Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

I wonder if they'll be able to get Addams Family, TNG and Doctor Who. Weren't these three in some kind of legal hell because of all the licences?
There are a lot of different licenses to juggle for those due to actor likenesses (Raul Julia's estate was apparently a real stopping point for quite a while), music rights etc. etc. But like I said earlier, Zen has a lot of experience working with large rights holders like Disney from working on their original tables, so they know how that game is played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well I installed FX3 and the beta Williams tables, and was quickly reminded of how much I suck at Fish Tales.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

tell that to the jurassic park music

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
People on digitalpinballfans are reporting that the flippers in Zen are a bit farther apart than in TPA. That means even more stdms on fish tales.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Terminally Bored posted:

People on digitalpinballfans are reporting that the flippers in Zen are a bit farther apart than in TPA. That means even more stdms on fish tales.

Even shorter than the Lightning Flippers they normally come installed with?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Here's to hoping pricing isn't tooooo bad.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

zen isnt bad with sales like farsight at least

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I've never played FX3 before, which ones of the existing tables are worth buying, and which ones should be avoided at all cost?

Like other people have said, V12 and Civil War are absolute garbage.

I'd suggest Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles which has Avengers, World War Hulk, Fear Itself and Infinity Gauntlet and also the Sci-Fi Pack which has Mars, Paranormal, and Earth Defense. I think these are all solid tables, and WWH and Mars are some of my favourites. Besides that, pick up what IPs you like, and wait for sales. Zen has their packs on for 50-80% off quite regularly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, after playing the very satisfying beta, I'm fully on board with Zen taking over the Williams license. They're a good developer, they put things out with regularity, they have decent sales and great licenses, and it looks like they're committed to making the real tables feel reasonably like real pinball.

Pinball Arcade was fine when that's all we had, guess it's time to move on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Doubles League Update:

We're in first place going into week 7/10. :stare:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Sigh.

Started up "Rule the Universe"* for the first time ever last night. Holy crap - going to kill one of my white whales and beat Attack from Mars. It's so basic - everything is lit and worth tons of points! The ball save stays on for a long rear end time. I've never NOT beaten the mode on TPA...

I immediately can't miss the saucer. Ball after ball straight up the middle. Uhhhhhh. Crap. Things got jammed up and the machine stopped kicking them out. You'd hear it try now and then. but the VUK wasn't strong enough to eject them. Machine would go idle for a bit then go into ball search mode which would get a single ball to eject. Eventually I would get one ball at a time, but the ball save had long since ended. And for some reason, the saucer would still not kick multiple balls out at once. Essentially turned it into a one ball at a time wizard mode instead of a 4 ball chaos fest. Didn't even come close to racking up the needed 5B points. Fell about 2.5B short.

Nabbed #1 non grand champ on the machine with 26B, but didn't really beat it. That sucked.

**Full disclosure - This was kinda bullshit anyway. The Saucer was repeatedly awarding lock/light lock shots for saucer hits. I didn't collect the super jackpot needed to light "Rule the Universe" until my fifth multiball. (It's always the bitch of the bunch for me.) Once Mars was destroyed, starting multiballs was as easy as repeated shots up the middle. Most hits would give you the victory lap 100M award, but every 3rd or 4th hit would progress you towards the next mutiball.

I still would have taken a picture of the machine saying I had won though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's a drat pity, it always sucks when you get robbed by mechanical issues.

Finishing Rule The Universe is so drat satisfying too.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

That's a drat pity, it always sucks when you get robbed by mechanical issues.

Finishing Rule The Universe is so drat satisfying too.

Like I said - It wouldn't really have counted considering the light lock on a saucer hit thing, but drat. The people watching sure as Hell didn't seem to give a poo poo.

Had only previously even lit "Rule the Universe" once. Completely legit, but then flailed like an idiot for a ball and a half, suddenly incapable of hitting the scoop to start it. That was 100X worse.

I know I'm a good enough player to pull it off, but my typical decent game usually has one blue light evading me. Either the super jackpot or the 5 way combo. Oh well. Some day I'll get that thing done.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I meant more the visuals when you finish it, legit or not. :)

And yes, that blue insert is like a ball repellant. As soon as it lights up it becomes impossible to hit the scoop.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's me with Creature from the Black Lagoon, I still haven't gotten the Super Jackpot because I go all fumbles as soon as I get the first jackpot and can't make the snackbar again to save my life before I lose one of the balls, without fail (success?).

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MorgaineDax posted:

Like other people have said, V12 and Civil War are absolute garbage.

I'd suggest Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles which has Avengers, World War Hulk, Fear Itself and Infinity Gauntlet and also the Sci-Fi Pack which has Mars, Paranormal, and Earth Defense. I think these are all solid tables, and WWH and Mars are some of my favourites. Besides that, pick up what IPs you like, and wait for sales. Zen has their packs on for 50-80% off quite regularly.

