Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What's a good way to deal with the bullet sponges? Having to dump a full mag of .38 into the dome of some half naked raider at level 2 really puts a damper on my already tiny ammo supply. (Using Horizon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

What's a good way to deal with the bullet sponges? Having to dump a full mag of .38 into the dome of some half naked raider at level 2 really puts a damper on my already tiny ammo supply. (Using Horizon)

Shoot them in the head.

Like if they aren't dying in two or three hits to the head then something is wrong. Horizon greatly amplifies locational damage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was going to say, "did it install correctly?" because if you are actually shooting them in the head one or two shots should absolutely do the trick.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Is there even a way to see if it was installed correctly? I don't have any other mods that change damage as far as I know, using MO and LOOT for everything.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 23, 2018

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Nalesh posted:

While super finicky and not documented very well at all: Gun Bashing in 3rd Person while standing in front of a humanoid enemy and aiming at their feet can trigger a throw/sweep/push back/nut shot or an out right execution animation. Power attacks made with a melee weapon in 3rd Person can do the same. If you want to practice just save your game, open up the console and use the command "tcai" to turn off combat ai and spawn as many dudes as you want.

Edit: After doing some testing it looks like just double-tapping bash/power attack will trigger the takedowns.

FrostyJones fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 23, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Actually looked at the modlist instead of just letting LOOT do everything, all the horizon esps were really high on the list for some reason even though they should all be near the end afaik?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally yes, that's why they have z_ in front of them. I'd suggest they probably have something overwriting their settings.

You should be able to almost one shot a basic ghoul with .38 if you hit it in the head, for example.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 23, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah that fixed it I think, gdi LOOT, I thought I could rely on you.

Also, are there any good follower mods that are based more on carrying all my poo poo rather than fighting(As in, stay out of the way, wait outside areas, etc), I tried C.A.R.T but god drat it's annoying lugging that thing around.

FrostyJones posted:

While super finicky and not documented very well at all: Gun Bashing in 3rd Person while standing in front of a humanoid enemy and aiming at their feet can trigger a throw/sweep/push back/nut shot or an out right execution animation. Power attacks made with a melee weapon in 3rd Person can do the same. If you want to practice just save your game, open up the console and use the command "tcai" to turn off combat ai and spawn as many dudes as you want.

Edit: After doing some testing it looks like just double-tapping bash/power attack will trigger the takedowns.

Is there a mod that makes this work while in first person? I don't really care if it force switches to 3rd person for the move but it just seems weird to have a thing like this not be usable in first person.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 23, 2018

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Looking for a Player Home recommendation, one that ideally has lots of space not only for crafting, companions, etc. but also for displaying armor, weapons, etc.

In FNV, I remember using a great bunker player home that was really large, with tons of interesting rooms, a big armory / display vault, etc. I'd love to find something similar in FO4, but so far most of the player homes I have seen are really small. I know I can just build my own, but I also know there are some really talented modders out there that can do things I could never dream of. Dauntless looks interesting, but I worry it will feel cramped.

Thanks for any advice!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Is there a mod that makes this work while in first person? I don't really care if it force switches to 3rd person for the move but it just seems weird to have a thing like this not be usable in first person.

TBH after playing with it (because I didn't know it was a feature) it's really janky and I would probably rather it didn't happen, you'll have much better luck just practicing with melee to the point where you can fight people with it, and get yourself one of the heavy high end melee weapons off a super mutant as soon as you can, they hit very hard and can easily kill things in fairly short order. Especially against other melee people it can be extremely efficient.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Kinda wish there were good small melee weapons because a super sledge really does not feel like a sneaky weapon :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Try the tire iron with the blade upgrade. :black101:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Could also grab pickmans blade I guess. Are there any melee mods that have good assassin ish melee weapons without being total edgelords about it?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bladed tire iron is one of my favorites.

