Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

DizzyBum posted:

I'm not a confrontational person but I am definitely a "Really??" kind of guy; I can at least do that much.

Not gonna start punching people for saying dumb things, though. That's counter-productive.

On the contrary, it tends to work quite well; see also richardspencer%

site posted:

If you want minorities to be included and protected, you need to have them involved at every level to insure they're being heard and their suggestions being incorporated into the process.

The other main issue with this is that you have to give the minority parts of your team the power and authority to make and carry out decisions without being stonewalled by the cis white segment, which effectively means that you have to trust that one of the problems will recognize their behavior as being the problem

"I don't think that we should be that harsh, [minority team member], maybe we could do it differently" "that is the exact same thing you tried before and ended up getting you roasted live on twitter, and why you decided to bring me in" "but but but"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

punching racists is good but would probably get you thrown out of GDQ

instead lead them out of the hotel with a breadcrumb trail of caramel popcorn and then punch them

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

site posted:

I agree in the abstract, in that that should be the way it works, but just slapping a PR person on the team and leaving the decision making to the same group of people who've made the same bad decisions over and over and just expecting them to change is just asking for disappointment. Plus I'm not too thrilled at the idea of specifically excluding minorities from the process because out of some notion that you can yell cishet white men with lovely notions into doing the right thing, as that invariably never works. If you want minorities to be included and protected, you need to have them involved at every level to insure they're being heard and their suggestions being incorporated into the process.
Did you mean to quote me? Because I'm pretty sure I never said anything about not having LGBQT+ involved.
My post was about how 1) we don't want to be a card someone can pull to defend themselves, and 2) words and actions can be perceived differently from how you mean them, and that if you hurt someone by your words or actions you need to demonstrate that you're sorry with more than just words.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

D. Ebdrup posted:

Did you mean to quote me? Because I'm pretty sure I never said anything about not having LGBQT+ involved.
My post was about how 1) we don't want to be a card someone can pull to defend themselves, and 2) words and actions can be perceived differently from how you mean them, and that if you hurt someone by your words or actions you need to demonstrate that you're sorry with more than just words.

eke out posted:

yeah also lgbqt people in other positions shouldn't have to try to be their conscience about these issues, it's not a substitute for having those people in meaningful leadership roles

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is it, right here. LGBQT+ people aren't other peoples conscience, and being or knowing one isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Everyone needs to think about how their words and actions can hurt other people - It's hard work. It's even harder to apologize, when you gently caress up - but you apologize, tell people how you're going to make amends, and then go make amends.

I took these two to mean that placing minorities into leadership/decision making positions wasnt a good idea, but if i misunderstood then sorry

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, the new person they could get to make such decisions doesn't have to be a member of the minorities in question, they just have to understand the position they're in and represent them properly. Realistically it could be any human being of actual worth, instead of people who do nothing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

eke out posted:

yeah also lgbqt people in other positions shouldn't have to try to be their conscience about these issues, it's not a substitute for having those people in meaningful leadership roles

Oh I totally misread the first post I quoted. GDQ at an individual contractor/employee level is generally liberal/progressive. I'm not going to like, give numbers of poc/LGTBQ staff that are or were employed (because then it sounds like I'm saying "they know minorities they're good"), but it is generally a socially progressive group.

Imo GDQ the org falls apart when it tries to be a neutral not-drumming-up controversy org. They try to play a middle ground and remain politically neutral, except there's an incredibly toxic contingent of the community that they have to ignore. It's easier to just sort of accept it exists than fight it, and I can understand the reasoning of staying in the middle while saying "hey we support trans people etc. etc." It's easier and you can say something dumb like "well we don't want to fracture the audience!".

The problem is that positioning is incredibly fragile because it's contradictory. If you support trans people, why are they getting harassed on Twitter and stream chat and why are chuds allowed to go. They were challenged over this two days ago, and while they eventually took the right course of action, they looked real bad. To make matters worse, Matt's replies were tragically awful.

Based off my personal experience, he got flustered, and just didn't know what to do (which was literally nothing), and just gave the worst responses imaginable, holy poo poo. Like, GDQ has a PR person, and they're good. I have a feeling Matt did most of this without the PR person being involved because of how flustered he got.

I don't really have a point for this post besides adding some context, and I'm not trying to defend GDQ. They hosed up, and if someone wanted to boycott I wouldn't stop 'em. They need to revamp their stances and formally go from passive "we support poc/trans people!" to "we ban chuds." Matty should also probably never tweet like, ever again, and they need to reevaluate how they broadcast bans and the reports they got in.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
does the elite not still have forums full of these infirm dummies’ bigotposts

years of posts is good evidence lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CJacobs posted:

I mean, the new person they could get to make such decisions doesn't have to be a member of the minorities in question, they just have to understand the position they're in and represent them properly. Realistically it could be any human being of actual worth, instead of people who do nothing.

