Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
For the literally no one in this thread who doesn't already have it, Immortal Redneck is in the latest Fanatical bundle in the $4.99 price tier: Alliance Bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

risk of rain 2's basic gameplay actually works really well in a way that surprises me and for an early access game it's pretty drat robust already

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OutOfPrint posted:

For the literally no one in this thread who doesn't already have it, Immortal Redneck is in the latest Fanatical bundle in the $4.99 price tier: Alliance Bundle
and to repeat, it is good, even if the scroll system is bad, and probably worth five bones

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

risk of rain 2's basic gameplay actually works really well in a way that surprises me and for an early access game it's pretty drat robust already

The first one always struck me as having designed-within-limitations problems rather than polish or game feel issues. Do the flying skull guys still make an incongruous clank noise when they die?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and to repeat, it is good, even if the scroll system is bad, and probably worth five bones

Even after all the poo poo I've said about it, it is definitely worth $5. Just remember if you pick up scrolls you will have good runs ruined fairly regularly.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Anybody want to go halves on Risk of Rain 2? PM me here on on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Krauthammer/

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm the guy who didn't have it. Four runs in and I can tell it will give me more than the 7 canadabux i paid for it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I thought risk of rain 2 wasn't gonna work from the first images they revealed. I played it and within a minute it felt like a more expansive ROR1. you are faster but the enemies have new ways to get to you. it feels good already in the way think im gonna do some monsoon runs today

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Call Your Grandma posted:

I'm the guy who didn't have it. Four runs in and I can tell it will give me more than the 7 canadabux i paid for it.

Yeah, it's pretty wonderful for an action first person roguelite.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

Johnny Joestar posted:

remember risk of rain? the sequel is out in early access now, buy one get one until the 30th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632360/Risk_of_Rain_2/

Bought it immediately. I remember having a bunch of fun playing the first one co-op.

If anyone wants my second copy just send me a PM or something. My steam name is the same as my forum name.

The more people playing the more likely we can get some good co-op going.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think wanting every keystroke to be meaningful is an argument *for* auto-explore and an inventory that works with few keypresses. That's the whole point - if how I explore is mostly meaningless, an autoexplore button means I take the single action that is meaningful, "explore", and not false ones like "Do I go down or left first?".

Bit of a late reply, and I agree with you, but I conflate the two because it generally seems to come from types who put Nethack's insane reactivity above all other features, and reflexively distrust modern-ish developments like autoexplore. No one on the forum that birthed GoonCrawl thinks like that, but they do exist on the fringes of the internet.

IronicDongz posted:

for me it feels good but I also think near the end of me playing DCSS(after almost 4000 games) autoexplore felt really loving bad to me. it made me play badly in general, put me into a super 'mash autoexplore/autofight' mindset during a lot of the game. made me feel like I was arthropying my RL skill over time, but also I wasn't able to resist playing like that.
I agree here too, but I'd rather cut out tedium and have to refocus everytime I see an OoF than waste a cumulative hour of playtime wandering through empty rooms picking up gold and rations. The trick is making a dungeon that feels "big" and "alive" without needing a ton of empty space/minor treasures to keep it from turning into LineCrawl.

Harminoff posted:

Whatever unexplored is doing.

I haven't tried this one, I'll have to check it out!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ashnjack posted:

Bought it immediately. I remember having a bunch of fun playing the first one co-op.

If anyone wants my second copy just send me a PM or something. My steam name is the same as my forum name.

The more people playing the more likely we can get some good co-op going.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

dis astranagant posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm still trying to figure out how to unlock other characters.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Risk of Rain 2 is really good, especially with co-op. Just completed an 80 minute run with some randos and we all unlocked the Mercenary.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fayez Butts posted:

Risk of Rain 2 is really good, especially with co-op. Just completed an 80 minute run with some randos and we all unlocked the Mercenary.

I'm glad I did that part with other goons on discord, because I cannot for the life of me do jumping puzzles. It unlocks it for everyone thank god

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dackel posted:

I'm glad I did that part with other goons on discord, because I cannot for the life of me do jumping puzzles. It unlocks it for everyone thank god

Luckily, I had 13 hopoo feathers

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

if you check the logbook it tells you

-new robot- Beat the 1st teleporter event 5 times (you don't have to finish the stage just kill the boss and get the porter to 100% if you die after this during cleanup it still counts
Huntress Beat the 3rd teleporter event 1 time
1 character you have to find them and save them from being displaced in time
the other 2 have hints I cant even begin to decipher on the first day.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

-new robot- Beat the 1st teleporter event 5 times (you don't have to finish the stage just kill the boss and get the porter to 100% if you die after this during cleanup it still counts

Ok

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’ve been revisiting Barony recently and it seems quite a bit more compelling than initial release way back when.

Stacking items, automatic appraisal, alchemy, turning on or off hunger and the Minotaur and other stuff I haven’t lived long enough to see yet.

If you happen to get an alembic, be sure to experiment with acid.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 30, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Finally 100% completed Night of the Full Moon. Last achievement was Hello Grandma, which confusingly requires killing the Mystery Men in one turn. Tough to do, they have 600 health total and reset their debuffs twice. Eventually did it with Magician, using the blessings that double your mana cards and reduce cost when you play a counter. Combined with a Concentration and enough cost reducers to give me a 15-mana discount I was able to do it with two Poker Darts by carefully spacing out my Frailty effects.

