welll and patient, kudos!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just the concept of what's happened because of your diplomacy malus is amazing. Like, those guys on the other side of the galaxy may not know a lot, but they do know that rocks aren't supposed to loving talk.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Just to prevent this poor red-headed step child of a thread to fall into the archives, a short head's up:

I've been working on the next update, but work, health and a combination of new video game reasons have made progress a bit slow, which I apologize for.

Next weekend should finally see the next part up.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Take all the time you need, thanks for letting us know! Looking forwards to the next bit

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well, I think we all realize that this thread would move on a geologic time scale. But so long as it keeps rolling, it won't gather any moss

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wedgekree posted:

Yay, nice to see this game go on! And the engine was.. Never great when it came to space stuff. Or even planetary assaults - also there's the arbitrary # of task forces you can have engage in a single combat.. You can have a hundred TF's in blockade, only have ten show up to a fight, have no control which ten.. You are playing this insanely welll and patient, kudos!

It all makes sense if when you think of it as grognard space game with a mainstream title.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Master of Orion III: ULTIMATE Edition

Chapter 82: Diplomatic Atrocities

Round 263, fight! We’re jumping in in medias res, thanks to me fumbling around with my screenshotting software and not noticing that the drat thing never made the first 20 shots at all. Welp.

Here three new armies are on the way to the war front in the Connewa-system, to push the Raas further back.

Part of the screenshots time forgot was from a short movie showing the Orion Senate convening. You get that little sequence every time the Orion Senate elects a new Senate President, so hopefully we’ll see it again next time. For now, you get that red message above. It says the Orion Senate convenes to elect a new Senate President.

Other important news this turn: Another leader died and we’re down to this one weirdo now.

In case you’re wondering, we had the choice between a candidate of the New Orions and a Tachidi. Obviously we voted for the New Orions, since we just have enough votes to accidentally make the Tachidi win, which is not exactly our plan.

Seriously, we’re like the third largest Senate member after the New Orions and the Tachidi. There are a couple more members with at least some votes, like the Humans, but that’s it. If I hadn’t switched the option off, we would be ridiculously close to a diplomatic victory already. We’d just need to dismantle the Tachidi, take over Orion and elect ourselves. The end. But we’re not lame, so we will do this the hard way.

In nicer news, the Filovinkhal Empire wants to work with us! A research treaty between Humans and Silicoids is signed.

Meanwhile, let’s take a look at our victory-screen: Right now we’re placed as the most powerful civilization of the Orion Sector and we’re still trying to get the 3rd out of 5 needed X-techs to get a science victory.

On the other hand, all 16 civilizations we started with are still in the running and I was smart enough to switch off science victory. So we’re still a long way from finally ending this travesty of a LP. :suicide:

After some ridiculous short fighting, Connewa I, once a major stronghold of the Raas, is helpless before us.

Luckily for them, we’re forced to do nothing since our ground troops are still underway.

And with this, we enter turn 264. Not many news, it seems: A new agent and the Tachidi suddenly noticed we are to far away for a serious war.

By scrolling down I learn that there are important news, it’s just that the game thinks a new agent joining our intelligence agency is more important than game-changing events delivered via diplomacy. :v:

The Portal Drive is finished, which gives us another FTL-speed upgrade, some diplomatic messages are waiting for us and oh yeah, the results of the election for the Orion President are in. That’s kind of important, even though theoretically we can’t lose the game this way with the diplomatic victory switched off. This time, with us voting for the New Orions and the New Orions voting for themselves, the New Orions stay as leaders of the Orion Senate. It’s not even in doubt, us and the New Orions have a large and secure majority.

The only way one of our rivals (the Tachidi and the Cynoids are the only ones right now) could get elected if we and the New Orions vote for them, which is obviously not gonna happen any time soon.

Important note

However, since we can’t lose we have a diplomatic nuke as a weapon of last resort: If the Senate turns against us, we can, if we can stay inside long enough, vote for our rivals, splitting the Orion Senate between New Orions and Tachidi. This would lead to both colliding head-on and probably open warfare between them. Because no way in super hell would the New Orions accept losing their cushy leadership position!

We only want to use this as a last resort though, because if the Tachidi are strong enough, they would gain the resources of the Orion System when they crush the New Orions, making them far more dangerous then they are now.

Still, something to think about for the future!

The message we got was the Tachidi. They are quite angry about us voting against them in the election. Fancy that. :v:

Dzazatar-ambassador (pondering): “We warned you, now we take action. We will expand our trade sanctions to a full embargo.”

As dramatic as that sounds, we aren’t trading with them or our other enemies, so the embargo won’t really do anything. Well, if we were AI and not a player, we could probably be lured into angry, useless attacks. But we aren’t, so we won’t.

Status of the Orion Senate: Three laws are active, and the gasbags from the single-planet Kairenieo-empire suggest that we all praise them, since they are super-awesome. The Kingdom of Almandin agrees!

This probably won’t do anything, but it’s kind of cute that this one surviving planet of gas giant dwellers loves us for some reason, so we will always vote in their favor, if possible. :3:

And then Connewa I is overrun and the Raas lose another system.

Turn 265! It took a while, but a new leader to replace our dwindling numbers shows up. Hopefully it’s also a good one!

This is not all this turn, though: We get the message that one of our many stockpiled colony ships landed on Tau Sagittarii II, one of the Raas-colonies we had to regrettably dismantle with maximum firepower. We also get an update from our last Antaran Expedition: They lost a ship. Sad, but at least this means they’re still working!

Looks like the RNG really loved us with the other two expeditions, because this is more like I remember it. Or this is the fleet I accidentally put together with almost zero research ships.

Our new leader, Olise Paremogo, belongs to the Brye Ehts, a race of energy beings. One of the many NPC-factions of the game. Good old Olise Paremogo loves the military, and is one scary motherfucker. He is described as a lover of scare tactics so horrifying, even the other Brye Ehts condemned him, causing him to flee and joining the Antarans out of spite. The parliament of our great Kingdom and the ruling monarch both are unified in purpose to catch and convict this war criminal. Sadly, he will flee next turn to join the New Orions.

