Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

You and Jimmy weren't under the spotlight at all. It was b-'s imminent lunch who prompted Jimmy's mistake. So it's likely that Jimmy was honestly trying to press that discord send button and hit reply to post instead.

Exactly. That first post felt very natural. Which is why I'll have to ##vote Sal too. I'm sorry your scum buddy screwed it up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm going to be so hosed up if its like this intense plan where scum trades themself for Sal unprompted and for no reason or real gain.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Toalpaz posted:

I'm going to be so hosed up if its like this intense plan where scum trades themself for Sal unprompted and for no reason or real gain.

I don’t think it’s that complicated. Jimmy hosed up and outed sal in the process.

Get rekt scum
##vote sal

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 4

SalTheBard (4): Toalpaz, A Sometimes Food, Kitiara, b-minus1

Not Voting (3): CapitalistPig, hambeet, SalTheBard

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 05th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 9 hours.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
An empty chair sits at a desk in the corner of a room. It has a name plate and a few books piled in the corner. Nobody has ever been seen at this desk, but once every few months a book has moved, or several papers are sitting on the desk. Once, years ago, there was a rumor someone saw a half-finished coffee on the desk. It was still warm. There's supposed to be another person in the lab, but they've never been to a lab meeting, never given a presentation, never been in any of the classes. Nobody is quite sure if they even exist. But still, once in a while, those books move.

SalTheBard, Phantom Student, Town-aligned Hider maybe never even existed D4.

It is now N4.

Because the day ended more than 24 hours before deadline, nobody new is ON NOTICE and nobody will be freely lynchable tomorrow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's 9am and Meghan is working diligently at her desk. She feels a new sense of purpose and energy. She knows she's going to get so much work done today, she's going to resubmit this draft and make her committee happy! She can feel it. She turns to a nearby student to express her joy at finally being able to maybe make some progress and finish her drat PhD.

"Oh yeah, I've done this before. Twice, actually. Every time I think I'm done with my education, a new field sparks my interest and I figure hey, what's another 4 or 5 years, I'm sure I'll find a use for it somehow. But no, even though I have other PhDs, oh and an MD, did I forget to mention that? You don't really have to call me doctor if you don't want to. The first name is fine."

Her determination turns to horror. Who the hell is this person and why are they such a masochist. What the gently caress??

Toalpaz, Serial Doctor, Town-aligned Doctor is the most disturbed person Meghan has ever seen N4.

It is now D5.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 5

Not Voting (5): A Sometimes Food, b-minus1, CapitalistPig, hambeet, Kitiara

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 06th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 14 hours.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hahahaha holy poo poo

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

YOU loving GOT US JIMMY JESUS CHRIST

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
:ghost: Go town :ghost:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
##vote asf

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I agree.

##vote asf

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

YOU loving GOT US JIMMY JESUS CHRIST

Also, this.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
:redhammer:

Votecount for Day 5

A Sometimes Food (3): b-minus1, Kitiara, Anonymous

Not Voting (3): A Sometimes Food, CapitalistPig, hambeet

With 5 alive, it's 3 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 06th, 2018 at 11 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 days, 14 hours.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Meghan continues to rewrite her draft. It is tedious and frustrating.

Nobody dies.

It is now N5. Actions please.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Meghan sighs. This isn't really going anywhere. She's getting frustrated. All the excitement she had seems to be melting away. She bangs her head on her desk. Another student nods at her in solidarity. They seem even more confused than she is.

"You know, I've always been interested in knowing more about the mating habits of hissing cockroaches...but also I really like early 20th century advice columns as a way to measure societal norms...but also using trolley problems to measure concepts of morality in children. Oh, there's so many possible things to study and I just love reading about them all. I know I should pick my dissertation topic and just run with it, but how can I choose??"

She looks over to them, defeated.

"I dunno, man, even once you choose it doesn't get any easier."

They look back at her nervously.

hambeet, Subject Switcher, Town-aligned JOAT needs to make a decision N5.

--

Meghan continues to write when she hears the ding of an email. It's from her supervisor. Her heart sinks.

"Meghan,

I've been reading your draft again this morning, and upon further review there are more problems than I initially thought. I've talked to the other members of the committee and we think that it's time...for a committee meeting. You're going to have to rethink everything.

