Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

therattle posted:

My brother gave me MC@H, and it’s a great gift but my wife is a vegetarian. I’m thinking of selling it.
There's some good vegetarian stuff in there. I love their pressure cooker carrot soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

My brother gave me MC@H, and it’s a great gift but my wife is a vegetarian. I’m thinking of selling it.

Rather than selling it, you should understand the true meaning of Christmas and just give it away. To someone deserving.

Apropos of nothing, I don’t own MC@H and have wanted it for ages but can’t justify spending the children’s food money on a book.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big cooking day, I'll be in the kitchen starting around noon. Did as much as I could yesterday, but there is still a lot more.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I imagine the tissues are strategically placed for cleanup after you're done jacking off to that beautiful turkey.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I admit nothing!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

Rather than selling it, you should understand the true meaning of Christmas and just give it away. To someone deserving.

Apropos of nothing, I don’t own MC@H and have wanted it for ages but can’t justify spending the children’s food money on a book.

subtle

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Too subtle, perhaps? Should I have laid it out thicker with the implication that if I buy myself anything at all, my children go hungry?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What are you guys's fave food youtube channel or website? I need something to read/watch when I'm bored at work

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I eventually realized I could read a cookbook at work in those situations. Did wonders for my backlog, and if someone came in I could just say I was checking something for dinner that night, nobody bats an eyelash.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh, I guess some cooking books that aren't just a list of recipes could be fine too. Got any recommendations?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Tired Moritz posted:

What are you guys's fave food youtube channel or website? I need something to read/watch when I'm bored at work

Maangchi, Vahrehvah, and Mosogourmet are the ones I'm subscribed to. Also Sorted, but the quality there has been off for a couple years now.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tired Moritz posted:

LGR Foods - guy who's main channel (LGR) is doing interesting things with old computing hardware/software instead makes a variety of sandwiches. Simple, but for some reason fascinating.

Townsends - Their channel overall is focused on (mainly 17th Century) life and times, but they do a lot of videos on 17th Century cooking.

Steve1989MREInfo - this guy opens, reviews, and usually eats, MREs/Survival Rations. Some as old as the 1899-1902 2nd Boer War.

Food Wishes - Chef John makes a variety of recipes ranging from dips to sauces to entrees, almost always with cayenne pepper (even where it makes no sense) and oddly inflectioned speech. Extremely informative. Also a blog.

Obligatory Binging with Babish - the current Youtube Food Wunderkind. Makes a variety of foods/dishes from Movies/TV Shows/filmed events, sometimes making "improved" (read: not utter nonsense) versions of the more "out-there" dishes. Once spent an absurd amount of money trying to recreate the Every-Meat Burrito from Regular Show.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Totally Reasonable posted:

Maangchi, Vahrehvah, and Mosogourmet are the ones I'm subscribed to. Also Sorted, but the quality there has been off for a couple years now.

I used to be a fan of sorted, until it stopped being a food thing and more of a "four dudes, and I guess they do food stuff sometimes" show.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Annath posted:

LGR Foods - guy who's main channel (LGR) is doing interesting things with old computing hardware/software instead makes a variety of sandwiches. Simple, but for some reason fascinating.

Townsends - Their channel overall is focused on (mainly 17th Century) life and times, but they do a lot of videos on 17th Century cooking.

Steve1989MREInfo - this guy opens, reviews, and usually eats, MREs/Survival Rations. Some as old as the 1899-1902 2nd Boer War.

Food Wishes - Chef John makes a variety of recipes ranging from dips to sauces to entrees, almost always with cayenne pepper (even where it makes no sense) and oddly inflectioned speech. Extremely informative. Also a blog.

Obligatory Binging with Babish - the current Youtube Food Wunderkind. Makes a variety of foods/dishes from Movies/TV Shows/filmed events, sometimes making "improved" (read: not utter nonsense) versions of the more "out-there" dishes. Once spent an absurd amount of money trying to recreate the Every-Meat Burrito from Regular Show.

Thanks, I'm gonna check out Steve and Townsends. I already subscribed the rest but I'm sure others haven't!!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you're hungry and want to lose your appetite immediately and maybe go run a couple miles, you could always watch mukbang on Youtube.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Going through my subs again, there's also Alex, Gundog, and Lofty Pursuits. LP is especially good when you just want to zone out and get a history lesson while some dude makes candy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Annath posted:

How did I not know Clint has a food channel? Thank you for this info.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Mark Wiens is doing a big tour of Pakistan at the moment which is p great so far.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, I guess some cooking books that aren't just a list of recipes could be fine too. Got any recommendations?

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat

Deep Run Roots

Sourdough by Sarah Owens

The Food Lab (not great for vegetarians)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Bon Appetit has a really good collection of entertaining and informative poo poo, but they also post a lot of really annoying dumb "kids try" videos. Probably my favorite kitchen crew on Youtube. Also check out Chinese Cooking Demystified; it's run by an American ex-pat and his wife and they make a monstrously delicious amount of chinese food, as well as walking you through various different cultural differences

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Scientastic posted:

Too subtle, perhaps? Should I have laid it out thicker with the implication that if I buy myself anything at all, my children go hungry?

Eat the children, gently caress the book, sell your wife.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Masaokis

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester

What about it (other than that it’s amazing)?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

What about it (other than that it’s amazing)?

It’s the best answer to:

Tired Moritz posted:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You vs. the guy she says not to worry about : tortilladora edition

The left is aluminum

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

It’s the best answer to:

Oh yeah. Silly me

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pro-tip:
Brulee your left over pumpkin pie

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A few of my favorite YouTube food channels that haven't already been mentioned:

Eater

Munchies

Everyday Food - a Martha Stewart brand, but not terrible (mostly, aside from Lindsay Strand's dead eyes)

America's Test Kitchen - Cook's Country is lol-worthy but a fun watch

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most Martha Stewart recipes I've tried are pretty drat good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They're as good as her food photography skills are bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

https://www.marthastewart.com/355537/braised-pork-chops

This is my go-to for pork chops.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Did I gently caress up the seasoning on this carbon steel wok? I usually do my cast iron seasoning in the oven but couldn't do that with this one due to the wooden handle. In any case, being mostly unfamiliar with carbon steel, does this look normal and will even up as I use it, or did I somehow screw it up and should strip and do it over?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That bottom's awful shiny and has scrapes through it, is it sticky?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, if it's sticky I'd strip it back down.

Ideally you're going for the thinnest layer of oil you can get, wiped dry with a paper towel like you're trying to remove all of the oil, then heated to polymerize.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like you put it on too thick. Wipe it on, wipe it off once it’s warm so you have a super thin layer.

Of course that’s after you scrub that off.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Damnit, I figured. So any tips or tricks for stripping this thing, or do I just go at it with steel wool?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mikey Purp posted:

Damnit, I figured. So any tips or tricks for stripping this thing, or do I just go at it with steel wool?

Oven self-cleaning cycle will burn that poo poo right off, or you could just use hot water, soap, and lots of elbow grease with a steel wool pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Midniter posted:

Oven self-cleaning cycle will burn that poo poo right off

Ooh, I need to redo my pan, it got some rust spots in storage