Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me clarify

I am not trying to insult the book.

I legitimately do not know what the book could contain that would make it that long.

I mean, the book is as long as War and Peace which has something like 200+ named characters

A lot of it is slice of life stuff. Character wakes up, trains a bit, contemplates the Big Event coming up, has a meal, thinks about their role in society, worries about some tidbit of lore, goes to bed

That's about 80% of any Sanderson book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Jorenko posted:

It was an island-sized greatshell, not an elephant.
Ahh, yes I remember the greatshell story now. Thanks!

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

bitprophet posted:

The what now?

It's about 100 times bigger than this thing

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
It's worth noting that while Sanderson intends all the cosmere books to be standalone, there are narratives you will be missing if you haven't read them all. Stormlight is great whether you pick up on those details or not though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Ninth Layer posted:

A lot of it is slice of life stuff. Character wakes up, trains a bit, contemplates the Big Event coming up, has a meal, thinks about their role in society, worries about some tidbit of lore, goes to bed

That's about 80% of any Sanderson book.

Honestly it feels like there's way less food in the books compared to GRRM or Redwall or even WoT. I say this despite Rock's soup dinners on Bridge Four and the king's feast tables being recurring plot points

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
There's a big difference between using food as a method of bringing characters together and highlighting the impact it has on society (men and women always eating different food in highborn Vorin culture), and describing sixteen different individual foods that are at the dinner table. Shut the gently caress up about the buttered peas, GRRM.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Lemoncakes!

I want to try Rocks soup.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

It's about 100 times bigger than this thing

it's was also a level in Golden Axe

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Also the newbie zone for pandaren in the Mists of Pandaria WoW expansion. Including the player eventually talking to the island-turtle to find out what's wrong with it and how to help. Don't recall any bungee jumping tho.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Reading Skyward is nice, I feel like he got many parts of the characters nice and the world building is pretty interesting. The tech feels a bit like one of his magic systems, so parts of the book might be too 'game manual'ish but overall I am really enjoying the read.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Is the book like Sanderson-novella sized? I burned through Stephen Leeds a little quick to be worth the money.

Also is it too teenage-girlish? I could stand Divergent and liked Hunger Games/Maze Runner 1 OK so I'm not like too snobbish for a YA novel, but Divergent got close to losing me with the teenage romance stuff.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Is the book like Sanderson-novella sized? I burned through Stephen Leeds a little quick to be worth the money.

Also is it too teenage-girlish? I could stand Divergent and liked Hunger Games/Maze Runner 1 OK so I'm not like too snobbish for a YA novel, but Divergent got close to losing me with the teenage romance stuff.

Spensa is a teenage girl who you can say might be heterosexual based on comments she makes about another pilot and that's about it.

Skyward is about getting into ships and shooting things, or talking about what happened when they got into ships and shot things, or what they're going to do when they next get into ships and shoot things.

I'd only call it YA in that the protagonist is younger than most of Sanderson's and as such focuses more on "coming of age" themes and you only need one hand to wield the book as a weapon instead of two.

As far as length, the word count is listed as 137, 293. In other words, about 2/3 of a Mistborn book. So, small for Sanderson and otherwise a sizable and enjoyable story.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I finished Skyward in two days and it definitely left me wanting a sequel. I do think the finale was very abrupt, very little trail off back into normalcy and aftermath. But I guess that is more of a YA thing and they do expect to have the next book out next year and the final book in 2020.

All the pilots of Skward Flight felt really well done and fleshed out with good character arcs in such a short book.

Also I did enjoy the way Sanderson took the super obvious tropes and just ran with them and give them a little twist. Specifically (Major story arc spoiler) That you would quickly assume Spensa was right, her father was a hero, and that Ironsides was covering something up. Then the gut punch to her in learning that in fact Ironsides was only covering up how bad it really was to prevent her and her mom from being even worse off. But then in the very end you learn that while it really was her dad and not some illusion or doppelganger Chaser was acting on enemy induced hallucinations.

Still want to know what the hell the teleporting slug is and how that plays into hyperdrives.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

All the pilots of Skward Flight felt really well done and fleshed out with good character arcs in such a short book.