Because I immediately rejected Captan Warcrime here. He will be gone next turn. To give some context, the Brye Ehts don’t really understand the difference between life and death, being spirit-like energy beings and all that. So to be so cruel and evil that even they reject you, should tell you something. From a game mechanics standpoint, his bonuses are impressive, but at a high cost: +25% military (this means ground troops are gaining experience faster), +20% ground troop strength, but also +10% unrest. The last thing is a death knell, since we are gaining more and more Non-Silicoid citizens, so we really don’t want to be too careless with this kind of thing.

Also he is like a combination of Stalin and Hitler with even more disregard for life, so the democratic Kingdom of Almandin would have me shot and replaced with another LPer if I didn’t reject him. :shrug:

Our Eoladi-friends from the one-planet empire with the hard to type name send us their regards: They want a full defensive alliance with us!

Kairenieo-ambassador (disapprovingly): “We would consider it rude if you declined joining a defensive military alliance with us.”

Still a step below our status with the Imsaies, but with this, we have both gas giant races on our side! Too bad one only has one planet and the other one is blocked by our enemies from joining the Orion Senate, but I consider this an impressive diplomatic victory for our diplomatically disabled Silicoids!

More diplomatic news! Apparently the Eoladi’s self-aggrandizement was enough to convince the Filovhinkal Empire (Humans) to join our voting block.

Or more likely, they considered this a giant joke and just voted for the hell of it, like we did. Only too bad our enemies, the Tachidi and New Orions, lack our sense of humor. They voted the motion down.

OK, enough diplomacy for now, let’s go take a look at our wars. Connewa has fallen, and our main fleet is on its way to Abeen. The Abeen-system is strategically important for the Raas, since it allows them to coordinate strikes from two adjacent systems, giving them a chance to drive us back. It is also strategically important to us, since if we push beyond it we just have to walk across the last few Dilarian systems in a straight line, ending the war decisively.

The other side of Raas-space is even more done: Our fleets have arrived at Arcturus, the second-to-last system held by the Dilarian Empire in this sector. In two turns, three armies will arrive to gain a foothold.

And after that, the Almandian Fleet will glass the other planets because I want to be finally done with the Raas, drat it. :argh: Let’s just pretend that in the time represented by the bombardments, the Fleet will “forcefully transport” the remaining Raas to the colony “liberated” by us. And/or that many of them will flee, since the Almandian Fleet will not shoot civilian ships leaving the system. No reason to assume we just killed all of them. :colbert:

In the next combat phase, a tiny mishap happens back in Connewa, the system we just had liberated from the Dilarian Empire: In the 1-2 turns until reinforcements can arrive, a small force of Raas-ships blows up the colonizers which had automatically spawned in from our reserves to take over the cleansed Raas-planets. gently caress! :argh:

This is more irritating than dangerous, but still works as a reminder to always leave a blocking force behind before moving your main fleets!

In the same combat phase, our main fleet assaults Arcturus VII, one of the planets with the strongest defense in the system. With this we will bring all mobile forces of the enemy down on us, allowing our still transiting transports an easy arrival next turn.

The gambit worked and the Raas send our their system defense ships to fight us.

They all die in 20 seconds

Still, the fighting is so fierce, especially in the last phase, when the Almandian fleet bombards the military strongholds on the planet itself, that only a ruined shell of a colony survives. After the last resistance has been crushed, the Almandian Admiral allows civilian ships to enter the combat zone to help the civilian survivors on Arcturus VII. He even sends aid himself. Soon, not a single soul is left on the doomed planet.

And with this somber story I’ll end this update. There’s still some material left, but I feel this update would be far too long if I stuff everything into one single post, so I’ll split it into two.

(Also this way you get to see this update 1-2 days earlier.)

Antaran Expedition Status

Expedition 1: Expedition Completed
Expedition 2: Partial discoveries made (4) + another ship lost
Expedition 3: Expedition Completed

Next: A lot of shooting and yelling

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Are there only those six Raas systems left now? Because I'll cheer once THAT drat war is actually sorted out.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
A slow grind. And surprisingly active on the diplomatic front! Good so far, glad that the grind is going well your way. Good luck making sure the only good dino is a dead dino (other than the dinos are on our side). And yay, great to see this LP active again!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Are there only those six Raas systems left now? Because I'll cheer once THAT drat war is actually sorted out.

After Abeen and Arcturus are dealt with, there will be six systems left, yes

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Just want to point out that BOTH of my Sword of the Stars LPs with 5 opponents were finished by turn 265.

Or maybe I was still losing my last planets in SOTS1, I forget.
Meanwhile, no-one has quite been wiped out yet here. Teensy bit of a speed difference!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Sword of the Stars doesn't limit you to attacking one planet in a system at a time and give Empires with dozens of planets easily though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

wedgekree posted:

Sword of the Stars doesn't limit you to attacking one planet in a system at a time and give Empires with dozens of planets easily though.

As much as anything, I was pointing out how much longer this game has been so far

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

As much as anything, I was pointing out how much longer this game has been so far

Ironically, if I hadn't been a jackass and switched diplomatic and science victories off, we'd be almost done already.

That said, no-one has to worry that I will give turn-by-turn updates of our slugging match with the game's engine, the closer we get to victory, the more I will omit for your sanity's sake.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Libluini posted:

Yeah, over the course of the game I learned we basically blocked off their only connection to the rest of the Orion Sector, which is probably why they were so uniformly hostile the entire time.

Over time, we slowly became strong enough to hold them off, then started to liberate their worlds since they would just not stop attacking us. And then the war would just not goddamn end, because for every planet we took, the Raas found some other replacement in their weird fenced-in part of the Sector.

It's incredible that it took so long, but mostly it's game mechanics. In a game were you can assault exactly one planet per system per turn, even fast wars tend to be slow affairs. Think of a system with let's say eight planets: Even if your fleet is strong enough to just destroy a colony with a direct assault, that's still eight turns your fleet is forced to hang around. And then you have to either leave a small force to prevent enemy colonizers from undoing all your work, or your fleet has to stay until another force can arrive.

In Master of Orion 3, you also have to be a Master of Patience.

It's kinda interesting because the intro cinematic goes on and on about what it takes to not only get control, but KEEP it, and that is the nature of Mastery. It's probably not deliberate. But it sure feels like something someone could point to.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

It's kinda interesting because the intro cinematic goes on and on about what it takes to not only get control, but KEEP it, and that is the nature of Mastery. It's probably not deliberate. But it sure feels like something someone could point to.

