Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

oh yeah microsoft owns obsidian, inxile and now double fine, kinda insane

Weren't they the major Fig companies? (still laughing at Fig trying to be a thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

super sweet best pal posted:

Weren't they the major Fig companies? (still laughing at Fig trying to be a thing)

Yup.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Looks like Shenmue 3 showed a trailer at the PC Gamer show (presented by Epic Games)

https://youtu.be/aSAqTmwY2eY

Also announced Epic Store exclusivity. Lol.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sankis posted:

Looks like Shenmue 3 showed a trailer at the PC Gamer show (presented by Epic Games)

https://youtu.be/aSAqTmwY2eY

Also announced Epic Store exclusivity. Lol.

Hahaha. Wow. Epic with the large wods of cash strikes again. I bet the Kickstarter comments are exploding something fierce.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
An asian dev is pretty much the only high profile case of a kickstarter taking epic money after the Phoenix Point debacle, so this isn't totally unexpected.

Also can I just say that a PC Games show hosted by Epic is like a gay pride parade hosted by Kevin Spacey?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I hope The Good Life doesn't do this too.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

CottonWolf posted:

Hahaha. Wow. Epic with the large wods of cash strikes again. I bet the Kickstarter comments are exploding something fierce.

fierce is a good word for that:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2532170

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DatonKallandor posted:

An asian dev is pretty much the only high profile case of a kickstarter taking epic money after the Phoenix Point debacle, so this isn't totally unexpected.

Also can I just say that a PC Games show hosted by Epic is like a gay pride parade hosted by Kevin Spacey?

A sexual predator hosting a pride event and a company you don't like hosting a show advertising video games are not at all alike. Sorry.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Like 90% of the games shown are launching on steam also so even not counting the gooney-rear end part of that analogy, it still wouldn't be all that accurate lol

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It’s so funny that this is randomly the point where pc gamers get incredibly indignant about downloading another client

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

why lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

It’s so funny that this is randomly the point where pc gamers get incredibly indignant about downloading another client

people have been against the Epic Store for a while now dude

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shenmue got way more money than they ever deserved to and still pulled this lol

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Technically both might seem appropriate to someone who doesn't know anything about either, but the moment you look at anything beyond the bare minimum, it just looks real bad.

vvv Edit: The fact that they're actively harming the PC games market?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 10, 2019

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Technically both are appropriate, but the moment you look at anything beyond the bare minimum, it just looks real bad.

what looks "real bad" about pc gaming company epic games hosting the pc games show

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm not a huge fan of the epic store either dude but goddamn

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

people have been against the Epic Store for a while now dude

Ya I meant the concept of the store itself. I mean I get it I’m not signing up for another place to spend my money but it’s still funny that this launcher (& its “exclusives”) are the line where so many ppl get rly indignant

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya I meant the concept of the store itself. I mean I get it I’m not signing up for another place to spend my money but it’s still funny that this launcher (& its “exclusives”) are the line where so many ppl get rly indignant
It's because Epic is just strong-arming their way into the PC storefronts by just buying devs out instead of actually trying to make a good storefront.

It's been months and Epic Store still doesn't even have a shopping cart function and Epic Store will ban you if you buy too many games at once for example.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I only saw one person comment on anything other than the EGS exclusivity, and all of the comments about it are asking for a refund. This would be a bad bet for the developer if they were under any legal obligation to refund anything donated to them.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

vvv Edit: The fact that they're actively harming the PC games market?

what is wrong with you lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OutOfPrint posted:

I only saw one person comment on anything other than the EGS exclusivity, and all of the comments about it are asking for a refund. This would be a bad bet for the developer if they were under any legal obligation to refund anything donated to them.

