Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

My New California experience:

Downloaded it three times through Nexus Mod Manager.

NMM didn't want to unpack the 7zip properly. Choked at 48% every time. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling NMM a couple times, doesn't matter.

Downloaded and tried using Fallout Mod Manager and couldn't really figure it out.

Finally unzipped everything and installed the files to F:NV manually.

Started the game, watched the intro video, played four seconds of the first area, and of course it crashed to desktop.

Thank you for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

yeah NMM never really handled large files well

have you tried Mod Organizer?

e: also this was on the mod page

New California Modpage posted:

Fallout mod manager and Nexus Mod Manager are broken all to hell. DON'T use them!

also do you have the 4gb patch? It's marked as a vital requirement

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 25, 2018

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The instructions specifically say to not use NMM or FMM but rather MO or Vortex.

e: oops didnt see the edit above

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If this is a prequel, I hope there’s an option where you can intentionally blow up The Divide like an rear end in a top hat so that Ulysses is right about you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Any of you actually played it yet. Waiting for feedback still :(.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Feels like it's trying to be CODout some times. It will throw brush gun armed raiders at you right out of the prologue. I swear I think I missed out on something very important, it feels like you're expected to be cheating pretty hard in order to wade through some of these setpieces.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Any of you actually played it yet. Waiting for feedback still :(.

it is very very obviously a fanmod

my experience of the prologue was a load of loving around and pointless voiceacting in an Unreal Tournament-style cavern, an annoying computer calling me a noob, a weird wasteland chatroom that i nearly got into an endless conversation loop in, and then the game crashed to desktop the first time someone tried to go hostile on me

e: also the game breaks your leg and doesn't fix it for, like, ages

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm not having a terrible time yet, but not very far after getting outside the vault. The amateur voice acting misses more than it hits. I found the sneaking quest hella buggy even using the stealth boy, and eventually reloaded until the one guy somehow triggered his alert status but not the fail quest flag. There are just enough items to get through everything, including healing, but you have to look around a little more than standard Fallout to see it. I also didn't have a problem installing except I aint updated or tried the patches yet.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tbf that all sounds like operation Anchorage.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847773&pagenumber=307

Lots of different takes on it and discussion about it in the other fallout thread for anyone interested in reading some impressions before you bother with it

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There's a bunch of people talking about it in the 76 thread snd apparently it has issues with how women are written in it. Someone described it as having incel vibes between the evil jocks and the bizarre behaviour all the female characters exhibit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well gently caress.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

A Sometimes Food posted:

There's a bunch of people talking about it in the 76 thread snd apparently it has issues with how women are written in it. Someone described it as having incel vibes between the evil jocks and the bizarre behaviour all the female characters exhibit.

Can you link or quote those posts? I wanna see (but not enough to wade through pages of poo poo).

Or do you mean this post:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The voice acting is wildly inconsistent (I understand that they were all volunteers but some of them weren't even trying) and the writing is really rough. At one point all within a few minute span I passed a speech check with a female character so she was my best friend, then suddenly after failing the next one she hated my guts and talked about me stabbing her in the back because I asked if we could get to know each other better. Then later she yelled at me again during a quest for it like I had murdered someone she cared about - before completely forgiving me randomly and saying we're fine now. It's like the writers don't actually know how humans react to any situation or wanted to write everyone bi-polar and just went from hey we're friends to crazy reaction instantly. It wasn't supposed to be comedy, but it was.

Sounds... bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well there's still The Frontier. Can't wait to see how janky an 8 chopper vertibird assault is

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Can you link or quote those posts? I wanna see (but not enough to wade through pages of poo poo).

Or do you mean this post:

Sounds... bad.