Please come to my office as soon as you can."

Meghan looks at her draft. She hits Ctrl-A and then delete. She closes her laptop and makes her way to her supervisor's office.

--

Oh hi, how are you, I'm soooooo busy lately! I've just been going to all these committee meetings, I don't know where I have time to do all my reserach. Well, I'm on the ethics committee and of course the social committee (don't forget we have a puppy day coming up soon!!) and I'm on the organizing committee for the student conference. I also started a research group for others in our cohort if you're interested in that. We all work and publish together. Oh, and the reading group where we all bring a new journal article to read each week to stay up on each other's research. Then there's just the various boards I'm on. It's a lot of work, but it's so worth it! Oh, gotta go, I'm late for a meeting. Byeeee!

CapitalistPig, Committee Hopper, Town-aligned Gossip has been endgamed.

Oooooh, isn't it exciting to be in grad school? I love it! You know, I came in here with a fantastic project idea and my supervisor has been so fantastically supportive. I just got another 50 participants this morning, so that's great. I don't even remember trying to recruit them, they just fell into my lap!! I'm so glad we're here and everything is going great all the time. Aren't we so privileged? I'm going to submit this paper I wrote last week while I was bored to Cell. I'm sure it'll get in. Then next week I'm going to be teaching one of the master's classes. There's so much to do, but we're so lucky to do it!

A Sometimes Food, Always Confident, Town-aligned Permanently Unexecutable has been endgamed.

Town have lost!

--

You are the supervisor, and the one really in charge of the committee. The other two can contribute to the direction, but we all know it's your say that matters. Yours are the only opinions that actually count towards anything because it's you who will be making the decision on whether Meghan gets her PhD or not. You hold all the cards.

Kitiara, Supervisor, Scum-aligned 1-shot doublevoter/juggernaut has failed to be placated.

You're the second member of the committee. You're the friendly face, the one who Meghan gets along with and can add as a strong voice against the supervisor. You're not afraid to speak your mind and tell them that you disagree, even if Meghan can't say it. You're the voice of reason and the only ally in the room.

b-minus1, Second Committee Member, Scum-aligned Roleblocker/Godfather has failed to be placated.

and, our hero, Jimmy...

You're the third member of the committee and frankly, just a warm body. You'll read the dissertation and give a few notes, but you all know it's the other two that are calling the shots. You defer to their judgment whenever possible. It's just easier that way.

has failed to be placated!

Scum have won!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Apologies to everyone. I thought I hammered B- before I switched to Jimmy. Probably should've double checked but I was trying hard not to punch my computer monitor. I'm not particularly proud of how I handeled things. This is the last thing I'm going to say about it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hi everyone! So context for wtf happened that day. I could see the writing on the wall with B- at that point and was trying to appeal to town by bussing as quickly as possible. Since I saw Sal had recently posted, I was trying make a post for him to hurry up to look like I was town and trying to make the most of the time. I hosed up and used bus instead of hammer/lynch.

Kicking myself at first in Mafia chat, I realised I had to go balls to the wall cause no one else was looking that suspicious and with only a day, the vote would default to me and we’d lose two members in one day. I freaked out in thread and threw Sal under the bus as well as hard as I could. In that respect Sal, sorry for ruining your game with my shenanigans. I had to act as ragequitty as possible to pull it off and pulled my vote off b- to prevent him getting lynched.

So yeah, that was fun. Thanks for the game! The flavour was super cool and overall, I had a lot of fun this game :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I do hope most people had fun. I loved jimmy's gambit of turning what was legitimately a scumslip into the most amazing bid to try to get himself killed while pinning it on Sal before anyone noticed that b- hadn't been hammered.

It was a masterful way to turn a really lovely situation into victory.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ahahaha

Whelp. Some day I'll play well. But not today. Good rear end job scum.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I love that this game ended when I literally had no time to respond or do anything.

Thanks asiina.

Sal should have been LAST on that list after b- freelynch. As soon as b- was so difficult to get lynched when he was freely lynchable should have been a huge red flag.

I was going to come in the next day and say that b- should have been lynched but the day was over before I had a chance to respond.

gently caress me for having a busy weekend right?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Also that response reads way saltier than I actually am.

