Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nag'molada, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Aaaand the new character is Locke, like most everyone predicted. Boy he looks strange in 3D.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I know it's no big surprise, but he's great so who cares :woop:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm still surprised by Locke's popularity, I'd always figured that Celes was more popular than him, but shows what I know. :v:

I'd be pretty excited for Rinoa though. Here's hoping she's actually good to play.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm still surprised by Locke's popularity, I'd always figured that Celes was more popular than him, but shows what I know. :v:

I'd be pretty excited for Rinoa though. Here's hoping she's actually good to play.

Oh poo poo, was she confirmed too?

Anyways, here’s Locke’s preview trailer, he looks pretty rad. Seems like he can steal gil from the enemy or something? Not sure what that’d do, hopefully it’s more interesting than just a stat buff/debuff. Seems he has a surprising amount of ranged options too. He has a cool-looking HP attack at the 50 second mark, where he like dips down real quick before striking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ECpeb9ZBI

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Details on Locke, gleamed from the preview footage: He has an innate “Sneak Attack”, where he deals extra damage against enemies that are NOT targeting him. His neutral ground attack deals 96+96+224 = 416 damage against an enemy targeting him, but 128+128+256 = 512 against an enemy that isn’t. His steal will give him a random buff, again partially determined by whether the opponent is or isn’t targeting him. Against an opponent targetting him, he can steal either a Potion or an Ether. Potion heals HP, Ether heals Bravery? Against an enemy that isn’t targeting him, Steal turns into Mug and does 176 damage, and allows him to steal either a big melee combo, a big spell slinging combo, or a self buff that will make him deal Sneak Attack damage even to targets that are looking at him. Steal/Mug has around a 30 second cooldown, can steal from someone even if they’re guarding, and can be used as a combo opener.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Locke's full movelist is up too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcim15ueIk

Grounded dashing II looks like a brave version of rough divide, and looks like it could've been a great answer to playing height games but ground slam instead of a wall rush is super disappointing. At least his HPs don't look annoying to cut, past like the first one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh poo poo, was she confirmed too?

No, but we're on track for that list of predictions. If Rinoa really is the next one out there's a pretty good chance it's a reliable leak.

I'd still have preferred Laguna, but I imagine he'll have a good chance of showing up next year anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Did they ever end up addressing the netcode problems in any way?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The netcode was always pretty decent, it's just a matter of the everpresent problems of idiots playing fighting games on wifi or on cup-and-string internet, and those guys have pretty much been filtered out by now. Japan to USA blows but that's expected, but I haven't had or heard of any problems with people playing cross-country.

That said though they did add in a few stability patches to stop some of the early desyncs in matchmaking so that's nice.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The gameplay lag has absolutely been improved, but matchmaking still takes a while and can occasionally be real weird with balance or bots. It's been improved a ton as a whole though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there a good go-to set of videos for learning how to improve beyond the basics? Just picked this up and it's my first Dissidia. I did the tutorials but I'm still basically figuring out how all of it works in practice, and I don't want to be the dude dragging down my whole team while I figure it out.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you're just starting out, you're gonna be that guy no matter what. If you're looking for more in-depth tutorials, the discord likes this set, but I can't check it for myself right now. For the most part though, the best advice I can give you is don't go off chasing someone and get stuck in a one on one fight or worse, try to stick close to your teammates, and overall play defensively, use your communication options, and try to be aware of what's going on around you and to your teammates, and don't be afraid to step in and help with a combo if you've got a kill shot or you see an ally being attacked. Really though, you're best off finding a group of people who you can play with regularly, preferably on something like skype or the official discord or something.

Other than that, it's just a matter of playing and learning things like spacing and good punishes and stuff like that. That's the sort of thing that you just kind of have to learn firsthand, especially dealing with people guard/step cancelling, but it's just something you learn from experience. There's also a ton of tournament footage out there, usually with pretty good commentary too, so it doesn't hurt to watch what you can find to get a good idea of playstyles and strategies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMhCgHJaRiU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Biggest tips I can say are to keep your eyes on the minimap, change targets frequently, and don't 1v1.

