Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You sound like a fun dude to chill with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I like to chill with guys with intelligent thoughts on movies so yeah he does

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fair point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

verdigris murder posted:

Totally dude. The last decade or so have really brought forward the excellence in this art form: long takes partnered with decent fight choreography and affordable cg stuff sounds like a low bar but it’s actually harder to do well.

Huh

It's because these films rely on the physical talent and courage of the actors. And as much as people go bonkers for their favourite MCU star, there are a lot more people who can quip likably on a green screen than can do what Scott Adkins does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

It managed to portray latinos as something other than menaces or victims

No it doesn't.

pospysyl posted:

I think it actually does a much better job at avoiding endorsing Josh Brolin and Sr. Sicario's actions.

The film depicts their plan as failing only because their spineless boss lost his nerve.

It's exactly the film the first one is mocking.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The plan in Sicario was to murder a bunch of people and hope that causes more people to get murdered, so they could murder some guy who was sort-of related to a homegrown suicide bomber cel.

Great movie with good messages. It says that America is retarded and incapable of creating any change besides destabilization and violence. People who think its a glorification of Special Operatives and their mission are actually just retarded too

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The plan in Sicario was to murder a bunch of people and hope that causes more people to get murdered, so they could murder some guy who was sort-of related to a homegrown suicide bomber cel.

Great movie with good messages. It says that America is retarded and incapable of creating any change besides destabilization and violence. People who think its a glorification of Special Operatives and their mission are actually just retarded too

It also specifically describes that destabilisation and violence as 'working'

Right up until the bosses lose their nerve. Calling it subversive or critical is assuming a level of awareness and irony not really present in the text itself.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Lol the secretary of defence says " terrorism has a new definitiom: any political group which uses violence to achieve its objectives" and then asks some spec ops to kidnap a child and murder some people in order to start a cartel war.

Yeah bro it probably worked, to create violence that wasnt solving any general problem. Josh Brolin even knows, the cartels are just making business and arent going to be scared off by some extra violence. Hes just a violent goon who isnt capable of anything else. Check how was going to execute the teenage girl but has a change of heart and "saves" her by murdering 10 guys and leaving her shellshocked and nonresponsive.

You need a voicepoint character to ineffectually tut-tut the CIA spooks or something?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 23, 2018

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I'm in the middle of watching Die Hard for the first time. So far it's been great.

I paused the movie cuz I wanted to mention how cold Ellis' death was. The viewer is expected to think he's totally sold out John, but he instead told Hans that they were old friends, not that John is the boss' husband. When we first see the character he's a real sleezy 80's businessman stereotype, and we already assume he's not gonna make it to the end of the flick. Hans kills him regardless of if he believes John and Ellis are friends tho. At this point in the film Hans has changed his tone progressively while still maintaining his composure. He gives impossible demands to the deputy chief pretty much because he can.

Was totally expecting Argyle to die early on to prompt John into being an action hero and instead John didn't need any probing to strangle a guy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Lol the secretary of defence says " terrorism has a new definitiom: any political group which uses violence to achieve its objectives" and then asks some spec ops to kidnap a child and murder some people in order to start a cartel war.

Yeah bro it probably worked, to create violence that wasnt solving any general problem. Josh Brolin even knows, the cartels are just making business and arent going to be scared off by some extra violence. Hes just a violent goon who isnt capable of anything else. Check how was going to execute the teenage girl but has a change of heart and "saves" her by murdering 10 guys and leaving her shellshocked and nonresponsive.

You need a voicepoint character to ineffectually tut-tut the CIA spooks or something?

The only person who criticises anything the CIA does is the one coded as the spineless, politically motivated boss.

Again, you're looking at it from your own perspective, not the film's. You know that what they're asking Brolin to do is insane and wouldn't accomplish anything. What in the film says that?

Remember that this is a film where Brolin murders a guy's family members to get information out of him and it absolutely works and is never mentioned again. It's also a film where people smuggling is how the cartels make the most money and a crime boss says 'we have to get these migrants across.' And a film where the cartels are actively smuggling suicide bombers across (who are crossing the border with an armed bomb) It's absolutely a fantasy film.

The soccer mum driving the getaway vehicle is a great touch, and i really wish the rest of the film was the one that that character popped in from. That film was probably pretty good.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 23, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Hmmm, amon goeth seems to enjoy his work, why doesn't this movie condemn the holocaust???

If you are too dumb to follow through on any thought while watching an movie, or so mistrusting of other people that you must assume they are also too stupid to watch a movie about spooks murdering people and really understand, its good that you don't review movies or make them?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 23, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Hmmm, amon goeth seems to enjoy his work, why doesn't this movie condemn the holocaust???