If you click on the link I posted all of the discussion is on page 307 and 308 of that thread so you won't have to wade through anything

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Relevant posts

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The first real male companion you meet is a strong, quiet badass ninja that you discover surrounded by a pile of bodies a few minutes after telling you he loves to write and illustrate comic books. The other main male characters from the first few minutes include a gym teacher that shits on you, a star jock that shits on you and breaks your leg, a super smart scientist that is obviously going to be one of the main story NPCs and every other stereotype that type of person would hate/love so I'm gonna guess so. I gotta imagine most of it was written by someone in junior high because woo boy these extreme one side or the other dialog choices. You're basically given "Yeah, ok" or "gently caress you, piece of poo poo" as your two options for every situation. You'll see what I mean if you ever play it.

Dunno why I'm spoiling this garbage but just in case I don't want to ruin this amazing story for anyone.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah so far the two main women characters I've met are a bipolar nutcase and a drunk that only causes problems who you literally call useless in a dialog option. Oh and a third one that I won't spoil the twist you'll see coming at the very start but she also ends up being lovely.

I'm not gonna say the people that made this had issues but

Merrill Grinch posted:

Oh good lord if you just got to the ranger station, please keep playing and then post your reaction to the next few bits.

If you had gone back and rescued the blonde shell-shocked girl in the lower dormitories your nerd-waifu tries to kill her for being a cumdumpster. Yes really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am pretty let down that despite all those years in production they apparently couldn't be bothered to do a rewrite then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well someone said it read like a high schooler wrote it. If it's been in development for seven years it probably was written when he was in high school. Conspiracy Me thinks he didn't do any rewrites because this is his revenge fantasy against the bullies in his youth.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I do like it, but it had so many bugs going on that I felt like I was playing Kingmaker.

That is to say one moment I am enjoying a high-quality game and another it crashes, doesn't progress properly or just straight up throws difficulty curve balls .

I don't know about incel vibes, but then my main issue so far with the writing is that it takes forever to progress the plot. For that matter, it takes forever going from place to place, with too many empty areas with nothing to do. An issue New Vegas never really had, though they had to compress their world a bit.

It isn't bad, but at the same time right now it is almost unplayable due to the bugs. At least for me.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I could handle the bad writing if it didn't feel like I was being herded down a small corridor in scope for the entire first few hours. I mentioned it in the other thread but I felt more like Gordon Freeman on his initial facility tour for a while there than I did like I was playing a fallout game. It continues after you leave the vault and I didn't get to the open world portion before I took a break from it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its a prequel to new vegas alright but plot wtist instead of the couriers origin story its the origin story for dr borous

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
This all sounds appaling and I plan not to touch it with abm barge pole.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

cuntman.net posted:

its a prequel to new vegas alright but plot wtist instead of the couriers origin story its the origin story for dr borous

An origin story for Dr. Borous would make a great horror game: you would spend the day getting bullied (or, more accurately, being obnoxious and rude towards people until they told you to piss off) and the night torturing small animals as you slowly became more and more of a sociopath.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yet another mod that made itself unplayable because the creators just had to record their own terrible voice acting.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Honestly some of the voice acting is pretty good. The intro War narration turning into a football pep talk and the coach's acting in general is done reasonably well. Doctor Maguffin is really bored by his script but honestly so am I and the parts where he remembers to have a bit of emphasis work. Evil mustache raider is also pretty good in his role of chief scenery chewer as he gets through his soliloquy that's like twice as long as it should have been. Unfortunately, the companions -- the people who you actually talk the most to -- are all garbage in every way.

The script is just god-awful though. Good lord its bad.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 25, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sounds like Boulder Dome all over again

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Choosing to start the game in a massively oversized vault and having a bunch of characters call you every name in the book is an odd way to try and draw people in.