Imperium for the Atari ST is far better in preventing the player to achieve Mastery then MO3 ever could. :colbert:

Chapter 83: A Lot of Shooting and Yelling

Galactic cycle 399 starts with reminding you guys that I am very stupid

On the other hand, this gives me the chance to show you the graphical symbol for messages about problems with your colony ship: In this case we got a plump looking spaceship and some green dots accompanying our message that some of our colony ships didn’t reach their target. (I guess those green dots are supposed to be space bullets or something.)

Yeah, being blown up does represent kind of an obstacle to reaching your target. As a side note, if you auto-resolve your battles, messages like this are your only hint that something bad has happened to your colonizers, especially if you forgot which one of your many battles had colony ships in it. Of course please take note that the message doesn’t actually tell you where your colonizers ran into trouble. You still need to connect this with the corresponding fleet message to find out what happened and where. Oh, so there were multiple battles that turn? Better hope your memory is good enough!

In this case, we only have one fleet message with losses on our side, so the guessing game is easy: We lost colonizers in Connewa. Specifically in orbit around Connewa I.

More poo poo this turn: A diplomatic message from the Raas, and a sudden new star lane forms to connect Bungula-B and the Vela-system. Also we finish Kampfschwärmer/battle swarmers, a nice new upgrade for our light carriers.

I forgot to look this up on the map, but I think this just connected two of our “off-grid” systems with each other. If I’m right (and I’ll look it up next time), both are still unconnected to the rest of the lane network.

The sudden strike in the Connewa-system allowed at least one Raas-colony ship to land. Since we can’t bombard uncolonized planets, we have two choices here:

1. Wait until a full Raas-colony has developed and blow it up
2. Drown them with our own colonizers

Since the thought of all those enemy colonists going to bed one day and waking up as loyal citizens of the Kingdom is hilarious to me, we’ll just keep our new reinforcements here and let our colony ships do their thing. Thanks to our many AI-controlled worlds, we have a lot of them in our reserves anyway (the AI won’t form colony task forces if there aren’t any uncolonized planets available, they will just keep piling up in the reserves).

At least the mess in the Connewa-system reminds me to dissolve two of the three armies keeping guard on the first planet. No reason to keep more than one army here indefinitely. One is enough to keep order and if we get attacked, we just can raise more locally before the enemy has a chance to land anyway.

A look at what our allies, the Imsaies from the Annalona Empire, are doing: Still holding a single planet of the Theta Gru system against the Cynoid-hordes of XEOL. 15 against 1432 ships. That’s not good odds.

Even if the AI continues to do nothing here, sooner or later the Imsaies-colony will collapse, since it’s considered under blockade with an enemy force in-system. When that happens, the AI will probably be startled awake and send this horde to the other Imsaies-colonies around. So every other turn I’m anxiously taking a look to see if the Imsaies are still holding out. Hopefully I can end the Raas-threat before we see movement here, or things might get hectic.

With this, we have reached the “yelling” part of the update.

Eoladi-ambassador (angrily): “We suggest you listen carefully, Kingdom of Almandin. We say it is absolutely vital that you agree to a bilateral trading treaty.”

:allears: Those weirdos are the strangest little friends we have, and I love it!

Looks like demanding a capitulation only made the Raas angrier! Who would have thought

Raas-ambassador (screeming): “We hear your whining suggestion and we refuse in plain terms, now go and play pain-in-the-neck somewhere else.”

As a side-note, I just now realize German has tons of dumb little expressions for someone who is a pain in the rear end, and apparently none of them have a direct translation that makes sense. So I hope this doesn’t sound too clunky, considering I can’t just use nerve dwarf, nerve saw, nerve killer or any of the other synonyms for someone being an annoying little poo poo.

Ship-design time! We now have almost all techs I deem necessary for the next round of ship-upgrades. Fleet composition will mostly stay the same, since it worked great so far: Huge-rear end carriers and capitals for our main enemy, light carriers and cruisers for whatever secondary front is necessary.

Our light carriers will be armed with battle swarmers with the best available fighter weapon (which is Quantum Field Emitters right now), while the huge carriers will get the huge fighter-bombers. Add in some recons filled with our electronic bullshit and point-defense ships as escorts, and we’re done.

The only decision left is what direct-fire weapon I should use for our ships, as we have three good options right now:

Quantum Field Emitter

Shoots science bullshit. Range is 26,375k Gm (a lot) and a spinal mount gives some reasonable 96 damage. Space usage is 21 units, rather tiny for this kind of weapon. Mind you, as beam weapons damage and accuracy will drop at the longer ranges, so while ships with this weapon will shoot and hit earlier, most of those early hits will feel like gentle caresses to the enemy.

The second option for main direct-fire ships:

Ion Impulse Cannon

A bit older, but thanks to some timely upgrades still not obsolete. The automatic-upgrade gives it a second shot per cycle, so the potential damage is twice the shown amount, roughly 132 damage in total. It takes up 23,99 units of space and the range is a lot lower: 23,25k Gm (or should that be Kgm?). Main drawback is the lovely range. Also that upgrade-induced uneven space usage is kind of annoying.

OK, the third option is for real again:

Plasma Cannon

Like with the Ion Impulse Cannons, our plasma weapons only still work because of upgrades we researched. With just 19,667k Galactic meters it has the shortest range and the space usage with upgrades is a whopping 109,55 units. So why should we use this fat pig? Damage! A spinal mount delivers 426 damage of hot plasma death in one single shot, while Continuous Plasma Cannon makes it hit better and Engulfing Plasma Cannon makes it the bane of all shields. The main drawback of the Plasma Cannon is just that it makes you really sad when a shot misses. Oh, and also it’s plain impossible to put this thing on our lighter ships, since as a spinal mount it’s larger then most of our light ships.

Another thing: Plasma Cannons are huge even when you don’t use spinal mounts, so they’re kind of really bad as point defense weapons. Sure, a hit will most likely kill even a heavy fighter protected by armor and shields, but you won’t get many chances for that and by now even some fighters outrange PD-Plasma Cannons.

The few times I use plasma as PD, I put them on mostly as a flavor “last-resort”, combined with other, more sensible weapons. If you see the AI researching swarmers though this becomes a trap option. Besides, you should never seriously do this anyway.