Out of 69k backers, how many are commenting?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fangz posted:

And also, how much money did Epic give them?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's Epic buying exclusivity from devs who had already put their games up on steam. There are plenty of other reasons to hate Epic, but those are mostly common things that you can laugh at or hate and may or may not be unfair but in a way that is considered normal enough that most people don't care. Paying people not to sell their product in a way they were clearly willing to do so isn't factually that far out of line with the rest, but it crosses a threshold that makes the power Epic wields and their disregard for how they wield it incredibly obvious to even the most casual watcher and that triggers reactions. It's extra annoying for people who pay for kickstarters because those people, even if they intellectually know that their $30 pre-purchase is a meaningless drop in the game budget, are motivated by a sense of camaraderie and helping and to have the business side so blatantly disregard them shatters that illusion. It also forces those people to have to pick a side because they can't just buy the game elsewhere or even not buy it at all.

Capitalism loves to manipulate human psychology, it's no surprise that it backfires when they fail at it.

Fangz posted:

There's 550+ comments in 2 hours. 49 likes on the update.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

And also, how much money did Epic give them?

If it's like other cases, probably more than the entire amount raised.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That was my assumption.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think people did speculate that the original amount they raised was not nearly enough to complete the game, given Shenmue 2 cost like 50 million dollars to make.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Shenmue III got millions of dollars through crowdfunding, got money from Sony and now got to top it off by getting millions from epic.

Yu Suzuki is a loving genius and I won't listen to anyone saying otherwise.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sivek posted:

Shenmue III got millions of dollars through crowdfunding, got money from Sony and now got to top it off by getting millions from epic.

Yu Suzuki is a loving genius and I won't listen to anyone saying otherwise.

Not to mention what he got from Deep Silver. From a capitalist perspective, he's crushing it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

OutOfPrint posted:

Not to mention what he got from Deep Silver. From a capitalist perspective, he's crushing it.

Plus he managed to basically write the videogame equivalent of a three-part epic. Not many videogame trilogies get finished.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This is probably the only time he's gonna get money out of people though. And its gonna be funny when most of this cash isn't even used for the game or developers, it just goes to his trips to china or whatever.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

CottonWolf posted:

Plus he managed to basically write the videogame equivalent of a three-part epic. Not many videogame trilogies get finished.

It was originally intended to be a decalogy, and died for over a decade after the second part, so he didn’t quite pull it off...

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
i cant even imagine kickstarting a game partially backed by a major publisher, even pre-ordering games is pointless and you're skipping right past that and *donating* to them? what legal recourse are people expecting to get from what is essentially pbs sending you the wrong color tote-bag?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Former mod Shalinor's Tony Hawk But Birds has a kickstarter that launched today with a 20,000 goal (& a demo)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meganfox/skatebird-be-a-skateboarding-bird?ref=profile_created
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-j9490u0TA

(or maybe the closer parallel is Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure but with birds?)

Anyways beyond it feeling 'right' a game like this (for me) lives or dies on its level design & combo system, haven't played the demo but i don't like the lack of manuals as combo-extenders (reverts too i guess but those are basically on by default in this). If ur gonna copy Tony Hawk why not copy it whole-hog?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It gets better:

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

It gets better:

Even though I'm going with the PS4 version, I am so mad now :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boy that seems pretty lovely huh

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
6 hours or so left on the R-Type Final 2 kickstarter, they might end up raising enough for another remade classic level by the end https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/granzella/r-type-final-2-aiming-for-a-brand-new-the-best-shmup-ever

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Terminally Bored posted:

It gets better:

i feel bad for finding this funny, but hey kickstarter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you’re going to be more than mildly disappointed if project turns to dust, you may not be temperamentally suited for Kickstarter. Changing the packaging or delivery mechanism of your thank you gift is trivia. Don’t treat it as a store—it’s a way to support creative endeavours financially and possibly participate in some minor way in its success, if and however such success occurs. Everyone in this thread, at the least, should know better by now several times over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also, if something has been funded many times over and was introduced on stage at E3 by sony, they don't need your money and never did. Wait for it to come out. It's fine.