Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Chinook posted:

I'd like a game where you can build up a farm, or town, or even an entire civilization, possibly with multiple tech trees, barbarians, etc. But I'd like it to be EASY. It can be turn based or real time. But I don't want to be steamrolled in the late game. Just something I can play to relax while listening to podcasts or half watching shows.

It can be old. I have tons of games on steam that I haven't given much of a chance over the last ten years or so. Anno maybe? Crusader Kings?

One of the Tropico games? I think you can turn off rebels in the settings maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Voxx posted:

Looking for RPGs with good character/class customization. I've liked neverwinter 2, divinity original sin 1/2, elder scrolls, mass effect, path of exile, grim dawn. Similarly class based jrpgs like bravely default, ff5, octopath sort of fit this itch as well but I'm looking most western right now.

Tried getting into dungeon crawlers which are close to what I want, but I get tired of them mid way through. like grimrock, EO series, and darkest dungeon. To clarify I somewhat like these games they just feel tedious.

Well, it's more like FFT, but I enjoyed Voidspire Tactics a lot. Enough to play through it three times.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Voxx posted:

Looking for RPGs with good character/class customization. I've liked neverwinter 2, divinity original sin 1/2, elder scrolls, mass effect, path of exile, grim dawn. Similarly class based jrpgs like bravely default, ff5, octopath sort of fit this itch as well but I'm looking most western right now.

Tried getting into dungeon crawlers which are close to what I want, but I get tired of them mid way through. like grimrock, EO series, and darkest dungeon. To clarify I somewhat like these games they just feel tedious.

I assume you’ve played all of the class of old crpgs:
Baldur’s Gate series
Icewind Dale series
Arcanum
Fallout 1 and 2
?Temple of Elemental Evil if you’ve done all those?

And the new class of crpgs:
Pillars of Eternity series
Shadowrun series
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

McFrugal posted:

Well, it's more like FFT, but I enjoyed Voidspire Tactics a lot. Enough to play through it three times.

I'll look into that one, thanks

Cantorsdust posted:

I assume you’ve played all of the class of old crpgs:
Baldur’s Gate series
Icewind Dale series
Arcanum
Fallout 1 and 2
?Temple of Elemental Evil if you’ve done all those?

And the new class of crpgs:
Pillars of Eternity series
Shadowrun series
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The classics I've played a good bit of long ago, but can't get into again because of interface pain and to be honest I've gotten tired of RTWP. So to go with that I haven't played through Pillars or the new Pathfinder as of yet. I've played shadowrun and that was good as well, but I guess I didn't get around to getting dragonfall so I'll think of that next. Thanks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
FWIW, Pillars 2 added an actual factual turn-based mode.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Voxx posted:

Age of Decadence is very good, but rough around the edges. Fallout 1 and 2 fit, if you haven't played them. You could try the new Shadowrun games as well.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Dragonfall is really good.

I remember Wasteland 2 having pretty good character creation stuff... but don't remember much about the actual game which may not be the best sign.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Nthing dragonfall

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is there a picross game remotely as fleshed out as Pokemon picross? with abilities and special goals and poo poo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

are there any good stealth games where, isntead of trying to go through the level undetected, the goal is to stealthily murder all the enemies? i want a game where i feel less like a ninja, and more like a slasher movie villian, coming out of the shadows to shank an unsuspecting victim, then disappearing before his buddies can turn around and shoot me

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good stealth games where, isntead of trying to go through the level undetected, the goal is to stealthily murder all the enemies? i want a game where i feel less like a ninja, and more like a slasher movie villian, coming out of the shadows to shank an unsuspecting victim, then disappearing before his buddies can turn around and shoot me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8rO5H6j2w

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Aragami is a game where you're a magical shadow monster on some sort of mission to help whoever brought you to life, and there's medals at the end of each stage both for not killing a single enemy and for kill ALL enemies. (your quest is partly revenge-inspired)

The enemies one-hit kill you with their light infused swords, so you better get your stealth on to violently backstab them all.

It's kind of a janky indie game, but it's fun for a couple afternoons or evenings.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dunno if gun-based stealth is included in what you're after but Splinter Cell Conviction and better still Blacklist both let you go all in on lethal force. Ghost Recon Wildlands does much the same but in an open world/co-op friendly format. Or there's the modern Farcry games with the added bonus that on top of murdering dudes directly you can sic wild animals on them.

For a very direct "slasher villain" kind of feel there's the stealth segments in the Batman Arkham games (not lethal, obviously, but the enemies will lose their poo poo) or the the Predator and Alien bits of the various Aliens vs. Predator games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ninjewtsu posted:

All the Tenchu games. You get points for murder. But I think you know that already.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Afriscipio posted:

Age of Decadence is very good, but rough around the edges. Fallout 1 and 2 fit, if you haven't played them. You could try the new Shadowrun games as well.

My impression of Age of Decadence was that they wanted to make combat non-viable (or almost), but they ended up with "stat checks - the game" as an alternative. It also looks like crap. It's the kind of game I'd usually go for but IMO the execution was really bad.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Hitman
Tomb Raider
Party Hard
Gunpoint

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ninjewtsu posted:

Styx: Master of Shadows and the sequel are all about this nasty goblin who curses a lot, and really hates the human guards he kills. You can vomit up a puke clone of yourself that can hide in a container and assault bypassers, among other murder skills. There's very little point in leaving anyone alive. The gameplay is mediocre, but the killing atmosphere is top notch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

The Sniper Elite series is great for this. You can stealth through most of the level, but the game fully supports and encourages just killing everyone. You can sometimes just murder your way out of an alert. There's something zen about, in the midst of chaos, killing off nazis one by one, especially with slow-motion following the bullet through your enemy's vitals to give you time to reflect on things.

