Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

So, addendum:

This thing actually gets so much grosser than I initially thought. Don't read it!

Yeah, unsurprisingly, the manga with "slave magic" in the title where the two female leads get unremovable slave collars slapped on them by accident as basically the first thing that happens in the story is kind of icky. There's a later character who is basically indefensible on any grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ban the written word

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Namtab posted:

Ban the written word

How else am I supposed to establish that I'm smarter than a teenage boy huh?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Vengarr posted:

The total lack of self-awareness in this particular genre kinda blows me away sometimes.

Death March had a scene where the protagonist picked up some nameless demi-human slaves, and he instantly named the cat girl “Tama” and the dog girl “Pochi”. Basically, Kitty and Spot. Was this meant to highlight his callous and flippant nature? His fundamental mistake of not seeing them as equals to him?

Nah, the author just has no imagination and thought it was awesome. Everyone loves it and it’s never brought up again.

I thought they named themselves that, and he just kinda went with it. I could be misremembering, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Liver Disaster posted:

How else am I supposed to establish that I'm smarter than a teenage boy huh?
You fight dirty, like Kazutrash. How is this hard? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Wk2J_FEWk

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I thought they named themselves that, and he just kinda went with it. I could be misremembering, though.

Was it the anime you watched? If so, I can certainly see why you'd remember it that way, given the way the scene plays out, but at the least I think it's strongly implied that he named them himself. He laments how bad he is at choosing names.

I guess if you want to be charitable about that whole thing, you could say they were just happy to get names a step above "Dog", "Cat" and "Lizard"?

The Evil Thing fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 19, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Evil Thing posted:

Did you watch the anime?

It's been a minute. The show was pretty bad, but I do have to say that I appreciated that the main guy had every opportunity to be a sleazeball and actively avoided it.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Takoluka posted:

It's been a minute. The show was pretty bad, but I do have to say that I appreciated that the main guy had every opportunity to be a sleazeball and actively avoided it.

Sorry, I probably didn't phrase that question very well. I wasn't actually trying to sound like an rear end in a top hat. :shobon:

Anyway, yeah. The fact that he recognised his "charges" as children and treated them as such was a relief.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Hot take: best crossover would be with oldschool isekai, like El-Hazard or Magic Knight Rayearth.

Or with Slayers if non-isekai is okay, to contrast against another example of "D&D party as they actually are rather than as DM wishes they were".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Hot take: best crossover would be with oldschool isekai, like El-Hazard or Magic Knight Rayearth.

Or with Slayers if non-isekai is okay, to contrast against another example of "D&D party as they actually are rather than as DM wishes they were".

Megumin and Lina. In the same room.

I see you're not a fan of there being a planet.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man I want another season of Slayers...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no matter how the subject was couched, it was still a guy deciding to keep slaves instead of freeing them. having the child slaves protest that remaining as slaves would be so much more convenient doesn't make it better! convenience is not a valid reason for possessing sentient beings as property!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mulderman posted:

A new Novel is coming, so a new season may come eventually as well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no matter how the subject was couched, it was still a guy deciding to keep slaves instead of freeing them. having the child slaves protest that remaining as slaves would be so much more convenient doesn't make it better! convenience is not a valid reason for possessing sentient beings as property!

It's been a while since I watched the show, but one of the justifications was that being a slave to a human was better socially and legally than being a free demihuman/foreigner.

But then he still put them up in stables instead of proper accommodation (because the inn wouldn't let him but still).

And he also slept with the two human slaves that he bought (because they forced their way into his bed but still).

The character's own actions were pretty fine, he was just too stupid or lacking in determination to talk his way past problem one, and not clear enough to get past problem two. And that's where the weird, dumb and lazy power fantasy comes into play, alongside the aforementioned poor naming scheme. It's less fault of the bland protagonist with good intentions, but far more the fault of the dumb and bad author.

For a manga/LN/WN that handles slavery well (mostly by killing the slavers a lot) - Sword Dad (Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita), about a guy who reincarnates as just a straight up sentient sword, the person who finds him is a child slave, he assumes guardianship of her and makes sure she doesn't get killed, but she's also very capable of protecting herself and acting alone (mostly including killing slavers a lot) - is real good, much more worth discussion than Death March (even if that's far from the worst, it's just sloppy and halfhearted) and shows exactly why Kazuma should've brought curry into the new world rather than kotatsus and katanas.

We need Kazuma to die again and for his soul to inhabit that Mitsurugi guy's sword. Sword reincarnations are good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
except the mc of death march is so ridiculously overpowered that he can do whatever he wants. those flimsy excuses for why the 'hero' would own slaves simply do not work. that he keeps them as pets rather than for labor also does not make the situation better.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sword Dad is a very good isekai and I hope it gets an anime.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

That wasn’t my issue with it. Deciding to keep people as slaves because “eh, can’t be assed to care” is a perfectly fine character moment. It doesn’t even disqualify someone from being a hero or protagonist to root for. Characters having flaws and blind spots is fine and wonderful. Authors having flaws and blind spots and letting them bleed into their work is not so good.

