Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just to point out that there are a bunch of local elections coming in May, though obviously other issues have meant people aren't talking about them as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jabby posted:

loving nothing on any of the front pages tomorrow about Begum's baby, aside from the Observer. Very happy to splash her all over when she's being denied her citizenship, not so keen on their readers knowing the consequences. Scumbags.

No-one gives a poo poo if the person isn't white.
See also: decades of young ethnic minority teenagers dying due to knife crime and no-one bats an eyelid, but when a photogenic young white woman dies, it's time to act.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

brian posted:

an incredibly big picture

it's fully epic

what's it meant to be, king kong? I don't understand. Rampage? Does Theresa have to go because her planet needs her?

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

baka kaba posted:

it's fully epic

what's it meant to be, king kong? I don't understand. Rampage? Does Theresa have to go because her planet needs her?

i'm gonna go with "someone did this photoshop of theresa may and well ok let's put it on the cover why not"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

jabby posted:

loving nothing on any of the front pages tomorrow about Begum's baby, aside from the Observer. Very happy to splash her all over when she's being denied her citizenship, not so keen on their readers knowing the consequences. Scumbags.

Flashback to when the press spent a full five minutes acting like it cared about anyone remotely connected to the Middle-East in 2015 due to the death of Alan Kurdi followed by an immediate resumption of hateful rhetoric. The British press already used up their entire stores of empathy 4 years ago.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

baka kaba posted:

it's fully epic

if only this were a political cartoon where everything was clearly labelled

I’m seeing it as “may desperately tries to hold crumbling parliment together” but it makes less sense the more you think about it even before the shoddy photoshop job

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I think she is doing one of those zangief pile drivers on it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

brian posted:

it's also amazing that you think she, random twitter personality is the reason corbynism is dead too

i feel like i am reading the posts of someone who is relatively new to politics in general and leftism in particular. that is okay. i cannot however forgive someone trying to start a fight when they also appear new to the concept of reading. i believe i wrote: "i'm thinking rachael swindon *types*" < this implies she is one name that sprung to mind among many others, not the sole name per se. i also described the corbyn project as *currently* in retreat, not dead. try actually reading and digesting the words onscreen. you're also the one who said i was trying to get you "to hate" the random twitter person, which i quite obviously was not. again, read. digest. comprehend. then respond.

brian posted:

but let's not get into the galactic brain jumps that you're going to pass off as reason, I just don't care man, go hog wild with your punching left bullshit and you'll get the lovely failed project you clearly have dreams of

you so don't care we've now had two furious garbage posts defending the "random twitter personality". i must conclude you are rachael, i am sorry for your loss.

but srsly, if you honestly believe there aren't cranks on our side of the aisle who at the very least need to be educated about why certain beliefs and ways of phrasing their arguments need to change, and if even mentioning in passing that we do have a problem has been enough to set you off raving about 'left punching' the way you are rn, if self-crit is just an abstract concept to you and you don't think it's actually integral to the movement, then it's possible you are one of the people i'm talking about. just a thought. luckily you have yet to reach your 20s, there is still time to develop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Hobo posted:

I’m happy to be corrected on this, but I think the problem with Jess Philips is that her constant positioning of her being working class is based on the British cultural definition of class - what food you eat, what TV shows you watch, how you cut your toast - rather than an economic one. That’s not unusual, but this is combined with constant self promotion, and it ends being looking like promoting a future leadership that’s based on whatever the “working class” equivalent of HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDS is.

I say this because she seems to constantly talk about how she’s Labour to the bone because she’s from Birmingham and thinks olives are posh.

https://twitter.com/multi_joe/status/1104377394104807424

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol my twitter account got suspended for using the racial slur "Hokny"

Twitter Admins are actual piss babies.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Insane that Labour no longer supports the cause of normal everyday working class people like Alan Sugar. Increasing taxes on the working class! What’s next, writing the vowels in Brmnghm?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

jabby posted:

I was honestly close to tears on this today. When her dad apologised, like seriously wtf is he apologising for, he just wants his daughter home, even if she has to go to prison.

Not sure why I'm so affected by it, the fact I have a young kid maybe, but gently caress em, screw any home secretary who puts politics above the lives of children.

In any sane time Javid would have gone for this and it would have been completely justified.

Edit: I hope he still does go. I hope this ends any chance of him ever being PM. If you won't help some of the most vulnerable children on earth you can get in the sea.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 10, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Zalakwe posted:

I was honestly close to tears on this today. When her dad apologised, like seriously wtf is he apologising for, he just wants his daughter home, even if she has to go to prison.

Not sure why I'm so affected by it, the fact I have a young kid maybe, but gently caress em, screw any home secretary who puts politics above the lives of children.

In any sane time Javid would have gone for this and it would have been completely justified.

Edit: I hope he still does go. I hope this ends any chance of him ever being PM. If you won't help some of the most vulnerable children on earth you can get in the sea.

He won’t go. And the majority of people won’t care about a dead non-white child because this is Britain in 2019.

Sorry.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

People don't realise that if the British government is willing to let innocent children die in a refugee camp in Syria, they're also going to let your innocent child die when they get separated from you at an airport in turkey, or when your cousin goes on holiday to Thailand and gets the death penalty for taking a packet of paracetamol into the country. Rights that the government selective enforces aren't worth anything.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sorry to interrupt actual serious discussion, but how would teenage William Hague and other middle aged politicians even have been reading Hansard under the covers back in the pre-smartphone, pre-kindle, pre-laptop days? Can you get a daily subscription to a print version of Hansard? Was he just reading the digest in The Times? The whole story doesn't add up imo.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

big scary monsters posted:

Sorry to interrupt actual serious discussion, but how would teenage William Hague and other middle aged politicians even have been reading Hansard under the covers back in the pre-smartphone, pre-kindle, pre-laptop days? Can you get a daily subscription to a print version of Hansard? Was he just reading the digest in The Times? The whole story doesn't add up imo.