By "don't 1v1" I don't mean "only fight if you outnumber the enemy" I more mean "don't sit and fight one dude for a long time". You can fight one enemy for a little bit, but you're almost always better off switching targets quickly and helping someone else out. Think about it: if you're 1v1 and winning, your combos will usually launch the opponent away. At that point you can either chase that opponent and continue 1v1ing, or go chase ANOTHER opponent and either 2v1 some fool or help out a teammate who's in trouble (and now you've got lots of brave from comboing the first guy). Either way you need to chase after someone, so might as well go with tee situation that gives your team a numbers advantage. On the other hand, if you're 1v1ing and LOSING, then sticking around will probably make the situation worse because you're disadvantaged for whatever reason. At this point it's better to flee towards teammates who can help you out, and you can probably catch an enemy off-guard to recover some brave.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Locke is out, he's tons of fun. However, square somehow managed to gently caress up the net code even worse??? I've played probably half a dozen matches tonight, and all but one of them were laggy or had some kind of dropped inputs/connection problems.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CodfishCartographer posted:

Locke is out, he's tons of fun. However, square somehow managed to gently caress up the net code even worse??? I've played probably half a dozen matches tonight, and all but one of them were laggy or had some kind of dropped inputs/connection problems.

I check this thread every so often to see if the game fixed its poo poo from the beta and feel deeply sad whenever I read something like this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

I check this thread every so often to see if the game fixed its poo poo from the beta and feel deeply sad whenever I read something like this.

Yeah :( such a fun game that's actually getting consistent content, but the net code is just so bad. Queue times are as bad as ever, too.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I haven't noticed laggier matches (Europe) but it definitely seems like less people are playing? Queues take a while.

New character should be revealed soon!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Maybe they just messed with NA servers or something, then? Before this patch my games were mostly fine, with the occasional laggy bit. Now almost every game has at least one time when things slow down, or inputs get dropped, or something similar. I can never be quite sure if hitting R2/L2 will actually change targets properly :shepicide:

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
My experience has always differed slightly from the NA one in this game, but that doesn't mean there aren't some reaaaal bad matches. It just seems really extreme to me, it's either cool and good or it's unplayable and the game hangs (this just hasn't happened in a while). FWIW my internet is pretty good, and I'm in northern europe.

The problem lately is finding the energy and right mood to even queue :( it takes a while and the glamour is really wearing off. Really hope they add something like the old blackjack/arena mode or whatever it was from 012.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I was playing extended matches with friends and randos and they were fine.

That said, man, the group finder is a hell of a thing. Either it's people who've got no idea what they're doing who go down in five seconds with any sort of coordinated effort or monster teams who've got their poo poo really together.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, I was playing extended matches with friends and randos and they were fine.

That said, man, the group finder is a hell of a thing. Either it's people who've got no idea what they're doing who go down in five seconds with any sort of coordinated effort or monster teams who've got their poo poo really together.

My favorite are the times you’re paired up with a profile level 7 and a profile level 14, and against a full team of 100+

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I would play way more Dissidia if straight up half my matches didn't involve three people of similar rank picking on two people of very disparate ranks and an AI like half the time. It's never really any fun being on either end of that, especially when matches can sometimes be more then five minutes apart.

Locke's rad as heck and probably be someone I play on the side, but I've gotten too used to playing goalie for my allied squishies with Firion to give it up. I'd miss all those huge space-controlling buttons, even if I'm sure it'd be nice to actually have a decent HP attack.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Thread made me curious enough to examine my queues. Plat C, marksman, average queue time was between 3-4 minutes. Just a bit too long for me, but comparable to finding a good Dota 2 match back when I still played. But for such short matches it's too much.

Had a ton of gold players on both teams though. Makes me nervous over what the upper ranks look like... also almost every match this evening has had at least one bot. Dunno if I'd say the game is dead per se but the whole experience/flow of online feels pretty bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Like any fighting game past the first month or two, the playerbase is pretty much entirely in custom rooms now. The one and done nature of ranked is less fun than doing long sets anyways, but sometimes I just feel like getting a match or two in.