Nah, sticking some cishet white dude who claims allyship is never gonna be an equal substitute for an actual minority with lived experience. If gdq came out and said were gonna take these issues seriously from now on, let me introduce A Wyatt Mann as our minority outreach coordinator or whatever i would know immediately theyre full of poo poo. You want to be an ally you need to be able to take a step back and let them in instead of doing it in the name of

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

site posted:

I took these two to mean that placing minorities into leadership/decision making positions wasnt a good idea, but if i misunderstood then sorry

i must've phrased that badly because i definitely meant the opposite -- that you shouldn't rely on LGBQT people in relatively low-ranking, non-executive positions to do a bunch of unpaid labor to try to tamp down on bigotry in your organization, you should pay them appropriately and give them authority to make the necessary reforms needed to create a safe and inclusive community.

site posted:

Nah, sticking some cishet white dude who claims allyship is never gonna be an equal substitute for an actual minority with lived experience. If gdq came out and said were gonna take these issues seriously from now on, let me introduce A Wyatt Mann as our minority outreach coordinator or whatever i would know immediately theyre full of poo poo. You want to be an ally you need to be able to take a step back and let them in instead of doing it in the name of

:agreed:

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 29, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you genuinely want minority input, then yeah, they need to be in an actual position (paid commensurately) to execute policy, not just consult and make recommendations that can be ignored.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

eke out posted:

i must've phrased that badly because i definitely meant the opposite -- that you shouldn't rely on LGBQT people in relatively low-ranking, non-executive positions to do a bunch of unpaid labor to try to tamp down on bigotry in your organization, you should pay them appropriately and give them authority to make the necessary reforms needed to create a safe and inclusive community.

Oh jeeze, im sorry. YES

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a simple "cmon, really?" Is sometimes enough to get them to regret their words and deeds. If these people are in insular enough communities, like the elite, its possible theyve never had any kind of pushback at all ever to saying these kinds of things. If they double down just deck them lol

This is more or less the sort of thing I wish could happen in speedrunning before the somewhat nuclear option of just isolating someone from events entirely and is the sort of thing I've posted about before

but in the past few years of being repeatedly disappointed with the subculture on this front, speedrunning has no effective delivery method for that kind of peer shaming. Which leaves GDQ as the only entity that can, really? And I don't trust it to perform that function for a variety of reasons, among just the fact that I inherently distrust American companies regardless of how well I know some of the people behind the scenes? I've heard enough casual hatred at these events to know that it doesn't hold to that ideal reality.

I've wanted to believe that a "this ain't it chief" can cause people to back off, and in the right setting it totally can! Speedrunning does not seem to be that ideal setting. Internet/social media in general aren't great at this.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

hiring ben carson and milo yanapolis to hit my minority quota and fix bigotry

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

site posted:

What do you mean "claims" allyship? What if they just have allyship

edit: Either way you're wrong imo, empathy and critical thinking can cross the boundries of gender/ethnicity/etc. Anybody has the ability to take that stuff into account. If they did hire a minority party in this situation then great, but if not then they wouldn't be any less effective if they actually did the job they are signed onto.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You are pretty well exemplifying people who claim allyship right now

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

ahem

heehee fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 7, 2021

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

site posted:

You are pretty well exemplifying people who claim allyship right now

what cjacobs is saying makes sense to me, just explain urself dude or ur not gonna educate anyone

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

cheese05 exploding over being a Jordan Peterson defender right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

heeheex2 posted:

what cjacobs is saying makes sense to me, just explain urself dude or ur not gonna educate anyone

Did uh...did you not read this

site posted:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

heeheex2 posted:

One person is saying that we need to make room for queer and non-white voices in communities if they want to be seen as open and tolerant environments, and the other person is saying "actually I'm pretty sure we can do it with only straight white men" and you think the latter is the one that makes sense?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It is theoretically possible for a straight white cis male who's put a lot of time into researching the topic to represent minority interests well.

It is not only theoretically possible, but incredibly common, for a straight white cis male to think they can represent minority interests well while actually loving up and getting a bunch of important stuff wrong. Because doing this sort of work requires more than just goodwill, it also requires actual knowledge, and by far the easiest way to get that knowledge is lived experience in dealing with discrimination that they don't have. And then, when they're called out on loving up, they usually get defensive - because after all, their intentions really were good, and no-one likes being told they hosed up, and some of the people telling them they hosed up are (rightfully) angry and therefore being insulting. At worst they go on tilt and dig themselves into a deeper hole than they can reasonably escape from. Case in point: Matt.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

One person is saying that we need to make room for queer and non-white voices in communities if they want to be seen as open and tolerant environments, and the other person is saying "actually I'm pretty sure we can do it with only straight white men" and you think the latter is the one that makes sense?

