Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Montreal Screwjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Minidust posted:

Are there any notable matches that were actually won with a stolen finisher? All the spots I can think of were just near-falls.

I think Jericho beat the Rock with a Rock Bottom once back in like 2001 or 2002 but I can't remember when specifically

e: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJRRq5V898

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 10, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minidust posted:

Are there any notable matches that were actually won with a stolen finisher? All the spots I can think of were just near-falls.

e: I guess Yokozuna/Hogan might count, though I always viewed Yoko’s use of the legdrop as coincidental since he used one all the time anyway.

e2: vvvvvv :doh: oh yeah wow that shoulda been obvious haha

Bryan Danielson retained the ROH title over Sabin with the Strong Hold (almost a Lion Tamer style Boston crab) to taunt Roderick Strong who he was facing the next night.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Chuck Taylor beat Marty Scurll with the Crossface Chickenwing in Guerilla Warfare to get his 2nd shot at Zack Sabre Jr

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
how painful is it being a wrestler? I am aware of the dark past of wrestling(the present as well) but how bad is it really? Do they consume pills and alcohol purely for the agony they're in, or is it a coping mechanism?

kurt angle was a huge pill popper, Austin was more of a drinker while guys like triple h and the rock were said to be clean as a whistle(ignoring obvious steroid use). Edge seemed pretty clean as well as Christian. They all had one thing in common; they have all worked some of the worst schedules known to man.

I know all wrestlers are different and that's the obvious answer but maybe someone here would chime in with their 2 cents? Like are you literally in agony every waking moment as a wrestler?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ColeM posted:

how painful is it being a wrestler? I am aware of the dark past of wrestling(the present as well) but how bad is it really? Do they consume pills and alcohol purely for the agony they're in, or is it a coping mechanism?

kurt angle was a huge pill popper, Austin was more of a drinker while guys like triple h and the rock were said to be clean as a whistle(ignoring obvious steroid use). Edge seemed pretty clean as well as Christian. They all had one thing in common; they have all worked some of the worst schedules known to man.

I know all wrestlers are different and that's the obvious answer but maybe someone here would chime in with their 2 cents? Like are you literally in agony every waking moment as a wrestler?

When Jericho approached Jesse Ventura at a celebrity hockey game Jericho's dad was playing in to ask about what he needed to know about being a wrestler, Ventura said that if he was really serious about it, he had to be prepared to be in pain every day for the rest of his life.

Jesse's full of poo poo about a lot of things, I don't think that's one of them. Especially when you remember that Chris has been wrestling for 28 years, has wrestled a pretty high impact style (especially compared to Ventura, who was essentially a slightly more mobile Billy Graham in both ringstyle and character). He's taken time off here and there, but I also remember him talking about how when he stopped wrestling, his body had a phenomenon where the entire body felt like your foot does when it falls asleep when he woke up in the morning.

As far as pill abuse wrt Angle, something to remember about Kurt is that he really did wrestle in the Olympics with a broken freakin' neck and used vicodin before ever working in wrestling. Then wrestled a full WWE schedule for almost a decade and developed concussion problems, and had spinal surgery in 2003. Angle pushed himself crazy hard with an already damaged body.

Some guys are better at shutting off the pain and managing how they medicate better than others. Some walk away before it becomes an issue.

Here's a question: What exactly does Christian have tatooed on his bicep? I've never been able to figure it out.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

ColeM posted:

I trained as a wrestler and worked on shows for about a year and a half before life/work got in the way of things. I'd train twice a week on top of the semi-irregular shows I did, and that training involved giving and taking moves for a majority of the practice sessions. A metric poo poo ton of the training is dedicated to making sure that moves are as safe as possible. For the first 4 months of training I ached. Bumping can suck, and if you're not tucking your head the right way you absolutely will smack your skull on the canvas. It's insanely easy for a tiny thing to go wrong and gently caress your body up. I still have a nagging pain in my shoulder from taking a move back in November 2016. And I wrestled maybe once a month! I think it is fair to say that the full time wrestlers of all types definitely dedicate a great amount of time to self-care, in order to keep as injury-free as possible. I can only assume that better medical anatomical/medical understandings in the wrestling world have made things better than the pill popping of the 80s/90s/00s, but there are a lot of factors. Lots of wrestling industry people have talked about how unforgiving and painful wrestling rings used to be, and I can say from experience (my home promotion switched from a 20 year old ring to a brand new one while I was training there) that a newer wrestling ring is so much nicer on the body.

All in all, I think it's fair to say that wrestlers today have the potential to have much longer and healthier lives and careers due to the advances of the modern world, but the classics are definitely full of half-immobile people, too. All of the wrestlers that I've personally met who've wrestled during the 80s and early 90s walk and move like they're 20 years older than they actually are.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

ColeM posted:

Like are you literally in agony every waking moment as a wrestler?

Yeah pretty much, I wrestle on average twice a month and approaching my one year debut. Most of my injures are more from accidents in training or over training.
Messed up neck which bugs me from time to time, torn meniscus, shoulder pain that's probably a result of my neck, banged up elbow from slipping and bumping awkwardly in a lovely old broken ring, still can't look at flashing lights thanks to a concussion months ago.
No matter the decade or style I imagine all wrestlers are banged up all the time. I think comedy wrestlers are the only ones who get it maybe just a little easier.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Okay so.. why don’t you dudes quit? You’re not dedicating yourselves so you won’t get anywhere. So why torture yourselves? I say that out of compassion not scorn.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some people really enjoy playing sports at an amateur level, even sports with a high rate of injury.

I've never wrestled but it seems like injuries and chronic pain depend on a lot of things, including not only how often you work, but how you wrestle, and how you take care of yourself between shows--the latter of which depends a great deal on money. Guys in the 70s and 80s didn't wrestle like Kobashi and Misawa, but the schedule was absolutely brutal and most were traveling by car from show to show. I assume the (shifting) expectation of a bodybuilder physique also plays a role.

I remember DBD telling Colt Cabana that he'd like to get a bus and a driver, for his health, but he didn't feel like it was feasible yet because he hadn't been making big money for very long.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 11, 2018

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Okay so.. why don’t you dudes quit? You’re not dedicating yourselves so you won’t get anywhere. So why torture yourselves? I say that out of compassion not scorn.

Made great friends, even though it's not much I get paid to travel, nothing like riding for 8 hours with your friends to buttfuck nowhere, wrestle a 10 minute match then stay at a nice hotel and have it all paid for. Despite the pain I'm in the best shape of my life and it's a lot of fun. It's my Ikigai, I don't mind the pain it's just really frustrating and depressing when you get a serious injury and you can't work or wrestle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also I think for some guys Terry Funk Disease sets in early and you're essentially in love with it and can't leave no matter how much your body wants you to

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

FunMerrania posted:

Made great friends, even though it's not much I get paid to travel, nothing like riding for 8 hours with your friends to buttfuck nowhere, wrestle a 10 minute match then stay at a nice hotel and have it all paid for. Despite the pain I'm in the best shape of my life and it's a lot of fun. It's my Ikigai, I don't mind the pain it's just really frustrating and depressing when you get a serious injury and you can't work or wrestle.

Abso-fuckin-lutely. Ikigai is a perfect way to put it, I kinda wish I'd thought of that before. It's so, so different from anything else I've ever done, and it's such an endorphin rush when you get the crowd to react to you

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

To quote the great philosopher bouncer Dalton "Pain don't hurt."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Qoey posted:

Abso-fuckin-lutely. Ikigai is a perfect way to put it, I kinda wish I'd thought of that before. It's so, so different from anything else I've ever done, and it's such an endorphin rush when you get the crowd to react to you

Sounds like you'd agree with Mr. Suzuki

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1016569771532353539

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Good answers. I respect that. Thanks for the insight.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VJeff posted:

What're some examples of in-match dialogue that you like?

My favorite is probably always gonna be Owens yelling "Don't make me do this!" at Sami Zayn right before Zayn kicks him to death.

I read like two pages of answers and not one of you had tank Abbott screaming YOU WANNA loving GO at the start of the match that ended with I COULD loving KILL YOU

Go to hell

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He was just trying to shave his beard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im just saying descriptions of that match leave out things like tank screaming gently caress multiple times during the match itself and thenjust dumping the other guy on his fuckin head

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you
As I further adventure through TNA content delivered by Twitch...I am constantly surprised by their finishes.
Every single match appears to end with a fucky finish, or several guys running in from the back while the timekeeper randomly tolls the bell. None of this seems to be in an effort to progress story or get someone over, they just want to end the match/show with as many people in the arena as possible. Whether it is impact, or a PPV...

Can anyone give me examples of a good match with a clean finish in TNA?
And/Or, which match had the most inexplicably fucky ending?

TNA fans seem to chant for the weirdest poo poo...I assume that this is because they use plants or piping them in?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kaskadan posted:

As I further adventure through TNA content delivered by Twitch...I am constantly surprised by their finishes.
Every single match appears to end with a fucky finish, or several guys running in from the back while the timekeeper randomly tolls the bell. None of this seems to be in an effort to progress story or get someone over, they just want to end the match/show with as many people in the arena as possible. Whether it is impact, or a PPV...

TNA fans seem to chant for the weirdest poo poo...I assume that this is because they use plants or piping them in?

Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe at Lockdown 2008 and James Storm vs. Bobby Roode at Bound For Glory 2012 were both really good matches with clean finishes (I think?).

The fuckiest ending cannot be named because there are like a hundred all with different levels of fuckitude. There was Samoa Joe vs. Magnus for the TNA Title that ended when a hand came out through the ring, looked around like a submarine, was grabbed by Joe, pulled Joe under the ring, then Joe came back out from under the ring, set Magnus up for the musclebuster, but then Abyss came out from under the ring to help Magnus beat Joe. In a cage match.

But that might not even be in the top 20 fucky finishes in TNA.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Also TNA's fans chanted for all sorts of things because while there weren't many fans invested in the TNA product (there were a lot who would watch, but then not many would buy the PPVs), those who were were passionate about it.

Then TNA brought in Hogan and Bischoff and told the passionate fans that TNA sucked and was bad and what little paying customers they had left and never returned.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Though at least there were some times when the crowd chants were pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17LDYDDPpFA

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kaskadan posted:

you should watch Raven vs Jeff Jarrett

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Who's the most garbo Canadian wrestler in the biz right now? (bonus points for stories/pics/vids kayfabe or no for me to lol at)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Also TNA's fans chanted for all sorts of things because while there weren't many fans invested in the TNA product (there were a lot who would watch, but then not many would buy the PPVs), those who were were passionate about it.

Then TNA brought in Hogan and Bischoff and told the passionate fans that TNA sucked and was bad and what little paying customers they had left and never returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXroqZ_jv8

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

Who's the most garbo Canadian wrestler in the biz right now? (bonus points for stories/pics/vids kayfabe or no for me to lol at)
It's got to be Teddy Hart, right? I'll give you the Shitarse Fifty style writeup:

--Complete self-mark and rear end in a top hat who has a bad reputation across multiple companies now

--Supposedly the youngest wrestler ever signed to WWE, released very quickly due to attitude problems

--Talented, but a spotmonkey who always has to get his poo poo in and won't sell

--Loves doing dangerous dives; most infamously, an unplanned dive off the cage in a ROH match that forced multiple wrestlers to break kayfabe to catch him, and prompting CM Punk to write a long diatribe against him on LiveJournal

--multiple rape allegations

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 12, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Minidust posted:

e: I guess Yokozuna/Hogan might count, though I always viewed Yoko’s use of the legdrop as coincidental since he used one all the time anyway.

e2: vvvvvv :doh: oh yeah wow that shoulda been obvious haha

Aphrodite posted:

The Montreal Screwjob.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Montreal Screwjob

The Berzerker posted:

I think Jericho beat the Rock with a Rock Bottom once back in like 2001 or 2002 but I can't remember when specifically

e: found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJRRq5V898

MassRafTer posted:

Bryan Danielson retained the ROH title over Sabin with the Strong Hold (almost a Lion Tamer style Boston crab) to taunt Roderick Strong who he was facing the next night.

Ah, good examples! I like that this spot has remained pretty rare in general. I'm honestly surprised at the level of restraint WWE has shown in not overusing the stolen finisher, though it probably has more to do with their weird branding obsession than anything else.

Here's one I just remembered (although this case has a very specific storyline context to it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQW5vJd3tM&t=116s

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seth must have beaten HHH with the Pedigree at least once too.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yep. Their Mania 33 match ended with Trips accidentally knocking Steph into a table, turning around, getting Pedigreed, 1-2-3. But I dunno if that really counts as it had become Seth's finisher for a while.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Aphrodite posted:

i think when he faced HHH he was using the rainmaker knee as a finisher, right?

that thing never looked as good as he wanted it to.

e: im wrong, obviously!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

Yep. Their Mania 33 match ended with Trips accidentally knocking Steph into a table, turning around, getting Pedigreed, 1-2-3. But I dunno if that really counts as it had become Seth's finisher for a while.

Credit to that match though, I believe that was the last Pedigree Seth did which is a cool bit of storytelling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shiksa posted:

i think when he faced HHH he was using the rainmaker knee as a finisher, right?

that thing never looked as good as he wanted it to.

When Omega does it, he does a bicycle kick pump and a thigh slap.

Even just the slap would improve Seth's a lot. It doesn't have a big visual impact, so you need the sound.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Omega also does a basketball hop step into the jumping knee look more explosive. Seth just kinda jumped and it looked very flat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So what's the story about that time Kojima tossed away the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and Tanahashi and Nakamura just chase him the gently caress down?

D.N. Nation posted:

That match had a bunch of really cool pedigree reversals too. It's unfortunate that it was at the wrong place in the card because in a vacuum, Trips and Seth did a really good job constructing and executing that match.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Credit to that match though, I believe that was the last Pedigree Seth did which is a cool bit of storytelling.

For full disclosure, he instinctively went for the Pedigree on Karl Anderson a couple weeks later, thought about it, stopped, and hit the KNEE! instead.

The KNEE! never looked as good as Seth wanted it to but I like it as a set-up to his finisher right now. One time he did a thing where he hit the KNEE! and then followed it up with a Frog Splash and it was like the first time he'd actually gotten a pin with his frog splash. I loved it.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

VJeff posted:

It's unfortunate that it was at the wrong place in the card because in a vacuum, Trips and Seth did a really good job constructing and executing that match.

In a Vacuum, It Was a Well-Constructed and Executed Match: the Triple H Story

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

In a Vacuum, It Was a Well-Constructed and Executed Match: the Triple H Story

We break the guy's balls a LOT but HHH would probably be an excellent coach at an actual school. I don't mean an NXT environment, either, but him teaching completely untrained kids the basics would probably work out real well, his fundamentals are strong and I remember him breaking down why people do things a certain way in Tough Enough segments and thinking he'd be good at it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

We break the guy's balls a LOT but HHH would probably be an excellent coach at an actual school. I don't mean an NXT environment, either, but him teaching completely untrained kids the basics would probably work out real well, his fundamentals are strong and I remember him breaking down why people do things a certain way in Tough Enough segments and thinking he'd be good at it.
Chris Hero is just as good at it, but probably not in the "WWE Style" nearly as much as they'd like him to be.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm looking for stuff to read (I always am tbh) and the Titan series (Sinking, etc) popped up on my recommendations. Never heard of it, wondering if they're good/bad/bullshit/entertaining bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Omega also does a basketball hop step into the jumping knee look more explosive. Seth just kinda jumped and it looked very flat.

Tbf Omega uses a ton of different variations of the knee and they're not all jumping