I don't know if I'll go back to it again, but I definitely got my money's worth.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AkumaHokoru posted:

engineer you just have to complete 30 levels total

what does "find them and save them from being displaced in time" mean

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IronicDongz posted:

engineer you just have to complete 30 levels total

what does "find them and save them from being displaced in time" mean

To unlock the Artificer, you must save up to 10 lunar coins and get a blue portal (either by random chance after beating a stage or with a Lunar seed - in which case you will need to have 11 lunar coins since it costs one to activate it) to enter the Bazaar, then you can buy the Artificer's freedom and unlock her as a character.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
is the other one from opening the timed chest?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I think you can make it to the Obelisk by chance but to get the mercenary the quickest route is to loop twice.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

LordSloth posted:

be sure to experiment with acid.

:drugnerd:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IronicDongz posted:

is the other one from opening the timed chest?

Nah, timed chest unlocks an use item. To get Mercenary you need to go into the green portal, which shows up pretty reliably when looping, like on stage 6 or 7.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

LordSloth posted:

I’ve been revisiting Barony recently and it seems quite a bit more compelling than initial release way back when.

Stacking items, automatic appraisal, alchemy, turning on or off hunger and the Minotaur and other stuff I haven’t lived long enough to see yet.

If you happen to get an alembic, be sure to experiment with acid.

Being able to turn off the Minotaur means I'll go back to check it out. It already had hunger, why add another clock to keep you moving?

It's really fun coop except dying explodes all your stuff out like a pinata and you come back naked on the next floor. It's hard to gather up a fallen buddy's stuff to give back on the next level.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

A Strange Aeon posted:

Being able to turn off the Minotaur means I'll go back to check it out. It already had hunger, why add another clock to keep you moving?

It's really fun coop except dying explodes all your stuff out like a pinata and you come back naked on the next floor. It's hard to gather up a fallen buddy's stuff to give back on the next level.

There is an option (for mp only) to keep all your loot on death. There’s also one for turning off most traps, but if you don’t want comedy Boulder deaths I don’t know you.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What's the deal with the radio towers in RoR2? I have yet to see one.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having had more chance to play risk of rain 2, this time with the friend i gave my free copy to, it seriously is a really solid game already and this is coming from someone who had genuine, serious doubts about whether they'd be able to port the game to 3d and keep the same general 'feel'

they absolutely did and it's not a 1:1 thing but they translated enough of it over to where it's going to feel familiar yet there's enough that's completely fresh to make it worth checking this out and not just booting up the first game again

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
RoR2 is definitely good. It plays like a more polished and much faster EDF. It has some issues, being a newly released EA game, but it's a drat good time.

Oddly, my biggest issue is that the only randomization in the levels are the chest, enemy, and teleporter locations. The levels themselves are static. I'd like to see some architectural variation, something like vaults in DC:SS or Spelunky, where pre-made rooms and structures are sprinkled through the level. Considering hand-made levels are a selling point on the Steam store page, fully procedurally generated levels are probably not going to happen.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

RoR2 is definitely good. It plays like a more polished and much faster EDF. It has some issues, being a newly released EA game, but it's a drat good time.

Oddly, my biggest issue is that the only randomization in the levels are the chest, enemy, and teleporter locations. The levels themselves are static. I'd like to see some architectural variation, something like vaults in DC:SS or Spelunky, where pre-made rooms and structures are sprinkled through the level. Considering hand-made levels are a selling point on the Steam store page, fully procedurally generated levels are probably not going to happen.

That's how it worked in RoR1, they randomly had some variations like say some platforms existed in some runs and in other they didn't. Same thing in RoR2, for example in one of the first possible levels there's a big stone door that may or may not be open.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

OutOfPrint posted:

My biggest problem with the game is that visually the teleporter is totally indistinct from the rest of the environment. It can be a huge hassle to find that stupid thing

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

punished milkman posted:

My biggest problem with the game is that visually the teleporter is totally indistinct from the rest of the environment. It can be a huge hassle to find that stupid thing

Good news: in the development thoughts post yesterday

Hopoo posted:

• Hearing loud & clear about Teleporter being hard to see - want to make it still an aspect of the game without it feeling like a mistake. Players are not really noticing the passive particles - will start with a soft approach first.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

The teleporter is the worst, but the visibility of everything is really pretty bad. Where's Waldo shouldn't be 'an aspect of the game' at all. Just put in interactable object outlines like every other modern 3D game, please.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

punished milkman posted:

It gets a little easier to spot when you start looking for the orange sparks around the center bit instead of looking for the teleporter's silhouette.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only level I have trouble with finding tele is the swamp. I can't say I ever have trouble spotting anything else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cogmind's April Fool's Event is... pretty wild!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cogmind's April Fool's Event is... pretty wild!

gently caress. Fuckfuckfuckfufckfuckfufck. Cogmind not opening/crash-on-open after latest patch. Probably a proton issue. Eff me, missing out on April's fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Serephina posted:

gently caress. Fuckfuckfuckfufckfuckfufck. Cogmind not opening/crash-on-open after latest patch. Probably a proton issue. Eff me, missing out on April's fools.

quote:

AFD 2019 normally autoactivates for new runs on 4/1, but if you want to play on another day, rather than having to change your system time like before, I've added a new option you might prefer, the "-forceAFD2019" command line parameter. (In Steam this is Cogmind > Properties > Set Launch Options...) If you don't want to play this special mode on 4/1, the "-noAFD" switch will block it.

e: Also seriously go tweet at Kyzrati, I don't know why your game isn't working and he's usually fast with help