Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

The reality: years at WSMR doing tests until it’s cancelled.

This. Getting there at 6am cause they’re gonna do a test shot and close down the only loving road again until 10am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ice Fist posted:

This was fun to read. The entire article can be boiled down to "there was a lot of infighting just after world war 2 over the defense money pie but lol none of it mattered because Korea happened"

Also it's even funnier to read with hindsight glasses because the idea now that the only thing we'd ever need for defense is a fleet of strategic bombers is hilarious. Even after 1945 "the bomber will always get through" was still a thing people believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xtEgw4WsTM

1. At the start, America has basically none of these things now, ouch 1950s narrator

2. A happy young family looks up to see literally a fleet of B-36s drone by

3. The narrator keeps using nautical metaphors, describing the B-36 as a "Dreadnought" and later saying they "patrol the sea of the air" above America. This is presumably to annoy the US Navy.

4. Shots of the Ft. Worth factory in the late 1940s assembling the B-36. They show how they had to tilt the big honkeys just to get them outside. They also show the airport baggage cart-like thing they used as a lunch car on the factory floor.

5. "When reason fails, *STRENGTH* prevails."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

4. Shots of the Ft. Worth factory in the late 1940s assembling the B-36. They show how they had to tilt the big honkeys just to get them outside.

Interesting about the factory workers but what about the airplanes

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phy posted:

:eyepop:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Electric Wrigglies posted:

This is all beside the point that the TU95's would not be used in an attack on the US mainland and the F22s are not about fighting a near peer but overmatching little countries that look at the US sideways when told what to do.

The first part is irrelevant and the second is false.

shame on an IGA posted:

Post 1945 only one bomber has to get through

Also DCA is hard. Especially when you don't have enough fighters.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 23, 2019

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
re: nukechat, thanks for the responses! I'm still not clear when the decision was made to have the Air Force control all the strategic ICBMs instead of the Army (who had their own nuclear missiles too). Was it just sort of the default since nuclear cruise missiles (eg the MGM-1 Matador) were developed by the USAF before they designed ICBMs? I guess the army had to be satisfied with having their own theater ballistic missiles later.

Also does that mean a theoretical future Pershing 3D IMAX would be under the Army again?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Army doesn't control little theater nuke stuff now. That's long gone. The nuke-havers are USAF and USN.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Phy posted:

Did an actual for real IRL LOL at this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neophyte posted:

re: nukechat, thanks for the responses! I'm still not clear when the decision was made to have the Air Force control all the strategic ICBMs instead of the Army (who had their own nuclear missiles too). Was it just sort of the default since nuclear cruise missiles (eg the MGM-1 Matador) were developed by the USAF before they designed ICBMs? I guess the army had to be satisfied with having their own theater ballistic missiles later.

Also does that mean a theoretical future Pershing 3D IMAX would be under the Army again?

This 1955 SecDef memo assigning ICBM development to the Air Force is key.

See this 1957 newspaper article for the continuing fight.

Wikipedia’s page on the Jupiter missile’s history isn’t half bad and I stole that newspaper article from the citations.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 23, 2019

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1091083/iran-news-us-military-world-war-3-army-middle-east-conflict-drone-RT-strait-of-hormuz

Forgive the retarded article, but this seems pretty worrying if true. Observing video is one thing, but seizing control is obviously a problem.

The behavior of the drone itself is interesting to see, as is the erratic behavior from the video feeds etc.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 23, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dandywalken posted:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1091083/iran-news-us-military-world-war-3-army-middle-east-conflict-drone-RT-strait-of-hormuz

Forgive the retarded article, but this seems pretty worrying if true. Observing video is one thing, but seizing control is obviously a problem.

The behavior of the drone itself is interesting to see, as is the erratic behavior from the video feeds etc.

