Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Couple varieties of endgame depending on complexity.

This all got kicked off by a conversation with someone about spreading the valve centerline to put bigger seats and valves in... and none of us were sure if there was room to do that without hitting water. So now, if everything works right I have a complete 3d model of where metal is, so I know where the OEM castings can be ported or reworked.

Next step up the complexity range, I do have a flowbench. So one thing that I can do is 3d print just port sections out of plastic (think the combustion chamber and ports for one cylinder, without water jacket or anything) and rework stuff by hand, which I can feed back to the 3d model. And working with others with the right tools, could much more easily turn that into CNC toolpaths. At the very least, it's much cheaper to try port experiments on a $1 of 3d printed plastic than it is on used heads with value.

It's also an impetus to get to leaning simulation stuff, since there's a variety of relevant CFD suites that I haven't bothered with due to lack of a project.

I suspect there's a lot that can be done moving air space for ports around within the constraints of all of the port openings too, so new manifolds aren't necessarily a given, but even if they are I know a few people who are doing time attack builds who might be willing to try stuff, especially if I prove it out on the engine dyno.

... which I need to get to.

The big reason is that I had a brainstorm about it one day, there's a lot of potential uses I can see for the idea, and I wanted to try it with parts I had hanging around, especially since work has a big loving shell mill I can use to take skim cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Funny thing, I was just doing some reading...

http://www.training.prace-ri.eu/uploads/tx_pracetmo/development_of_Advanced_Combustion_Model.pdf

This might point you in the right direction with regards to your solvers and meshing. Very fun.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Has anybody been crazy enough to try making their own Wankel irons and housings? I'd imagine that casting irons wouldn't be too far removed from what you're doing, but you'd have to figure out how to chrome the combustion chambers as perfectly as possible...

Larrymer posted:

Neat, but what's your end game here? Do you have any sort of simulation software to show that changes you make will actually be beneficial? Moving ports sound like a huge pain because then you're designing me manifolds too. Otherwise without changes, you'd probably be better off buying used heads than backyard casting them, yeah?

I don't mean to constantly sound like I'm busting your balls, but you appear to like taking the complicated route vs cheap and easy (my specialty :v:).

Automotive Insanity is the name of the forum.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

MiniFoo posted:

Has anybody been crazy enough to try making their own Wankel irons and housings? I'd imagine that casting irons wouldn't be too far removed from what you're doing, but you'd have to figure out how to chrome the combustion chambers as perfectly as possible...

I dunno, but it's on the list. That and rotors.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

MiniFoo posted:

Automotive Insanity is the name of the forum.

I think you can pay people to rechrome used housings so presumably you could cast your own and then send them there.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh I dunno, what were you doing today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-KxZViMckI

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
That's awesome, how many slices are you taking?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... around 130.

It's going to be a while before I'm done.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

One inch of head turned into metal chips, four to go (or so)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mustard_tiger posted:

I think you can pay people to rechrome used housings so presumably you could cast your own and then send them there.

I keep hearing this, but have never seen anyone that actually did it. Would be a good thing, since new first-gen RX-7 and earlier housings are now pretty much nonexistent.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I dunno. I was thinking in terms of trying to find a place to nikasil plate them and skip the sheetmetal liner.

The nice thing about the early housings is that if you have machine tools, you can just turn the later housings into an earlier one - cut o-ring grooves and or narrow them for a 12A housing. Pain in the rear end though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There was someone on RX7Club or somewhere years ago who was trying to build a rig to spray the wear surface with a ceramic-metallic coating. To get something resembling even coating, the spray head would have to follow the epitrochoid shape. His thread sort of just petered out.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Nikasil and some other similar ones are electroplating processes. I know flame spraying has advantages too, but it's not the only way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, I know. That was just what this guy was trying to do. It had merit due to the properties of the ceramic, though no one was sure how well apex seals would actually seal against it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Apex seal sealing isn't rocket surgery - it's a sliding seal between cast iron and whatever. They're fundamentally funny shaped piston rings.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Welp, today was my daughter's due date, so go figure my wife and I are kinda wrecked. Going to go out of town for a few days.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Man, that sucks. Go decompress and take care of yourselves.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hiking was awesome... I'll repost some of my wife's photos somewhere publicly accessible.

In the mean time though, back to the WRX... and despite breaking a few loving emissions hoses (yay 190k mile rubber) I got the intake manifold stuff all done! Fuel line recall done, new fuel rails, new (bigger) injectors, TGV deletes with gasket matching, and silicone turbo inlet.

Now to finish the frankenstein 5 speed - V6 STI (so the same gear stack as the Legacy GT but with 4.44 FD) with an RA DCCD center (which was a pain in the rear end to get the parts together to make fit but oh well) and an OBX front torsen.