I want the ultimate Cosmere crossover event to be Kimmalyn, Lopen, and Wayne just hanging out somewhere.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Trasson posted:

Spensa is a teenage girl who you can say might be heterosexual based on comments she makes about another pilot and that's about it.

Skyward is about getting into ships and shooting things, or talking about what happened when they got into ships and shot things, or what they're going to do when they next get into ships and shoot things.

I'd only call it YA in that the protagonist is younger than most of Sanderson's and as such focuses more on "coming of age" themes and you only need one hand to wield the book as a weapon instead of two.

As far as length, the word count is listed as 137, 293. In other words, about 2/3 of a Mistborn book. So, small for Sanderson and otherwise a sizable and enjoyable story.

Sounds great - thanks I'll pick it up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sab669 posted:

And also Plots D-Z, which are the interlude chapters that are generally "separate" little side-stories that mostly serve only to expand on the world at large with no, or minimal, impact on Plots A-C so far.

Like there's probably what, 10-15 interludes per book?

Maybe I'm forgetting one but I think every interlude from Stormlight 1-2, and maybe all of those in 3, have been plot relevant so far. The Purelake one is probably the least impactful so far though since it's mainly a group of people from the 17th shard looking for Hoid and the group includes an Elantian.

They're all subplots to provide info from not (yet?) PoV characters and areas but they tend to have far more than a minimal impact on Plots A-C, even if it's not immediate.

Trasson posted:

I want the ultimate Cosmere crossover event to be Kimmalyn, Lopen, and Wayne just hanging out somewhere.

Guest starring Rock as their rough yet loveable neighbor who always provides advice and food.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

To be honest I don't remember most of them. I haven't read much Sanderson since Oathbringer came out, and I finished that in like a month.

Haven't had a chance to hit the bookstore to get Skyward yet either :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finished WOT book 8 today. Like 7, it was garbage. With the exception of the Seanchan and the 3 pages of Rand being attacked by the Asha’man.

*fart*

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Finished WOT book 8 today. Like 7, it was garbage. With the exception of the Seanchan and the 3 pages of Rand being attacked by the Asha’man.

*fart*

It gets worse before it gets better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

*fart*

BananaNutkins posted:

It gets worse before it gets better.

Lies? He's at book 9, which is better than both book 8 and book 10. So it gets better, then worse, then one is finally at book 11, where it gets a lot better (and starts to resolve several plot threads).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

Lies? He's at book 9, which is better than both book 8 and book 10. So it gets better, then worse, then one is finally at book 11, where it gets a lot better (and starts to resolve several plot threads).

To be fair most of book 9 isn't better than 8

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am only on Dragon Reborn where the books are still good, think I'll just read summaries for 7,8,9 and 10, with a couple of choice chapters.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

10 and 11 are the nadir. 12 is good. 13 is good. 14 is not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The last book isn’t good?!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The last book isn’t good?!

I think it is, but there are some flaws. Some plots are rushed to their end, which I guess is a combination of Jordan's death and them really, really not wanting to make the series even longer. The main plots are fine though, imho.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

The last scenes with the Dark One are so stupid. The dialog is cringy and awful. The last battle has some cool moments but it goes on for far too long. The Black Tower plotline was a big let down. Rand giggling to himself at the end about which girl he wanted to smang the most and being unable to choose was a dumb way to send that character off.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I think it is, but there are some flaws. Some plots are rushed to their end, which I guess is a combination of Jordan's death and them really, really not wanting to make the series even longer. The main plots are fine though, imho.
Yeah, Sanderson complained several times that, even with the extra space they gave him, he didn't have enough books to do justice to a lot of plot lines.

Given all the poo poo that needed to get wrapped up, I thought it went pretty well. I assume the last book had the most actual Jordan authored prose in it of any of them as he allegedly wrote a lot of the last battle stuff before the first book was even published. Trying to finesse stuff that old in with the new, no to mention after a few thousand pages of Sanderson's occasionally drastically different characterizations, did not always offer smooth results.

BananaNutkins posted:

The last scenes with the Dark One are so stupid. The dialog is cringy and awful. The last battle has some cool moments but it goes on for far too long. The Black Tower plotline was a big let down. Rand giggling to himself at the end about which girl he wanted to smang the most and being unable to choose was a dumb way to send that character off.
I agree that less would have been more for a lot of that, and I just wonder if that was Sanderson having too much material to work with and wanting to include it all. The whole body switching to enable harem paradise ending is assuredly the dumbest thing about the entire series.

