Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this! posted:

20 year anniversary has me thinking about The Matrix and how the characters of Switch and Apoc basically just exist to get killed.

I can't speak for Apoc, but Switch was originally going to be sort-of-trans, in that she was going to be a woman in the real world, as she actually is, but her 'digital image' (or whatever it's called) in The Matrix was going to be a man, as a sort of 'glitch.'

The implications with that idea and the Wachowski's bring trans themselves are pretty interesting, though being cis-scum myself I'm hardly qualified to comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Most secondary characters only exist to die or push the storyline forward for the main protagonists.

I always thought Switch was cool. She had the best last words.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I preferred Mouse's last words

"Aarrrrrrghhghhhghhgaghgofoeaijfeoijjjuhh....."

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

He should have captioned it, "Please, no meat touching, ma'am!" It'd have been funnier.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most secondary characters only exist to die or push the storyline forward for the main protagonists.

I always thought Switch was cool. She had the best last words.

Every once in a while me and a friend will look at each other and one of us will shake their heads sadly and say “not like this!”

Switch deserved the Oscar.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My favorite bit from the secondary parts in The Matrix is when Tank kills Cypher he does that thing where he spits at him disgustedly. "Pooah!"

Apparently the actor who played Tank got a big head after the movie became such a monster hit and demanded ridiculous money for the sequels. The studio was just like nah, and easily replaced him lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does Tank even do the joke airline passenger speech when he's never been on an airplane in his life.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does Tank even do the joke airline passenger speech when he's never been on an airplane in his life.

Well, he's probably experienced it indirectly through the Matrix.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, he's probably experienced it indirectly through the Matrix.

Tank's one of the people born outside the Matrix.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess he could have watched movies and stuff through the Matrix code.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He's also surrounded by people who lived most of their life in the matrix.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

The Matrix isn't a very god film.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mu Zeta posted:

I have to wonder if everyone else there is sick of that fuckin' joke.

Like,
'Ugh, God drat it, we unplugged another person from The Matrix, Tank is going to make that same tired-rear end, cliched joke...again...sure is funnier the twentieth time!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How many times has Cypher done the Wizard of Oz joke. That's the real reason why Tank wants him to burn in hell.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

The Matrix isn't a very god film.

Yeah, it’s a Jesus movie.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mu Zeta posted:

In Lord of the Rings, one of the Uruks says "looks like meat's back on the menu, boys", thereby implying this bloodthirsty killing machine bred from dark magic is aware of what a menu is

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm flipping through the script and Tank does a few different pop culture references that he's never personally experienced:

Tank, page 46 posted:

Hey, Mikey, he likes it! Ready for more?

Tank, page 62 posted:

Here you go, buddy. Breakfast of champions.

Tank, page 64 posted:

All right, everyone please observe that the no smoking and fasten seat belt signs have been turned on. Sit back and enjoy your flight.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm flipping through the script and Tank does a few different pop culture references that he's never personally experienced:

This pretty much just means he's the Matrix equivalent of a memelord

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

20 year anniversary has me thinking about The Matrix and how the characters of Switch and Apoc basically just exist to get killed.

FreudianSlippers posted:

We all do, dude.

We all do.

It's too bad they didn't live. But then again, who does?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's too bad they didn't live. But then again, who does?

Jesus.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You can't really know someone until you fight them

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Evilreaver posted:

In Lord of the Rings, one of the Uruks says "looks like meat's back on the menu, boys", thereby implying this bloodthirsty killing machine bred from dark magic is aware of what a menu is
At one point, Gimli yells, "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" I guess menus are just an extremely common thing in Middle Earth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

These are Saruman's orcs, do you really think he's the type of guy who wouldn't put his orcs in suits and make them pretend to be waiters.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
My iimm with the Matrix movies is that the first one has really good cinematography and tons of cool shots with interesting perspectives that make the whole thing look like a moody comic book and the second two are shot like an AI trained on Michael Bay did edited them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

The Hobbits were so surprised that beer came in pints in a tavern which implies an organized system of food delivery in a market economy and I didn't see any singing waiters so...menus.

Aren't Uruk's half man/half orcs or something? Maybe their human side still harbors faint memories of a Caribou Coffee in Minas Tirith.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being a Hobbit is probably pretty cost effective if you live among humans because a small cheap portion for humans is huge for you so you get far more bang for your buck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Being a Hobbit is probably pretty cost effective if you live among humans because a small cheap portion for humans is huge for you so you get far more bang for your buck.

Hobbits eat less, but they eat more often. Your cost savings are a wash.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^holy poo poo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Judging from the number of meals they eat it probably ends up a wash.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Evilreaver posted:

Don't forget, Han Solo believes in hell.

Van Dis posted:

My iimm with the Matrix movies is that the first one has really good cinematography and tons of cool shots with interesting perspectives that make the whole thing look like a moody comic book and the second two are shot like an AI trained on Michael Bay did edited them.

Well they did have comic artists do the storyboards for the original. :10bux: says they never expected to do sequels, but they did all this prep work to make the first one feel special. The first movie definitely is written in a way for it to be self-contained, albeit with a slightly open ending.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Hobbits would have a base 20 number system and everyone would hate them.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The manga/anime Hunter X Hunter takes place on a wacky fantasy world, but at one point a character explicitly references Judas selling out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dr Christmas posted:

The manga/anime Hunter X Hunter takes place on a wacky fantasy world, but at one point a character explicitly references Judas selling out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

I prefer my anecdotes to be fake.

quote:

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Christmas posted:

If you're going to go crazy, go all the way

https://twitter.com/HeroKingHelix/status/935277711601389568

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kramdar posted:

Don't forget, Han Solo believes in hell.

Extremely not necessarily at all

I guess someone does or did for him to have the expression, though. "Place of ultimate suffering" isn't a particularly deep idea for a culture to develop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The fun thing is that I think I've heard that battling tops as toys may go back to ancient Egypt.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun thing is that I think I've heard that [game] may go back to ancient Egypt.

That was the original gimmick for Yugioh before the Magic the Gathering parody took over.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fun thing is that I think I've heard that battling tops as toys may go back to ancient Egypt.

Little known facts about dreidels...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

I prefer my anecdotes to be fake.

On the Ghostbusters quote, I think something that helps those fake anecdotes is that it uses very evocative language - like a "Large and moving Torg" implying that a Torg wouldn't normally move, calling into question exactly what a Torg is. The fact that it moving is notable is what captures the imagination of the viewer. It also brings to mind the idea that Gozer the Traveller can't be tricked - maybe they came up with a Torg intending for it to cement Gozer in place and neutralise him like convincing a shapeshifter to turn into acid so he can't reconstitute, but "Oh poo poo, the Torg is coming after us that shouldn't be HAPPENING! :gonk:"

Even calling him Gozer the Traveller says something, he's not called the Destroyer. Maybe destruction is ancilliary, just something that happens due to his volatile nature. Certainly the demigod explaining the rules implies he intends to destroy, but what if she's wrong about that, and the reason for choosing his form is to choose something that he can comfortably exist in. Hundreds of millions of years of people loving up by imagining something too big to comfortably move, when he just wants to visit, because a goddess keeps explaining the rules wrong.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Apr 3, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The lady was Gozer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Byzantine posted:

That was the original gimmick for Yugioh before the Magic the Gathering parody took over.

Even after the card game took over that was still the plot. They have the guy who created the card game say that he was in Egypt when he saw stone tablets with monsters carved into them and that inspired the game. Then they reveal that the stone tablets actually summoned monsters.