There are also standalone shivs by the same guy who did the pipe shotgun: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11601/

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm still having trouble getting over the ammo scarcity in Horizon. I've gotten to level 18 now just fine, but it bothers me that I can, through hard work and careful management, create a reasonable surplus of everything but ballistic ammo. I'm past the point of worrying about food, water, medical supplies, adhesive, wood, concrete, steel, and fertilizer. I can keep power armor repaired and powered nearly 100% of the time. I have enough gun parts to create basically any gun I want. I can even farm the components for energy ammo. But I still have to veeeery carefully manage bullets.

At this point it's actually damaging to immersion. Why do the raiders that just pinned me down with automatic fire have 2 damaged rounds on them a piece? Why are guns worth 40 caps but a box of bullets for the same gun 800? Why isn't there a single way to manufacture smokeless powder? Why even give players the choice of having automatic weapons, or the perks that enhance them? I've played 60 hours so far and I've used an automatic for about 20 minutes of that time. I have 7 undamaged miniguns, but I've found a grand total of 117 5mm rounds in 60 hours . My exploration stat is well over 100 and I've got the scrounger and cap finder perks. What the gently caress?

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Riatsala posted:

I'm still having trouble getting over the ammo scarcity in Horizon. I've gotten to level 18 now just fine, but it bothers me that I can, through hard work and careful management, create a reasonable surplus of everything but ballistic ammo. I'm past the point of worrying about food, water, medical supplies, adhesive, wood, concrete, steel, and fertilizer. I can keep power armor repaired and powered nearly 100% of the time. I have enough gun parts to create basically any gun I want. I can even farm the components for energy ammo. But I still have to veeeery carefully manage bullets.

At this point it's actually damaging to immersion. Why do the raiders that just pinned me down with automatic fire have 2 damaged rounds on them a piece? Why are guns worth 40 caps but a box of bullets for the same gun 800? Why isn't there a single way to manufacture smokeless powder? Why even give players the choice of having automatic weapons, or the perks that enhance them? I've played 60 hours so far and I've used an automatic for about 20 minutes of that time. I have 7 undamaged miniguns, but I've found a grand total of 117 5mm rounds in 60 hours . My exploration stat is well over 100 and I've got the scrounger and cap finder perks. What the gently caress?

Why not break down ammo you're not using and make it into something you use? It's how I keep a healthy supply of 5.56 for my auto Handmade Rifle.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

FrostyJones posted:

Why not break down ammo you're not using and make it into something you use? It's how I keep a healthy supply of 5.56 for my auto Handmade Rifle.

I am, though. Maybe I should focus on fewer weapons? I'm already breaking down all the 9mm, .308 and 7.62 I find. Maybe I should ditch my .38 rifle and 10mm handgun and start breaking down those as well. Hmm.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Riatsala posted:

I am, though. Maybe I should focus on fewer weapons? I'm already breaking down all the 9mm, .308 and 7.62 I find. Maybe I should ditch my .38 rifle and 10mm handgun and start breaking down those as well. Hmm.

You're level 18 and still using a .38 rifle? Even if it's upgraded, that might be your problem. Try upgrading to something with 5.56 or .308 as your main gun (combat rifle, handmade rifle in semi-auto, I think you might be able to rechamber a hunting rifle to use it also). When you can one-shot a raider with a headshot, you save a lot of smokeless powder. :)

edit: I like having Big Jim (pipe wrench with a chance to cripple legs) for hunting, small ghoul encounters, and "suddenly, molerats" situations. It's pretty easy to get early on (it's at Walden Pond), and it's got a good damage-to-WT ratio, especially in Horizon where every WT unit counts.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 23, 2018

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Take a Sniper/Long Rifle with a Medium Scope using .308, .45-70, or 7.62mm. I like a Handmade Rifle for this, bolt actions are too slow for me. Next is a Carbine, something you can switch to full-auto when needed. A Handmade Rifle, a Combat Rifle in 5.56mm or the Tommy in .45 for early game can fill this role. Always take Reflex Sights and Compensators for these.

For being a sneaky boy, I like the N99 in 12.7mm, Long Light Ported Barrel, Reflex Sight, Sharpshooter's Grip, Quick Release Mag, you will be able to fire just about every shot in VATS if needed, switch to full-auto to quietly magdump a harder enemy. Any extra 9mm or 10mm rounds can be used to take out lights. Note that the Suppressed N99 can not use 12.7mm HE rounds, the suppressor effect overrides the HE.