Select your Choice

Quantum Field Emitter
Ion Impulse Cannon
Plasma Cannon

Bonus: Missiles [Yes/No]

Now please select a main weapon for our capitals and a secondary weapon for our cruisers from that list above, and I’ll use them in our next generation of warships. You’re allowed to take the same choice for both, by the way. And don’t worry, there are no bad choices here, since I pre-selected our best weapons! (All of our mass-driver type weapons are so hilariously out of date I didn’t include them.)

As to the missiles, I looked through our missile-techs and apparently we got Merculite-warheads at some point, which do a reasonable amount of damage. Seems we missed the accompanying high damage / low accuracy variant, though. Merculite-warheads are good enough to outclass the last variant-warhead we had and the higher range and accuracy is a neat bonus.

There’s now no compelling reason anymore to not make some missile ships, so if you want to, I’ll do it!

Time for more shooting! Our fleet assaults another planet of the Arcturus-system. Tons of fighters launch and speed forward to meet their enemies’ doom.

The Raas-defenders survive the relentless barrage of anti-fighter missiles, but the very first fighter squadron to arrive blows them up immediately.

After this effortless victory, our troops storm Arcturus I with ease and the planet is liberated.

Turn 267: The war against XEOL ends yet again. Man I’m getting tired of typing this. At least the long list of victories is nice: We defended Tali against some random Klackons and Connewa against some random Raas.

And the Dila Empire sends us a declaration of war? What?

No idea why the Raas thought we were at peace. Did the AI get confused by me demanding surrender? Are we at double-war now? :shrug:

At least our enemies in the Orion Senate continue to make sense: The Tachidi motion for us to be expelled from the Senate. That’s the kind of hostility I can understand!

OK seriously dudes, the New Orions invited us, I somehow doubt they’ll suddenly reverse course by 180°

Joking aside, we have enough enemies one of them could support this motion, but the vote hinges on the New Orions again. If they vote with the Tachidi, we’re out. The chance for that to happen is rather low, though.

Raas-ambassador: “We came to speak with you, Kingdom of Almandin. The hatred of our people for you is growing too strong.” (He mulls something over and continues) “We declare that our civilizations are now at war.”

So we’re seriously doing this? OK then.

Evon-ambassador (civilized): “As we drew up this plan we engaged very intensively with your needs, and then ignored them. We expand the trade sanctions against you to an embargo.”

The Evon hate us and have chosen to side with the Tachidi, so this is not exactly a surprise. Luckily their unrelenting hatred helps keeping the Humans on our side, since Humans and Evons have a strong dislike for each other.

Our new one-planet allies send a nice greeting.

The southern Raas-front: Arcturus is getting cleared of opposition fast, and then only Gemma-B remains in Dilarian hands.

And right then I remember I wanted to do some diplomacy myself. First things first: The obligatory declaration of war for XEOL.

Reading through our neighbors’ research efforts I noticed the Humans got Media Connections, a nice boost to diplomacy. To get I selected three techs the Humans don’t have basically at random.

My only condition was that it shouldn’t help them too much.

Yelling is over, back to more fighting! Our fleet has arrived in the Abeen-system and the assault on the second planet is just starting.

A minute-long fighter duel ensues in orbit of Abeen II.

But soon we grind the defenders down.

And then we grind the planet down. Zero survivors.

On the other side of Ex-Raas space, our fleet has just finished evacuating Arcturus VI, and is now demolishing the colony with precise orbital bombardments.

But then the process has to be stopped, since several underground-cities are found with Raas-civilians hiding out. It’ll probably take at least another galactic cycle to get them out of there. The commanding admiral is livid about this delay, but what can you do? :shrug:

And now please vote, with the next update I want to update our fleet. As soon as this is posted, you have until the end of the week.

Around Friday I will tally up the votes and start designing.

Expedition 2: Partial discoveries made (4) + 1 ship lost

Next: Fleet Expansion 4.0

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 11, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Ion Impulse for weapons and missiles are YES. In fact, make some pure-missile ships if they wouldn't be totally useless.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Plasma Cannons and Yes.

The Plasma's the shortest range, but it's also doing so massively more damage and envelops against shields. Longer to get in range, but the firepower is so lopsided it's no contest.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Plasma Spinal Mounts and Missiles who needs anything else?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
I say Quantum Field Emitters as a primary weapon with spinal mounted Plasma for a knock out punch, secondary in this case being more of a super weapon than a backup weapon.

No Missiles on our beam ships, if we want to fiddle around with missile armed ships we can add a few dedicated hulls to that.

As an aside, is it possible to swap the in combat behavior of fighters and missiles, giving fighters a limited number of launches and allowing missiles to spam?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

terrenblade posted:

As an aside, is it possible to swap the in combat behavior of fighters and missiles, giving fighters a limited number of launches and allowing missiles to spam?

As hilarious as infinite missiles would be, nope. Missiles have ammo, fighters are invincible horrors from another dimension. That's what the devs wanted, that's what they hardcoded in.

Edit:

The really sad thing is the system used for missiles would have been great to balance fighters: Use the "launcher" code for fighter launch bays, use the "ammunition" code for hangars, and you would have had a system with limited fighter launches possible. The devs just apparently never thought of that. :shrug:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 11, 2018

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Quantum Field Emitters and Plasma Cannons for close range punch. No to missiles

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

NHO posted:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

NHO posted:

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Assuming identical fire rate the Plasma take more than five times the space, for little over four times the damage. If the armour and shields don't do a flat damage reduction per hit I don't see that many reasons to use plasma.

So voting for the boring option of just QFEs. Maybe the lightshow from many weapons is pretty at least?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To clarify some points:

-our plasma weapons come with the engulfing-mod, roughly cutting enemy shields effectiveness in half, it's like +50% damage to shields (our guns also come with some miniaturization, or they would be even larger)

-a vote for missiles means I'll design a special pure missile ship, you don't have to worry about me putting missiles on our direct-fire ships

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
QFEs and YES missiles.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Capitals - Plasma
Supports - Quantum Field Emitter
Missile Boats - VERY YES

Edit: Also I suggest the new Dreadnaughts be called Neodymium Class for what we intend to do to the XEOL once they get moving.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=hard-drive-destruction

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 12, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

Capitals - Plasma
Supports - Quantum Field Emitter
Missile Boats - VERY YES
:yeah:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Votes so far:

Main weapons:

Quantum Field Emitters: 6
Ion Impulse Cannons: 1
Plasma Cannons: 4

Secondary weapons:

Quantum Field Emitters: 4
Ion Impulse Cannons: 1
Plasma Cannons: 6

Missiles!