Probably going to resist scope creep and not bother with an aftermarket downpipe right now as I have to TIG a cat into it - basically I decided I trust the Chinese downpipe fine, but don't trust a Chinese cat converter so just got a Magnaflow one.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Except for some gasket scraping and RTV, got my frankentrans together! I even did a little writeup on NASIOC

mekilljoydammit posted:

OK, pictures will follow once I find the pictures I took. First off though, don't do this. I'm writing this because I could never find answers, and I did it, but I also race RX-7s so I'm odd.

Now, I'm writing this in 2018. The most recently sold DCCD diff for the 5 speed is 18 years old at this point, depending on what you are starting with you'll need to hunt down a bunch of extra parts, and you're left with something that still won't hold the power that a 6 speed will. I hunted down parts over years in my spare time - because again, the DCCD centers for the 5 speeds are super rare nowadays.

Don't do this swap. If you have to mess with 5 speed stuff just get a whole transmission and matching final drive. If you really want DCCD and proper diffs, get a 6 speed. It's 2018, there's no good reason to do this anymore.

That said, the easiest way is to get a full RA extension housing - outer aluminum casing, center diff, transfer gears, all in a nice neat package. I did not do that.

At minimum from the RA transmission, you need the DCCD center (duh) and the transfer gear that plugs into the diff. The normal Phase 1 and Phase 2 transfer gears will not plug into the DCCD center. Also, the transfer gear for the DCCD Phase 1 transfer gear is different from all the other transfer gears - I just looked it up by size. You ideally also need the top cover that the plug comes out as it incorporates a feature to align the wiring such that it doesn't get wrapped in the gears although you could probably just modify a Phase 1 top cover with some welded spuds to align the wiring.

You can NOT use a Phase 2 extension housing. If you look at the DCCD center next to a Phase 2 center, the Phase 2 center necks down towards the front of the car, so the DCCD center will physically hit parts of the casing. "Aha," you might be saying. "I have a machine shop, I can just clearance it..." and you'd be wrong. The Phase 1 differentials are physically longer - with it seated, the DCCD center diff sticks past the edge of the case, the Phase 1 transfer gears are different, it does not work. I know because I had that exact thought, chucked the extension housing on my mill and clearanced it.

However, if you're an idiot like me you can get a plain ordinary Phase 1 extension housing and bolt it to the Phase 2 transmission and that does work. I used car-part to get some random 90s Legacy transmission and its casings worked fine.

If you've read this far and are still not deterred, maybe you'll be deterred by me saying "the rest of the job is just like messing with the extension housing" and not do this.

But hey, it's not automotive sanity, right?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

At the part where a machine shop can't save the day is where I'd say 2-3k for a 6 speed is totally worth it but it's wicked cool that you stuck it out. Way more interesting than another STI swap and learning stuff rules.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

It's... OK, to be clear, I could have machined myself out of the problem. The seating surfaces of the bearings that support the output transfer gears are farther apart on the Phase 1 stuff and there's not room to just machine the casings though... all the gears are in slightly different places. I think by machining a spacer plate for between the end part of the extension housing and the main part, machining a couple places bearings go and maybe lathing some shafts I could have made it work. Kinda. There's linear ball bearings on the shift rod on the Phase 2 extension housing and I broke into the tunnel they go clearancing it for the DCCD center but I think that would have still been OK.

It does hit a point where you say "... this is stupid, I'm just going to hunt down the right parts" though, and this is coming from a man who is reverse engineering a cylinder head. I think if I couldn't have made the DCCD center work with plain ordinary Phase 1 parts I'd have just said gently caress it, sold those parts to some other unsuspecting sucker, and transferred the center from my WRX over. Or the RS in my field.

Case ID sticker. Subaru connoisseurs will know this as a V6 STI non-RA transmission, with the close-but-still-relatively-not-freeway-terrible gear stack later used in the Legacy GT, plus a 4.44 final drive.

One example of special secret squirrel RA parts - that plate is a piece of flat steel on the normal Phase 1 transmissions, but on the RA ones it's cast with that little dingus. Said dingus orients a metal arm to hold the wires for the DCCD out of the way so they don't wrap around the internal gearing or something stupid.

The final frankentrans! I also threw an OBX torsen type LSD in the front while it was open because gently caress it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You realize that by including it in the picture, we’re going to need to know more about that lawnmower powered contraption behind the transmission now.

Edit: also, after all that, you’ve got the nerve to question me putting an old EFI in an even older car... :)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

My dad's barn is not well organized. Thing in the background is the frame and motive parts for a cyclekart - basically simple go-karts styled after pre-war racers. The wood bodywork isn't attached but I think my dad's styling after an Aston. 6.5hp hondaclone, CVT, dead axle front with leaf springs... we're going with better brakes than the "normal" design. Parents and I both have fields so we're going to mow tracks and race.