Last is a melee weapon, I like Combat Knives. The nerfed Pickman's Blade is still decently strong.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

is there a mod that lets you have a no fuss connection to other settlements in home plate

id love to just have that be my play house dream house while sim settlements take care of everything else but modifying anything else without having the other 30 settlements workbenches hooking me up is a pain

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

is there a mod that lets you have a no fuss connection to other settlements in home plate

id love to just have that be my play house dream house while sim settlements take care of everything else but modifying anything else without having the other 30 settlements workbenches hooking me up is a pain

Aloot's Home Plate was the mod I used for this, but it also includes an extensive interior redecoration. You can also use Home Plate Expanded if you want to minimise extra features. I stopped using them though when I discovered they aren't compatible with the auto loot mod since they replace the original cell, so you won't be able to automatically send loot back to your Home Plate settlement.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

This mod Seems to do what I want but not sure how compatible it would be with Horizon. I can only find a patch that requires FROST, horizon, and this, not one that just requires this and horizon. I don't know anything about how to make patches, would anyone be willing to make a small patch for those two?

Honestly, I miss reverse pickpocketing paralyzing poisons on people like I did in skyrim :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 23, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
LoL, my active Skyrim character is a Khajit chillusionist specced into Calm, lol. It is fun running around and pacifying everyone. I mean I do have to lay the smackdown on the occasional Draugr, but resto is a real discipline, yo!

Berke Negri posted:

The merchants in DC usually have a good supply of junk to scrap for mods. I actually just had the opposite problem where I dropped a shipment of 50 Aluminum at Home Plate without thinking and forgot to grab it before I headed out. Is Arturo the only vendor in the Commonwealth who sells shipments of Aluminum? But who am I kidding, I spent the first 25 levels mostly walking from place-to-place in Power Armor to conserve fusion cores so I am so totally abnormal wrt Fallout 4, so my sensibilities of what is annoying in Fallout 4 is probably way out of the norm.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I thought the Fallout 4 unofficial patch converting spellings of an american game to the british spelling was about the most asinine mod change there was, but the latest AWKCR that renames the green shirt and combat pants to gray must come close.

It also breaks a bunch of DEF_UI tags.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
"THE QUEEN'S ENGLISH OR NOTHING AT ALL!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Kinda wish there were good small melee weapons because a super sledge really does not feel like a sneaky weapon :v:

Horizon actually does that quite well too, because some bladed weapons like the combat knife and wakazashi have an extra "sharpening" mod, which just gives them a flat damage buff.

Riatsala posted:

I would suggest that generally it is probably better to break down high end ammo and turn it into low end stuff, because higher end bullets use a lot more powder, smaller calibers are generally going to be a lot more available.

I'd also say that in particular, .38 and 5.56 are notably common because most enemies use .38 pipe guns and all turrets drop 5.56 which can be loaded into the hunting rifle for great effect.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 23, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I'd also suggest not underestimating the bolter, while the arrows are a bit annoying to make, they are pretty great from stealth.

Is there a good addon to simsettlements that works with horizon that adds meat? I have a problem with getting food reliably, maybe I'm not using the right recipes, which ones would ya recommend?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 23, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Corsec posted:

Aloot's Home Plate was the mod I used for this, but it also includes an extensive interior redecoration. You can also use Home Plate Expanded if you want to minimise extra features. I stopped using them though when I discovered they aren't compatible with the auto loot mod since they replace the original cell, so you won't be able to automatically send loot back to your Home Plate settlement.

thanks the second one looks like roughly what i want, though i'll probably save it for the next playthrough as it looks like it requires the interior cell to be reset and i'd rather just bother with that on a fresh save

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nalesh posted:

I'd also suggest not underestimating the bolter, while the arrows are a bit annoying to make, they are pretty great from stealth.