Yes - 6
No - 4

How I count votes: If someone just posts one weapon, I assume he means that weapon should be both main and secondary. If someone posts two weapon types but forgets to mention which should be which, I count the first one as main and the second as secondary. If someone doesn't mention missiles in their post, I won't count it for or against missiles at all.

The vote continues until Friday!

Edit:

Our current tally translates into a fleet of carriers, cruisers with huge-rear end plasma cannons, capitals armed with science beams and a battlecruiser armed with missiles (as smaller ships don't give enough damage and larger ships wastes too much resources for what is in essence, a support ship). A bit weird, but workable. :shepface:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ions are typically useful against robots and we happen to be in a permapseudowar against robots. So ions for both types

No missiles because they aren't cool enough

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

A bit weird, but workable. :shepface:

This would have been decently descriptive thread title.

They say never go FULL QUANTUM but I'm voting that way anyway. No missiles if they slow down our march to quantum supremacy. If I psuedopod onto the factory floor and I see anyone loading rock cats into missiles instead of boxes I will lose my rock poo poo.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Plasma, Quantum

Oh and:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Eh on missiles, but I'm used o them being nearly as broken as fighters, but that's as the original game didn't have working PD.

So, yes on them.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I'm voting for full Ion loadout and no missiles. You filthy missile-supporters can have a go at me in traditional Almandian democratic debate, I'll take you all on!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And with this the voting is closed!

End tally:

Main weapons:

Quantum Field Emitters: 7
Ion Impulse Cannons: 3
Plasma Cannons: 5

Secondary weapons:

Quantum Field Emitters: 6

Missiles!

Yes - 8
No - 6

Wait gently caress, we have a tie now for the secondary weapons!

OK, I have to take an executive decision!

Veloxyll, your awesome gif means your vote counts twice now, so I can break the tie!

For Reals Now True End Tally

Main weapons:

Secondary weapons:

Missiles!

Yes - 9
No - 6

:siren: The new fleet will use :siren:

Quantum Field Emitters as main and secondary weapons, and we will add a missile design to the fleet. Voting is now closed!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chapter 84: Diplomacy Down

Sometimes I swear this LP is cursed. Again some screenshots got lost, this time apparently by me making them too fast for my software to trigger properly? At least this time I made a shitload of shots to compensate for shenanigans, so the next couple updates are still safe.

Anyway! Back to the Let’s Play. The weapon poll was done, and Maximum Quantum plus missiles won. The ships are already designed, but since it took me a while to get that far for reasons, you’ll have to be patient until we reach that point. (Which will be next update, probably around Tuesday.)

GC 402: Some of the last remaining Dilarian colonies are cleansed, and we start the process of re-colonizing Ex-Raas colonies in the Connewa system.

We also have some diplomatic messages and tons of minor unrest on some of our planets. Nothing serious, so I spare you the 3-4 screenshots showing nothing but red fists raising to heaven. (Also 2-3 of those screenshots belong to the lost ones anyway. :v: )

Arcturus is the second-to-last Raas system of the southern half of their empire. Blockade and bombardments haven’t been nice to it. Only two full colonies left from 7. This will be over soon.

Apart from shaking our heads at Dilarian defense efforts, this turn also gives us some new weird techs to do the same: Organic Factories / Organische Fabriken are an improvement for industry DEAs. They make it so industry development areas can now use agricultural products to produce stuff. Like soap from kittens or building blocks from compressed moss and poo poo.

Theoretically, this allows for a more balanced resource usage by allowing factories to “eat” food in addition to using minerals. Since factories turn minerals into production points we then buy with money to produce something, I guess this means our factories can now produce slightly faster, but at the cost of our food production? :shrug:

Polyfaserbaustoffe / Polyfibre Building Materials is literally just plastics, but fancier. Mineral usage for production is slightly reduced thanks to the new industry paradigm of “Cheaper, but almost as good!”

The Bosonenprojektorgewehr / Boson Projector Rifle is a light, fast-firing weapon for our ground troops.

I’m assuming this weapon doesn’t use Eichbosonen, because the Photon is one of them which would make this rifle literally just a gatling laser. :v:

The hypothetical Graviton is a Boson, too (A Tensorboson, to be precise. Thank you, Wikipedia.). So maybe this rifle is a portable Graviton Beam Cannon?

Three more new techs! The Atmospheric Control Field / Atmosphären-Eindämmungsfeld is self-explanatory, the Regional Weather Control Center / Regionales Wetterkontrollzentrum makes weather tailored to whatever a region needs at the moment and the Quantum Field Emitter Miniaturization I is a problem.

See, since we are now wanting to use QFEs on everything, getting a tech making them 20% smaller is kind of a huge thing. As soon as I saw this tech showing up in the prototype phase with a 6-turn timer for its project, I took a deep, heavy sigh because I immediately realized that now I would have to push through those 6 turns as fast as possible to finally start designing our new fleet.

At least we can take a glimpse at the future: For our missile-battlecruisers, we are going to use Merculite-warheads. They’re straight-up antimatter. Normally, there should be a mod-version with higher damage and less range and accuracy, which I’m always kind of iffy with. When I’m using missiles, I can never really decide if I want more firepower or more range, so I tend to skip this conundrum by designing more carriers.

This time we’re in a sweetspot where the variant is not available and the next level of warheads is still a couple levels in the future, so I can just take whatever we have without feeling oddly guilty about not using the other option.

Merculite warheads claim to have a loading time of 45 seconds. Remember though, this is only for “normal” size missiles which coincidentally, are the highest size we can use: Class 2. For lighter missiles the time is reduced, heavier missiles take longer to reload. Now since missiles use ammunition, this hilariously means skimping on ammo to fire larger salvoes is the completely normal thing to do, since most battles will be other after just a couple of shots.

When we get to the new fleet design, you’ll see this design philosophy in action.

Also I just now learned that apparently the tech-description gives the correct reload time for missiles, instead of the incredibly wrong “1 second per missile” bullshit of the ship designer. 10+ years and I never noticed this. :suicide:

The turn ends on a ominous note: Our Human friends send a rather strongly worded threat.

Human ambassador: “Your reckless actions scream for a strong answer”
Human ambassador (screeching): “We demand you to stop your actions immediately.”

