Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Trader Joe's was mentioned a bit ago but the pound plus bars are pretty good for the price and since it's x-mas time now they have the gently caress-off huge bars back in stock.

If you decide you want to go full retard like I've been doing you can order some raw or roasted cacao beans from this guy and grind your own.
http://chocolatealchemy.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Guittard makes a couple milk chocolate bars with different cacao percentages and doesn't seem like anything added to them. I have never seen them in a store but have used their chip/wafers and made a decent enough snack while baking.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've heard great things about Tony's Chocolonely, but haven't tried it myself. There's an upscale market in my neighborhood that sells their bars...so thanks for the excuse to buy some.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Has anyone by any chance bought the Noma fermentation book and tried to make one of the fermentation chambers they describe in the front of the book? I could use a little advice on the specific items you bought to put the whole thing together (and how putting a space heater under a blanket or plastic sheet doesn't burn your house down).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

Has anyone by any chance bought the Noma fermentation book and tried to make one of the fermentation chambers they describe in the front of the book? I could use a little advice on the specific items you bought to put the whole thing together (and how putting a space heater under a blanket or plastic sheet doesn't burn your house down).

on my xmas list...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What a great night last night at Repeal Day! Vegas is a great town for culinary events, especially when you get off strip. Really amazing old timey steak dinner with oysters Rockefeller and steak Oscar (I loving love steak Oscar why did that ever go out of style?) followed by awesome cocktails powered by house distilled hooch in the secret basement of the mob museum. Dancing, a hot five jazz band, skewers of pork belly and other little treats being brought around on trays by girls in flapper dresses, everything. This is how you're supposed to do Wednesday!

Bart, you're a hell of a gentleman! Thank you so much for the invite!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/SpencerAlthouse/status/1071564490720862214
Someone posted this in the Schaudenfrade thread and oh my god.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

https://twitter.com/SpencerAlthouse/status/1071564490720862214
Someone posted this in the Schaudenfrade thread and oh my god.

This is how I react to my Mom's cooking cuz I love the lady but she thinks salt will instantly cause your heart to explode out of your chest

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Speaking of salt, I've got a CHF patient and a type 2 diabetes patient I have to accomodate for Christmas dinner. Whats good that has no salt and little sugar?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

Speaking of salt, I've got a CHF patient and a type 2 diabetes patient I have to accomodate for Christmas dinner. Whats good that has no salt and little sugar?
Carrots cooked in cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg butter are decadent as hell. You can use all kinds of acids and peppers and remain salt-free too; pan-seared fish with lemon juice, dill, and some black pepper's always good. Or, making a porchetta and going heavy on citrus/spices on the inside can hide that you aren't salting the outside. Food's always going to be a little messed up but like, there's a million herbs and spices and acids that have no salt and very little sugar that you can use to dress things up.

Plus, there's a million vegetables that all you gotta do is lightly char in a broiler to turn into flavor bombs. Avoid stocks, but pan juices from all kinda meats add so much flavor. I have to cook like this for my MIL and flavors are definitely different to what I like to eat on my own, but salt and sugar are really easy to skip if you're not afraid of spice or acid.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where has Secret Aardvark's Habanero sauce been in my life before now?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

Trader Joe's was mentioned a bit ago but the pound plus bars are pretty good for the price and since it's x-mas time now they have the gently caress-off huge bars back in stock.

If you decide you want to go full retard like I've been doing you can order some raw or roasted cacao beans from this guy and grind your own.
http://chocolatealchemy.com

“Full retard” could be better phrased. Please?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Azuth0667 posted:

If this person isn't used to eating much salt, remember that their taste buds will probably be more sensitive. Green peas are great. Vinegars are wonderful too.