Years ago I spent a lot of time on the starter tables and got to enjoy playing V12 to some degree, but it certainly plays badly when you first give it a go. Civil War, on the other hand, remained terrible.
I enjoyed Hulk, but the constant vocal callouts are obnoxious. Your other picks are good, although if you are a mode completionist then Mars will make you pop a blood vessel.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Clouseau posted:

The Munsters is 100% baffling to me, even with the knowledge that the buying audience is overpaid middle managers who despise their wives and lack any aesthetic taste.

I don't get it either. I figured they'd be shaky on the theme considering how Batman 66 bombed. But there is apparently a ton of hype. I guess I'm just not old enough to get it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Munsters is... meh. What I'd actually like to see is a new Addams Family that's totally redesigned from the ground up by Pat Lawlor, based on the 1960's TV series instead of the 90's movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

e: first ever double-post

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Gromit posted:

Years ago I spent a lot of time on the starter tables and got to enjoy playing V12 to some degree, but it certainly plays badly when you first give it a go. Civil War, on the other hand, remained terrible.
I enjoyed Hulk, but the constant vocal callouts are obnoxious. Your other picks are good, although if you are a mode completionist then Mars will make you pop a blood vessel.

The callouts are half the reason I love World War Hulk so much.

"Hulk's buildin' somethin'! An arena??"

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Niwrad posted:

I don't get it either. I figured they'd be shaky on the theme considering how Batman 66 bombed. But there is apparently a ton of hype. I guess I'm just not old enough to get it.

I think BM66 has turned around recently since the code updates have been extremely well received, but I'm not 100% sure.

But yeah, that's a far stronger license - I'd assume. I always assumed it was an also-ran Addams Family knockoff. But as other people in the thread suggested if it was an Addams 2.0 (think about Sega's Twister being a slightly modded Whirlwind) that might be neat. Or if Gomez did it and it was just Monster Bash 2.0.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Monster bash 2.0 just needs to be monster cereal no one steal this idea from me.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

Monster bash 2.0 just needs to be monster cereal no one steal this idea from me.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees. Recently cereal monsters got a board game, so why not?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monster Bash is the only thing I need asap, I can wait for everything else to get carried over. MB is absolutely my favorite table ever. Though it would also be cool if the movie Spiderman table made an appearance later on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I thought MB was already was going to get a re-release like Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness did?

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 6, 2018

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah Monster Bash is getting a rerelease by that same group.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MorgaineDax posted:

The callouts are half the reason I love World War Hulk so much.

"Hulk's buildin' somethin'! An arena??"

To be fair, I'm a grumpy old man who isn't a big fan of superheroes so I'm probably not the target audience. Strangely, the speech on Ms Splosion Man makes me laugh, and it should be infuriating beyond belief.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Terminally Bored posted:

I wonder if they'll be able to get Addams Family, TNG and Doctor Who. Weren't these three in some kind of legal hell because of all the licences?
On top of that, they won't be able to get away with Kickstarting them.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

So how do you get the Williams tables on Zen?

I downloaded it on Steam but there isn't anything Williams there, just News of it.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

So how do you get the Williams tables on Zen?

I downloaded it on Steam but there isn't anything Williams there, just News of it.

You just have to opt into the beta.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Y'all making GBS threads on V12 and yet no mention of Tesla.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
You can actually see what's happening on Tesla tbqh, the lanes are visible. No such luck with V12.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

If anyone is in the Fort Wayne area we are doing our launch party on the 21st. Zombie Yeti is coming out again and I'm trying to get the brewery to do a chimichanga food special for the night.

I'm loving the game so far, it has a very understandable ruleset and interesting shots. I'm having a hell of a time getting the multiplier shot dialed in but otherwise everything seems tight, but fair. The music and artwork are fantastic and this seems like the first time they've really tried to use the LCD screen creatively. Up until now it's either been movie clips or kinda lovely animations. These hand rendered 90s fighting game animations kick rear end and I'm really hoping they have the HD 4th wall breaking update ready by the party. Either way it's a purebred shooters table and probably the best location game they've made in years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

We’re in midland on the 16th which is when every other one in Michigan is :/
Can’t make Friday in Fort Wayne but it sounds like a great event.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nothing in Eastern Canada at all?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

We’re in midland on the 16th which is when every other one in Michigan is :/
Can’t make Friday in Fort Wayne but it sounds like a great event.

Nice, I was born in Midland, I’ll have to stop in and check the place out next time I visit family in Bay City. How’s the scene up there?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nothing in Eastern Canada at all?

If you're by Toronto, Cabin Fever has one on location already. No launch party, but they have a league starting next Wednesday.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
They're going to Eugene and Portland, ME twice, but nothing in Portland proper?

KevinSorboDisappointed.gif

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lone Goat posted:

If you're by Toronto, Cabin Fever has one on location already. No launch party, but they have a league starting next Wednesday.

Ew, Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

Nice, I was born in Midland, I’ll have to stop in and check the place out next time I visit family in Bay City. How’s the scene up there?

Growing. We had a huge league that had to be shut down and we’re having some trouble getting some of the old timers back.
There’s a good core group though.