Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My lawyer is suggesting I post to clarify i have no inside info about any dumb poo poo that may happen to take place on the third day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
instantly suspicious of day 3

gonna sleep in

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

instantly suspicious of day 3

gonna sleep in
:comfyzelda:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

My lawyer says that I should say that I do have inside information and on the third day, mike uyama will accidentally be seen sneaking out of the room with a canvas bag that has "charity bucks" written on it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

My lawyer says that I should say that I do have inside information and on the third day, mike uyama will accidentally be seen sneaking out of the room with a canvas bag that has "charity bucks" written on it.

the charity bucks will secretly be going to a mono prevention charity

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

i thought my run was on the second day local time

Tuesday 1 AM is the start of the third day.

The day

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Studio posted:

Tuesday 1 AM is the start of the third day.

The day

no it's Tuesday that makes it day 2

Sunday is day 0

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

no it's Tuesday that makes it day 2

Sunday is day 0

do brits really call the first day something of it the zeroth day

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

eonwe posted:

do Americans not have a zero day? how do you know when it starts?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Do you start lists at 0? Outside of programming?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

SoftNum posted:

This was probably asked already but any really killer / must watch runs this time around? I see both sexrex and punchy on the schedule, but any other cool games that may slip under the radar?

Awful Block has been mentioned already but I'm especially exited for Mohawk & Headphone Jack

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

eonwe posted:

Only computer scientist Brits. But this is the speedrunning thread, so...

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
It's faster if you use "one-skip" and start all lists with "2"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
And here I thought colonialism was the worst thing to come out of the British Empire...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Do you start lists at 0? Outside of programming?

actually, its fairly simple,

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

0 day is Saturday, Sunday it starts so it's day 1, and this ain't an array!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Next up, a discussion on whether "next saturday" means this upcoming saturday or next week's saturday

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It's faster if you use "one-skip" and start all lists with "2"
Actually, zero became a convention because it was the fastest way! Back in the Old Times, when mainframes walked the earth, a list would be implemented as a continuous string of memory. Memory is divided into equal-sized chunks called "words". So on a toy system where we don't care about negative numbers or decimals or numbers larger than 255, we might have 8-bit words and a list of three numbers might look like:
code:
01001101 00001111 1000000
---77---|---15---|---64---
On creating a list, you'd set aside the space in memory, and store the address A of the first word of the list. Then the zeroth entry of the list is word A, the first entry is word A + 1, and in general the ith entry of the list is word A + i. If you started numbering from one instead, then it would be word A + (i-1). Calculating A+i is twice as fast as calculating A+i-1, so people just started counting from zero.

And that is why if a programmer comes up to you at a party, you should turn and run while you still can.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Actually, zero became a convention because it was the fastest way! Back in the Old Times, when mainframes walked the earth, a list would be implemented as a continuous string of memory. Memory is divided into equal-sized chunks called "words". So on a toy system where we don't care about negative numbers or decimals or numbers larger than 255, we might have 8-bit words and a list of three numbers might look like:
code:
01001101 00001111 1000000
---77---|---15---|---64---
On creating a list, you'd set aside the space in memory, and store the address A of the first word of the list. Then the zeroth entry of the list is word A, the first entry is word A + 1, and in general the ith entry of the list is word A + i. If you started numbering from one instead, then it would be word A + (i-1). Calculating A+i is twice as fast as calculating A+i-1, so people just started counting from zero.

And that is why if a programmer comes up to you at a party, you should turn and run while you still can.

A word is 16 bits, not 8. A byte is 8 bits.

Well I guess it depends on the architecture....

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

A word is 16 bits, not 8. A byte is 8 bits.
No, a word is the number of bits of storage contained at each memory address. Modern systems use 64-bit words, the toy system I used to illustrate things used 8-bit words, you could design a system with 27-bit words if you wanted to.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Newly found glitches are zero-day exploits, riiiiight? :smug:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

There's a joke somewhere to make about how Brits also index their building levels ("storeys") by zero with the ground floor/first floor distinction, but it's probably a pointless, unfunny joke. I wouldn't dare try making that joke if I were you.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Next up, a discussion on whether "next saturday" means this upcoming saturday or next week's saturday

Discord uses "last tuesday" to mean 2 days ago, and I don't know anybody who would do this in real life.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i was just trying to mess with eonwe...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i was just trying to mess with eonwe...

hosed up

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

dang, someone pointed out that the run after mine is the first ever iPad run at a GDQ

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SeXReX posted:

dang, someone pointed out that the run after mine is the first ever iPad run at a GDQ

Jubeat Plus (all songs) (line skip glitch allowed)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

You really ought to have used 0,0

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

And after that, we'll talk about whether biweekly means every other week or twice a week!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Does the person who won a race in the uk come in 0st place?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I don't even know how to respond to this in a healthy manner
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1081277336744538115?s=19

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Well, it had a good run, but I think GDQ is done now.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Turns out that the whole GDQ was just a long-term viral marketing campaign.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh no, sponsored content instead of static crowd shots between runs

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
hey all, used up my sick days at the start of the year and then discovered AGDQ starts in like, 70 hours.

which is great cause I'm feeling like I should get a less horny avatar and so am looking forward to pilfering one from the thread, but less great cause now I gotta work and sleep and poo poo inbetween runs

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

flatluigi posted:

oh no, sponsored content instead of static crowd shots between runs

I'm Thinkin arbys

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

h jon benjamin talking about Arby's artisinal speedruns

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
oh boy, maybe now enough scrutiny will be on GDQ staff that coolmatty might have to answer some basic questions about what behavior he does or does not believe is disqualifying for perspective runners.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SeXReX posted:

I think "don't eat Arby's" would certainly count as healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

oh boy, maybe now enough scrutiny will be on GDQ staff that coolmatty might have to answer some basic questions about what behavior he does or does not believe is disqualifying for perspective runners.

I didn't know Arby's had that much power