And yes, doing poo poo like this is why I recommend other people don't do poo poo like this; I've spent whole heaps of time wondering if I blew hundreds of bucks on poo poo that I will never be able to make work. Literally until last week I wasn't 100% confident it would all fit together, and if I'd left well enough alone and not opened up the trans (IE no torsen and no DCCD) I could have had it into my WRX at least 3 years ago or something.

I know it was kind of a joke, but no, I have something brokebrained in me that makes me want to do things my specific way even if it's headbutting my way through a brick wall.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think that's called being an engineer sometimes. I spent 300 dollars on an obsolete axle from a dead car maker from 1974, found a new old stock gearset for it because it's not the right pinion offset to use new ones, plus hundreds on other parts, plus tons of time to put a custom Dana 70 in my truck instead of outboarding my leafs 4 inches and using an axle I already had or spending a bit more on a different one that would bolt in. I swear I have rational reasons for this.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... yeah that sounds familiar.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kastein posted:

I think that's called being an engineer sometimes.

I do my own version of dumb poo poo as well, but usually try not to reinvent the wheel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't care what thread it ends up in but yeah I'd love a hell of a lot more info on the cyclecart please, they're awesome.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

No new pics because lazy, but engine and trans is now back in the WRX! Not running yet though, but good enough we can roll it out and get to work on the MX-5.

In other news, guess who has two thumbs and picked up a 1st gen RX-7 glass sunroof for $60! :D

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
are you a wizard

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yup.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

No new pics because lazy, but engine and trans is now back in the WRX! Not running yet though, but good enough we can roll it out and get to work on the MX-5.

In other news, guess who has two thumbs and picked up a 1st gen RX-7 glass sunroof for $60! :D

I bought mine for $20 from a wrecking yard... 20 years ago. Then, since it was for an FB, and my car an SA, traded with a guy who somehow got a similar deal on an SA glass moonroof.
I also picked up a 3-piece wraparound rear spoiler for $20 from the same car as the glass moonroof at the same time.
One of the retainers on the moonroof broke (stupid pot metal), so I need to fabricate one from billet aluminum when I get it back on the road.

edit: sold another FB glass moonroof with the GSL-SE I sold a few months ago. Given what I sold the car for (cheap!), I should have kept the moonroof and sold it separately. Had the bag and everything.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm thinking I'm going to do a relatively quick street build on one of the cars I have a title for. The peripheral port 13B I have sitting around, Miata trans, fender flares, repaint, cutting and hacking on suspension, then drive it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I wish I’d kept the one-piece factory spoiler for my FB when I sold it. Gonna be a pain in the dick sourcing another one if I ever get an RX7 again (I won’t :()

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I wish I’d kept the one-piece factory spoiler for my FB when I sold it. Gonna be a pain in the dick sourcing another one if I ever get an RX7 again (I won’t :()

To be fair, I did have to fix a hole in the top surface, and a crack in both corners on my 3-piece. I keep debating making it a one piece, but I actually got it to fit pretty well, and I was amazed that I managed to make the repairs invisible.

edit:

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to do a relatively quick street build on one of the cars I have a title for. The peripheral port 13B I have sitting around, Miata trans, fender flares, repaint, cutting and hacking on suspension, then drive it.
Please do. I live vicariously through you while my SA lies naked and engineless in the driveway, wholly dependent on my glacial progress to live again.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hello there, old friend... let's get you cleaned up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oooooo, peri-port!

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

That's a neato engine stand, did you make it?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Friend did... or someone he bought an engine from at some point? I've made a copy or two over the years though.

I'm thinking of moving to a snowmobile throttle body instead of carb, at least partially because we sold that IDA. That and going to a more conventional exhaust setup and doing a new header. Nothing major; sucker still turns over so can't be that bad despite the storage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I need to build one of those with wheels. Currently rolling mine around on a furniture dolly.
Speaking of which: don't buy the goddamned Harbor Freight ones. The wheels roll fine, but they won't *turn* with a load on them. I have to go get some better casters from Northern Tool now to fix the two HF dollies I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

Speaking of which: don't buy the goddamned Harbor Freight ones. The wheels roll fine, but they won't *turn* with a load on them. I have to go get some better casters from Northern Tool now to fix the two HF dollies I have.
Same issue with their wheel/car dollies. You can push the car around all day in the direction the wheels are pointing but it's a bitch if you want to change direction. I use a big open end wrench to manually point the casters before I start pushing to move the car. This is with stuff under ~3400lb, can't imagine it with stuff near capacity.