So either someone sabotaged our political connections, or the wimpy Humans don’t like how we handle our Raas-problem. Great. I foresee trouble in the near future.

So I guess we shouldn’t have wiped out Abeen I? One Raas planet less, one atrocity more!

Uh oh, the Humans won’t like this either!

Turn 269 has arrived. Mankind refused our trade wish. I guess we better look at our diplomacy screen to see how bad it is.

Luckily for us, we can always depend on the Imsaies: Our research treaty gets a new improvement.

Of course with our crazy research lead this only helps them, but it’s still nice to have some friends in the galaxy.

This came as a bit of surprise, to say the least: The Soriane Union declares war! Apparently the Psilons stopped fearing the Klackons and now want their planets back -from us.

Psilon ambassador: “Greetings, Kingdom of Almandin. I’m only calling to express my contempt to you. We declare that our civilizations are now at war.”

With just 7 planets in the Soriane Union, this would be a short war if we didn’t need our fleet to keep the Klackons out of Tali. I guess we can at least drop by and liberate the lone Psilon-colony in Tali. :shrug:

By the way, I also had a nice screenshot of the Human ambassador loudly screaming about how they didn’t want our advanced tech, but my computer ate it.

Speaking of tech, some new tech projects have started this turn: The Multifeuer-Raketenbasis / Mult-Fire Missile Base is an mod-addon to upgrade our planets’ firepower. A planet with one of these build will send out 40 more missiles per salvo. Missile damage will be buffed by 300%, too.

Those things are a great defensive upgrade, and I sincerely hope we can avoid getting this tech stolen, otherwise future planetary assaults will become a full level more painful.

Until now, the Kingdom of Almandin preferred a mixture of manual labor and automated drones for mining work. But now work in AI has progressed to the point where even the few overseers left in our mines can be replaced by robots. The new Mining Robots developed by some of our greatest Cybernetic Corporations are a welcome addition to the Kingdom’s workforce. Too bad for all those mining specialists who’ll be obsoleted by the robots, though. As they’ll not be a part of the Kingdom’s workforce soon.

Mining Robots are a straight upgrade to our Mining DEAs: Automatically build, they’ll simply give us 33% more mineral output per Mining DEA. Though luckily this is Master or Orion, not Communist of Orion, or replacing the last of our miners with robots would have probably some repercussions.

Then there’s the Complete Lithosphere Mining, giving us even more minerals. Again without negative consequences, even though we’re now sucking out minerals directly from the juicy center of our planets. That certainly wouldn’t cause tons of earthquakes IRL.

Also please don’t think about how this works on gas giants, or your head will hurt.

With our latest tech-round-up done, I decide to take a look at our finances. We’re already at total war and holy war would hurt our economy too much, so there’ll be no changes for now. I still hope that after the Raas are done, I can finally dial this setting back down to a more reasonable “Begrenzter Krieg” / “Limited War”.

I also wanted to show how much money our economy is worth now, but my computer ate that screenshot, too.

At least in our foreverwar everything works as intended: The Abeen-system is fully cleared of all opposition. And life.

All these “new” planets need to be colonized, so with a heavy heart I’m forced to design a new ship ahead of time, as our old colonizers are too slow for my taste. But since we wanted FULL QUANTUM, the two defensive batteries for our new Colony Ship Moräne will of course be batteries of Quantum Field Emitters.

The new cruiser-sized colony ship will also continue to use the Large Colony Crystal, a tech we got ages ago to upgrade the old colony modules. The LCC can hold twice as many colonists, but is slightly smaller than two colony modules. This I think, is a good compromise between costs and effect.

Afterwards I went through some of our planets to make sure the new colonizers get build asap, only to be forcefully remembered that a lot of our worlds are still in manual control. So I had to spend a couple of minutes scrolling through our list of 100+ planets, stop at each directly controlled one, and make sure all that neat poo poo we researched get actually build.

That’s why I’m always glad about techs like the Mining Robots, because those ones are build automatically directly inside a DEA. Stuff like this topographic scanner (+1 to all Mining DEAs on a planet) however, need to be build directly. The AI obviously won’t build it if it isn’t in control.

Thanks to me preparing for our new ships, our current design list looks kind of empty. Our giant fortress, and old system colony ship and our new FTL-colonizers are the only designs still in use.

Our system colonizer is the cheapest poo poo ever, but considering a system has to be fairly secure before either I or the AI would start constructing them, there’s really no reason to spend time on updating them. Of course I’ll do it later anyway, but only because I like designing ships, not because it makes sense!

That said, we still have five turns to burn until we get that sweet QFE-miniaturization tech, so the Kingdom of Almandin takes this opportunity to do something about the ever-growing threat of piracy: The new LAC Sinter is tiny, cheap and incredibly fast. It’s armor is cheap, but heavy and it has a set of small shield generators to generate a modern QFS (Quantum Field Shield), more then enough to deal with pirates (or enemy raiding forces). The main and only weapon fitting into the tiny hull is a spinal-mounted QFE.

The idea behind this type of system defense ship is that the AI will build tons of them just because they’re so cheap. As we don’t have any slow system designs, this will force potential enemies to wade through obnoxiously large defense task forces coming for them obnoxiously fast. Carriers would be even better, but also a lot more expensive.

Of course the Light Attack Craft Sinter is not only incredibly fast, but also incredibly vulnerable to missile and fighter attack, so the designers of the Kingdom decided to add a point defense ship to their system defense concept: The new LAC PD Debris has a little bit better armor, is equally fast and has a single Anti-Fighter/Missile Battery. But since it’s even smaller and cheaper than the LAC Sinter, the AI will automatically choke our systems with those gnats.

Optimally, over time small forces of these LACs should make our systems more and more immune to tiny raiding forces (like the Raas’ neverending streams of transports) showing up unannounced. Should make it less necessary to keep blocking forces behind the frontlines. That said, over time they’ll become obsolete, so we’ll have to keep updating the designs and make sure to scrap older ships.

Especially that last point is something I keep forgetting. Some of our system defense forces are basically flying museums at this point. :v:

Now that our governors have something to do in the next five turns, we should look at the strategic situation in Tali, considering the new war and all that. Tali IV, the only Psilon planet not overrun in the earlier Psilon-Klackon conflict, has a basic set of missile base, ground battery and a fighter garrison for defense. Completely obsolete at this point. Their weapons are also obsolete, thanks to their tiny realm lagging behind multiple generations by now, so the next bit will be embarrassingly easy for us.

