Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binaryslacker
Sep 4, 2011

Good Times
Iron man and 24 are great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't like Addams Family because the table is fairly subdued most of the time, and doesn't really come alive until you get some multipliers and modes going.

I like a table to be flashy right from the get go.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

there is a fix for ghostbusters but you have to do it every time you run the game. you set your processor affinity for pinball arcade to 1 core and then back to normal and it clears up the choppiness.

Haha, so that's a bug and they haven't fixed it? When I tried the table the first week it launched, I thought my PC was screwing up.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wonder if they’re available on the Steam one, too.

No.

Tony Phillips posted:

Finally cracked about bought seasons 6 and 7.

Immediately started it up and played Jacks Open.

The correct decision, Jacks Open is good poo poo.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

What in the actual, holy, everliving gently caress is wrong with you man. I mean I'm lukewarm on TNG but got-drat.

Sorry. I actually feel really bad about it. They're incredibly popular tables and I just kept playing and playing the free trials and never had any fun with them. I'm supposed to like them but apparently my soul is broken.

I prefer 80s tables where you just shoot drop targets over and over again. Hell yeah.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Addams Family is: Hit Chair Hit Ramp repeat forever so yeah strategically it's a Bad Game.

TNG is do the Picard Maneuver a jillion times so Also Bad.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

hexwren posted:

The correct decision, Jacks Open is good poo poo.

It was by far the one I was most looking forward to out of the last two seasons.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hang on, I appear to be being corrected as we speak.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, yeah, they put up a twenty-dollar pack which I already own 3/5ths of, but includes Star Trek and AC/DC, and one I own 4/5ths of, but includes Mustang. No option to buy tables individually. I am not paying forty goddamn dollars for three tables.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Addams Family has incredible presentation but I don’t enjoy playing it that much.
I loved Twilight Zone until I owned one though. Just so brutal.
Do love me some tng. The borg multi ball is a blast.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

hexwren posted:

Okay, yeah, they put up a twenty-dollar pack which I already own 3/5ths of, but includes Star Trek and AC/DC, and one I own 4/5ths of, but includes Mustang. No option to buy tables individually. I am not paying forty goddamn dollars for three tables.

Also, on Steam, the new Stern tables (i.E. AC/DC, Star Trek and Mustang) just do not work at all. Either the ROM doesn't boot and you can't play the game, just stare at the table forever, or it just straight up crashes. Great patch, that.

:farsight:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I bought the tables on the stern iOS app, you guys think there’ll be a way to transfer purchases to the normal one?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
80’s tables started the evolution of pinball to have story progression. It’s part of what made Pinbot so popular.
Data East was actually the company that made the next major step with Dot Matrix displays and checkpoint had progression. Terminator 2 stepped the progression up and added a video mode but is still considered shallow. Addams Family combined and innovated so much it seems more complex than many machines that came later. Adding easy to start modes made it much more clear to casual players that pinball was much more than randomly hitting balls. The thing and bookcase toys were easy to use, and very well integrated. Toys like these are also part of what makes an otherwise simple game like Funhouse so popular.
The Call out integration on Addams Family is still nearly unmatched. Not just the comedy or dialogue, but how well it guided you through the game without being obnoxious like games that use voice to say things over and over like “shoot the ramp.” People might not like the magnets now, but when Addams Family was new everyone had a “the ball changed direction on its own!” moment. The most important thing that doesn’t come across in video pinball is the grandeur of starting multiball. The light show coming from the play field and topper mixed with Raul Julia’s warnings and the roar of thunder can’t be adequately duplicated digitally.

That being said I can understand people not liking it these days because it can be slow with ball stoppages, which wasn’t a concern of casual players in the 90’s feeding money into these things. Because of the fast pace and brutalness, Bram Stroker’s Dracula is considered a better game nowadays by a lot of serious players, but that was nowhere near the case in the 90s.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Murderist posted:

I prefer 80s tables where you just shoot drop targets over and over again. Hell yeah.

Fair enough because those are awesome too. I mean, I can see not liking the Addams Family because it's basically "Hit electric chair, hit bear ramp, repeat" unless you wanna go for Showtime but that's a sucker's game. I mostly just love the theme and callouts so I can kinda overlook everything else.

Twilight Zone is a stone-cold classic though and one of my top favorites.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
TAF's theme integration is also still kind of semi-unmatched - the concept of exploring the house, which is represented twice graphically and spread around the playfield itself, is incredibly ingenious and adds a lot to the "game" of the game. It does a great job of making the playfield physically meaningful, and I'll never forget the first time I played this and the hand came out of the box, it was like witnessing a miracle. It's very theatrical and charismatic and it's funny taking non-pinball players to pinball locations where they have a TAF because they see it and go "oooh!"

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Come on, Thing, lend a hand!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Original_Z posted:

I bought the tables on the stern iOS app, you guys think there’ll be a way to transfer purchases to the normal one?