Is there a good addon to simsettlements that works with horizon that adds meat? I have a problem with getting food reliably, maybe I'm not using the right recipes, which ones would ya recommend?

I've been seriously struggling to get un-irradiated food so I'd love to hear an answer to this as well. I found a mod that makes the recipes more "realistic" in that it will take less meat to make a meal, but then I realized that if I had that it would invalidate the entire system. The only reason the system works is because I'm struggling to find the food. If it was easy to find, there would be no point. For instance, in New Vegas I killed a few brahmin and looted Goodsprings of Sarsaparilla and then I was set on food and water for literally the entire rest of the playthrough. At that point I wondered why I even bothered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Meat is supposed to be kind of hard to find but I suggest putting as many points into survival as you can, it will allow you to make better recipes and use more types of food.

Generally the best foods are arthropod stew and animal stew, in exotic and large meals respectively, they hydrate and fill a lot of hunger.

To be able to produce them easily, you want to start planting a bunch of the crops they use, once you hit 20 of each, your settlers will start producing them automatically and putting them in your resource storage along with the other stuff horizon can produce like purified water. You can make this even easier by using the special crops under Architect which are designed to count more towards this kind of production.

From there your main issue is meat, meat can be gotten by hunting yourself (put points into hunter to massively improve your meat gather rate) and it can also be gotten by sending settlers on hunting missions from the command table. This requires them to be assigned to a hunter job table and also requires a supply kit. Your settlers will actually produce supply kits if you run a large food and water surplus in your settlements, so you can convert these directly into meat by sending people out to hunt for you.

I'd suggest that as a hint, mirelurk eggs can be ground into exotic ground meat, which can be used to make a lot of recipes. eggs are fairly easy to find as well around many bodies of water, and make an excellent early food source. You can also cook them directly if you have enough survival skills. You can also craft a fishing line with bait, and fish, this can be used to produce more exotic meat.

Try to avoid basic meals, they are not an efficient use of meat resources, large and exotic meals are much better. Also don't try to fill the last bit of hunger, because it takes twice as much food to sate, keep yourself hungry if you're very short on supplies, because it will be easier to keep yourself away from death. Only consider filling up the last bit if you have a large surplus or if you want to use healing items because it will make it more efficient.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 23, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's good stuff. I've been avoiding using ground meat because it seemed like an odd use of resources. Is that a huge mistake?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's good stuff. I've been avoiding using ground meat because it seemed like an odd use of resources. Is that a huge mistake?

Yes enormously, ground meat is probably the most efficient way to use meat, at least if you make large/exotic meals with it. Most recipes will probably use more meat than it grinds into (except possibly some very high end ones like mirelurk queen steaks) if you try to cook them directly, but contrariwise they often come with nice side effects like significant buffs.

Basically to start with, try to plant a whole bunch of corn, razorgrain, and tatoes (and carrots, but they're secondary) as these will allow you to produce a lot of renewable foods. corn and tatoes are used in the two good stews, razorgrain is used to make noodles which have the benefit of requiring no meat at all, so growing shitloads of that can keep you fed too though you'll need a good supply of purified water as well. Carrot razorgrain and tatoes can be used together to make vegetable soup which I would imagine is quite good. Also these can later be used to make vegetable starch with high survival which is very good source of adhesive, provided you also grow some mutfruit. You can use sim settlements plots for these too, the full size agri plots count towards your crop totals for horizon autoproduction too, but horizon's own special plants are more efficient. SS stuff does produce more actual food for settlers though which in turn helps you produce supply kits, so it's swings and roundabout.

After that just shoot every animal you find and rip its guts out because you want as much meat as you can possibly get.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 23, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's awesome. I will start on that right away, hopefully it will take some pressure off. Is there a reliable way to find animals in the wild? Like maybe molerats have a tendency to spawn at X location every now and then, that kind of thing? I feel like I've wasted a lot of meat so far.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I started doing a lot better on food once I looked into ground meat recipes. They're easy to make and have a good return. Make sure you obsessively loot every single animal you kill (even raider dogs) for every scrap of meat you can get. Ignore gristly or diseased meat because that'll just irradiate and possibly infect you.