Yeah, Iran's super deadly stealth fighter is also worrying if true. They both have about the same degree of credibility.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, I don't believe it at all. People would be shocked at how often Predators and Reapers have crashed over the years. The CAOC literally has (had?) a little memorial wall with pictures of lost drones (as a joke).

It's extremely unlikely that Tehran "hacked" and took control, and if they simply jammed control signals the aircraft revert to preprogrammed routes, they don't just fall out of the sky.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

5. "When reason fails, *STRENGTH* prevails."

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM -- the King's last word

Nothing new under the sun.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cat Mattress posted:

ULTIMA RATIO REGUM -- the King's last word

Nothing new under the sun.

Louis sighed as he drew his 6 pounder.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

This 1955 SecDef memo assigning ICBM development to the Air Force is key.

See this 1957 newspaper article for the continuing fight.

Wikipedia’s page on the Jupiter missile’s history isn’t half bad and I stole that newspaper article from the citations.

Thanks! This is great. Lord I love internecine military squabbles. This one was apparently bad enough that a Army colonel decided to leak secret project information to the press to get the SecDef to change his mind about the rocket programs going to the AF, and was court-martialled for it.

I mean it's no IJA vs IJN assassination fest, but still not bad for a peacetime democracy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Prop planes get yet one more maneuver kill on a jet pilot.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...low-speed-turn/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

and the WSO expected to bank 30 to 45 degrees, but no more than 90 degrees.

Um...

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

For the benefit of non-UK goons, the Express is on a par with the Daily Mail as a source of dubious legitimacy.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The TITLE being written LIKE this WAS as FAR as I got.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Here is a Gif of the testing of the CBU-105 they miss

https://gfycat.com/cluelessblissfulhind-airforce-military-defence-us-navy-rifle

Source video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY9gojFu-_U

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

He added aileron to an unintentional low-speed snap roll. Whoopsie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tythas posted:

Here is a Gif of the testing of the CBU-105 they miss

I've heard a few pilots/WSOs say that while the CBU-105 has uses, the defense industry claim that it can neutralize an entire column in one pass would require a collection of miracles, accidents, and good fortune to ever actually come to fruition.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I've heard a few pilots/WSOs say that while the CBU-105 has uses, the defense industry claim that it can neutralize an entire column in one pass would require a collection of miracles, accidents, and good fortune to ever actually come to fruition.

I remember reading about 2 tornadoes wiping out an entire column of armored vehicles in Libya with a couple dozen brimstones. Not sure what purpose the cbu-105 serves if you can just do that from standoff range.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Huh, so it turns out you can’t fly a turboprop like an F-18.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

large hands posted:

I remember reading about 2 tornadoes wiping out an entire column of armored vehicles in Libya with a couple dozen brimstones. Not sure what purpose the cbu-105 serves if you can just do that from standoff range.

I initially thought this referred to actual tornados and boulders and that is far cooler

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 23, 2019

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I initially thought this referred to actually tornados and boulders and that is far cooler

Stoneado 2: "Rock" the Casbah

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Two links from foxtrot alpha:

The government is selling Mil trucks and SUV-ish things

Russia's Navy talks ever bigger as it shrinks still further

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That ITV Growler Jeep like looks like fun

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I would buy the growler in a heartbeat if I wasn’t dead certain trying to get it street legal would drive me insane.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also: American Growler? American Growler? That's your company name?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Totally want myself a Growler, both for the name and because it looks legit awesome.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Totally want myself a Growler, both for the name and because it looks legit awesome.

I kind of love that "growler" is a word that simultaneously means a jug of beer, a giant loving poo poo, and an EAW aircraft.

edit: Yesterday after landing my growler I dropped a growler then drank a growler.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
IIRC the growler the jeep is supposed to fit in the V-22; I recall reading it's a maintenance queen.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Foxtrot Alpha posted:

In late 2018 the Japanese-built floating dry dock PD-50 sank as the Admiral Kuznetsov departed it, leaving Russia without a place to work on large warships.
I'm pretty sure it's Swedish-built. I do not believe Götaverken AB to have ever been owned or staffed by a non-negligible number of Japanese people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

IIRC the growler the jeep is supposed to fit in the V-22; I recall reading it's a maintenance queen.

