Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clambake
Aug 30, 2007
Gabagool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Baba booey

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Fla-Fla-Flunkie

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Lowest common deniner

DangerDummy! posted:

The Jersey eye-tye schtick is something I've heard pretty much the entirety of my 40 years on this planet. I grew up in a very Italian part of a very Roman Catholic part of the country and it's been all mootzarel and gabagool and brazhole as far back as I remember. I'm not saying it didn't spike after the Sopranos, but every fat kid with a unibrow and a Yankees hat talked like that where I'm from.

Yeah, I wasn't necessarily saying it started with Tony Soprano, but that character was written to be the living caricature of east coast Italians. Then The Sopranos came out and further compounded everything awful about that stereotype

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 6, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/oscars-host-kevin-harts-homophobia-is-no-laughing-matter/ar-BBQzJkx?li=AAggSpD

I wonder if ETA ever listened to Kevin Hart?

The article posted:

Hart revealed that he turned down a role in 2008’s Tropic Thunder because the character was gay and his behaviour was “real flagrant” before adding that he’d never be able to play a gay character in the future. “What I think people are going to think while I’m trying to do this is going to stop me from playing that part the way I’m supposed to,” he said.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

tpink posted:

Gabagool is the new bababooey.

Gababooey

Babagool

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's also super regional. My Massachusetts immigrant Italian family didn't use any of the slang from The Sopranos, except for calling red sauce gravy. But things get weird when you localize, for example, my grandparents always put sliced hard boiled egg in their lasagne, that always seemed super New England to me.

Oh, and it looks like even the spelling of lasagne is a localization... my browser doesn't like this one.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Artie looks like he has a permanent nose bleed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_20m1uyf_mU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
God drat that is disgusting

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Jesus Christ, hand him a kleenex.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Sounds lucid though. I can actually understand what he's saying

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's also super regional. My Massachusetts immigrant Italian family didn't use any of the slang from The Sopranos, except for calling red sauce gravy. But things get weird when you localize, for example, my grandparents always put sliced hard boiled egg in their lasagne, that always seemed super New England to me.

The hard-boiled eggs is a Sicilian thing. My grandparents came from Catania at really young ages and grew up in the Italian area of Lawrence. Every Christmas, they cook a massive falso magro, which is a big rear end flank steak hollowed out, filled with hard-boiled eggs and sausage, and then wrapped in mortadella and smothered in red sauce. It is loving incredible and I wish they'd make that poo poo year round. It's a total pain in the rear end to cook but the meal is goddamn phenomenal.

As a fellow MA Italian family, we don't really use the slang either. My grandpa is known to Mutter "cose di pazzi" which I guess is his Italian way of saying goddamnit. My dad, who is as Irish as they come, couldn't ever pronounce "falso magro" so he'd just call it "false morris" which made it really hard for me to find out how the gently caress it was actually spelled

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

The hard-boiled eggs is a Sicilian thing. My grandparents came from Catania at really young ages and grew up in the Italian area of Lawrence. Every Christmas, they cook a massive falso magro, which is a big rear end flank steak hollowed out, filled with hard-boiled eggs and sausage, and then wrapped in mortadella and smothered in red sauce. It is loving incredible and I wish they'd make that poo poo year round. It's a total pain in the rear end to cook but the meal is goddamn phenomenal.

As a fellow MA Italian family, we don't really use the slang either. My grandpa is known to Mutter "cose di pazzi" which I guess is his Italian way of saying goddamnit. My dad, who is as Irish as they come, couldn't ever pronounce "falso magro" so he'd just call it "false morris" which made it really hard for me to find out how the gently caress it was actually spelled

That sounds pretty great -- I wonder if you can buy slices of falso magro somewhere.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Evil Agita posted:

Sounds lucid though. I can actually understand what he's saying

I'm not going to get into my personal poo poo but I have enough experience to tell you 99 times out of a 100 when someone is using again. Artie is doing something right now that is interesting because he is counting the days he's been sober. If a year from now he's still doing that, I'll believe he's stayed sober. But 30 day rehabs aren't going to do poo poo. People who have truly stopped using tend to never stop talking about it. Brandon Novak is a great example of that and I'm really proud of him. Over 3 years sober:

https://www.instagram.com/brandon__novak/?hl=en

Tom Arnold is another guy who is obviously sober and a bit preachy at times, but hey.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I hear you man. I've been sober for almost 6000 days now since trying a little weed in college in 2002 and every day is a blessing.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

kolby posted:

People who have truly stopped using tend to never stop talking about it.

Any insight as to why? When I hear someone who is sober and won't stop talking about being sober, I feel like it's because they really aren't happy being sober and need to keep convincing themselves that is how they want to live...

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I think it just depends on your personality. I'm approaching 4 years sober, and never mention it to anyone outside of my close friends and family unless someone specifically asks me why I don't drink.

I hope Artie gets well, but as of now I don't have much faith in his sobriety. We all know the only reason he did 21 days in rehab (with breaks to perform at comedy clubs) was because he's hoping to stay out of prison. I fully expect he'll conveniently find himself in the hospital next week with diabetic issues to delay his court date again.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

kolby posted:

I'm not going to get into my personal poo poo but I have enough experience to tell you 99 times out of a 100 when someone is using again. Artie is doing something right now that is interesting because he is counting the days he's been sober. If a year from now he's still doing that, I'll believe he's stayed sober. But 30 day rehabs aren't going to do poo poo. People who have truly stopped using tend to never stop talking about it. Brandon Novak is a great example of that and I'm really proud of him. Over 3 years sober:

https://www.instagram.com/brandon__novak/?hl=en

Tom Arnold is another guy who is obviously sober and a bit preachy at times, but hey.

