Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

If they burn down the state, then they have to pay $0 in vegetation management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're right, there's nothing they could have done, and they were entirely justified in completely dropping the ball and enriching themselves instead.

nice strawman - my point is more about how this state is hosed due to global warming and where we have chosen to live

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

predicto posted:

nice strawman - my point is more about how this state is hosed due to global warming and where we have chosen to live

cool point but we're actually talking about PG&E's criminal negligence here. talking about that instead is moot since the entire planet is hosed due to global warming, it doesn't matter where you live

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're absolutely right but it doesn't look like any major activist groups are interested in making it happen.

People are, but everyone's exhausted from a seriously busy last few months and everyone seems to be more focused on doing something that's less of an extended campaign for right now like getting and distributing N95 masks to the unhoused right now along with calling CPUC offices and state reps for the moment with the actual in person protests planning for after Thanksgiving.
https://twitter.com/DSA_SF/status/1063537651448344576

predicto posted:

They spent 200 million dollars on vegetation management last year. It doesn’t matter. They could spend five times that much, and massive fires would still happen. There are over 55 million trees adjacent to a PGE power line. It only takes one to fall, and the entire state is made of kindling now.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/PG-E-diverted-safety-money-for-profit-bonuses-2500175.php
Ah yes, the diverted money for profit and bonuses in the past may have been negligent

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/27/pge-top-bosses-harvest-hefty-pay-hikes/
But this one was fine.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

predicto posted:

PG&E had net income after tax of about $1.6 billion last year. They also had cash totaling almost half a billion on hand, and in previous years paid out hundreds of millions in dividends.

How about instead of worrying about their Earnings Per Share ratio they worry about not killing people and spend a little of that fuckton of money they've got on improving infrastructure? True, it won't stop every fire and every death, but I'd bet it would stop enough to be worth it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Fun little minifact about the Republican rout in Orange County

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1063775748320870400

e: and a fun article about the grim future of the California Republican party

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1063809437079605254

FMguru fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 17, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thurmond ahead of Tuck by more than 150k votes now thank gently caress.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FMguru posted:

I want nothing more than this to be true forever more, but as awesome as it is, this is an election with extremely high voter participation due to cheeto benito being just that awful. I'm not sure this will hold true in 4 years once the white house has been (hopefully) replaced by someone with more governing ability than a slightly warm jar of mayonnaise.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah, I expect the Republicans to claw some of those seats back, probably the next time we have a Dem President during a midterm. But as far as statewide offices and control of the state legislature, I really don't see what could change to make them viable. The Republicans are increasingly the party of angry white men, and while that can still knock out some wins in small enclaves, California overall is stampeding further and further away from that demographic.

Maybe if they break away from the national party on social and environmental issues while otherwise still running a similar tax/regulation message they'd have a chance. But the anti-immigrant, anti-environment, anti-woman platform is driving too many voters away, potentially forever, and with McCarthy heading up the House Republicans I guess the current plan is to tie the last handful of CA Republicans even closer to Trump, so RIP.

FCKGW posted:

Thurmond ahead of Tuck by more than 150k votes now thank gently caress.

Good good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah, I expect the Republicans to claw some of those seats back, probably the next time we have a Dem President during a midterm. But as far as statewide offices and control of the state legislature, I really don't see what could change to make them viable. The Republicans are increasingly the party of angry white men, and while that can still knock out some wins in small enclaves, California overall is stampeding further and further away from that demographic.

Maybe if they break away from the national party on social and environmental issues while otherwise still running a similar tax/regulation message they'd have a chance. But the anti-immigrant, anti-environment, anti-woman platform is driving too many voters away, potentially forever, and with McCarthy heading up the House Republicans I guess the current plan is to tie the last handful of CA Republicans even closer to Trump, so RIP.
It's a death spiral. The smaller they shrink, they more they become dominated by their crazy base, the less likely to compromise and change to adapt to Cali's diverse blue population, and the more people they drive off. Rinse and repeat. The mechanisms that are making this state bluer aren't going to stop any time soon.

The real issue for the state GOP is that no one wants to fund them. The state and national Chambers of Commerce both shut their checkbooks a couple of cycles ago, figuring (correctly) that pumping money into California races is the same as setting it on fire. You'll also have enormous trouble recruiting quality candidates (not a lot of top-tier volunteers for what amounts to an expensive year long kamikaze mission), so the candidates you end up are either 1) activist True Believer types (i.e. kooks) or 2) self-funding zillionaire vanity candidates.

One thing to keep an eye open for: if the California Democratic party is the only source of (and pathway to) power in the state, then a lot of ambitious politicians who would otherwise have been Republicans are going to run as Dems, and a lot of corporate money that used to go to the GOP will instead be spent trying to buy off Democrats. Just because it looks like we're in for a long run of Democratic control of California, it doesn't at all automatically follow that it's going to a run of liberal government.