I think you’re interpreting cjacobs posts incorrectly. Empathy is a human trait, not specific to whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

420 Gank Mid posted:

What the gently caress lol, I literally said anybody could do the job

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

site posted:

Did uh...did you not read this

did you see my ben carson milo yanapolis shitpost

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CJacobs posted:

Well I think the last 48 hours have proved that to be demonstrably untrue as Matt, despite whatever intentions he has, hosed the job up insanely badly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I am saying is that there's no point waiting around for the exact right someone-who-can-do-the-job, when the current people cannot do the job. Trying to twist my words into saying I think minorities should be kept out of GDQ or out of managerial positions is really hosed up and I don't appreciate it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CJacobs posted:

you should seriously back off and pick your battles better, 'technically, the person doing this doesn't HAVE to be lgbqt' is exactly the wrong kind of pedantic point to try to press right now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So now wanting minorities in these positions is waiting for the exact right person as if they are somehow hard to find and Not All Men but we're the ones twisting words

pumpinglemma posted:

It is not only theoretically possible, but incredibly common, for a straight white cis male to think they can represent minority interests well while actually loving up and getting a bunch of important stuff wrong. Because doing this sort of work requires more than just goodwill, it also requires actual knowledge, and by far the easiest way to get that knowledge is lived experience in dealing with discrimination that they don't have. And then, when they're called out on loving up, they usually get defensive - because after all, their intentions really were good, and no-one likes being told they hosed up, and some of the people telling them they hosed up are (rightfully) angry and therefore being insulting. At worst they go on tilt and dig themselves into a deeper hole than they can reasonably escape from. Case in point: cjacobs.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
do you guys know that most of the GDQ leadership is minorities or is this beside the point

It's more complex than hire minorities fix video games, I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

site posted:

So now wanting minorities in these positions is waiting for the exact right person as if they are somehow hard to find and Not All Men but we're the ones twisting words

Wow. Ok I'm tapping out this is ridiculous lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

why are you guys misinterpreting CJacobs posts so intentionally? Disrespectful folks we’re all trying to have an honest discussion here ...

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Wow. Ok I'm tapping out this is ridiculous lol

fwiw I understand what you’re saying.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

yeah I think you're taking Jacobs posts on weirdly bad faith

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

max payne 3 speedruns SUCK

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i skipped over the last 40 posts

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

CJacobs posted:

What I am saying is that there's no point waiting around for the exact right someone-who-can-do-the-job, when the current people cannot do the job.

"GDQ needs someone better" is something everyone agrees on, but I think you're wrong about there being no point. Who fills or creates this representational role is going to matter, by the very nature of the role. If the act of waiting hurts GDQ that's their medicine to swallow.
IMHO it seems like people are pretty close to agreement here and we're mostly missing on 'can' vs. 'should' semantics and this time-based pragmatism I disagree with

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think almost anyone can recognize that when a bunch of people are discussing issues of minority representation, "you don't need to hire a minority just someone who will be good and represent them well" is going to be poorly received by members of said minority!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

CJacobs posted:

What I am saying is that there's no point waiting around for the exact right someone-who-can-do-the-job, when the current people cannot do the job. Trying to twist my words into saying I think minorities should be kept out of GDQ or out of managerial positions is really hosed up and I don't appreciate it.
Actually what you said is:

CJacobs posted:

What do you mean "claims" allyship? What if they just have allyship

edit: Either way you're wrong imo, empathy and critical thinking can cross the boundries of gender/ethnicity/etc. Anybody has the ability to take that stuff into account. If they did hire a minority party in this situation then great, but if not then they wouldn't be any less effective if they actually did the job they are signed onto.
In other words, that there's no particular reason to favour minority candidates because any non-bigot with basic critical thinking skills can do the job equally well. Which is false. Someone with basic empathy and critical thinking skills but with no lived experience is pretty likely to gently caress up like Matt just did, at least unless they've spent a lot of time studying other people's experiences in a way that goes far beyond having an [insert minority here] friend. That's pretty much the dictionary definition of privilege - not knowing or understanding the full extent of what minorities have to deal with because you don't deal with it yourself on a regular basis. It doesn't make you a bad person, but it does make you an ineffective ally if you don't recognise it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nah hes done this same schtick in another thread too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CJacobs posted:

Yes, implying that the job of fostering an open and tolerant community could be done by a homogenous group of straight white men is the thing I am criticizing you for.

rooting out bigotry is not just some job anyone can do, it's tough work