It was (and might still be) published and printed in a daily edition. Back when I was at university, I stumbled across a collection of Hansards from the late 1940s in the depth of our library's book stacks while researching old exam papers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well it does look like you were trying to say 'honky' which is a pretty awful way of referring to black people

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rarity posted:

Well it does look like you were trying to say 'honky' which is a pretty awful way of referring to black people
Yeah, it's pretty awful to call black people white.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
...isn’t honky black slang for white people? in which case I’m not surprised Twitter banned you for such disgraceful Anti-White Racism

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it's pretty awful to call black people white.

Durr, I'm an idiot :doh:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If we get a no-deal Brexit, which seems likely to me, nobody's going to remember or care about any of this anti-semitism, Corbynism on the retreat stuff. People will be much too busy trying to secure the basics of existence while blaming the Tories for the mess we're in. God only knows what'll happen after that but right now, we're still in this weird 'phoney war' phase of Brexit, with the Westminister bubble concentrating on the usual trivial bullshit while the country hurtles towards a cliff edge.

(I think no-deal Brexit is likely 'cos it's the default option if nothing else can be agreed on and it's very clear that there's no Parliamentary majority for anything else.)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is this vaporwave?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Never ceases to amaze that people liking Corbyn for his bold policies is a 'personality cult' but its brilliant for large sections of the media and Tory parry to spunk all over Jess Phillips attitude/language/accent/clothes. Basically everything about her personality rather than what she stands for.

Also interesting that she's written a piece about Begum's child dying. Anyone remember if she spoke out against the decision to revoke her citizenship beforehand, or is this just more windsocking?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol if they think this will work

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1104656115126751233?s=19

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Yeah, go ahead and trigger a general election, guys, do it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kinda want Diane Abbott to tweet 'London Borough of Hokny' now to see what happens.

Other than the hundred idiots and bots yelling abuse as always.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It’s amazing how with every passing day pictures of May in the press make her look crazier and crazier.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Ratjaculation posted:

He won’t go. And the majority of people won’t care about a dead non-white child because this is Britain in 2019.

Sorry.

Yeah having slept those pints off I'm aware of this.

Think I might need to take a break from watching this car crash of a Government. Strangely compelling as it is sometimes.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Zalakwe posted:

Yeah having slept those pints off I'm aware of this.

Think I might need to take a break from watching this car crash of a Government. Strangely compelling as it is sometimes.

I've been enjoying my break but I want to come back to see the outcome of those Brexit votes - anyone tell me when they are? Wednesday?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

I've been enjoying my break but I want to come back to see the outcome of those Brexit votes - anyone tell me when they are? Wednesday?

Tuesday I think for the second vote on the deal, then Weds and Thurs for the further votes on No Deal and then delay. Which is exactly what we're gonna get, unless something seismic happens today or tomorrow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only time Brits care about dead kids is:
  • Tragic ryol bab or other celeb death
  • Photogenic white child murdered by evil ped and/or video game kids
  • nife krime! Why won't salad javid ban spatulas? (You'll only see photos of the victim if they're a Hokny tho)
  • Evil chav dad beat bab ded; with no examination of systemic issues other than "why do social services not have powers of precognition? This is do-gooders fault, even though it was us complaining when social services did take kids away."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Maugrim posted:

May will keep pushing them back until it looks like she can win them, so some time shortly after the sun consumes the earth I'd imagine. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If anyone didn't read that article btw it says that cabinet ministers expect another record defeat lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Jose posted:

If anyone didn't read that article btw it says that cabinet ministers expect another record defeat lol

Still giggle about that one amendment that went down like 600-24 against.

Ed https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/15/brexit-amendment-that-might-have-limited-pms-losses-is-rejected

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 10, 2019

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s amazing how with every passing day pictures of May in the press make her look crazier and crazier.

Its a conscious decision. Editors will always veto photos that give off the wrong impression so the fact most mainstream photos of may are showing her with unhinged expressions is trying to drive a point.

I'm sure someones done a study on it.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Borrovan u got a link to those research proposals? I was telling my gf about them

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Its a conscious decision. Editors will always veto photos that give off the wrong impression so the fact most mainstream photos of may are showing her with unhinged expressions is trying to drive a point.

Maybe there was no better one available

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mays plan as leaked by the cabinet was expecting this vote to lose by less than 100 votes so that she'd ask for an extension and have 2 more votes hopefully cutting that number down further leading to it scraping through as no deal becomes impossible to ignore due to not taking part in European elections

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

serious gaylord posted:

There’s definitely some initial work done in the area, but I couldn’t see anything that goes into that much of a specific.

Boomgaarden, H., Boukes, M. and Iorgoveanu, A., 2016. Image versus text: How newspaper reports affect evaluations of political candidates. International Journal of Communication, 10, p.27.
Vancouver https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/download/4250/1665

Lobinger, K. and Brantner, C., 2015. Likable, funny or ridiculous? A Q-sort study on audience perceptions of visual portrayals of politicians. Visual Communication, 14(1), pp.15-40. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1470357214554888

Bull, R. and Hawkes, C., 1982. Judging politicians by their faces. Political Studies, 30(1), pp.95-101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Tuesday I think for the second vote on the deal, then Weds and Thurs for the further votes on No Deal and then delay. Which is exactly what we're gonna get, unless something seismic happens today or tomorrow.

Okay, so applying the most accurate predictor of UK politics - "What is the stupidest possible outcome?" - I'm going to predict that the May Deal fails, No Deal is ruled out, but then the delay gets defeated.