Also: states dominated by one party often become hilariously corrupt, so that's something else we're going to be seeing a lot of in the future.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Top-two primaries will hopefully keep us away from NY style corruption by still having actually competitive general elections though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
even for like, orange county, i'd seriously wonder if politicians like rohrabacher and walters and kim came up through the entrenched county GOP machine, and ran losing campaigns because the machine they relied on all this time completely and utterly failed to adapt to the shifting ground of the county (demographically, politically, socioeconomically, etc), and that these losses (plus the dems picking up at least one more seat in the assembly in the greater irvine area) are a step in dismantling the machine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Top-two means that every statewide seat will be a choice between a lefty-liberal Democrat and a center-right Democrat, and the latter will win (because, deprived of a Republican choice, the CHUDs who still make up 35% of the electorate will vote for the least progressive candidate).

That's the whole reason top-two was instituted - to make sure that mushy centrists will always triumph.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FMguru posted:

The real issue for the state GOP is that no one wants to fund them. The state and national Chambers of Commerce both shut their checkbooks a couple of cycles ago, figuring (correctly) that pumping money into California races is the same as setting it on fire. You'll also have enormous trouble recruiting quality candidates (not a lot of top-tier volunteers for what amounts to an expensive year long kamikaze mission), so the candidates you end up are either 1) activist True Believer types (i.e. kooks) or 2) self-funding zillionaire vanity candidates.

One thing to keep an eye open for: if the California Democratic party is the only source of (and pathway to) power in the state, then a lot of ambitious politicians who would otherwise have been Republicans are going to run as Dems, and a lot of corporate money that used to go to the GOP will instead be spent trying to buy off Democrats. Just because it looks like we're in for a long run of Democratic control of California, it doesn't at all automatically follow that it's going to a run of liberal government.

the smart money has already moved on from funding republicans to funding republicans that call themselves democrats. the lovely dems that had outrageous amounts of pac money behind them like tuck or buffy wicks got a lot of that pac money from republican donors

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 17, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the state version of nationalization and is that actually a thing?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

What is the state version of nationalization and is that actually a thing?

I imagine you’d just call it municipalization, but maybe there’s a better word. And some people tried to get it on the ballot in CA in 2016.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1063899888167972864

https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/1063899480183853057

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao Newsom and brown would give loving anything to be anywhere else than in those photos

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Newsom should've clocked him and cemented his lifetime appointment as Emperor of the Free State of California.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

We're going to have a great climate. The best climate. You won't believe how good this climate will be.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone said the climate could never be this great.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It IS great, for certain definitions of great, from certain points of view.

Just not those compatible with humanist societies with worthwhile qualities of life.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a good (Great) Climate!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

OK so, the Donny Goodbrain 3 Step Plan for Wildland Fire Management:

1. Rake the forest (esp. floors)
2. Stop oceans from stealing all our water
3. Be Finland

Sounds good to me

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You forgot "let ranchers dam federal waterways for their own benefit" unless you were lumping that in with the ocean-theft.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

watch his hand motions he clearly wants us to window-wash the floors

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So. The president supports punishment for PG&E since they didn't rake the floors.

Seems like a great idea honestly

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

watch his hand motions he clearly wants us to window-wash the floors

well yeah that's what we need the water for

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FMguru posted:

Dirk the Average posted:

I want nothing more than this to be true forever more, but as awesome as it is, this is an election with extremely high voter participation due to cheeto benito being just that awful. I'm not sure this will hold true in 4 years once the white house has been (hopefully) replaced by someone with more governing ability than a slightly warm jar of mayonnaise.

Yeah same, I would love it to last, but in another 2 years I suspect they'll have clawed back a lot of the seats, not all, but a good portion will swap back. It's really more of a one off-fluke with massive turnout on one side, and generally low energy and middling turnout of gop in ca that generally are not as in love with trump unlike someplace like texas or kentucky that loves sending brown children to for profit rape camps. And even with that, there were way too many narrow <1% margins in a lot that isn't likely going to carry the next election, or two. CA GOP is definitely hurting, but it'd be naive to think they're gone and OC and poo poo will stay blue.

Also GOP will just change their party to IND* (totally not still 100% funded by RNC et al.) and gain the votes that way.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 18, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FMguru posted:

This article is utter drivel.

quote:

It can take time, as happened in Texas, where decades of Democratic hegemony gave way to decades of Republican rule, which, beginning in cities and now spreading to the suburbs, is showing signs of weakening.