This is a really loving stupid comparison. Think about it for a few minutes. Think about the viewpoint characters in the two films. Think about how each character is presented and who we're invited to sympathise with. And also the literal events in each movie.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I sympathized quite a lot with the angry and terrified teenage girl who was abducted several times and forced to witness murders for an esoteric government plot

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I sympathized quite a lot with the angry and terrified teenage girl who was abducted several times and forced to witness murders for an esoteric government plot

I sympathised with the iraqi woman and child that are shot to death in the first scene of American Sniper. Doesn't make that movie any less reprehensible. Because that's me (and you) having a sane response to a really stupid movie that cares far more about the tactica operator who had to make that hard call.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
No I think Sicario 2 makes a much bigger point of condemning tactical black ops operating services than the first movie, and I appreciate it a lot

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 23, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No I think Sicario 2 makes a much bigger point of condemning tactical black ops operating services than the first movie, and I appreciate it a lot

Well, expand on that. What in the film condemns them? Events, dialogue, imagery? I'm genuinely curious.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Well, expand on that. What in the film condemns them? Events, dialogue, imagery? I'm genuinely curious.

I've already listed a few moments, also the kidnapping scheme becomes completely pointless by the end of the movie and Josh Brolin doesn't haven't any sort of answer to it. Yes, he claims the plan was working, but the information he just got "the bombers were Americans who didn't actually cross the border" makes it 100% stupid and inconsequential. He was clearly lashing out because he didn't get to make the decision

The US government gives a big fat budget, and Josh Brolin hires some spooks from some guy in a suit and cuts a deal worth millions over a handshake and wine. All other cash in the movie comes in the form of some loose bills, and one awe-inspiring price of $1000.

The defense secretary is mostly a bag of ironic dialogue "we are not afraid of your bombs, but you will be afraid of the full-force of the American military!!!" but the spooks decide to "we got to make it look like the cartels did it!", so they just shoot people and take their families hostage.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Die Hard loving owned. 5 stars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I've already listed a few moments also the kidnapping scheme becomes completely pointless by the end of the movie and Josh Brolin doesn't haven't any sort of answer to it. Yes, he claims the plan was working, but the information he just got "the bombers were Americans who didn't actually cross the border" makes it 100% stupid and inconsequential. He was clearly lashing out because he didn't get to make the decision

The US government gives a big fat budget, and Josh Brolin hires some spooks from some guy in a suit and cuts a deal worth millions over a handshake and wine. All other cash in the movie comes in the form of some loose bills, and one awe-inspiring price of $1000.

The defense secretary is mostly a bag of ironic dialogue "we are not afraid of your bombs, but you will be afraid of the full-force of the American military!!!" but the spooks decide to "we got to make it look like the cartels did it!", so they just shoot people and take their families hostage.

All you've done is list the events of the movie. Everything you typed is a scene that you might also find in Forsyth's 'the Cobra' or 'Clear and Present Danger' and, in fact, several of them are there. None of them are inherently critical of the tactical operator fantasy

I tried to write what i think the film was saying, but the more i thought about it, the less i could actually nail down any coherent statement, because the film doesn't really make one either way. I mean, yeah, the spineless bosses pull the plug, but Brolin squares up anyway and...rescues the girl? aborting his own op even though leaving her there would have actually completed it? His motives, position and goals are never clear. Neither are Del Toro's. Again, I think, with a bit of tweaking, it could have made a statement, but at best, it's a seriously half assed critique that spends way more time fetishising tactical bullshit than criticising it.

Also, again, they keep describing what Brolin does as 'working' or 'effective' and never really show otherwise.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Having seen MI:1 a few months back and reading about the treatment of Jim Phelps, does it mean that Tom Cruise basically bought out the franchise and inserted his own character to supplant one of the TV show's recurring (if not main) characters, basically hijacking it into his own thing? Were people not angry at this back then?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Peter Graves and Martin Landau were upset enough about it that they refused to appear in the movie when they were asked.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Peter Graves and Martin Landau were upset enough about it that they refused to appear in the movie when they were asked.

Fair enough.

I feel that if it were made today, the backlash would have been huge.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just got back from The Equalizer 2: Equalize This. I rate it an Adequate Dad Action Movie/10; Pedro Pascal (who you might remember as Oberyn Martel) is in this movie as a veteran CIA Agent and I couldn't help thinking the whole time they tried to make him look like Jeremy Renner..... or maybe, if you look at him right, he DOES look like Jeremy Renner. The final action setpiece has a creative conceit that's really good although they are nowhere near as ridiculous with the Home Alone poo poo as in the first one (Denzel's character actually picks up and uses guns in this one....); it is definitely the best Lyft ad I have seen so far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schneider Heim posted:

Fair enough.

I have no doubt that older fans disliked it - I know Payndz, who sometimes posts in this thread, was a fan of the original run and has said he doesn't like the first movie because he isn't a fan of Jim Phelps's characterisation. The thing is, we didn't have all the social media and so forth we have now in 1996.

In any event, I have to imagine that in 1996, it must have been Tom Cruise fans and action movie fans who were the main target audience rather than Mission: Impossible fans. I don't think it had a huge amount of cachet; there had been an attempt at reviving it for television (with Peter Graves reprising his role as Phelps) in the 1988-1989 season and it was a bit of a failure.

Anyway, recently I watched A Bittersweet Life. It was pretty good. Maybe it was more a crime thriller than a straight-up action movie but it had some good shootout scenes. I've got some other Japanese and Korean (mostly Japanese) movies on my list to watch at some stage: Shiri, Score, Gonin, Black Angel, Breaking News and some others I saw in a "Customers also bought..." list on Amazon. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 23, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

I just got back from The Equalizer 2: Equalize This. I rate it an Adequate Dad Action Movie/10; Pedro Pascal (who you might remember as Oberyn Martel) is in this movie as a veteran CIA Agent and I couldn't help thinking the whole time they tried to make him look like Jeremy Renner..... or maybe, if you look at him right, he DOES look like Jeremy Renner. The final action setpiece has a creative conceit that's really good although they are nowhere near as ridiculous with the Home Alone poo poo as in the first one (Denzel's character actually picks up and uses guns in this one....); it is definitely the best Lyft ad I have seen so far.

Yeah It was decent enough. Quite slow and ponderous but Denzel carries it.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

bob human being posted:

Die Hard loving owned. 5 stars.

Assuming you haven't yet seen any of the sequels, watch 2 and 3 then stop. Don't let 4 and 5 taint their memory.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
So aside from the story/ideology stuff people are arguing about, how does Sicario 2 hold up in terms of cinematography and editing (and score for that matter)? The way it was crafted was the main draw of the first for me, despite some issues I had with the plot. Interested to know if this tries to imitate or it's doing it's own thing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

So aside from the story/ideology stuff people are arguing about, how does Sicario 2 hold up in terms of cinematography and editing (and score for that matter)? The way it was crafted was the main draw of the first for me, despite some issues I had with the plot. Interested to know if this tries to imitate or it's doing it's own thing.

It's competent. There's no real bad shots, but there's nothing on par with the night vision sequence in the first. I'm tempted to say something like 'it's workmanlike.' Every shot is fine, but is also done the way you'd expect it to be don.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Assuming you haven't yet seen any of the sequels, watch 2 and 3 then stop. Don't let 4 and 5 taint their memory.

Hell, I’d say Die Harder is even kind of “meh” outside of like two set-pieces and William Sadler doing naked karate.

With A Vengeance is great, though.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Fart City posted:

Hell, I’d say Die Harder is even kind of “meh” outside of like two set-pieces and William Sadler doing naked karate.

Actually watching 3 first would probably be better given the ties to the first film (plus I agree, it is the second best Die Hard).

I don't mind 2 though, at least it follows the same theme of "John caught in the wrong place at the wrong Christmas time".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Actually watching 3 first would probably be better given the ties to the first film (plus I agree, it is the second best Die Hard).

I don't mind 2 though, at least it follows the same theme of "John caught in the wrong place at the wrong Christmas time".

2 has the Home Alone 2 problem, where it's basically just a copy paste of the first movie. And inferior, at that. It kind of makes the movie worthless.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Fart City posted:

The plot to Die Harder only works if you believe that there is only 1 airport within 2 hours flight time of D.C.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Schneider Heim posted:

Fair enough.

Not really, because much like 1996, nobody gives a poo poo about Mission Impossible as a "property". It was basically worthless then, and when Cruise steps away it will be worthless again.

The theme song was by far the most recognizable thing about Mission Impossible. It's a show that would almost be 100% forgotten by now if not for the movie series, and it was mostly already forgotten by 1996. The movie was almost totally marketed as "Tom Cruise in a big blockbuster spy movie" and really not specifically to fans of the show at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The single weirdest thing about Die Hard 2 is Colm Meaney's cameo where he is doing an English accent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

The theme song was by far the most recognizable thing about Mission Impossible. It's a show that would almost be 100% forgotten by now if not for the movie series, and it was mostly already forgotten by 1996. The movie was almost totally marketed as "Tom Cruise in a big blockbuster spy movie" and really not specifically to fans of the show at all.
Martin Landau called the first one "an abomination"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The single weirdest thing about Die Hard 2 is Colm Meaney's cameo where he is doing an English accent.

I don't know, the T1000 saying "a sitting duck!" is up there

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Martin Landau called the first one "an abomination"

Two years later Martin Landau would go on to become "that old guy from the X-files movie" to a new generation of filmgoers. I guess what I'm getting at is nobody cared what Martin Landau had to say.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I had forgotten it, but I gotta say, the karate fight scene in Die Hard 2 looks pretty drat good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Two years later Martin Landau would go on to become "that old guy from the X-files movie" to a new generation of filmgoers. I guess what I'm getting at is nobody cared what Martin Landau had to say.

He had won an Oscar two years before, thus underlining that no matter what acclaim or distinction you are able to achieve as an actor, you'll always be remembered for whatever sci-fi or superhero movie you've done most recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I remember Martin Landau as the guy who took MTV VJ Kennedy aside and gave her a dressing-down for being a terrible journalist at the M:I premier

She didn't know why he was there and asked him why