Strategically, this new war represents somewhat of a problem: Normally we could just easily crush the Psilons and be done with it, but as soon as we move our fleet out of Tali, the Klackons will probably be moving in.

This means we can only deal with the Psilon-colony right here in Tali, and their last remaining system, Munic, remains safe for now.

And so three armies are raised and our local fleet assault Tali IV in the next combat phase.

As you can see, our fighters intercept the Psilon fighters and missiles halfway from their planet. Not a single one reaches our task forces and the Psilon direct-fire batteries are so hopelessly outmatched, they never even get to fire.

Combined fire from our fighters and our long-range ships burns through the shield before our ships can drift into range of the planetary defense batteries. With the planetary defenses destroyed and the planetary shield collapsed, our fleet takes up orbital positions.

On the other side of the Kingdom, the war against the Dila Empire continues. Arcturus VI is so damaged, the last colonists rather flee then subject themselves to another long cycle of bombardment.

Right around this moment the citizens of Tali IV begin to regret their government’s rash decision to declare war on the most powerful nation of the Orion Sector.

Since there are no hard, bitter feelings between us and the Psilons, the Silicoid forces decide to reduce collateral damage to “Medium”. Then three Almandian tank armies land and try to break through the enemy lines at all costs. The enemy has 12 units of infantry and 12 units of mobile infantry, presumably dug in in as many fortifications as possible. There is also 6 units of militia, a last-minute-reserve conscripted from the populace.

On our side are 50 experienced tank units and their support elements: Command centres, Psy-Ops and so on. About 30 divisions against the Psilons’ 15.

The landing is unopposed. The Psilons are unwilling to leave their fortifications. After months of slow preparations, our armies are finally ready: After several weeks of harsh fighting, the Psilon front is broken. But when trying to pursue the fleeing enemy, militia units ambush the Almandian tanks inside several huge cities lying across the old frontline.

Even though our tank units take heavy losses, eventually they can break the resistance and resume their advance. Psilon cities burn.

At the end of the galactic cycle, Almandian forces have established a firm presence on the planet and taken control of multiple Psilon cities. But the troops of the Soriane Union are well experienced in fighting losing battles against overwhelming enemies, and a new defensive position is being prepared while our armies consolidate their gains.

At the beginning of GC 405, a diplomatic bomb explodes: Out of seemingly nowhere, the Filovinkhal Empire declares war on the Kingdom of Almandin! As reasons, the Humans cite a long list of atrocities, most of them against the Raas, but to the surprise of the Almandian diplomatic corps, some incidents from the running campaign on Tali IV are also on the list.

The Almandian parliament reacts with confusion, as its orders to the military were clear: Reduce the amount of necessary brutality as far as possible, to shelter the wimpy Psilons from their own bad decisions. Some harsh questions are asked, but the Silicoid generals in charge have prepared for this situation, and are able to show tons of evidence that they have indeed fought the war against the Psilons with (for Silicoids) incredible softness. Surely no reason to splinter over this question! The parliament is forced to agree.

But still, now a new enemy has aligned itself against the Kingdom. With stony determination the people of Almandin prepare for the worst.

Interesting fact: The Eoladi declared war last turn, together with the Psilons. But alas, the screenshot showing their funny message was also eaten. Here they are again, this time begging for a ceasefire.

It has become apparent that the Eoladi still want to be our friends, but are forced by Orion Senate politics to take a stance against us. Though maybe we can learn from them and try negotiating ceasefires with XEOL? The difference of course being the Cynoids are actively fighting our allies, while the Eoladi are so far away they have trouble watching our exploits in their holovid-news. Luckily NON (New Orion News), the only Orion-wide broadcaster active on their world, is at least partially neutral, so the Eoladi-opinion is still somewhat on our side.

Man, just look how angry that ambassador is. The Humans are loving pissed!

Human ambassador: “Fear us, pitiful Kingdom of Almandin. Your continuing provocations demand punishment. We declare that our civilizations are now at war.”

OK, why the hell is everyone turning on us suddenly? Well, there are several possibilities:

1. Our enemies in the Senate (most likely the Tachidi), have made sure to forge alliances directed against us.
2. Us bombing so many civilians makes everyone angry at us. Humans specifically hate how our diplomats are always saying “Raas don’t count”, when our many atrocities are addressed.
3. Enemy spies are sabotaging our political relations.

3 is unlikely, since we would have seen spy messages warning us about this. It’s probably a mixture of 1 and 2: Both the Psilons and the Tachidi already hated our guts and especially the Psilons only fought on our side because of the Klackons. Us always assaulting with maximum war crime setting or straight-up burning enemy colonies down apparently pushed them and the others over the edge.

Anyway, we’re fast approaching Zero Friends territory.

As diplomatically oriented people, the Humans immediately moved to turn the entire Senate against us: If this motion passes, all members of the Orion Senate will be forced into war with us. Ironically, everything again hangs on the New Orions: Even with literally everyone aligned against us, only the New Orions have enough votes to decide the outcome.

Without the New Orions, we would lose of course: It’s roughly 4300 (us plus the Eoladi) against a voting block of about 5700 (Tachidi plus Humans plus the Psilons paltry 200 votes). Amusingly, this will be the third total war for this incarnation of the Senate. Obviously, with us on the way out, the Tachidi will be the most powerful member of the Orion Senate, so it works out great for them. The only ones capable of stopping this plan are the New Orions. But as the Orion Senate is already fighting two other civilizations, surely the New Orions wouldn’t be so dumb and start antagonizing a third major power?

With our campaign on Tali IV still running and under the impression of the newest round of war declarations, the Kingdom decides to mobilize another army to overwhelm the Psilon defenders: The 7th Reserve Army is mostly mobile infantry and is send down to help our tank armies. The general staff of the campaign hopes the additional forces will help garrisoning the planet’s cities. This should free up more tank forces for the offensive.

Almandin Fleet Command is kind of concerned of the sudden swell of Anti-Silicoid feelings across the Orion Sector. The admirals of the AFC decide to push forward against the Dila Empire with all available forces, to end the conflict before any of the other enemies can bring their own fleets against us.

