Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Subsistence farming to restore sovereignty.

e:1932 - Benelux agrees its customs union, destroying so much sovereignty.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

Disappointed in how few of you took my getting fat idea seriously

I did it Jose, I got fat.

However this will have limited impact on my ability to survive brexit, I just did it to fit into the Midwest

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My stash is mainly canned food (veg, beans, fish, meat, plus a few cans of spaghetti etc) so it could be eaten straight out of the can without needing either rehydrating or fuel. I do however have a mini gas stove (from Millets) and 16 butane bottles to go with it.

From my Y2K Millenium Bug preps, I had 6 months worth of everything in - including food and water for 2 cats. As society didn't collapse, I judiciously used up my supplies generally one day a week was those. (Except when I had real flu - as opposed to man flu - and for 3 weeks was eternally grateful for my stash so I didn't have to brave the wilds of the supermarket).

I've never had the flu it owns

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I can't parse this. She voted against all of that stuff last night ???

Her big brain plan is that she will vote them down individually but will vote for them only if they're all put together.

Why didn't she table that yesterday? Because she's a grifter.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
If you are prepping late, buy poo poo you would eat anyway and chuck the basic details into excel so you know when that poo poo expires without having to check through it all.

It also lets you count your calories and see how long all those tins and packets will actually keep you going

feedmegin posted:

Great hotdogs, though

Aye, massive hotdog with a bunch of cheese, fried onions and about a tins worth of chilli was like £2.20 last time I was in one.

Generally, lidl, aldi and asda have been my stock up places

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The awkward thing about prepping for Brexit is trying to gauge how far to go and balancing that against how silly you feel. If I’m just expecting the shops to be a bit bare for a week I can stock up on some tins and call it a day, but if I’m expecting a longer term issue where water filtration can’t be trusted then I need to buy a colossal amount of bottled water which is an enormous expensive annoyance and seems a little bit insane.

I don’t know if I should be preparing for minor shortages or actual survivalist poo poo because this whole situation is totally insane to start with and it’s going to get exponentially crazier when you throw in the reactions of your average British punter and our underfunded thug police force.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Rustybear posted:

Have any of you tried boiling say 200g of dried chickpeas on your compact gas burner? How did it go?

Seems like you really want to tell us about your camping holidays?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The problem is that trade deals normally take years to negotiate, especially if you want fair terms. If we crash out without a deal, we could be hosed for a very long time.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Just do a big shop to last two weeks if you're worried, trying to buy and store enough supplies to survive without external support for more than say a month is impossible without massive outlay and planning that is frankly already too late.

A 5kg bag of rice is all very well until you start trying to factor in the amount of gas/water you're gonna need per 100g of rice boiled and so forth. It's literally pointless excluding some carefully constructed scenario where all the hard stuff is taken care of you just cba to leave the house few days. If you really want to try you priorities are water > fuel > food, if you're starting with food you already hosed up.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Seems like you really want to tell us about your camping holidays?

It took about 3 minutes to boil a cup of lukewarm tea so we packed it in as a bad job and went to the pub instead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

this is disappointing https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/1113066880229629952

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I can't parse this. She voted against all of that stuff last night ???

Soubry's thing has always been voting the opposite way to the rhetoric she shits out, luckily in this case she and her fellow CUKs are coming out with this poo poo less than 12 hours after showing they're going to drat the country to no-deal and without the personal benefits (shitloads of money) that Mogg, May, etc will be getting

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Whats the point in having a whip if there are no repercussions for ignoring it?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Grey Hunter posted:

Whats the point in having a whip if there are no repercussions for ignoring it?

Maybe they should replace the whip with a Cat o' nine tails?

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Loo roll > water > fuel > food, imo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Do you think Jeremy feels a little apprehensive about whip defying Labour MPs due to his own history?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

VideoGames posted:

Do you think Jeremy feels a little apprehensive about whip defying Labour MPs due to his own history?

shouldn't apply to the front bench, that's an erosion of collective responsibility and a very dangerous game to be playing for corbs

probably the issue is that he finally has a front bench which doesn't actively work to undermine him and these people have probably been loyal through all the earlier ugliness, meaning that he's significantly weakened if they go

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Corbyn was never on the front bench when he did that though, which is the significant part.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Whats he supposed to do with them? Anyway Shadow cabinet roles seem a bit pointless when everything it about brexit all the time.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also they're old awkward squadmates, which means that they've been through the desert together. that sort of thing breeds loyalty, and is probably why corbyn doesn't want to pull the trigger

they really should have resigned, though, it would make everything much easier and they could be reinstated on a later date

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If Corbyn was in the habit of exiling rebels to the backbenches, his pool of eligible frontbench candidates would be vanishingly small. He'd run out of MPs who a) were able to sit on the frontbench and b) wanted to within a couple of years. Pragmatically he can't afford to be the world's strictest disciplinarian.

