Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah that's the form factor I imagined, but I need the sources combined. Went ahead and got the Mix5. Thanks again guys!

Cool. Use the 2/3 and 4/5 inputs. 1 is meant for instruments/microphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm hitting my head on a somewhat similar issue.

At work, I use a very nice headset. It's connected via two 3.5mm jacks to a USB sound card. Works great for Skype calls, listening to music, all of that stuff. But I want to use that headset for my phone as well, without having to plug/unplug cables all the time. I generally have a lot of remote meetings every day, where half are via Skype and the other half via old-fashioned conference calls, so it has to be convenient and easy to switch back and forth.

Unfortunately it seems that Windows 10 cannot act as a bluetooth headset, which would have been the easiest solution. Windows 7 could do this, but 10 cannot. So I've been looking at whether I need to add a second soundcard, and do some software routing of the sound, I've looked at whether an inexpensive mixer could do it, but nothing really clicked. I checked out suppliers, and they only have a couple of switch boxes meant to switch between headsets and handsets on IP phones, and a couple of expensive boxes for sharing headsets between IP phones and PCs. Close to what I need, but way too expensive, especially with the appriopriate adapters for the Cisco-style phone plugs.

Right now, the best solution I can come up with is:

One RCA composite+audio 3-way switch box
Three TRRS -> 3x RCA cables (composite+audio, this will put the mic signal on the video RCA plug)
Two TRRS -> 2x TRS adapters
Two TRS female -> TRS female adapters.

While I'm sure this could work, it also seems like a bit of a hassle and a silly bunch of adapters for something that should be very simple.

Am I just completely missing something here?

E: Just stumbled across this, which may do what I want, it's certainly a versatile little device: http://www.artproaudio.com/product/splitmix4-four-channel-passive-splitter-mixer/

E2: It does say you shouldn't plug headphones or microphones directly into it, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 27, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I received a subwoofer as a gift and I've never owned one before. How do I hook this thing up? It's a Polk Audio PSW108. I assume my receivers (Denon X1300W) just gets an RCA cable to one of the inputs on the sub? Do I need a Y splitter from the sub to the receiver or is just one connection at the sub fine?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Use the white connection on the sub. And yes, RCA cable from the sub out.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
And remember to go into the speaker settings on your receiver and specify that you actually have a sub.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

And remember to go into the speaker settings on your receiver and specify that you actually have a sub.

Hah, this turned out to be key. Totally forgot and ended up scratching my head for 10 minutes. Thanks guys. I think I've settled on a good volume level where it doesn't shake my house or freak out the cat.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Gunslinger posted:

it doesn't shake my house

Doin' it wrong.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The Gunslinger posted:

it doesn't freak out the cat.

Doin' it wrong.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
No one replied in the mock audiophile thread... I picked up a gogroove preamp off Amazon for $30 cause like, whatever... Any thoughts on the rest?

My dad's had a Thorens TD 165 lying around for... decades? Anyway, he said it didn't work, but I brought it home, threw on a crummy bit of vinyl and it seems fine!

What should I do to put this thing into use? Do I need a gram scale to balance the arm? What's up with the anti-skate(?) string/weight? Recommended compact pre-amp? It's got a Grace F-9 cartridge on it as well.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LRADIKAL posted:

No one replied in the mock audiophile thread... I picked up a gogroove preamp off Amazon for $30 cause like, whatever... Any thoughts on the rest?

My dad's had a Thorens TD 165 lying around for... decades? Anyway, he said it didn't work, but I brought it home, threw on a crummy bit of vinyl and it seems fine!

What should I do to put this thing into use? Do I need a gram scale to balance the arm? What's up with the anti-skate(?) string/weight? Recommended compact pre-amp? It's got a Grace F-9 cartridge on it as well.

It looks like it needs a new stylus.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Thorens are pretty good turntables.

Get a new stylus for that cart, or replace the whole cart with an Ortofon OM10 (or Audio Technica AT95E if you're budget-minded).

Look up a video on youtube on how to balance the arm with the correct amount of force with whatever stylus you have. It's done the same way for any turntable that has that kind of weight on the back of the tonearm, so if you find a video for an SL-1210 or an LP120 turntable, the same method will work for you.

Google a manual to find out how to set up antiskating, I haven't tried setting up the kind with a string myself.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brain Issues posted:

It looks like it needs a new stylus.

Because it has a bit of a dogleg to it? I wasn't sure if that was damage or design. Most of my hands on experience with vinyl is my wife's crummy USB cheap turntable that obviously sounds bad. I honestly don't know much about this stuff.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
that's how it's supposed to look but they're probably saying that just because it's so old.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The picture's crummy but there doesn't appear to be much of a point on the needle.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey ya'll, I've been learning about turntables. Got my preamp and noticed that the thing is going too fast at 33 rpm and that the belt jumps off the pulley in 45rpm. Welp, it was just that the plastic pulley was pushed down. Levered it up, and adjusted it and it looks like we're good to go. I used some silicone grease on the turntable, which is probably too heavy... It definitely doesn't spin for 45 seconds but seems pretty smooth and the pin seems in good condition.