The discord group finder though is definitely the best way to play and actually learn stuff though.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Sounds like something worth looking into, thanks for that suggestion! Will give it a go next time I have time to play.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Rinoa announced.

The leak's been 3-for-3 so far, so if we go by that, next three characters are XIII-2 Snow, Yuna, and Nag'molada.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

XIII-3 Snow, but yeah.

Also I might actually be interested in Rinoa? I guess it depends on whether Angel Wing is permanent or not after popping it, but I like her moveset, which is a first for me to say about a marksman in this game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It looks like Angel Wing might be a toggle, so you can switch between the two modes (mostly helpful since Angelo is only accessible in normal mode and she's good for sneak/combo attacks).

Agreed that she looks pretty fun and mobile. Almost no team utility like Squall, so you'll have to make up for that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Seems to be EX skill makes her get wings, changing all her regular attacks into similar-behaving magic but draining her health over time. Her down attacks, which are normally angelo attacks, change into more magic. All her magic seems pretty drat strong, too, as the trade-off for draining your health. You can toggle the wings off, but there is a cooldown before you can do so (and before you can use it again). In both forms her projectiles are surprisingly fast, possibly some of the fastest in the game. It will wear off on its own after a short period of time (about 30s?) and takes 1000 hp total. The cooldown after using it seems to be 50s?

Angelo doesn’t deal a shitton of damage, only around 200 - her range is limited but fairly long, and can basically launch straight-up too. Seems useful for surprise sniping and mixing up zoning stuff. Seems like you can chain FROM her into a combo easier than chaining from a combo into her. Angelo can also wall rush, which is hilarious.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Angelo seems to activate so fast it barely matters that the damage is low, the flinch factor would make for some good follow-up for other teammates.

She only has one HP attack, did I get that right? Not that it matters too much since the Meltdown they showed off seemed quite good, also comes out super fast.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

She's got other HP attacks apparently, they just didn't show all of them off. It looks like Meltdown might have a shield/counter trait too?

https://twitter.com/DFFACwiki/status/1016664195599773696

Also apparently the entire non-DLC cast is getting a rework, starting with the oldest characters, so maybe a Squall that doesn't need quite so much team support is in the works. Also some buffs/nerfs were announced which I can't read.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Skanker posted:

Angelo seems to activate so fast it barely matters that the damage is low, the flinch factor would make for some good follow-up for other teammates.

She only has one HP attack, did I get that right? Not that it matters too much since the Meltdown they showed off seemed quite good, also comes out super fast.

I think they just only showed off one - that's what they did with Locke, I believe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The WoL/Terra changes were already known and implemented; Terra in particular got tweaked fairly notably (time to Magic Charge is shorter, overall range/hitstun nerf, Meteor no longer needs a charge, etc.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Datamining from Reddit and Twitch has uncovered a list of Manikins for unreleased/unannounced characters and a closer look at some new unannounced stages.

Not sure how to go about the character list and stages WRT spoilers because some people might care about that but probably not, in either case here's what they found

Characters

Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V)
Tifa (Final Fantasy VII)
Zack (Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core)
Laguna (Final Fantasy VIII)
Vivi (Final Fantasy IX)
Yuna (Final Fantasy X)
Prishe (Final Fantasy XI)
Kam'lanaut (Final Fantasy XI)
Gabranth (Final Fantasy XII)
Snow (Final Fantasy XIII)

Stages

The Dominion of Rubrum (Final Fantasy Type-0)
Lucis (Final Fantasy XV)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Zack and Vivi would make me give the game another shot...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Okay, Kam'lanaut makes way more sense than Nag'molda.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh hell yes that list rules, here's hoping it's legit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They also found a bunch of info for new costumes too: https://pastebin.com/ttSKmsuN

There's apparently similar lists for new HP attacks and weapons but I couldn't find anything in one place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V5YXhWPO8

literally who

He seems to have an interesting gimmick going though, I'll give that to him, but it doesn't seem as interesting as Vayne's is to get me to add him to my rotation despite not knowing or caring who he is, unlike what happened with Vayne.

• Locked thread