I'm still really glad it got finished.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The ending was written by Robert Jordan.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am curious as to the level of craft someone practices over the course of writing some 10,000 pages of a single story

Like, how much did he reflect on a sentence before committing to it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why do you care.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am curious as to the level of craft someone practices over the course of writing some 10,000 pages of a single story

If you are talking about Sanderson, he has a podcast called Writing Excuses that might help.

There's is even An Episode on Line Editing an old manuscript of his

If you've read Way of Kings, There's even an episode that tells about that book specifically, though it does have some spoilers.

It's not just Brandon, but 3-4 other authors so it isn't just his process. But if you search they do take on lots of issues. Some of which may answer your questions. The short answer is that his process is an outline, then write, then begin editing, at least for big stuff. His shorter works can start with discovery writing.

Edit: if you are talking about Jordan, I think the problem could be the lack of editing. Since it's likely no one wanted to change his words to much lest they become "no longer Robert Jordan".

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 10, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why do you care.

because the production of that sheer volume of text is astounding and I wonder how a person does it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

because the production of that sheer volume of text is astounding and I wonder how a person does it

I mean as mentioned the guy is really open about his process, the post before gives you sources but I don’t know if it works well if you have no attachment to the series.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He isn't particularly fast, he just writes for at least eight hours every day.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Brandon is a great guy who isnt pompous at all like some other fantasy authors. He admits that he's not great at prose. He runs more of a production line operation with lots of hands on the text fixing things. Like, he has around 100 people reading and finding prose issues and mistakes working on the same google spreadsheet. I think he pushed it too far in Oathbreaker, but the fans mostly loved it and arent the same folks who read Baudilino ir whatever.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Authors are almost universally horrid at writing, paradoxically enough. To the point some are borderline... not illiterate, but unintelligible with their raw prose. Source: my cousin is an author who recently published part of a series with 100,000 readers, but who earned most of his income as an editor when he wasn't bar tending to pay the bills. He got manuscripts from some very famous names, and he was not sparing in his criticism of the raw writing he was sent to review.

But as he tells me, people don't pay them for good grammar or natural dialogue, they want stories that make them feel something. For successful writers that can create those evocative stories, the more technical stuff can be polished easily enough by others.

M_Gargantua posted:

I finished Skyward in two days and it definitely left me wanting a sequel. I do think the finale was very abrupt, very little trail off back into normalcy and aftermath. But I guess that is more of a YA thing and they do expect to have the next book out next year and the final book in 2020.

Also I did enjoy the way Sanderson took the super obvious tropes and just ran with them and give them a little twist. Specifically (Major story arc spoiler) That you would quickly assume Spensa was right, her father was a hero, and that Ironsides was covering something up. Then the gut punch to her in learning that in fact Ironsides was only covering up how bad it really was to prevent her and her mom from being even worse off. But then in the very end you learn that while it really was her dad and not some illusion or doppelganger Chaser was acting on enemy induced hallucinations.

Still want to know what the hell the teleporting slug is and how that plays into hyperdrives.

Agree with this assessment entirely. I thought I saw the plot coming a mile away, and I did... except I didn't. He has also come a long way from his "every female protagonist sounds the same" days.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why do you keep driving by the thread to make these same posts over and over?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Why do you keep driving by the thread to make these same posts over and over?

because I looked up wheel of time after finding out it had 14 books and then saw each book was like 500-600 pages and maybe you all are accustomed to it at this point but to an outsider a dude writing a 10,000+ story is kind of astounding

Like, Henry Darger wrote a 15,000 page novel but he was also a shut-in schizophrenic who just endlessly rambled about little girls over and over and even then it took his whole life and he never got it published and this dude wrote 2/3 the length of that and published it

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 11, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well wheel of time was written with apparently a lot filler and the writer indulging in his harem fantasies is my read.

While Sanderson fetish is works building so it at least contributes something.

As your fetish seems to be half assed trolling.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

The more words you have, the more detailed the world can be. A lot of fantasy reads are into that aspect. You can have a page and a half describing a chair if you want. Its almost like building a simulation or an open world game. This is one of the key differences of the genre.