And to do this, I’ve basically emptied out our remaining stash of carriers and direct-fire ships, wildly mixing capitals and cruisers to get at least a fleet-level task force of both carriers and combat ships squeezed out of our reserves. The 1st Death Fleet has our remaining battleships and long-range cruisers, the 2nd Death Fleet is a carrier-fleet mixing our tiny swarmer-carriers with our last Gold-class capital carriers.

This will be the last big push, because the Raas are down to 14 planets now and nothing they could do will be able to stop us.

The strategic situation on the northern front: Abeen is cleansed, but our fleet can’t advance without enemy colonizers sneaking through as long as we don’t leave a blocking force behind. But thanks to my stupidity and letting a small force through to Connewa, we need the ships in Connewa to stay until the growing Raas-colony has been either taken over or destroyed, or the Raas could grow another tiny needle in our back while our fleets are away.

Since our fleets can’t move now without creating headaches for me, I created this new force out of our last reserves: 48 ships are now moving to Iota Gruis. At the same time, colonizers are on their way to Abeen.

Iota Gruis will face some severe bombardments, while the planets of the Abeen -system will be colonized at roughly the same time. If everything works out like planned, our force will then continue towards Souchis, followed by the second modern fleet I just created. The older forces I’ve used as blocking force means I’ll have an additional reserve to stop enemy raiders from breaking through the front.

This progress is literally as fast as possible: We’re war criming every planet on the way and move with double (now triple) forces to always keep the star lanes behind us covered as we move from system to system. To be honest, I don’t like this. The poor Raas. I think after we’re done in the southern front, I’ll relent and wait until troop transports can reach the front line. I hope you can forgive me for making you wait again when that happens. I just can’t stand all this endless killing anymore.

The game mechanics however, don’t care about my wimpyness: This bombardment actually left a tiny group of survivors. Preventing the total collapse of this Raas-colony for another turn, forcing me to spend another turn bombarding the planet. Sending troops now would be an utter waste, as the resulting fight would wipe out the remnants anyway.

The only other way besides war crimes would be to wait multiple turns until the game finally decides this colony is dead, then I could send colonizers to take if over peacefully.

Until I started this Let’s Play, I never really realized how the game mechanics force you to decide between wasting tons of time in an already slow game, or being literally Adolf Hitler. It’s like the game is secretly doing social commentary on us, the players.

Another Almandian army has landed on Tali IV, and the campaign against the Soriane Union Defense Force rolls into action again. This time, the Almandian general staff adjusts its plans to allow for some flexibility and then carefully (for Silicoids) advances against the Psilon defensive line.

What no-one at the time realized: Just watching the endless preparations of the Almandians’ gigantic force slowly undermined the defenders’ wills. As the Silicoids, all propaganda aside, were not the monstrous enemies the Klackons had been, all will to fight evaporated as soon as the Almandian army group started to move again. Looking at the enormous size of the advancing force, the Psilons realized there was no hope. After some token shots were fired, the Psilons capitulated.

The rest of the cycle the Kingdom of Almandin spend with the slow, but necessary process of taking administrative control and beginning clean-up of the battlefield.

And with this, the Psilons are now unable to send a force directly into Tali via mobilization center. Instead they will have to take the long way from Munic.

Of course the Munic-system lacks the kind of industry necessary to drive our 100+ ships strong fleet out of Tali anyway. And the Klackons are still fighting the New Orions and the rest of the Senate fleets, so I’m fairly sure I can hold Tali now indefinitely. If we ever want to advance here I’ll need some strong additional forces though, or whoever we don’t advance into will flood the Tali system behind our backs.

Thanks to those few survivors on Arcturus V, we are in an awkward position. Still, it’s kind of funny that just by surviving those few Raas are forcing our entire fleet to hold position for almost a galactic cycle, which is nearly 1,5 Earth years.

I’ve already been sending in colonizers and switching on immigration to take over the planets faster, otherwise it would be a lot more then just “one turn”.

My impatience makes me order a couple more colony ships, to prepare for the takeover of the next round of Ex-Raas planets.

Time for a diplomatic relations update: Every red line is an active war, the orange one is our ceasefire with the Eoladi. The Dzazatar Empire of the Tachidi had their war fizzle out again, but they’ll be sending their next war declaration soon, I’m sure. The New Orions and the Annalona Empire are the only forces not actively working against us, and with the New Orions I’m not really sure.

Yeah, a diplomatic victory was definitely out with Silicoids, but ouch. With the exception of the Imsaies, every species we met either immediately hated our guts, or learned to hate us real fast. We’re kind of hard to deal with, apparently. Taking a species disliked by everyone and piling on the diplomacy penalties works impressively, from a militaristic point of view.

Looks like we have to spread a lot of democracy to counter all this Anti-Silicoid speciesism.

The southern front, turn 271: Regardless of that little hold-up, Arcturus is done. Since the Raas are now unable to create new task forces in the Arcturus-system, they can’t avoid our force there anymore. This means the blocking force hanging around in Alahain-B can now move to cover Arcturus, and the main force in Arcturus can soon move to Gemma-B, the very last system held by the Dila Empire in this sector.

Just in case there are still some Raas task forces floating around, two of our own task forces remain in Alahain-B.

Call me paranoid, but I don’t want a repeat of that little disaster in the Connewa-system. Also after this southern campaign is over, there’ll be a lot of reorganizing down here. Most of the ships here are literally centuries old by now. They wouldn’t even be able to draw a couple shots from the local Antaran Guardian, since that thing’s range is large enough it could shoot all of them and still open fire on the real task forces before they can get in range themselves. So since they would be totally useless anyway, many of those old units will be demobilized and scrapped to save on maintenance costs to send our brave sailors home again.

And with this, the Arcturus-system is fully in our hands. Now only Gemma-B remains from the southern half of the old Dila Empire.

Also at this point, even with me pushing as fast as possible, we’re still not at the point were I designed our new ships. Well, most of them anyway. Too many important stuff happened, you see! Next time however, I can finally introduce you to our next generation of warships.

Expedition 2: Partial discoveries made (4) + 1 ship lost

Next: Fleet Expansion 4.0 (this time for real)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Ahh, the AI of Master of Orion. Really REALLY hates players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

For some reason I hadn't even considered that the AI might actually be responding to what you were doing, I just assumed it was going to be braindead and act more or less randomly. :v: