Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sheen Sheen posted:

Unfortunately no, just a PS4 :( I'm pretty sure I can't download it off PSN for PS4

I know it will never happen, but this is like the perfect game to release for Switch

If you have a PSP, it is included in the Dracula X Chronicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Gnoman posted:

If you have a PSP, it is included in the Dracula X Chronicles.

Yeah, that version is also completely retranslated(for better or for worse), and includes a bit of new stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Draculax was pretty good, shame the lack of support for the PSP means I traded mine in ages ago while I have all sorts of game boys and cartridges still around.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyflan posted:

Yeah, that version is also completely retranslated(for better or for worse), and includes a bit of new stuff.
Wait, really? I could swear it was the same thing as on PS1.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Pierzak posted:

Wait, really? I could swear it was the same thing as on PS1.

It has been fully retranslated, with the intent of being more faithful to the Japanese original script. For example, the intro reads:

quote:

Richter: Dracula. Die now, and leave this world! You'll never belong here!
Dracula: Oh, but this world invited me. Your own kind called me forth with praise and tribute.
Richter: Tribute? You're a thief. You steal men's souls, their freedom...
Dracula: Freedom is always sacrificed to faith, good hunter. Or are you truly here by choice?
Richter: All I'm here for is you. To hell with your heresy! You're nothing but a blight on mankind.
Dracula: Ha! Mankind. A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!

Instead of the more familiar version

quote:

Richter: Die monster. You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter: Tribute!?! You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...
Richter: Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
Dracula: What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!

It also includes two familiars originally left out of the game, as well as the option of Japanese audio.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sheen Sheen posted:

Unfortunately no, just a PS4 :( I'm pretty sure I can't download it off PSN for PS4

I know it will never happen, but this is like the perfect game to release for Switch
It's available for PS3, PSP, and PSVita as a PS1 Classic, and for PSP (and by extension PSVita) as part of the Dracula X Chronicles game (which re-translates and re-records most of the dialogue), which also includes two versions of Rondo of Blood, the game the "Final Stage: Bloodlines" bit of Symphony was based off of (that's right, not the actual game titled Castlevania Bloodlines, but instead Rondo of Blood).

Gnoman posted:

It also includes two familiars originally left out of the game, as well as the option of Japanese audio.
And Maria as a playable character, in addition to Richter.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Dracula posted:

Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!

:iceburn:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 10- I hope you feel like a dick now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, the lesser demon hits like a truck. Nice job not dying to it when caught by surprise.

An example of different weapons having advantages other than their dps, the holy rod has a different hitbox to the swords you've been using. Not only is it larger at the tip, but it swings out a bit higher up when the swords you've seen just go straight out. Not a drastic enough change to plan around, but you're generally going to have fewer times when you barely miss an enemy, particularly with fleamen or other small/nimble foes.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's another nice thing about it.

I have no idea how you're supposed to figure out weapon spells, but the Holy Rod has one of the easiest to trigger by accident.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The "slab" in the gate area of the castle was intended to lead to another area of the castle, which in the end was cut from the PSX version due to deadlines. You actually can clip through by exploiting glitches, but there are only a couple of rooms including a save point AFAIK. This area was completed in the Saturn version of the game and was accessible normally.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, the lesser demon hits like a truck. Nice job not dying to it when caught by surprise.
Yeah, that was pretty impressive, especially considering how much damage he took up front. I'm pretty sure that the Holy Rod saved him, because I remember the Demon taking a lot more punishment before going down. I'm pretty sure it's weak to Holy.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Got lucky that youtube recommended me episode ten, cause I was still waiting for eight to come out. Just a friendly reminder to update the op/table of contents for us quiet non thread following lurkers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Jade Star posted:

Got lucky that youtube recommended me episode ten, cause I was still waiting for eight to come out. Just a friendly reminder to update the op/table of contents for us quiet non thread following lurkers.

I'll bear it in mind.

I've been getting a little lax with these amazing youtube auto updates I've got going.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 11- What did I just do?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Oh man, you entered Olrox's Quarters, had a similar reaction when I found it first time and that music just won me over immediately.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"Olrox's Quarters" is actually a mistranslation. The name of the area is supposed to be Orlock's Quarters, a reference to the movie Nosferatu.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 12- SHORYUKEN!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Your genuine reaction to the plot there was brilliant. This is why blind LPs can be the best goddamn thing sometimes. :allears:

Also, this area can be a right pain without the proper tools to get through it, especially given Alucard's knockback, which can send you flying right out of the room. :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like the flow of this area. "So we give them the mist pick-up which is a glorified key right now and want to direct them to where it can be used without putting that place physically nearby or else the mist feels like a needless extra step. I know, let's give the player an item to teleport to the shop, and then put their goal near the shop!" Guiding while still allowing the player to meander.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colosseum has some of my favorite music in this game, and that's saying a lot. It really is great.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

bladeworksmaster posted:

Your genuine reaction to the plot there was brilliant.

That was good, but his reaction to learning why the Time Stop is the worst subweapon in the game was better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gnoman posted:

That was good, but his reaction to learning why the Time Stop is the worst subweapon in the game was better.

Time Stop is great until you encounter anything you actually want to use it on.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Exactly. This is what makes it the only bad subweapon in the game. Everything else is extremely useful, but the Time Stop is only good against enemies that aren't worth the trouble.

Regarding the end of the update
I don't think he's ever going to figure out what makes the Shield Rod so amazing unless he's told how to do the spell. As far as I know, the game never tells you about it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
When your opponent proclaims 'his range is excellent', if your reaction is to throw your axe away you deserve everything you get Minotaur :colbert:

Also holy poo poo, the Werebane is one of my favorite weapons in the entire game just for how stylish it is :allears:

Pros: One of the strongest shortswords in the game.

Cons: That's faint praise as you continue collecting weapons.

I replayed this game this week and just now realized I forgot to get the shield rod :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 19, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bruceski posted:

The Stopwatch is useful against a couple of things you'd really want to use it on, but yeah it's generally pretty underwhelming.

Gnoman posted:

Exactly. This is what makes it the only bad subweapon in the game. Everything else is extremely useful, but the Time Stop is only good against enemies that aren't worth the trouble.
I argue that the Vibhuti or whatever it's called (the "magic salt") is worse than the Stopwatch, mostly because I can't think of any situation I'd use it that the Holy Water isn't objectively better for.

Section Z posted:

Also holy poo poo, the Werebane is one of my favorite weapons in the entire game just for how stylish it is :allears:

Pros: One of the strongest shortswords in the game.

Cons: That's faint praise as you continue collecting weapons.
I like using the Werebane due to a mechanic that Tea discovered once in the literal first video and then seems to have promptly forgotten about. For a while, I usually dual-wield the Firebrand (spoilered because even though it's in the shop, we haven't technically seen it in action yet) and either the Rapier or the Were Bane, depending upon what drops.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I argue that the Vibhuti or whatever it's called (the "magic salt") is worse than the Stopwatch, mostly because I can't think of any situation I'd use it that the Holy Water isn't objectively better for.

That weapon has a slightly higher damage formula, and the different trajectory can be useful. Holy water is probably better in most cases, but "not as good" isn't the same as "bad".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gnoman posted:

That weapon has a slightly higher damage formula, and the different trajectory can be useful. Holy water is probably better in most cases, but "not as good" isn't the same as "bad".
Except the Holy Water deals continuous damage as long as the enemy is in contact with it, so 99% of the time it ends up dealing more damage, too. I suppose that's more of the "Baselard vs. Gladius" argument that was going on before, though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This video is a good example of why you can't rely on damage numbers alone. The holy rod would have made minced meat out of that room that kept owning you, contrary to the Werebane.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Shield Rod is wonderful when you learn the trick, especially when you get your original shield back.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 20, 2018

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I love the gradual shift from loving the idea of a shield to completely ignoring it when enemies are shooting at you constantly.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The little shield bit you’re shooting sometimes is actually a reference to Gradius, which has a similar floating shield power up that will protect you from bullets. It will block projectiles your shield can much the same way.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

You've never used the spells, Yorkshire Tea? You've missed out, man.

Hellfire is incredibly useful, just because of the teleport.

Note that you also do not need to buy the spell books to use the spells, if you know the inputs, and have enough MP, you can use them straight from the beginning of the game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cyflan posted:

Hellfire is incredibly useful, just because of the teleport.
You don't even have to throw the actual fireballs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pierzak posted:

You don't even have to throw the actual fireballs.
And you can do the two-fireball attack Drac uses as well.

That said, Hellfire is the spell I use least, really. I use Dark Metamorphosis, and I also like Summon Spirit, the third spell Nat20 bought but didn't use on-camera. But the spells I use most are probably Tetra Spirit and Soul Steal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress yeah summon spirit. AKA "gently caress Birds :argh:", the spell and way easier to bust out on demand than the spoilered stuff. For as crazy useful as all the other spells are, if I could only use ONE, it would be Summon Spirit.

Dark metamorphisis is a big reason why as cool as the shield rod is (when I don't forget to grab it :downs:) I tend to use fancy rod+blade combos. Shame you can't get my favorite knife until quite a while from now.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 20, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 13 - Alucard Cares!

Oops! This went up yesterday and is meant to go up today!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's been over twenty years since I've played this game, so seeing you guys go at it is both nostalgic and completely new at the same time. Not to mention being a dumb kid, I frequently got my rear end kicked and didn't understand all the mechanics of cool stuff like the Shield Rod. I didn't even realize magic could be that bloody useful.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

The weird blue things are Gradius shields, you can summon them with the Shield rod by doing the normal input twice rapidly or back then forward plus attacking with the shield rod. They'll hang around for a bit and can block projectiles, they're mostly an easter egg though.

Unrelated - I think you can get those pot items that were just a little out of reach by misting at the very peak of your second jump and stretching over, but it's probably easier to come back with the next form upgrade.

While I'm not expecting full completion (because that involves humping ceilings trying to get every last atom of map space and is tedious), I do hope Nat20 is sufficiently down to poke around in all the areas, there's a lot of neat fights/areas in this game that end up being optional for completion.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Dawk metamorphfsshsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gimbal lock posted:

Dawk metamorphfsshsh

Dawk metamorphofish?

• Locked thread