My planned meals when I go zero salt are often something like brown rice with green peas mixed in, green beans and beets with red wine vinegar, black pepper, and garlic, and a piece of lean roast meat. If you haven't been eating much salt, that will be plenty flavourful.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Full PretentiousFood?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

'full autist' works probably about as well, retard seems to capture the sentiment pretty well though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

'full autist' works probably about as well, retard seems to capture the sentiment pretty well though

Maybe, but I’m sure there’s a way of expressing it that doesn’t use the word retard.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

Cool cool, my 8 year old son has autism, wanna just straight up call my son names or make fun of him?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

No Wave posted:

Theo chocolate is really good and is the cheapest best chocolate I've had that doesn't use slaves.
I haven't tried any of these other brands people are mentioning but I've had Theo and it's pretty good.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

mindphlux posted:

They’re both incredibly lovely edgelord teenage things to say, though. If you can’t think of another way to say what you’re feeling, keep it to yourself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sweet Custom Van posted:

They’re both incredibly lovely edgelord teenage things to say, though. If you can’t think of another way to say what you’re feeling, keep it to yourself.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, I get that 'full retard' is a movie reference, but let's get past it. It's 2018, other things are just as fine for self-deprecation without insulting anyone else.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"go full mindphlux"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

"go full mindphlux"

That’s more rear end in a top hat than idiot though, isn’t it?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
did you just call his son an idiot

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

did you just call his son an idiot

Nope. I was referring to the original use of the expression.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

therattle posted:

Nope. I was referring to the original use of the expression.

this is what racists say to justify their use of a certain racist slur

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Go full nooner

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

this is what racists say to justify their use of a certain racist slur

Shoot, ya got me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Cool cool, my 8 year old son has autism, wanna just straight up call my son names or make fun of him?

ya lol hell yeah like shootin fish in a barrel let;s go!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Go full nooner

a latin kick

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just broke into the whole bean kona coffee, ground down that brown that's down to pound, the good drip, and sipping this distilled sunshine while looking out on a grey, but not too cold day, and making baked oatmeal.

Just a lazy Saturday morning with the dog and the boyfriend :p

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Whalley posted:

Carrots cooked in cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg butter are decadent as hell. You can use all kinds of acids and peppers and remain salt-free too; pan-seared fish with lemon juice, dill, and some black pepper's always good. Or, making a porchetta and going heavy on citrus/spices on the inside can hide that you aren't salting the outside. Food's always going to be a little messed up but like, there's a million herbs and spices and acids that have no salt and very little sugar that you can use to dress things up.

Plus, there's a million vegetables that all you gotta do is lightly char in a broiler to turn into flavor bombs. Avoid stocks, but pan juices from all kinda meats add so much flavor. I have to cook like this for my MIL and flavors are definitely different to what I like to eat on my own, but salt and sugar are really easy to skip if you're not afraid of spice or acid.

CommonShore posted:

If this person isn't used to eating much salt, remember that their taste buds will probably be more sensitive. Green peas are great. Vinegars are wonderful too.

My planned meals when I go zero salt are often something like brown rice with green peas mixed in, green beans and beets with red wine vinegar, black pepper, and garlic, and a piece of lean roast meat. If you haven't been eating much salt, that will be plenty flavourful.

Thanks, I'm going to do a test run of the beets and the carrots. The no salt diet has been a shock so I hope these are a nice pick me up for them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hypothetically, what would you imagine a dish called "Chicken Damnation" to be?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Brawnfire posted:

I dunno, go take it to the Creamed Spinach experimentation station.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842964&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Is it anything like a Doom Rooster?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 19, 2018

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Ortolan bunting, but stuffing an entire chicken down your throat

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

An entire chicken deep fried and turned into one big hot wing

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Brawnfire posted:

Forest Chicken

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/mala-chicken/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BrianBoitano posted:

An entire chicken deep fried and turned into one big hot wing

This was closest to what I pictured, which was pounded chicken rolled around a hot pepper relish, then floured, breaded, and deep-fried, finished with a hot pepper oil.

gently caress me, I gotta have that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what do you guys usually put in your instant ramen to make it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Brawnfire posted:

This was closest to what I pictured, which was pounded chicken rolled around a hot pepper relish, then floured, breaded, and deep-fried, finished with a hot pepper oil.

gently caress me, I gotta have that.

gently caress me that looks poo poo hot (fnar!) but Dr says no salt nor animal fats. Bloody moll!