GG scum. :)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I let down town a lot this game, including going after Sal. I didn't think scum would be so close to lunch or lose with a double voter.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Lol

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Fantastic game as always, Asiina. Great job jimmy and kitiara, we did it! Fantastic teamwork all around. This will probably be my last mafia game for a while, so it feels good to go out on a high note.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

As an observer, it is easy since I wasn’t playing day by day to say “no one in the history of ever has confused discord and SA, and no one would just give up like that, don’t believe it!!!!!” But I once caught an easy flavor scumslip and got waved off it when a second scum came in and said “nah, who cares”, so stones and glass houses and all that.

Hell of a job jimmy! What a gambit to make lemonade out of lemons. And a fun game to read all around. Well done everyone!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing about this game is that it maintains the trend, with 100% accuracy, where scum will win a game if a member of the scumteam has a baby arrive during the game.

Previous occurrence here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744083

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

this was absolutely magical

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Watching Jimmy's scumslip and recovery in realtime from the obschat made me glad I was dead early!

GOOD FUCKIN' JERB, JIMMY

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

ALSO I TOLD YOU NERDS SO

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
I can’t wait for kitiara to wake up and see that we won. I’m so happy for jimmy and kit (also that we overcame my terrible play early in the game)

Also shout out to dancer for correctly nailing me as scum early.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Also I would like to clarify, I'm more mad at myself for getting baited. I sometimes play too emotionally. This was a really fun game. Scum played great.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Congrats on baby minus!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Podima posted:

The best thing about this game is that it maintains the trend, with 100% accuracy, where scum will win a game if a member of the scumteam has a baby arrive during the game.

Previous occurrence here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744083

having children is a scumslip

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Wow good game scum. Good job.

Thanks asiina, and thanks to cpig for our ghetto quasi-masonry

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The scumslip play (rightfully) will be what people remember about this game, but I liked the two tracker variants I had and it was a shame they didn't really get to do too much.

One tracker was delayed would choose a target one night in advance, so N0 they chose who to track N1 and got that result N1 while choosing someone to track N2. This is pretty weak since if you track someone who ends up dead then it's a wasted night, but roleblocks won't matter on a particular night, since they'll be one night behind.

The other tracker targeted someone and learned where they went the night before so N1 they found out where someone went N0, N2 they found out N1, etc. This tracker is a lot stronger since you can check someone's claim after they've made it.

I like these variants and might use them again, but I think only one in a game because it was confusing having both and needing to remember which role worked which direction.

I also liked the gossip role, although it was a bit of a mess in when to give beet the message cpig gave him and then having to wait for beet to respond. I always gave it after beet had locked in his target, but it did put a few delays on the game where I realized that I needed to wait for a response message. It was mostly lucky that beet happened to be around most of the times I needed him to respond so I could open the game.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asiina posted:

The scumslip play (rightfully) will be what people remember about this game, but I liked the two tracker variants I had and it was a shame they didn't really get to do too much.

One tracker was delayed would choose a target one night in advance, so N0 they chose who to track N1 and got that result N1 while choosing someone to track N2. This is pretty weak since if you track someone who ends up dead then it's a wasted night, but roleblocks won't matter on a particular night, since they'll be one night behind.

The other tracker targeted someone and learned where they went the night before so N1 they found out where someone went N0, N2 they found out N1, etc. This tracker is a lot stronger since you can check someone's claim after they've made it.

I like these variants and might use them again, but I think only one in a game because it was confusing having both and needing to remember which role worked which direction.

I also liked the gossip role, although it was a bit of a mess in when to give beet the message cpig gave him and then having to wait for beet to respond. I always gave it after beet had locked in his target, but it did put a few delays on the game where I realized that I needed to wait for a response message. It was mostly lucky that beet happened to be around most of the times I needed him to respond so I could open the game.

lol i have a feeling me going to bed one night delayed you opening the game as you waited for my response. i was impressed the way c-pig thought to use it, and he good naturedly put up with my suspicion and bread crumb requests.

i deliberated on whether to cop or watch AA night one, ultimately going with cop because i can't read him in the last few games i've played with him.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The ninja killed him so you would have just seen Solus and he would have been even more screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah i intended when i saw there was a response with my role to find someone i was at least 80% sure was town and make a sort of masonry with it. Hambeet was townie af surrounding the whole thing so i was confident.

• Locked thread