I also have half a dozen quests that are seemingly based on talking to certain characters I definitely have not talked to, let alone even meet.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
my favorite part of the mod was when the japanese badass ninja girl with the japanese samurai armor and japanese katana tells you in japanese her origin story of how her ancestors were survivors of a beached chinese submarine from china who found their way to chinatown

this mod sucks

edit: a snake woman also forces you to drink her breastmilk that she produced after having a stillborn child

edit 2: one of the very last things you can do in the game is to tell the final boss to "suck my dick" as you fail a skill check to throw a grenade at them

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 26, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mr. Podunkian posted:

my favorite part of the mod was when the japanese badass ninja girl with the japanese samurai armor and japanese katana tells you in japanese her origin story of how her ancestors were survivors of a beached chinese submarine from china who found their way to chinatown

this mod sucks

edit: a snake woman also forces you to drink her breastmilk that she produced after having a stillborn child

edit 2: one of the very last things you can do in the game is to tell the final boss to "suck my dick" as you fail a skill check to throw a grenade at them

Lmfao I'm looking forward to watching someone contemptuously play through it to make jokes about this stuff

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah it's sadly funny goon LP bait for me at this point.

I really hope the Frontier won't be as bad. It's set the bar for something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How "open world" is New California? Are we talking a Lonesome Road corridor of hell or a Falskaar empty nothingness?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Yet another mod that made itself unplayable because the creators just had to record their own terrible voice acting.

This part at least is understandable. Real voice actors and people who are good at this generally want things like "money" but because this is a mod and not a real game, the people making it won't have much of that to invest. So either you voice act it yourself or you submit an open call for people who are not voice actors but think they are to record lines, which is often not a good idea either.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
the game does eventually put you in a mostly empty open world, but it fakes you out so many times before it does that you'll probably get fed up and quit.

like, as if it weren't bad enough that you have to go through a long, poorly optimized vault segment fixing a computer that literally calls you a "noob", once you make it on solid ground, some bozo kidnaps you and forces you to go jump into a hole in the ground so you're back underground again.

there, you find an out of place skyrim model rip monster and a computer terminal surrounded by literal human poo poo along with a long list of usernames which i'm sure is the mod author exacting some sweet rear end revenge.

when the game lets you respec after the prologue (shortly after you chaturbate with a girl on some website called wastedgirlz.net, but before a bomb blast kills your two neckbeard friends and their token gamer girl friend while they're playing D&D) i legitimately removed the wild wasteland trait i had started with because i was certain it was the cause of the weird, out of place elements of the writing, but it wasn't!

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 26, 2018

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Lmao I was expecting this mod to be garbage after watching the trailer a few months back but this sounds even worse than I’d expected.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

In seven years those devs could have gone to med school and cured cancer by now.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mr. Podunkian posted:

the game does eventually put you in a mostly empty open world, but it fakes you out so many times before it does that you'll probably get fed up and quit.

like, as if it weren't bad enough that you have to go through a long, poorly optimized vault segment fixing a computer that literally calls you a "noob", once you make it on solid ground, some bozo kidnaps you and forces you to go jump into a hole in the ground so you're back underground again.

there, you find an out of place skyrim model rip monster and a computer terminal surrounded by literal human poo poo along with a long list of usernames which i'm sure is the mod author exacting some sweet rear end revenge.

when the game lets you respec after the prologue (shortly after you chaturbate with a girl on some website called wastedgirlz.net, but before a bomb blast kills your two neckbeard friends and their token gamer girl friend while they're playing D&D) i legitimately removed the wild wasteland trait i had started with because i was certain it was the cause of the weird, out of place elements of the writing, but it wasn't!

thank you, and others here for saving me the headache of installing this only to find what you found.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Not having played that new mod, nor with any plan to, I have to ask this based on what people are saying: Why are there gym teachers and jock bullies in the post-apocalypse?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Who else is Betsy Bright going to turn you down for?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ball-lover Richie Marcus, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Rather than touch this flaming rat turd I decided to go spoil the plot.

With out spoiling it for others(though I'd be doing people a service if I did), the plot is utter fan wank garbage.

Just keep playing New Vegas, play the new games and mourn the passing of old fallout in what ever way you can. Just dont play this game expecting anything like New Vegas.

This both justified my irrational hate for both prequels and fan fiction.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 26, 2018