That's also one of the playstyles that Dishonored supports, even if the game tries to get on its moral high horse about it.

There's also the predator sections of Batman Arkham Asylum, although nominally there's no killing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

Alien and Predator campaigns of AvP 1&2

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

I can't think of any where it's mandatory that you murder your way through the level, but I can think of a few where it's very much supported and encouraged.

Dishonored and Dishonored 2 have achievements for killing every enemy, as well as special (technically "bad" but also more thematically appropriate imo) endings for doing more murder than pure stealth, and the first one, in particular, plays much better if you constantly merk the guards.

Shadow Tactics has you literally playing ninjas, but is mostly designed on the assumption that you will be killing your way through the level with ambushes, traps, and picking off lone stragglers; completing a level without killing anyone is a super-hard challenge mode, not the default experience. It's also easily the best game of 2016.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Splicer posted:

Alien and Predator campaigns of AvP 1&2

I would say the AvP 2010 works for this as well. Some of the kills that you do as the Predator are just insane. You are straight up ripping spines out of motherfuckers with their heads still attached as they look at you in horror

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would say the AvP 2010 works for this as well. Some of the kills that you do as the Predator are just insane. You are straight up ripping spines out of motherfuckers with their heads still attached as they look at you in horror
I did not like the alien movement and attacks in AvP 2010. I can't really remember why, just that it was very different to AvP 1&2 and I just wanted oAvP with better graphics and netcode.

This is not an unrecommendation I'm just complaining.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking for a factorio or other development game with a focus on not loving up the environment. Ideal would be a game where you build an ecosystem from the ground up.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
SimIsle :v:

Well, you can gently caress up the environment if you want there, but you don't HAVE to. I liked it back in the day, but from what I remember it was still kind of meh and hasn't aged well either.

SimEarth has the ecosystem thing going for it I guess, but that's about it.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 21, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So I've just beaten the base game of Shadow of Mordor. Though I of course do plan to get to the DLC in a while, I'm already interested to know if there's other games with something similar to the Uruk hierarchy and messing around with it (or just watching it play itself if you feel like it)? I know of course there's Shadow of War, which I do plan to get eventually, but it'll be a while especially since I kinda don't wanna deal with the 'dead Uruks come back with brain damage' thing that can happen and which personally irks me quite a bit (and I hear can be even worse in War relative to Mordor).

But either way, more ideas are more than welcome!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Splicer posted:

Looking for a factorio or other development game with a focus on not loving up the environment. Ideal would be a game where you build an ecosystem from the ground up.

Factory Town doesn’t have pollution and is somewhat similar to Factorio.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So I've just beaten the base game of Shadow of Mordor. Though I of course do plan to get to the DLC in a while, I'm already interested to know if there's other games with something similar to the Uruk hierarchy and messing around with it (or just watching it play itself if you feel like it)? I know of course there's Shadow of War, which I do plan to get eventually, but it'll be a while especially since I kinda don't wanna deal with the 'dead Uruks come back with brain damage' thing that can happen and which personally irks me quite a bit (and I hear can be even worse in War relative to Mordor).

But either way, more ideas are more than welcome!

if you're talking about the nemesis system here, there's unfortunately nothing out there like it. which is amazing to me, that developers wouldn't be trying to rip that off for emergent gameplay at all in the time monolith puts out 2 titles using it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

the nucas posted:

if you're talking about the nemesis system here, there's unfortunately nothing out there like it. which is amazing to me, that developers wouldn't be trying to rip that off for emergent gameplay at all in the time monolith puts out 2 titles using it.

There've been a few games that have aped parts of the Nemesis system. For example, XCOM2 War of the Chosen. The Chosen are ongoing mini-bosses who adapt and change between encounters, and do all sorts of shenanigans with your soldiers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is the whole package of Uruks fighting each other for dominance and you being able to mess with their affairs all together called the Nemesis system? Because yeah that's exactly what I meant. Really sad apparently it's only these two games at the moment, but oh well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The closest I can think is Last Federation, which is a lot like your standard 4X space game, but instead of controlling an entire society, you control a lone spaceship as last member of a dead race, and from that position you must nudge the intergalactic political system into creating another galactic federation.

Other than that, you might want to jump genres. Crusader Kings maybe?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The closest I can think is Last Federation, which is a lot like your standard 4X space game, but instead of controlling an entire society, you control a lone spaceship as last member of a dead race, and from that position you must nudge the intergalactic political system into creating another galactic federation.

Other than that, you might want to jump genres. Crusader Kings maybe?

Nah, CK ain't my thing. I think I have LF though, I might give it a go finally. Thanks for the suggestions!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, CK ain't my thing. I think I have LF though, I might give it a go finally. Thanks for the suggestions!
Drox Operative might be up your alley.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Drox Operative is cool, you play Diablo in space while the galaxy plays a 4X game around you and your actions influence the balance of power. Primitive graphics but easy to get into and I believe there’s a free demo on the store page.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I also already have that and heard that line many times before, should have thought to try it out for this! Thanks again!

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just picked up Hollow Knight. Having fun w it, would recommend.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In addition to Drox Operative, I can recommend Zombasite, by the same developer as Drox. The nemesis system there is probably not as pleasing and in-depth as in the Middle Earth games, but they keep you busy by leveling up, causing trouble, inciting invasions of your clan, and promoting those within their ranks who also level up and cause trouble. It's a messy drat game but it's entertaining. I blather a bit about it in the roguelike thread.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 21, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

why has nobody said Mark of the Ninja yet. Mark of the Ninja.

Also Ronin, a cool overlooked indie game from a couple years back that's essentially Mark of the Ninja + Gunpoint with extremely stylish sort of turn based combat

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Literally the first recommendation after the op.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjas are stealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Imp zone has a write up on stealth games, read that and post in there too.