Plus there's an argument that he shouldn't want to: the whole "kinder, gentler politics", tolerance of different opinions, etc is one of his appeal points. And yeah - it definitely opens him up to accusations of hypocrisy if he's too heavy-handed. I think those are secondary concerns, though. The primary issue is that he would literally run out of experienced MPs who were willing to sit on a Corbyn frontbench.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Rustybear posted:

Just do a big shop to last two weeks if you're worried, trying to buy and store enough supplies to survive without external support for more than say a month is impossible

Sure, but if food prices go up - as is forecast - I'm going to be glad of all the non-perishables I have managed to buy over the last 6 months or so. It's no sillier than having other kinds of savings. (Also big shops not easy for everybody.)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean... really, mate? Really? You don't think this might be a little hyperbolic and silly?

https://twitter.com/jeremybrier/status/1112432227286167556?s=19
Going to recommend that everyone puts on their special eclipse-viewing glasses before viewing the white-hot solar effervescence of this take
https://mobile.twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1112436622476365825

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hentai Jihadist posted:

British tomatoes taste like watery gently caress all its a national shame imo

Get used to all produce tasting like crap and having no nutrition in the carbon apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_K2Ata6XY

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bedshaped posted:

Get used to all produce tasting like crap and having no nutrition in the carbon apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_K2Ata6XY

Ehh. Whenever the word nutrition comes up in this sort of context I get a bit leery.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 2, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Going to recommend that everyone puts on their special eclipse-viewing glasses before viewing the white-hot solar effervescence of this take
https://mobile.twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1112436622476365825

If the British Union of Fascists were around today they'd be targetting Muslims, praising Israel and Pollard would be tripping over his own dick to praise them.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Private Speech posted:

Ehh. Whenever the word nutrition comes up in this sort of context I get a bit leery.

In the video he does mention the "greening of planet earth" which suddenly makes me :thunk: that channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greening_of_Planet_Earth

quote:

The Greening of Planet Earth is a half-hour-long video produced by the coal industry, which argues that rising CO2 levels will be beneficial to agriculture, and that policies intending to reduce CO2 levels are therefore misguided.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Bedshaped posted:

In the video he does mention the "greening of planet earth" which suddenly makes me :thunk: that channel.

can we just shoot everyone in charge of the coal industry tia

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bedshaped posted:

I liked how he said that the increasing CO2 concentration made cereals put on more carbs. As if that's a bad thing when you're worried about having enough food and such.

Now given the kind of sources he has that's probably not true either, but hey.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OH NO https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1113086639268683776

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This time it's the British People who have failed the Will of the British People.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't get erect excited about TV statements anymore because they're always so loving disappointing. I hope to be surprised.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NOTHING

HAS

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGED

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rustybear posted:

A 5kg bag of rice is all very well until you start trying to factor in the amount of gas/water you're gonna need per 100g of rice boiled and so forth. It's literally pointless excluding some carefully constructed scenario where all the hard stuff is taken care of you just cba to leave the house few days. If you really want to try you priorities are water > fuel > food, if you're starting with food you already hosed up.

This is only true if the likelihoods of food/water/electricity shortages are the same, which they quite clearly aren't.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Eh, if it happens she'll just be repeating the usual bilge.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

NOTHING

HAS

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGED

What's changed is this development no longer excites. Talk about the girl who cried wolf. Just gently caress off already.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OH PHEW https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1113087711659921409?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

A few pages ago but... "Stalinism personified"? I thought Stalinism didn't need personifying, what with Stalin being a person and all

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A few pages ago but... "Stalinism personified"? I thought Stalinism didn't need personifying, what with Stalin being a person and all

oh thanks now that tweet's in my head again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I have a question about the fat scottish dude.

Whenever he makes a speech, he aggressively says that Scotland will leave the union and join the EU. Whether that is realistic or not, everyone just ignores him. Isn't that kind of talk illegal? If I remember correctly, you guys even went and invaded Scotland a couple of times when they tried this.

Is it basically just a joke? That dude seems pretty serious.