I played a bit of a very nice condition record and it's very crackily, also, it's VERY sensitive to steps near it. It is on a very heavy dresser filled with stuff, so the floor isn't exactly a trampoline.

I tried to take a couple pictures of the needle, but I should have used my real camera, don't know if these are helpful.

Next step is buying a new stylus/cartridge, I guess? Adjusting the suspension? A little scale to make sure I have the right balance? The anti-skate thing somehow regulates the tendancy to slide inward/outward? Sounds like I have to figure it out by ear?

Had to open the thing to remove a retention hook for the inner turntable. Looks like broken bits of a plastic pin, couldn't see where it came from...

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Hi there,

I've got a 7.1 (old) Pioneer amp and I basically only use it to stream movies from my PS4 that I've got connected via HDMI.

I'm noticing that I'm getting a lot of noise from the amplifier when I've got brighter colours (like white) on the screen. I think my first step here is going to be taking the cover off and cleaning any dust and stuff I can out of it. What else could be the issue?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

originalnickname posted:

I'm noticing that I'm getting a lot of noise from the amplifier when I've got brighter colours (like white) on the screen. I think my first step here is going to be taking the cover off and cleaning any dust and stuff I can out of it. What else could be the issue?

Sounds like a TV power supply issue to me, my plasma buzzes noticeably on bright white screens when the sound system is at low volumes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there any decent portable 2.0 speakers below $50? Something you could put in a bag? I'd prefer wired over wireless, just want a little more oomph when watching movies on a laptop with friends (so earphones are out of the question)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I bet some of the Bluetooth speakers Wirecutter reviews have aux inputs

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I have a Yamaha RXV375 and the remote has suddenly stopped working. Pressing the buttons does nothing: no red LED and no IR visible through a camera lens.
About 12 months ago, I had to paint some of the keys to get the volume working again, but now it appears utterly dead.

A genuine remote costs £25.

Any further thoughts on repair (I've opened it up and cannot see any dry joints, etc) Do I just buy one of these, or get a fancy remote and if so, which one?

I think buying a genuine replacement is the sensible option, but I kind of resent paying that much for something that will probably also fail with light use.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sell your unit sans remote and buy a new one with remote and manufacturer's warranty.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Get the cheapest Logitech Harmony you can from the classifieds.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend wants a sound bar for $150. No one recommends those right? What can he get in terms of a 2.0 setup for $150? I assume he needs a receiver then too so maybe $150 isn't possible?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Sell your unit sans remote and buy a new one with remote and manufacturer's warranty.
I had already seriously considered that for 30seconds before I posted here.

evobatman posted:

Get the cheapest Logitech Harmony you can from the classifieds.

Ia there any benefit in getting a certain generation or it is literally if it is a Harmony and it doesn't have teethmark on it, I should buy it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KingKapalone posted:

My friend wants a sound bar for $150. No one recommends those right? What can he get in terms of a 2.0 setup for $150? I assume he needs a receiver then too so maybe $150 isn't possible?

You can pickup a new 2.0 stereo amp for low $100s (I see BestBuy have a Sony one for $120 as an example), and run RCA cables from the TV out to it rather than HDMIs from the individual items. Then look for second hand speakers on CraigsList and the like, you can get really good deals.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

There's this that just popped up in the Coupons forum:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884427

I have the 36" version and it's a great entry setup if he has absolutely no plans to build out a proper home theater.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can pickup a new 2.0 stereo amp for low $100s (I see BestBuy have a Sony one for $120 as an example), and run RCA cables from the TV out to it rather than HDMIs from the individual items. Then look for second hand speakers on CraigsList and the like, you can get really good deals.

So something like that is required right? Just need to pair it with regular passive speakers? I don't think he's interested in surround at all. Would that make a sound bar any more recommendable? I think most people online say no to sound bars and he's a professional drummer so I assume he'd be more attuned to quality sound.

Also could you link that amp please? I don't see it.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 13, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If he’s a pro drummer I’d be more inclined to assume he’s half deaf :v:

I assume this is the receiver at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-with-bluetooth-black/6187501.p?skuId=6187501

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

originalnickname posted:

Hi there,

I've got a 7.1 (old) Pioneer amp and I basically only use it to stream movies from my PS4 that I've got connected via HDMI.

Have you ruled out synaesthesia?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

Ia there any benefit in getting a certain generation or it is literally if it is a Harmony and it doesn't have teethmark on it, I should buy it?