Also when you go through Vault 114, the pre-war food in there is all preserved and has no radiation. There should be enough to last two or three days at least if you eat every single time the game says you're hungry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's awesome. I will start on that right away, hopefully it will take some pressure off. Is there a reliable way to find animals in the wild? Like maybe molerats have a tendency to spawn at X location every now and then, that kind of thing? I feel like I've wasted a lot of meat so far.

Molerats like garbage heaps and caves :v:

But locations take a while to respawn in horizon, so you can't farm them very easily. As I said mirelurks live near water and their eggs are very good and guaranteed sources of food, just don't be afraid to run away if they come after you, they're very tough if you can't shoot them in their little gribbly head.

chitoryu12 posted:

I started doing a lot better on food once I looked into ground meat recipes. They're easy to make and have a good return. Make sure you obsessively loot every single animal you kill (even raider dogs) for every scrap of meat you can get. Ignore gristly or diseased meat because that'll just irradiate and possibly infect you.

Also when you go through Vault 114, the pre-war food in there is all preserved and has no radiation. There should be enough to last two or three days at least if you eat every single time the game says you're hungry.

Gristly and diseased meat is basically just for composting into fertilizer at the horizon farming workshop (in the architect submenu) because fertilizer is used to improve crop autoproduction in horizon and is a little hard to acquire if you aren't using a scrapping mod.

Oh actually there's also one caveat to meat. Mutant hound meat, it can still be cooked to make antiradiation food, which is incredibly useful given how difficult rad management is in horizon. It might be worth saving that unless you need it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 23, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Gristly and diseased meat is basically just for composting into fertilizer at the horizon farming workshop (in the architect submenu) because fertilizer is used to improve crop autoproduction in horizon and is a little hard to acquire if you aren't using a scrapping mod.

Oh actually there's also one caveat to meat. Mutant hound meat, it can still be cooked to make antiradiation food, which is incredibly useful given how difficult rad management is in horizon. It might be worth saving that unless you need it.

I have Scrap Everything so if anything I have too much fertilizer. Clearing out dead grass, brambles, mole rat mounds, and other miscellaneous nature stuff gives me fertilizer until I've got literally thousands of units.

Scrap Everything should be considered a vital quality of life mod as long as you're careful not to accidentally scrap the road or something. Along with getting so many more resources, you can finally sweep the floors, pull out the dead grass from sidewalk cracks, tear down the old Sanctuary houses to replace with Sim Settlement neighborhoods, and clean out corpses.

I still don't know how Bethesda thought it was fine to make corpses and skeletons unscrappable. Do people in the post-apocalypse want to live with the skeleton of a dude who killed himself in the corner of their living room?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Some of the skeletons you can't even pick up because they are too heavy. I remember shooting at them in Starlight Drive-In with the exploding shotgun Spray and Pray to move them out of the way.

Can't pick up a skeleton because it's too heavy but I can pick up a recently-deceased raider wearing 60lbs of metal armor, cool!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Otacon posted:

Some of the skeletons you can't even pick up because they are too heavy. I remember shooting at them in Starlight Drive-In with the exploding shotgun Spray and Pray to move them out of the way.

Can't pick up a skeleton because it's too heavy but I can pick up a recently-deceased raider wearing 60lbs of metal armor, cool!

Easier to shove them away with a tire.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That or Disable them in the console. It's the same with the bollards at Starlight, but when I thought about it from a respectful angle instead of assuming it was developer incompetence or negligence, it seems like good low hanging fruit to entice people into modding. I realized that about the boarded up houses too... they explicitly leave that space for modders. It's actually a great way to build a game that comes with a creation kit attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

chitoryu12 posted:

I have Scrap Everything so if anything I have too much fertilizer. Clearing out dead grass, brambles, mole rat mounds, and other miscellaneous nature stuff gives me fertilizer until I've got literally thousands of units.

There is a version of Scrap Everything as an option in the Horizon installer, and that one is tweaked for it, it'll give you Packing Material instead of fertilizer for random bushes and leaves for example.