Death March’ adaptations retconned the self-deprecating “wow I am not good with names” thing after the original web novel author got made fun of for his terrible naming sense. I feel bad for singling him out because he isn’t a creeper or anything (that protagonist is a saint), he just lacks the self-awareness that good authors have. Presumably the lack of an editor is a big part of why this sort of thing comes up so often.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Doesn't the Death March protagonist free the slaves and turn them into retainers as soon as he gains a title. And while you can disagree with the reasoning, having freed demi humans being targets for slavers to kidnap means it does make plot sense to keep them as slaves until they are strong enough to not worry anymore. He does power level them to a stupid extent later on so that's not a concern anymore.

That said it's a pretty stupid power fantasy, but what isekai isn't, and the subversion of that is what makes konosuba so funny.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Mulderman posted:

:same:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd totally settle for another movie. Bonus points if naaga finally clashes with the whole group.

e: also, I hope it happens before hayashibara retires, I'm sure they can find someone who'll do just as great a job but it wouldn't be the same

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if I am transported to another world, my claim to fame will be katsu curry

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

unless they already have katsu curry, in which case I’ll move onto wireless communications or transistors

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I feel like other worlds never have noodles, so I would make a noodle house with various soups and pastas. Everyone loves noodles.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Truga posted:

e: also, I hope it happens before hayashibara retires, I'm sure they can find someone who'll do just as great a job but it wouldn't be the same

Isnt she basically retired except for Pokemon right now anyways?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
She does a few small roles here and there, but she shows up when it's a recurring role, yeah.
e: she showed up as yamaguchi kappei's wife in rinne, that was a mindblow :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Dunno if it's anyone's cup of tea, but there is in fact a cooking isekai. :suicide:

I fully expect him to invent curry at some point, although the series itself is a lot more sober and grounded than I was expecting.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's not awful. Just a bit slow because after the initial discoveries of how-to-make-food-that-isn't-poo poo, it just gets repetitive in a cultivation-esque manner. More interesting to me are local politics, neighbor politics, regional politics, etc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

here's some quick webnovel guidelines: avoid absolutely anything with slavery in the description or in like the first two chapters, unless it's somehow about how slavery is bad and should be immediately abolished but spoiler alert it never is

for korean webnovels, avoid anything that has "sovereign" or any variation of the word "peerless" in the title, which is almost all of them

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 21, 2018

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
"Sexual cultivation technique" is a good tag too

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

here's some quick webnovel guidelines: avoid all of them because none of the authors are any good in their native language and putting terrible writing through a terrible translator makes it even worse

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Megumin and Lina. In the same room.

I see you're not a fan of there being a planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tn7SiC_Z4I

They would be the best of friends.

Well, Megumin would absolutely adore her, Lina would probably just complain about having yet another sidekick.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Cappy posted:

here's some quick webnovel guidelines: avoid all of them because none of the authors are any good in their native language and putting terrible writing through a terrible translator makes it even worse

that's unfair, some of them are just aggressively mediocre instead of terrible

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Shinjobi posted:

Well, Megumin would absolutely adore her, Lina would probably just complain about having yet another sidekick.

More like Megumin would adore her and Lina would find her to be a rank amateur because of the limitations of focusing on Explosion, then they would fight over that (Lina would win unless Megumin pulled out an insane Jillis-level gambit) and then re-bond over a shared inferiority complex ('Little girl, little breast, scared a dragon from it's nest.')

Kazuma would be scared to death, Darkness wouldn't get past Dragon Slave (by it's name alone,) Gourrey would buy all sorts of useless things from Wiz's store, Aqua and Xellos would not stop fighting and Zelgadis would be the only person trying to do whatever it is they're supposed to do/getting everyone home.

And in the background there would be Chomsuke and Naga, Chomsuke doing what Chomsuke loves to do.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

More like Megumin would adore her and Lina would find her to be a rank amateur because of the limitations of focusing on Explosion, then they would fight over that (Lina would win unless Megumin pulled out an insane Jillis-level gambit) and then re-bond over a shared inferiority complex ('Little girl, little breast, scared a dragon from it's nest.')

Kazuma would be scared to death, Darkness wouldn't get past Dragon Slave (by it's name alone,) Gourrey would buy all sorts of useless things from Wiz's store, Aqua and Xellos would not stop fighting and Zelgadis would be the only person trying to do whatever it is they're supposed to do/getting everyone home.

And in the background there would be Chomsuke and Naga, Chomsuke doing what Chomsuke loves to do.

Poor Yunyun. :smith:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Isekai continuing to be Normal

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1053906694483243008?s=19

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm dumb excited for this stupid thing.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I can no longer tell what's a real Light Novel title and what's a parody anymore.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
"Masato thought he was part of a random survey, but when he gets involved in a secret government scheme, he winds up trapped in the game world. Even more surprising—his mother's there, too!"

oh. okay.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I hope it is the anime of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not much of that has been translated. what little of it there is in english seems like it is about an edgelord who is deeply unhappy that his doting mom has come along on his adventure, and also she is vastly stronger than he is. so while it might swerve into maximum creep territory later it doesn't start that way, at least.