Novak turned his poo poo around so hard for the better, and that fuckass Bam was loving writing letters to him in rehab talking all this poo poo and telling him he would never succeed. loving assrat even posted long diatribes about how much of a piece of poo poo Novak was behind his back, and now look at where that guy has ended up. He's at the rear end end of a massive alcohol dependence and can't unfuck himself no matter how much he pulls an Artie and claims to be getting better.

Guy moved to Spain so he could focus on his skating and like five days ago he posted a video to Instagram of him hammered as gently caress, smashing a guitar Ape gave him right in front of her. I bet he loving WISHES he could walk a mile in Novak's shoes now. Total bastard.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for posting that about Novak. Looking through his instagram makes me smile at how well his life seems to have turned out. I was a huge Bam fan back in the day, and every episode Novak was on he seemed wasted/out of it. It was hard to watch, and I hoped he was just doing it all for the camera. As for Bam, it's pretty hard to grow up decent when you get rich in your teens for being a bit of a dick. When that all ended, he didn't really have anything to fall back on, and I'm sure the death of Dunn also added to his spiral.

I also used to be an Artie fan, and he's sort of what got me into Howard (and this great thread). But he's hurt so many people with his addiction, it's hard to root/hope for him. I still think he hasn't hit rock bottom yet, and he'll really need help to deal with his addictions.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Along those lines I'll also say that Steve-O's story is a good one. He was always the craziest and most desperate of the Jackass bunch, but for a while now he has come across as sincerely clean, not preachy, and working hard. He just seems like a good guy.

Back to what I was referring to, I think "how bad of an addict" plays a lot in to it. I know a number of people that drank a lot for a year or two of their lives, saw the problems it caused them, and stopped, that would consider themselves "sober". They never really talk about being sober. Folks I have met that spent many more years doing much harder stuff than a few drinks most nights appear to have more propensity to regularly identify themselves as "sober" as a way to reaffirm it. I am not in any way badmouthing it, but it just seems like the more prone a person is to substance abuse, the more they need reaffirm their sobriety. It's along the same lines where the more someone identifies as militantly vegan, the more I think they want a cheddar infused hotdog and are pretending otherwise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tan video is crazy

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lifespan posted:

Any insight as to why? When I hear someone who is sober and won't stop talking about being sober, I feel like it's because they really aren't happy being sober and need to keep convincing themselves that is how they want to live...

In my experience, you replace one addiction with another. So while someone may not be drinking, the program is now what consumes all their thoughts and energy. I think this is also why some addicts get all into religion.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

I hear you man. I've been sober for almost 6000 days now since trying a little weed in college in 2002 and every day is a blessing.

I dunno if you're familiar with Jim Norton but he partied like a normal kid in High School and went to rehab at 17 years old. 33 years later he still talks about it like he just quit heroin and it's ridiculous.

Lifespan posted:

From my experience, it's just like, "Hey, I went through hell too but I figured it out! Let me help!" But there's definitely people how you describe.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I think it just depends on your personality. I'm approaching 4 years sober, and never mention it to anyone outside of my close friends and family unless someone specifically asks me why I don't drink.

You are exactly right. I feel like I came off cocky with the "99 times out of 100" thing. I meant that for people in my own life. I feel like FAMOUS people talk about it more if that make sense. Like Tom Arnold going to Jimmy Kimmel's parties and trying to get drunk people to go to rehab lol.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

kolby posted:

I dunno if you're familiar with Jim Norton but he partied like a normal kid in High School and went to rehab at 17 years old. 33 years later he still talks about it like he just quit heroin and it's ridiculous.

He also thinks Chip Chipperson is hilarious and none of his comedian friends have the heart to tell him it's super hacky.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lifespan posted:

Ever notice how parents won't shut up about how great it is to be parents, but people with no kids never bring the topic up at all?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Being sober is a life long struggle for addicts so it's always their focus.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Macy gray cover of creep Fred played last week was crazy good

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

What else Robin

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

baba booey

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

KO, which is GANGSTER TALK for knocked out RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There's a new woman at my job that everyone hates because she never, ever shuts up and she was talking at me about her personal life and despite me saying fewer than 20 words to her she was complaining to be about her chiropractor appointment being cancelled today while I literally had turned my back to her and I lol'd because I thought of ETM's "SHUDDAP...for a minute" in that moment and she must've thought I was laughing at her cause she went "well fine I'll just GO then if you find this funny" and left and she hasn't ever been back to my office since.

Thank you ETM.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

baba booey

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Holy crap, I just got done listening to the Sal Job Interview from last weeks show. I haven't laughed that hard at the show in awhile.

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

Tata Toothy

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Mimesweeper posted:

Right well... if you are, uh, Lowtax, um. I don't really know whether you are or not but if you are, um, do you know about the, um, posts he makes?

i seriously think about this post every day and laugh

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

kolby posted:

i seriously think about this post every day and laugh

:tipshat:

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Shut your mouth oval office face

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did they stop doing new Sternthologies on the weekend? I noticed that they posted Monday's but skipped Sat/Sun.

I don't know, the Sirius app has been weird. Shows on some channels have been completely missing from the On Demand some days.

I was hoping that with THREE WEEKS VACATION I'd have some time to catch up on Sternthology I guess.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
im pretty sure i already said this in this thread at least twice but a while ago i had a new apprentice at work and asked if he ever listened to howard stern, and he said "who?", and that was the day the last shred of me died inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

baba booey