Please don’t fake post

binaryslacker
Sep 4, 2011

Good Times
Is 24 anywhere in the virtual world of pinball?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ryuga Death posted:

Haha, so that's a bug and they haven't fixed it?
that seems to be the case. they certainly know about it.

i tried to see if the other new sterns suffer the same issue and

TheMcD posted:

Also, on Steam, the new Stern tables (i.E. AC/DC, Star Trek and Mustang) just do not work at all. Either the ROM doesn't boot and you can't play the game, just stare at the table forever
yeah that.

also there was no option to buy the sterns individually. just table pack for $20 and trial.

is $20 the normal price? seems low. maybe its taking into account me owning the other tables or something.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

binaryslacker posted:

Is 24 anywhere in the virtual world of pinball?

There’s a decent version for visual pinball

binaryslacker
Sep 4, 2011

Good Times

mattfl posted:

There’s a decent version for visual pinball

Nice. Thanks for the recommendation/info.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Farsight makes me want to just give up and move over to Visual Pinball.
I'd like to just buy the licensed tables and have them work right but Farsight gonna Farsight

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's very theatrical and charismatic and it's funny taking non-pinball players to pinball locations where they have a TAF because they see it and go "oooh!"

I went up to Chicago to Logan Arcade just last week, me and a few Internet Friends, and they got to see me start Showtime multiball and I got some reactions at all the shaking and subwoofering and light effects going on. Sadly I drained in like 10 seconds but it was still pretty neat to see people who weren't really big into pinball reacting to TAF for the first time.

Speaking of Logan, I got to try out Iron Maiden and it was really cool. Didn't play more than a single game of it because it was a $1 table, but I loved that rumble motor going nonstop. Also played Ghostbusters and it stole my drat money when I drained every ball in 30 seconds.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the new sterns work in pinball arcade now. all 3 run perfectly for me, leaving ghostbusters the lone broken one that needs the processor workaround thing

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

What’s the workaround? I tried something and it didn’t work.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

while pinball arcade is running open task manager and set pinball arcades processor affinity to 1 core, hit ok, and then put it back to whatever is normal. you have to do this every time you run the game

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Snacksmaniac posted:

What’s the workaround? I tried something and it didn’t work.

Task Manager - Details Tab - Pinball Arcade EXE (Right-click) - Set Affinity - Uncheck everything but CPU 0 - OK - Set Affinity - Recheck All CPUs - OK

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Awesome! posted:

the new sterns work in pinball arcade now. all 3 run perfectly for me, leaving ghostbusters the lone broken one that needs the processor workaround thing

Neat, now we just need Farsight to give us the ability to buy the new Stern tables without buying a whole bunch of tables twice.

I'm sure they'll right on that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i made a thread on their steam forum about that. i am sure a response is being typed up as we speak

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Ditto. That is incredible bullshit on their part.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I should be getting my TNA this month, if not I'm gonna get real mad and maybe sell my deposit.

They were starting on the 200s as of June 18, and mine is 233.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Has anyone bought the globalls custom ball pack? It sounds really silly but I also like the idea of having glowing balls bouncing around a dark table. Do they look like that or just a cheap skin with a gradient?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Der-Wreck posted:

Has anyone bought the globalls custom ball pack? It sounds really silly but I also like the idea of having glowing balls bouncing around a dark table. Do they look like that or just a cheap skin with a gradient?
I've been using them on every table since I bought them just because its easier to spot the ball with them. They do look cool bouncing around the table :shobon:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I got them way back when, glowing balls are legit and I use them on a bunch of tables. Especially ones with loud table art like Twilight Zone.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Load up AC/DC in DX9 mode if you want to go blind.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Glowballs just appeared in my inventory ages ago, I figured they were part of an upgrade patch. With this patch they've been removed, except from the tables that I left on a glowball setting. It's weird.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I'm not having too much trouble with the Stern games that migrated over on Steam - and while it doesn't appear that there are too many differences, it's very nice to be playing them in TPA which doesn't have a completely broken interface.

Their colored lights in AC/DC are hideous though, it just paints a color over the white light texture. Star Trek looks a bit better with its color changers, but when you trigger the Klingon Multiball the center texture of the table starts blinking in and out.

loving Farsight. If the Williams/Bally license isn't just locked up forever, I hope that someone halfway competent gets it next.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Deviant posted:

I should be getting my TNA this month, if not I'm gonna get real mad and maybe sell my deposit.

They were starting on the 200s as of June 18, and mine is 233.

It's such a nice table, don't sell your deposit. Stay strong so you can shoot the reactors.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Come on, Thing, lend a hand!

This is the back of my phone's case. One of the people in my league is a tattoo artist and she made some stickers of a few of her designs. I have one on the back of my iPad case with the electric chair and "It's not plugged in yet!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LawfulWaffle posted:

This is the back of my phone's case. One of the people in my league is a tattoo artist and she made some stickers of a few of her designs. I have one on the back of my iPad case with the electric chair and "It's not plugged in yet!"

Amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Clouseau posted:

IKlingon Multiball the center texture of the table starts blinking

The foil potatoes spread an array of red lights on the real table so it is trying to emulate something.