So it should become an AI forum favorite

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cyrano4747 posted:

I kind of love that "growler" is a word that simultaneously means a jug of beer, a giant loving poo poo, and an EAW aircraft.

edit: Yesterday after landing my growler I dropped a growler then drank a growler.

It's also British slang for "unkempt" lady parts, which provides their exchange officers with endless amusement.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Swedish-built. I do not believe Götaverken AB to have ever been owned or staffed by a non-negligible number of Japanese people.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Just a little more on Russian Naval problems. So, it turns out that the Russians were getting their new ship motors

from the Ukraine

and now they have to figure out how to do that in addition to building new ships. My understanding is that they did start two new ship classes - corvettes and frigates - so I'm not sure if that impacts them. But, they've built precisely one destroyer since the collapse of the USSR, which even Canada might have bettered. Another thing I noticed: you may remember the Kilo class, the successful diesel sub the Russians use and sold everywhere? Well, they designed a successor class named Lada, but apparently Russia is having to de-content the thing so they can afford to build them.

It's a bit of a contrast, on the one hand you have COvert Shores guytalking about lots and lots of arctic undersea warfare / resource stuff, up to and including this hilarious under-ice industrial submarine but at the same time they can't "repair one aircraft carrier" or "construct ship engines"

Here's a neat infographic about the size of the Soviet Navy at the Breakup of the USSR and the size of the Russian Navy today. Opinions wanted about if the Soviets could actually field that many submarines, but it's very noticeable to me how many Soviet projects are *still* being used by Russia.

Also: Canada is apparently filling its defense requirements by scrounging other people's garbage. Can't help but notice the gap between "Fleet of patrol drones operational in the arctic by right now, today" and "buying a single nonfunctional drone airframe."

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mortabis posted:

I recall reading it's a maintenance queen.

That's like the whole point of a jeep.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Mortabis posted:

It is.

I worked on a project that made one into an unmanned ground vehicle and in the process learned how it all was put together. It’s the biggest pile of garbage on four wheels and the marines had hundreds of them in warehouses gathering dust, which is why they tried to make one autonomous (as a squad mule, basically). They hand picked the two best copies for us and they were still trash.

It has rear wheel steering because its turning radius is awful, as well as to fit inside the V22 and get it centered. To get into the V22 you had to lower its airbag suspension, deflate the tires using the CTIS, and then remove the roll cage. The marines were supposed to land in a V22, drive out the back without the roll cage on, get it to safety and get it all reassembled and inflated in something like 90 seconds. The rear wheel steering is controlled with a little joystick on the dash. It locks centered above 7mph or so. There was an issue with them where it wouldn’t auto center when you got above 7, but instead snapped to center at something like 45, which caused them to roll sometimes. Sometimes the rear steering locks stick, which then requires a hammer and some brute force to get them unstuck.

The chassis is all hand built. You can’t put the roll cage from one onto another. Same with the (cloth) doors. The tolerances are just that bad. The only armor of any kind is the bottom seat plate, which sits above the fuel tank.

The engine is Brazilian. The transmission is a GM something or other. They liked to blow up solenoids and leave it in a limp mode.

The wiring behind the dash is the biggest pile of spaghetti you’ve ever seen.

That said, in 4L, it will crawl up any hill you point it at. You can’t stand on the brake hard enough to keep it stopped.

I hate that thing.

E: I forgot, the company that made it was owned by some former marine general or colonel or something and he totally got the contract to build them as a kickback.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think all military vehicles of this ilk are going to be built like 1970s Italian sports cars because there isn't enough volume to make a more efficient and fool proof. Even the cheapest civilian economy car on the road is going to be built way better.