These dumb motherfuckers at the LA Times actually wrote that the modern version of the Democrats used to govern Texas for decades, in seeming complete ignorance of why that actually was the case (the Dixiecrat Switch). It's a complete and utter rejection of factual historical nuance, in order to tell this bullshit story, where the rise of conscience in America is actually the disempowering of people who just believe in "low taxes and limited government" and the pendulum will inevitably swing the other way.

This isn't a fun article about the GOP in California kicking it, this is mooning centrist horseshit fantasizing about how the ideal form of government is one where both parties have an equal share of power. It's written in utter defiance of the fact that the way it writes about politics (right down to the idea of states being "red" or "blue") is actually an extremely recent invention. It's such sloppy, yellow journalism it makes me want to barf.

FMguru posted:

The real issue for the state GOP is that no one wants to fund them. The state and national Chambers of Commerce both shut their checkbooks a couple of cycles ago, figuring (correctly) that pumping money into California races is the same as setting it on fire.

Well, it depends on where exactly in the state you put it, but it will probably end up on fire, yeah

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 18, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ER_DavidLittle/status/1063958492183023616

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another fun set of numbers showing just how badly the state GOP has imploded over time.

https://twitter.com/jaredleopold/status/1063841079240335361

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Xaris posted:

Yeah same, I would love it to last, but in another 2 years I suspect they'll have clawed back a lot of the seats, not all, but a good portion will swap back. It's really more of a one off-fluke with massive turnout on one side, and generally low energy and middling turnout of gop in ca that generally are not as in love with trump unlike someplace like texas or kentucky that loves sending brown children to for profit rape camps. And even with that, there were way too many narrow <1% margins in a lot that isn't likely going to carry the next election, or two. CA GOP is definitely hurting, but it'd be naive to think they're gone and OC and poo poo will stay blue.

Also GOP will just change their party to IND* (totally not still 100% funded by RNC et al.) and gain the votes that way.

It wouldn't be the first time a political party dissolved and was replaced. GOP candidates running and winning as Independents is a good thing. Minor league regressive rear end in a top hat politics like tax cuts for billionaires might survive, but major league poo poo like voter suppression and racism/sexism will go away quickly in a new party that's trying to be competitive in CA. Which will inevitably form if enough conservatives start to run as Independents.

It's not objectively good, but it's better than the GOP now, and regressive assholes are always going to find other regressive assholes to vote for.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Let's not forget another factor in the decline of the republican congressional delegation in CA is fixing the gerrymandering redistricting. A lot of nominally red states are really purple-blue states run by entrenched republicans in gerrymandered districts.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Infinite Karma posted:

It wouldn't be the first time a political party dissolved and was replaced. GOP candidates running and winning as Independents is a good thing. Minor league regressive rear end in a top hat politics like tax cuts for billionaires might survive, but major league poo poo like voter suppression and racism/sexism will go away quickly in a new party that's trying to be competitive in CA. Which will inevitably form if enough conservatives start to run as Independents.

It's not objectively good, but it's better than the GOP now, and regressive assholes are always going to find other regressive assholes to vote for.
See, I don't think that's even any better at all. Saying hey we're the same gently caress da poor assholes that want to bring handmaidens tale to reality and gas all brown children, but we're not an R so you don't have ot feel bad voting for us, is not an improvement and just insidious masquerade. A good scary example of what I mean is, Steve loving Poizner almost pulled it off this time even by 2% and that's, at least to me, pretty Bad And Alarming. It would not be a reformation of a new party, but just sticking back in republicans under different flag in certain positions isn't good. The upside is that there still may be some R candidates that spoil the NPP/IND masquerade so it's not likely to take off on any large scale, but could still work on smaller levels and even assembly if you can capture that "well i dont want to vote for no stinking R's but i don't like those lieberal democrats and look, NPP must mean they're bipartisian i love me some bipartisanship!" vote.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/TonyThurmond/status/1063878950634446848

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

^^^hooray!

In other gently caress you news:

quote:

As California employers know, employees in California are entitled to a 30-minute off-duty meal break for shifts greater than five hours, and a second 30-minute meal break for shifts over 10 hours. In addition, employees are entitled to a 10-minute off-duty rest break for every four hours worked or major fraction thereof.

The PHMSA concluded that California’s meal and rest break requirements conflict with the federal laws governing drivers transporting hazardous materials.

Just lol. Can't wait to die in a toxic chemical fire

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Wait... What? Are they suggesting DoT 1.1 cargo is currently shipped with just one driver?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Wait... What? Are they suggesting DoT 1.1 cargo is currently shipped with just one driver?

Yep. Totally OKing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Government agency helmed by a republican rolls back worker protections, reduces general public safety while doing so. Grass green, water wet, etc.