Newer ones have a different client software for your PC, but it doesn't really matter since they draw from the same database of devices and IR codes. One with an LCD display is preferable, since you'll be able to browse through functions there. Other than that it doesn't really matter. I've had the 555, ONE, 1100 and 650, and they all do exactly the same, just in a different plastic body.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If he’s a pro drummer I’d be more inclined to assume he’s half deaf :v:

I've never met a drummer who had hearing that wasn't completely trashed.

"it needs to be louder!" - my drummer friend in a room where the sound was measured at 117.5db at the back wall. :aaaaa:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm considering putting an actual stereo of some sort in my garage rather than just bringing out the UE Boom 2 when I work on cars, but I'm not sure how practical an idea it is.

Requirements:

1.) Bluetooth support, or at least some way for me to get Spotify/SiriusXM from my phone to it, and I don't want to need it wired.

2.) Able to withstand drastic temperatures. The garage is uninsulated and I'm in Wisconsin, so I'd like to plan for -40F (we hit -38F this winter) up to about 120F - the actual temperature won't get that hot, but with the sun beating down on the garage, it can get pretty warm in there. It doesn't need to necessarily *work* during those extremes, since there's no way I'm working on my car in that sort of temperatures, but it needs to not break it. I'm willing to flip a power strip on/off so that it's unpowered when I'm not using it.

3.) I guess other waterproof-type features would be nice, but less necessary since it isn't leaky or anything. But sometimes it gets wet in there.

4.) Reasonably priced - I can get another UE Boom 2 for about $100 and use them in party mode for better sound than just the one, and the more I think about this the better that idea sounds. That said, I still wouldn't mind a fixed stereo that's always out there.

As I was typing this, a second UE Boom 2 really does sound like it's probably a smarter option, but since I went through the trouble, does anyone have any suggestions? I have a spare google home mini that I could maybe hook something up to, but I don't think that thing would survive the temperatures.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I use a cheap car stereo connected to a 12v switching power supply and feeding a pair of unpowered floor speakers.

All in it was about $70 ($25 for the stereo, $15 for the power supply, $30 for the speakers) and I fabricated an enclosure out of sheet metal that I had sitting around that's basically a box open on one end and with a single DIN hole cut in the front with a mounting cage tacked in.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

shortspecialbus posted:

2.) Able to withstand drastic temperatures.
Temperature extremes will shorten the life of electronic stuff, as well as the rubber/wood/paper in the speakers, so use junk or second hand stuff. Using a stereo in the cold is fine, if it's very hot, make sure it has airflow when you're using it.

shortspecialbus posted:

3.) I guess other waterproof-type features would be nice, but less necessary since it isn't leaky or anything. But sometimes it gets wet in there.
If there's condensation on the windows or metal parts of the garage, there'll be condensation on your electronics. Don't use a hi-fi amp in these conditions.

Geoj posted:

I use a cheap car stereo connected to a 12v switching power supply and feeding a pair of unpowered floor speakers.

This is the ideal solution. Car stereo equipment is designed to operate in these conditions.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Thanks! If I'm lucky, I might actually still have an old Eclipse stereo of some sort that would work with Bluetooth. I completely didn't think about using a car stereo here.

If I don't end up just getting a second UE Boom 2, I will probably go that route.

And the "wet" is more that rain blows in sometimes or whatever if I have the door open. It's a ridiculously tall garage and it doesn't seem to have condensation issues. Either way a car stereo might be a good option!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Another benefit of using car gear is head units often have a subwoofer output, so adding a sub is easy.

:getin:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I *do* for sure have an old jl audio 8" sub in a box and an old eclipse amp for it that I haven't gotten rid of for some reason.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Well now I'm jealous. That's just the kind of project I love undertaking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well now I'm jealous. That's just the kind of project I love undertaking.

Bodging together a soundsystem is totally my poo poo too. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I want to get a multi-room setup going on and I also want to get a new receiver while I'm at it. There's a sale at the online electronics shop here (Switzerland) and the Denon HEOS stuff is marked down a fair bit, almost 2 for 1 prices on the HS2s and another good discount on the AVR-X1400H with 2 HS2s.

Will this work the way I want or will I need more kit?
I should be able to just play Tidal or Spotify using the Android app without being near the receiver and put it through whichever speakers I want, right?
If I want to play from my personal library, I'll need a client (Plex/Subsonic) that will output to the receiver, yeah? Youtube also doesn't stream to HEOS? I need a client for that? Could I conceivably use a Chromecast audio to cast to and play through the receiver?

Other questions about the gear:
Are there batteries in the speakers or do they need to be cabled all the time?
Is there anything that's know to interfere with the connection quality between the speakers?

Are there any reasons you would recommend against a HEOS system for a multi-room setup?